Metro: Exodus sold "2.5x better" in the same period on the Epic Store versus Last Light on Steam

D13H4RD
2 hours ago, jones177 said:

Steams first major exclusive was Fallout NV. The next one was Skyrim. Before those titles I would go to one of the many stores that carried games and installed it from disk.

Steam started the exclusives. That is how they became dominant.

Nothing comes close to how bad Steam was when it started. They even lost my entire library.  I became a console gamer for many years because of the way they handled it.

Not surprisingly there was an even bigger group threatening piracy back then because of Steam. It is ironic that I am hearing that cry now.

As for Steam advertising. A banner on their store page in not advertising. Adds on game orantated web sites is and no company needs Steam for that.

What is more surprising to me than anything about this is that Valve did not have it in writing that the game must be on Steam at launch. 

I want the choice back that I had before Steam and I think there is a chance I will get it because non exclusivity deals would be cheaper to make.

If you think a banner on a store page isn't advertising then you are simply wrong. Steam is a huge store with alot of exposure and having a banner of your game on it will do more than a ad on a website tbh. It would be like having a game poster on the outside of gamestop back in the day. 

22 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

If you think a banner on a store page isn't advertising then you are simply wrong. Steam is a huge store with alot of exposure and having a banner of your game on it will do more than a ln ad 9n a website tbh. It would be like having a game poster on the outside of gamestop back in the day. 

It it's most likely bigger than having a poster outside of GameStop as GameStop wasn't big in the way that they weren't big worldwide.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

See, the Metro series has seen a lot more exposure ever since LL came out. To me it just seems like the game launching on the Epic Store didn't hinder sales much rather than the game doing a lot better because of that deal.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

All this news tells me is pineapple beats banana because grape beats apple.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

27 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

If you think a banner on a store page isn't advertising then you are simply wrong. Steam is a huge store with alot of exposure and having a banner of your game on it will do more than a ad on a website tbh. It would be like having a game poster on the outside of gamestop back in the day. 

Tell that to Artifact.

Its launch day saw around 60k players. Team Fortress 2 normally hits that player count on a daily basis. Say what you will about advertising and shit, but if you think that Steam banners mean much, they truly don't.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

Exodus vs Last light?

Without offending anybody..that is just a dumb comparison probably made by EGS themselves trying to promote their store.

EGS is such a tryhard

Gaming Mouse Buying Guide (Technical Terms,Optical vs Laser,Mice Recommendation,Popular Mouse Sensor,Etc)

[LOGITECH G402 REVIEW]

I love Dark Souls lore, Mice and Milk tea  ^_^ Praise The Sun! \[T]/

I can conquer the world with one hand,As long as you hold the other -Unknown

Its better to enjoy your own company than expecting someone to make you happy -Mr Bean

No one is going to be with you forever,One day u'll have to walk alone -Hiromi aoki (avery)

BUT the one who love us never really leave us,You can always find them here -Sirius Black

Don't pity the dead,Pity the living and above all those who live without love -Albus Dumbledore

1 hour ago, imreloadin said:

Paid exclusivity deal != putting your game on one of the only online game stores of the time...

At the time I did not want my games on line.

There was a time when on a Friday night I would go out to eat and brows for music and PC games at the mall. I enjoyed it.

Now unless I am buying clothes or food I don't go anywhere.

Losing hundreds of dollars in games when they lost my account didn't help with my attitude toward Steam. All I got out of them was " what account" even though they took my money. 

There was other online stores that I used back then but they went out of business. I used one called Direct2Drive the most.

To me not going out of business is what I like the most about Steam.

49 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

I bought Metro 2033 and Last light along with their redux and I didn't get the "ad".   My Son did get it so he pointed it out to me. I was a bit mad about it since the same thing happened with Battletech.

I also don't consider pre order slots as advertisement. 

RIG#1 CPU: AMD, R 7 5800x3D| Motherboard: X570 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3200 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 2TB | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG42UQ

RIG#2 CPU: Intel i9 11900k | Motherboard: Z590 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3600 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1300 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | SSD#1: SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX300 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k C1 OLED TV

RIG#3 CPU: Intel i9 10900kf | Motherboard: Z490 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 4000 | GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio 3090 | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Crucial P1 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

RIG#4 CPU: Intel i9 13900k | Motherboard: AORUS Z790 Master | RAM: Corsair Dominator RGB 32GB DDR5 6200 | GPU: Zotac Amp Extreme 4090  | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Streacom BC1.1S | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB  | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

43 minutes ago, jones177 said:

At the time I did not want my games on line.

There was a time when on a Friday night I would go out to eat and brows for music and PC games at the mall. I enjoyed it.

Now unless I am buying clothes or food I don't go anywhere.

Losing hundreds of dollars in games when they lost my account didn't help with my attitude toward Steam. All I got out of them was " what account" even though they took my money. 

There was other online stores that I used back then but they went out of business. I used one called Direct2Drive the most.

To me not going out of business is what I like the most about Steam.

I bought Metro 2033 and Last light along with their redux and I didn't get the "ad".   My Son did get it so he pointed it out to me. I was a bit mad about it since the same thing happened with Battletech.

I also don't consider pre order slots as advertisement. 

You may not consider it advertising but at the end of the day it is. If I see a game on the main page of steam I am much more likely to check it out and buy it especially if it looks like something that would interest me. I assume I am not the only one. I honestly rarely see game ads anywhere else. Steam has alot of users and the added benefit of them being a good target audience for game advertising. One example is the new samurai game. I wouldn't have known about it had it not been for the advertising on the steam store tbh. 

1 hour ago, Hiya! said:

Exodus vs Last light?

Without offending anybody..that is just a dumb comparison probably made by EGS themselves trying to promote their store.

EGS is such a tryhard

Welcome to marketing 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

5 hours ago, yian88 said:

-snip-

8 hours ago, strajk- said:

-snip-

5 hours ago, RejZoR said:

-snip-

5 hours ago, WereCatf said:

-snip-

3 hours ago, Zeeus said:

-snip

the butt hurt

giphy.gif

im gonna pee

oh god i cant stop laughing

tenor.gif

ok i calm now

you all are missing the point, it still sold, people just dont give a shit about "but muh steam"

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

2 minutes ago, jaggysnake57 said:

you all are missing the point, it still sold, people just dont give a shit about "but muh steam"

To be quite frank, it looks like you are the one missing the point.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

3 minutes ago, jaggysnake57 said:

Eh, without hard figures it's difficult to come to any conclusion. 

The only thing in my mind is that the game still sold and at least hasn't been negatively affected when taking the increasing popularity into account. But it being limited to one platform has limited its growth. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

11 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

To be quite frank, it looks like you are the one missing the point.

nope, epic are bring competition to steam and most people dont give 2 shits what launcher they use, its just a launcher, as evidenced here. despite it only being on epic, people still brought it.

9 minutes ago, D13H4RD said:

Eh, without hard figures it's difficult to come to any conclusion. 

The only thing in my mind is that the game still sold and at least hasn't been negatively affected when taking the increasing popularity into account. But it being limited to one platform has limited its growth. 

1 nope, its not. The fact it didnt bomb is telling. 

2 citation for the limited growth? you cant know that 

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

4 minutes ago, jaggysnake57 said:

citation for the limited growth? you cant know that 

Not everyone is buying it off Epic. That has limited its growth in some way. Is it a drastic limitation? Again, without hard info, it's hard to know exactly. 

There's also a reason why they were vague with this. Typically, when companies boast of success, you'd see more nuanced data. This one's kinda vague because 2.5x higher than Last Light without other info leaves a lot of room for debate. Only thing we know for sure is that the game didn't flop. Other than that, there's nothing else that we know for certain. 

nope, epic are bring competition to steam and most people dont give 2 shits what launcher they use, its just a launcher, as evidenced here. despite it only being on epic, people still brought it.

So yes, you did completely miss my point.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

well that launcher happen to steal private information from what i have heard

Gaming Mouse Buying Guide (Technical Terms,Optical vs Laser,Mice Recommendation,Popular Mouse Sensor,Etc)

[LOGITECH G402 REVIEW]

I love Dark Souls lore, Mice and Milk tea  ^_^ Praise The Sun! \[T]/

I can conquer the world with one hand,As long as you hold the other -Unknown

Its better to enjoy your own company than expecting someone to make you happy -Mr Bean

No one is going to be with you forever,One day u'll have to walk alone -Hiromi aoki (avery)

BUT the one who love us never really leave us,You can always find them here -Sirius Black

Don't pity the dead,Pity the living and above all those who live without love -Albus Dumbledore

2 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

So yes, you did completely miss my point.

your point was "epic are claiming that they caused the increase in sales" there not there mearly highlighting that despite the "bad press" it still sold

2 minutes ago, Hiya! said:

well that launcher happen to steal private information from what i have heard

1 citation please

2 are you telling me steam never fucks up?

9 minutes ago, jaggysnake57 said:

your point was "epic are claiming that they caused the increase in sales" there not there mearly highlighting that despite the "bad press" it still sold

If they were merely saying that the game was selling well, they wouldn't have resorted to a comparison with a game that wasn't on their platform.

Definitely misleading to say 2.5x better on epic vs steam since it's the third game and metro is known by way more people now. Sure perhaps the odd fortnite player saw it and picked it up that wouldnt have otherwise but I doubt the sales are much higher at all than if they had released on steam

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

10 hours ago, D13H4RD said:

It's not universal, unfortunately. Applies only to the US. 

so folks at jupiter don't have access to Metro:Exodus?

we gotta stop discrimination against jupiterians, whos with me 

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

2 hours ago, jones177 said:

How exactly did Steam "lose your account"?

50 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

If they were merely saying that the game was selling well, they wouldn't have resorted to a comparison with a game that wasn't on their platform.

what! you really are grasping at straws. it gives a clear indication on how the game is selling.....seriously are you that desperate 

29 minutes ago, S w a t s o n said:

Definitely misleading to say 2.5x better on epic vs steam since it's the third game and metro is known by way more people now. Sure perhaps the odd fortnite player saw it and picked it up that wouldnt have otherwise but I doubt the sales are much higher at all than if they had released on steam

how is it misleading? are you saying its not selling that well? what are your sources? you may want to re read the OP

1 hour ago, jaggysnake57 said:

epic are bring competition to steam

I really wish people would quit saying this because they're actually not competing. Competition is when the customer makes the choice between buying something from Store X or Store Y. Your version is like saying that Halo competed with the PS4 which makes zero fucking sense xD Halo is(was) EXCLUSIVELY an Xbox franchise. If you wanted to play it, you were REQUIRED to use Microsoft's hardware/software.

ACTUAL competition would be having the software available on ALL online game store platforms so that the CUSTOMERS would be the ones making the actual decision, not the companies themselves.

If this is how you define competition then I guess you're just fine with two ISPs "competing" in a particular zip code when it turns out that one of them only actually services 4 households in the whole zip code...

1 citation please

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2019/03/epic-says-its-game-store-is-not-spying-on-you/

It literally made a copy of your steam profile and sent it back to Epic notifying the users, let alone asking for their permission for it.

2 are you telling me steam never fucks up?

What-aboutism isn't an argument...