Microsoft releases a new programming language: Bosque

jonasclaesbe

A few days ago, Microsoft released a new programming language called "Bosque", you can find more info about it right here:

https://github.com/Microsoft/BosqueLanguage

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/research/publication/regularized-programming-with-the-bosque-language/

https://dev.to/0xrumple/all-what-you-need-to-know-about-microsoft-s-new-programming-language-bosque-38c0

What are your thoughts about this new language?

I think it's pretty cool to see a new language, although since it's based upon JavaScript, it will not improve the core JavaScript functionality rather than just 'wrapping it in a new coat'.

Just a bit here and a byte there.

Bosque sounds more like a home appliances than a language. Isn't there one already.

Edit: it's power tools not home appliances.

https://www.boschtools.com/us/en/

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

This is literally like Javascript had a child with C# expressions / lambda. Still 100% crossplatform.

25 minutes ago, jonasclaesbe said:

I think it's pretty cool to see a new language, although since it's based upon JavaScript, it will not improve the core JavaScript functionality rather than just 'wrapping it in a new coat'.

@GoodBytes @leadeater

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

Not a developer myself but it looks like an extension to TypeScript -- wouldn't call it a new language 

🙂

3 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

Bosque sounds more like a home appliances than a language. Isn't there one already.

Edit: it's power tools not home appliances.

https://www.boschtools.com/us/en/

The name reminded me personally more of Basque, the region... almost-country.. thing in Spain/France.

I mean, I feel like "Bosque" would be pronounced like "Bask", but with an 'O', while Bosch is pronounced more like "posh", but with a 'B'.

But from reading the introduction on Github and seeing the examples, it really does look like C#, but simpler.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

@jonasclaesbe please refer to the posting guidelines and update your post to to properly relfect the requirements for this section.

When creating a thread in the News subforum, please make sure your post meets the following criteria:

• Your thread must include some original input to tell the reader why it is relevant to them, and what your personal opinion on the topic is. This needs to be MORE than just a quick, single comment to meet the posting guidelines.
  • Your thread must include a link to at least one reputable source. Most of the time, this should be a respected news site.
  • Your thread should also include quotes from the cited source(s). While you shouldn't just copy the entire article, your quote should give the reader a summary of the article in a way that gives the key details, but also leaves room for them to read the full article on the linked website. Please use quote tags to show that you have copied this content from another site.
  • The title of your thread must be relevant to the topic and should give a reader a good idea of the contents of the thread. Copying the title of the source is permitted but absolutely not required. It should be to the point and not be done in such a way as to mislead a reader, such as clickbait, etc.
  • If your article is about a product or some form of media, images are always appreciated, although they are not required.

Failure to comply may result in your thread being locked or removed without warning.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

3 hours ago, Minibois said:

The name reminded me personally more of Basque, the region... almost-country.. thing in Spain/France.

I mean, I feel like "Bosque" would be pronounced like "Bask", but with an 'O', while Bosch is pronounced more like "posh", but with a 'B'.

But from reading the introduction on Github and seeing the examples, it really does look like C#, but simpler.

bosque is prounounced bos-kee

some other speakers might sound it like bwos-kee

I will not be surprised if people start pronouncing it bosk but thanks to things like gnome and g-nome, what else is new in the computer world

Bosque is a good name. Shame it’s for a programming language. A Bosque refrigerator sounds pretty nice. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

It's been a couple of years but back in like 2016 I remember a friend who wanted to 'start a web design business' (read: he wanted me to do most of the backend while he...looked pretty?) and I remember there was like a bunch of Javascript wrappers and tools and tweaks and pre-configs and whatnot. So I am not surprised that there's an attempt to make it all standard or interoperable but I believe there's already some other attempts at that and those are not too hard to figure out so...Maybe this Bosque stuff will do it better?

I'll defer to the more up-to-date coders to see if they think this might gain some decent traction.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Looks lame and annoying.  Of course, I hate JS with s burning passion so.

"Anger, which, far sweeter than trickling drops of honey, rises in the bosom of a man like smoke."

9 hours ago, Minibois said:

So you mean Bosh ?

Motherboard  ROG Strix B350-F Gaming | CPU Ryzen 5 1600 | GPU Sapphire Radeon RX 480 Nitro+ OC  | RAM Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz 2x8Gb | OS Drive  Crucial MX300 525Gb M.2 | WiFi Card  ASUS PCE-AC68 | Case Switch 810 Gunmetal Grey SE | Storage WD 1.5tb, SanDisk Ultra 3D 500Gb, Samsung 840 EVO 120Gb | NAS Solution Synology 413j 8TB (6TB with 2TB redundancy using Synology Hybrid RAID) | Keyboard SteelSeries APEX | Mouse Razer Naga MMO Edition Green | Fan Controller Sentry LXE | Screens Sony 43" TV | Sound Logitech 5.1 X530