Don’t remove the Samsung Galaxy Phone “screen protector”—Four reports report dead phones after removing

Blade of Grass
1 minute ago, floofer said:

It’s not really ignorant to peel off a protective cover - just like any other phone. It’s about your target audience. I’d probably fire the person who designed the screen protector in this way. 

It is if there's a warning label and manual that tells you not to. It's not the manufacturer's fault people don't read EULA's or manuals if provided.

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

7 minutes ago, XenosTech said:

It is if there's a warning label and manual that tells you not to. It's not the manufacturer's fault people don't read EULA's or manuals if provided.

I agree in the case of a warning label (although supposedly there wasn't a warning label on all review units). I don't, however, quite agree in regards to the manual. If something is so counterintuitive to the norm, then you shouldn't expect someone to go digging into the manual for it.

I don't think it's entirely fair to compare knowledge of a product to knowledge of the law as you did in an earlier post.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

5 minutes ago, XenosTech said:

It’s not their fault, but it doesn’t mean it’s a good design choice. How disappointed would you be if you thought you were unboxing your $2000 USD phone and then turns out you broke it.

Keep in mind MKBHD, who reviews phones for a living (among other tech) started to peel his. 

1 minute ago, floofer said:

It’s not their fault, but it doesn’t mean it’s a good design choice. How disappointed would you be if you thought you were unboxing your $2000 USD phone and then turns out you broke it.

Keep in mind MKBHD, who reviews phones for a living (among other tech) started to peel his. 

There aren't good alternatives for these screens to be frank. AFAIK there aren't any screen protectors on the market that are as flexible as this and from what I'm gathering the review units don't seem to have the warning label and if this is the case then Samsung done goofed but if the retail ones do have a label and people STILL peeled it off then it's their fault.

4 minutes ago, 79wjd said:

I don't think it's entirely fair to compare knowledge of a product to knowledge of the law as you did in an earlier post.

Either scenario you're screwed unless the judge or manufacturer shows some compassion and gives you a break.

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

Does anyone know how hard it was to peel the "screen protector" off?

If it required very little force, like the normal pre-applied film on devices then I can see this being really, really bad. However, if it requires force and actually trying to remove it then it's less of an issue (but still concerning and a design flaw).

2 hours ago, WereCatf said:

Just like I recently predicted, I'm now seeing news all over the place about these folding phones breaking even just in normal use. 

Except you didn't predict that. You said the hinge or screen would wear out because of the stress from being folded/unfolded.

That is not what is happening here. What is happening is that people are removing an important part of the screen, causing it to fail.

Hell, your comment went even further and said that people would open their foldable phones with quick flicks of their wrists, which you can't even do on the Galaxy Fold (it's held together with very strong magnets, which makes it basically impossible to open without using two hands).

2 hours ago, Commodus said:

This is the most sterotypically Samsung product introduction I've seen in a while.

"This is revolutionary!  It's the future of phones!  Take that, Apple."

Mere hours after reviewers get it... yeah, it's snapping like a twig, and not just when people pull the screen protector.  Samsung had just better hope that this is a bad batch and not indicative of what users will normally get, because if this is typical, it's a disaster.

Wait, it's stereotypical for Samsung devices to snap like twigs? I think you're thinking of Apple devices...

52 minutes ago, 79wjd said:

Again, I don't want to have to carry a backpack. So, if I want a bigger screen, then my options are to either by a foldable phone (only inconvenient in cost, ignoring first gen teething problems, which will eventually go away if the concept catches on), or be unable to take advantage of the benefits of a bigger screen.  

This entire conversation reminds me a lot of the people who said "who needs a camera on your phone? Just get a backpack and carry a DSLR with you", or "who needs a web browser in your phone? Just carry a laptop with you".

Arguing that we should not try and consolidate several devices into a single one might be one of the dumbest things I see some people in the tech community argue for over and over. Why would you want to carry around several devices when you might not need to?

19 minutes ago, XenosTech said:

There aren't good alternatives for these screens to be frank. AFAIK there aren't any screen protectors on the market that are as flexible as this and from what I'm gathering the review units don't seem to have the warning label and if this is the case then Samsung done goofed but if the retail ones do have a label and people STILL peeled it off then it's their fault.

If there aren’t any good alternatives then don’t release the phone. It’s simple, if you can’t make a good enough product, don’t release it.

To note, Samsung is not the only foldable phone company, but this problem is specific to Samsung.

I remember how people were tearing screen film from Philips LCD TV's, to a point where representatives sent us a bulletin to notify users they are not suppose to remove ANYTHING from the screen.

I want to know how much effort it took to tear it off the screen. If it was easy, then Samsung could partially be blamed. If people goes through excruciating effort to do it then bloody hell, get yourself a Nokia 3310, the old one.

2 minutes ago, floofer said:

If there aren’t any good alternatives then don’t release the phone. It’s simple, if you can’t make a good enough product, don’t release it.

To note, Samsung is not the only foldable phone company, but this problem is specific to Samsung.

Not releasing it would actually make sense given the number of products that are released yearly that have problems days/weeks into their release. 

It might be a problem specific to Samsung, it might not be. Doesn't the other folding phone on the market fold the other way?

1 minute ago, RejZoR said:

I want to know how much effort it took to tear it off the screen. If it was easy, then Samsung could partially be blamed. If people goes through excruciating effort to do it then bloody hell, get yourself a Nokia 3310, the old one.

I peeled one of those about 14 years ago with a safety pin when I found my old one under my bed xD 

30 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Wait, it's stereotypical for Samsung devices to snap like twigs? I think you're thinking of Apple devices...

It's more that Samsung's fondness for shouting "first!" has a tendency to backfire.  My favourite was the Galaxy Gear watch from 2013, which Samsung clearly rushed out for fear of Apple's eventual smartwatch... oh boy, was that a mess.

Not only did many of the units NOT have the warning, other reviewer's screens are breaking from shit like a random bulge UNDER the screen.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/4/17/18411510/samsung-galaxy-fold-broken-screen-debris-dust-hinge-flexible-bulge

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

I hope that Samsung loses money from the Galaxy Fold xD It's a fundamentally flawed product concept. The technology is cool, the phone is not. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

1 hour ago, LAwLz said:

This entire conversation reminds me a lot of the people who said "who needs a camera on your phone? Just get a backpack and carry a DSLR with you", or "who needs a web browser in your phone? Just carry a laptop with you".

Arguing that we should not try and consolidate several devices into a single one might be one of the dumbest things I see some people in the tech community argue for over and over. Why would you want to carry around several devices when you might not need to?

And it's usually Apple that claims a feature is "revolutionary" and they did it "first" even though someone else really had it way before Apple did.

If the the protector takes some effort to peel off then it isn't Samsung's fault, however it should still have a warning in the box.

3 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

I hope that Samsung loses money from the Galaxy Fold xD It's a fundamentally flawed product concept. The technology is cool, the phone is not. 

Why be happy about that? Imagine if I was like " I hope Apple loses money on Airpow-" oh wait :^ )

AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

4 hours ago, Blade of Grass said:

Hopefully samsung will make it clear that the protective film is NOT to be removed,

Even a red piece of paper in all language, taped to the screen, so that you HAVE TO SEE IT is not enough.

The Company I worked for many years ago had a Problem with User using wrong, incompatible "accesoirs", so there was a piece of paper on top of that - and people ignored it and still did the same shit...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

19 minutes ago, Commodus said:

It's more that Samsung's fondness for shouting "first!" has a tendency to backfire.  My favourite was the Galaxy Gear watch from 2013, which Samsung clearly rushed out for fear of Apple's eventual smartwatch... oh boy, was that a mess.

Isnt apple more known for stealing firsts? "First" notch, "first" to remove headphone jack, "first" "gate" lululul

11 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

Even a red piece of paper in all language, taped to the screen, so that you HAVE TO SEE IT is not enough.

The Company I worked for many years ago had a Problem with User using wrong, incompatible "accesoirs", so there was a piece of paper on top of that - and people ignored it and still did the same shit...

I learned two things while working with tech products and customers on daily basis for the last decade.

a) People never read instruction manuals

b) They always complain about missing instruction manuals

It's like this cat from hell that keeps biting its own tail...

12 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

All that should be required is a reasonable warning. If you're too stupid to take notice of an obvious warning, then that's your own fault.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

1 minute ago, RejZoR said:

I learned two things while working with tech products and customers on daily basis for the last decade.

a) People never read instruction manuals

b) They always complain about missing instruction manuals

It's like this cat from hell that keeps biting its own tail...

I mean at least if you include a written warning on the front of the screen when it's first unboxed, when people break it and moan you can just say "Fuck you"

In a more pc, Saumsung-like way :D 

⠀⠀⠀⣴⣴⡤
⠀⣠⠀⢿⠇⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⢷⡗
⠀⢶⢽⠿⣗⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣼⡧⠂⠀⠀⣼⣷⡆
⠀⠀⣾⢶⠐⣱⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣤⣜⣻⣧⣲⣦⠤⣧⣿⠶
⠀⢀⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠛⠿⣿⣿⣷⣤⣄⡹⣿⣷
⠀⢸⣿⢸⣿⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠙⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⠀⠿⠃⠈⠿⠆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠹⠿⠿⠿

⠀⢀⢀⡀⠀⢀⣤⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⡀⡀
⠀⣿⡟⡇⠀⠭⡋⠅⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⣟⢿
⠀⣹⡌⠀⠀⣨⣾⣷⣄⠀⠀⠀⠀⢈⠔⠌
⠰⣷⣿⡀⢐⢿⣿⣿⢻⠀⠀⠀⢠⣿⡿⡤⣴⠄⢀⣀⡀
⠘⣿⣿⠂⠈⢸⣿⣿⣸⠀⠀⠀⢘⣿⣿⣀⡠⣠⣺⣿⣷
⠀⣿⣿⡆⠀⢸⣿⣿⣾⡇⠀⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣗⣻⡻⠿⠁
⠀⣿⣿⡇⠀⢸⣿⣿⡇⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁

32 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Why do you hope that Samsung loses money?

In what way are foldable phones a "fundamentally flawed concept"?

4 hours ago, bradwiggo said:

But then you will need to lug around 2 items

I felt the same way as you until recently, it does make a huge difference for those with money and want the convenience 

48 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

In what way are foldable phones a "fundamentally flawed concept"?

The Galaxy Fold, and other folding phones, are not appealing for the vast majority of consumers. Don’t get me wrong, the technology is cool and the technology should be used....just in a more practical application. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)