Tips for easy and fast charging phone in car

I usually have to charge my phone during car trips, and also usually I need really fast charging.

To make things worse, I usually have to rush to driving, so no time to adjust a good mount grip or to plug a normal usb-c cable.

The way I fixed this was with a strong magnet (so I can literally just throw the phone and it stays there) and a magnetic cable, rated to 5A that allows for REALLY fast charging.

I have a Xiaomi Redmi Note 12 Pro+, rated to charging up to 120W and the whole system works well.... for a while.

My problem is with the magnetic cable, after a while the magnetic dongle that sticks out of the phone loosens and the phone says it's slow charging, which is the exact opposite of what I need.

Do you have any ideas for a new system that could work for me?

Wireless charging is not an option, both because my phone doesn't support it and because it's too slow, even in new phones.

The best I can think of is to use a standard usb-c cable and take some time to actually plug it in, all magnetic cables I can find don't seem to be more reliable than mine, when viewing long term (several months).

Thanks in advance

5 minutes ago, Paulo_Andre said:

The best I can think of is to use a standard usb-c cable and take some time to actually plug it in, all magnetic cables I can find don't seem to be more reliable than mine, when viewing long term (several months).

This is your answer. The time difference between a magnetic attachment to connect cables, and just using the plug itself is negligible in the long term. 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU AMD R7 7800X3D    Motherboard Asrock B650E Taichi Lite    RAM Corsair Vengeance RGB 32GB 5200mhz    GPU ASUS RTX4080 STRIX 

Case Fractal Torrent   Storage Samsung 980Pro 2TB, Crucial P3 Plus 4TB x2,     PSU Corsair RM1000x    Cooling Deepcool AK620

I know, but plugging in a cable requires both hands and at least 5s of time. That just not possible many times I drive. I can't do it when I start driving (no time) and while driving only when I'm stopped in a traffic light or traffic (not frequent).

With a magnetic cable, I only need one hand and the same 5s, that's easy while driving normally.

Just take the time to plug your phone in. If you just leave a cable plugged into your vehicle it takes what 3 seconds, if even that to plug in a usb c cable to a phone.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

6 minutes ago, Paulo_Andre said:

I know, but plugging in a cable requires both hands and at least 5s of time. That just not possible many times I drive. I can't do it when I start driving (no time) and while driving only when I'm stopped in a traffic light or traffic (not frequent).

With a magnetic cable, I only need one hand and the same 5s, that's easy while driving normally.

What are you doing that you can't take even a few seconds to plug your phone in when you get into your vehicle? I find it very hard to believe you're in that much of a hurry that you can't take literally a few seconds to plug your phone into a cable when you get into your car. Just plug your phone in when you get into your vehicle before you even start driving, like literally everyone else. 

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

I'm actually curious now what kind of emergency or time consuming job you have that you have to rush this much.

1 minute ago, FRD said:

I'm actually curious now what kind of emergency or time consuming job you have that you have to rush this much.

Right, I find it very hard to believe they are actually in such a rush they can't take 3 seconds to plug in their phone before they start driving. No one is in that much a of hurry for a job or otherwise. 

2 hours ago, FRD said:

I wonder if they work for Amazon. I know Amazon slave drives their employees from what I heard from the news and interwebs.

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

On 5/21/2024 at 3:20 AM, SpookyCitrus said:

Right, I find it very hard to believe they are actually in such a rush they can't take 3 seconds to plug in their phone before they start driving. No one is in that much a of hurry for a job or otherwise. 

Anybody that is in that much of a hurry when driving should probably not be on the road. (Cops, EMT excluded)