Don’t remove the Samsung Galaxy Phone “screen protector”—Four reports report dead phones after removing

Blade of Grass
2 hours ago, LAwLz said:

Does anyone know how hard it was to peel the "screen protector" off?

If it required very little force, like the normal pre-applied film on devices then I can see this being really, really bad. However, if it requires force and actually trying to remove it then it's less of an issue (but still concerning and a design flaw).

If it would take noticeably more force to remove than normal pre-applied film, it would set some warning lights within those who try to peel it off and often peel those protectors off. Also it must start to peel off quite the same. With that this might really be a huge problem especially with time and use. I can see how that layer starts to separate from the top and bottom of that hinge probably in months but for sure within couple of years and if not then then it breaks right after the warranty is over.

21 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

The Galaxy Fold, and other folding phones, are not appealing for the vast majority of consumers. Don’t get me wrong, the technology is cool and the technology should be used....just in a more practical application. 

Flagships also aren't appealing to the vast majority of customers. That doesn't mean flagships shouldn't be made and sold.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

21 minutes ago, 79wjd said:

Flagships also aren't appealing to the vast majority of customers.

Actually they are.....what is the most popular single phone sold worldwide? iPhone. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

So to recap it had a warning sticker saying don't peel, and people just ignored that and peeled. Samsung should have known that tech journos don't read stickers and tweeted it out.

29 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Actually they are.....what is the most popular single phone sold worldwide? iPhone. 

Apple only accounts for 12% of the worldwide market share in 2018, so I've a bit of a hunch that globally, budget Android devices reign supreme, especially given that Samsung and Huawei have greater worldwide market shares than Apple but significantly weaker flagship adoption.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

1 minute ago, Suika said:

Apple only accounts for 12% of the worldwide market share in 2018, so I've a bit of a hunch that globally, budget Android devices reign supreme, especially given that Samsung and Huawei have greater worldwide market shares than Apple but significantly weaker flagship adoption.

I think its a lack of financing options worldwide. That iPhone X becomes a much harder decision when you have to pay the $1000 up front.

1 minute ago, Chett_Manly said:

I think its a lack of financing options worldwide. That iPhone X becomes a much harder decision when you have to pay the $1000 up front.

I mean... yea. If an iPhone XS were as financially feasible to obtain as a $40 Android device, I think the iPhone XS would account for more than 70% of the worldwide market, but as it stands, it doesn't. It's a high margin, premium device for consumers that can afford it.

9 minutes ago, Suika said:

Tbf, he was talking about a single phone, in which case, iirc, the iPhone wins... sure.

But when talking how many devices, regardless of specific one, yeah, Android will win.

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.

Just now, kaiju_wars said:

Tbf, he was talking about a single phone, in which case, iirc, the iPhone wins... sure.

But when talking how many devices, regardless of specific one, yeah, Android will win.

I never said he was wrong, I just mentioned that if we considered worldwide adoption, the trend is absolutely against flagship devices and leans way more heavily into budget Android devices.

I feel like saying iPhone is the best selling smartphone based on SKU units sold from a single company is like saying the PlayStation 4 is the best gaming system ever because it's sold way more than any other gaming system in history, including every gaming PC model from a given company.

5 minutes ago, Suika said:

I never said he was wrong, I just mentioned that if we considered worldwide adoption, the trend is absolutely against flagship devices and leans way more heavily into budget Android devices.

Exactly this.

His argument against foldable phones was that it caters to the minority rather than the majority -- just like flagships do.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

26 minutes ago, Chett_Manly said:

So to recap it had a warning sticker saying don't peel, and people just ignored that and peeled. Samsung should have known that tech journos don't read stickers and tweeted it out.

So just noticed this and wanted to clarify, Samsung included a warning sticker on some devices but not all, some users suggesting it's a carrier packaging difference kind of thing . MKBHD mentioned that his unit did not include this sticker at all.

4 hours ago, LAwLz said:

Wait, it's stereotypical for Samsung devices to snap like twigs? I think you're thinking of Apple devices...

I think they mean the Nextbit Robin.

14 minutes ago, Suika said:

My bad, I misread, long night at work.

11 minutes ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

I feel like saying iPhone is the best selling smartphone based on SKU units sold from a single company is like saying the PlayStation 4 is the best gaming system ever because it's sold way more than any other gaming system in history, including every gaming PC model from a given company.

You mean the PS2?  Cause like... there's a strong argument for the PS2, lmao.

"This $2000 phone is more fragile than tempered glass, breaking on the slightest issue, requiring thousands of dollars in repairs to fix. Korean engineering."

Dgi7y.jpg

More on-topic: Fuck, man, must be frustrating for anyone reviewing one of these and them just breaking because... reasons.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

1 minute ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

And I was just complaining how short term some people's memories were ._.

I was making a fucking joke about it.

7 hours ago, LAwLz said:

That is not what is happening here. What is happening is that people are removing an important part of the screen, causing it to fail.

You haven't seen the reports of people just simply opening the phone up and the screen breaking at the seam, then?

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Why am I not surprised at all by this... 

Did Samsung actually anticipate all of this? Foldable screens haven't been produced in a number higher than that for CES demos until recently, so have they actually accounted for all the early teething pains? 

And if so, did they actually think that this would be a thing? 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1