Is my 700W PSU enough for this upgrade?

jdhue

Hello. So far I have RX 3060 and I5-12400F and I want to upgrade both things for RTX 4070 and I5-13600K. Is my SILENTIUMPC Vero L3 700W 80 Plus Bronze enough for this? I don't really want to buy new one, just to have 50 or 100 wats more ... I am also using SILENTIUMPC Spartan 5 Max, as fan for CPU if thats important.

Should be just fine, as your pc won't draw 700W even at max load. Even if it did, the psu has an over power protection, so it can handle a power spike for a brief period

15 minutes ago, jdhue said:

Hello. So far I have RX 3060 and I5-12400F and I want to upgrade both things for RTX 4070 and I5-13600K. Is my SILENTIUMPC Vero L3 700W 80 Plus Bronze enough for this? I don't really want to buy new one, just to have 50 or 100 wats more ... I am also using SILENTIUMPC Spartan 5 Max, as fan for CPU if thats important.

Those are nice expensive components you are upgrading to and the SILENTIUMPC Vero L3 is a very low end PSU.. I would personally not pair it with these high end components. The wattage is enough but the PSU is not particularly good.

The SILENTIUMPC Spartan 5 CPU cooler should be fine if the only thing you do is gaming but if you are doing heavier workloads I would get a new CPU cooler. The 13600k is a warm chip.

6 minutes ago, MiszS said:

Should be just fine, as your pc won't draw 700W even at max load, and if a power spike happens, it has an over power protection, so it can handle even more than it's rated for, for a brief period

thanks. just asking, now. Does even 650 W would be enough for that?

1 minute ago, Hinjima said:

Those are nice expensive components you are upgrading to and the SILENTIUMPC Vero L3 is a very low end PSU.. I would personally not pair it with these high end components. The wattage is enough but the PSU is not particularly good.

The SILENTIUMPC Spartan 5 CPU cooler should be fine if the only thing you do is gaming but if you are doing heavier workloads I would get a new CPU cooler. The 13600k is a warm chip.

so if I did, PSU would damage it?

6 minutes ago, jdhue said:

thanks. just asking, now. Does even 650 W would be enough for that?

An i5-13600K and 4070 would draw about 300 to 350 watts by themselves, you would only need about 100 watts for everything else so a 500 watt power supply would be plenty for you. Assuming it's a good quality power supply.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

7 minutes ago, Hinjima said:

very L3 is low end C tier

and 3060 or 12400F is not a high end in my vocabulary.

1 minute ago, Fasauceome said:

An i5-13600K and 4070 would draw about 300 to 350 watts by themselves, you would only need about 100 watts for everything else so a 500 watt power supply would be plenty for you. Assuming it's a good quality power supply.

you can find it on a tierlist, it's a C tier, it's also lower rated GPU than mine, and I run them on a C tier PSU that's in speculative category, and no problems

Note: Users receive notifications after Mentions & Quotes. 

Feel free to ask any questions regarding my comments/build lists. I know a lot about PCs but not everything.

PC:

Ryzen 5 5600 |16GB DDR4 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

PCs I used before:

Pentium G4500 | 4GB/8GB DDR4 2133Mhz | H110 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz / OC:4Ghz | 8GB DDR4 2133Mhz / 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz | 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

Just now, podkall said:

very L3 is low end C tier

and 3060 or 12400F is not a high end in my vocabulary.

you can find it on a tierlist, it's a C tier, it's also lower rated GPU than mine, and I run them on a C tier PSU that's in speculative category, and no problems

so it's okay to not upgrade PSU in my case?

Just now, jdhue said:

so it's okay to not upgrade PSU in my case?

oh, I haven't read the post completely, my bad,

theoretically your PSU should handle the newer components, I was more talking about your current ones,

though, 4070 is only like 30W higher TDP than 3060, Intel might be a bit more though, like at least a 100,

it really comes down to comfort, your PSU could most likely work even with like a 13600k and a 4070 you plan to upgrade to,

I'd say it depends how old is your current PSU, because the older it is, the more inclined I'd be to replace it since it will be driving pretty higher end hardware

Feel free to ask any questions regarding my comments/build lists. I know a lot about PCs but not everything.

PC:

PCs I used before:

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz / OC:4Ghz | 8GB DDR4 2133Mhz / 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1050

Just now, podkall said:

oh, I haven't read the post completely, my bad,

theoretically your PSU should handle the newer components, I was more talking about your current ones,

though, 4070 is only like 30W higher TDP than 3060, Intel might be a bit more though, like at least a 100,

it really comes down to comfort, your PSU could most likely work even with like a 13600k and a 4070 you plan to upgrade to,

I'd say it depends how old is your current PSU, because the older it is, the more inclined I'd be to replace it since it will be driving pretty higher end hardware

I bought it like 2 years ago (along with whole pc btw). It ain't that old, I think.

17 minutes ago, Hinjima said:

Those are nice expensive components you are upgrading to and the SILENTIUMPC Vero L3 is a very low end PSU..

I guess I did misread the post, but unless the PSU is old or faulty, it should still be good enough, but just at the edge

I wouldn't trust CPU+GPU folding for example, but for gaming should be more than fine

Just now, jdhue said:

I bought it like 2 years ago (along with whole pc btw). It ain't that old, I think.

yeah 2 years isn't that much, it's up to you, does yours have a warranty?

and if you can afford a PSU you can always just buy it anyways, to skip the future PSU swapping once it gets old enough

PC:

PCs I used before:

1 minute ago, podkall said:

I guess I did misread the post, but unless the PSU is old or faulty, it should still be good enough, but just at the edge

I wouldn't trust CPU+GPU folding for example, but for gaming should be more than fine

700w is plenty for those components but I just dont trust C:Tier PSU's and especially not SilentiumPC who only has two PSU's in C:Tier and the rest in Tier:E avoid.

It most likely will be fine but I would not feel comfortable with it running shiny new components like the 13600k and 4070.

@jdhue  Its totally up to you of course.

4 minutes ago, Hinjima said:

700w is plenty for those components but I just dont trust C:Tier PSU's and especially not SilentiumPC who only has two PSU's in C:Tier and the rest in Tier:E avoid.

It most likely will be fine but I would not feel comfortable with it running shiny new components like the 13600k and 4070.

so there is chance that my PSU could kill new GPU and CPU?

Just now, jdhue said:

There is always a chance and its higher with a poor PSU's compared to a better PSU.

A high end PSU can also fail due to production errors etc but the risk is higher with a low end PSU, especially from a company that has no good PSU's.

It IS in the C:Tier so its passable but I personally would not feel comfortable with it.

2 minutes ago, jdhue said:

If you're up to taking the chance you might say if it does or not.

I'd recommend a bit higher tier PSU for 4070 and 13600

I edit my posts more often than not

4 minutes ago, Hinjima said:

you know I understand that, it can be pretty tough trusting things that aren't solid, I mean I'm running a second hand GTX 1080ti, that thing's old, and on top of that, despite being re-pasted it will start to slowly grow into scary temps if I let it run on high enough demanding game with uncapped fps,

as for PSUs and that list, you can't really be sure of C tier PSU could be worthy of a B spot, I guess some might be tested, but also some might be just good enough even if the components aren't exactly easy on it, like sure there's no A tier PSU from certain manufacturers, but those manufacturers are good enough to at least get a C tier PSUs that have certain protections, and that's pretty great, even if it doesn't have "<=3% 12v voltage deviation from nominal" and all that other fancy stuff A tier has.

2 minutes ago, jdhue said:

not so much kill, if it does have protections, the higher likelyhood is just the PC shutting down = you suddenly get a blackscreen

but protections don't kill PCs, at least if the PSU is C tier it's unlikely, there's of course malfunctioning protections, which are in E and F tier units, way low for a good reason,

yours is fine,

the chart on the PSU looks pretty decent, and the protections:

image.png.e55f8bfae2d3294ae9fbe52ba6912e61.png

PC:

PCs I used before:

3 minutes ago, Hinjima said:

There is always a chance and its higher with a poor PSU's compared to a better PSU.

A high end PSU can also fail due to production errors etc but the risk is higher with a low end PSU, especially from a company that has no good PSU's.

It IS in the C:Tier so its passable but I personally would not feel comfortable with it.

I'd say it's passable to be less worried, look at the methodology, D tier already has to have claimed protections and some of them working, and look at C tier:

image.thumb.png.0ec0104331258ffd6458b901e2c3a364.png

PC:

PCs I used before: