Metro: Exodus sold "2.5x better" in the same period on the Epic Store versus Last Light on Steam

D13H4RD

Something interesting out of Epic's GDC announcements. 

Metro: Exodus, a game that was highly anticipated, then greatly panned for its last minute Epic exclusivity deal, and then subsequently praised for its quality (with the exclusivity still panned) has apparently sold approximately 2.5 times as much as Metro: Last Light did on Steam in the same period shortly after their respective launch. 

During its State of Unreal presentation at GDC 2019, Epic announced sales of Metro: Exodus were 2.5 times that of Last Light during the same reporting period. It’s unknown whether pre-purchase sales were taken into account on the Exodus figures.

Deep Silver never provided sales data for the previous title, but in the US alone, the game surpassed lifetime retail sales of Metro 2033 in its first week.

It's also been announced that further exclusives have been snagged, with the hotly anticipated The Outer Worlds being one of them (although in this case, it will also be on the Microsoft Store, owing to Microsoft's ownership of Obsidian). For more information, visit the thread below;

With Valve set to have its GDC conference soon, looks like both companies will be locking horns as the battle over developers and consumers continues to burn brightly between the two platforms. 

Opinion 

Spoiler

On the face of it, it really does seem to be a bit of a win for Epic and might be a classic case of "the minority often being loudest". However, it's important to understand the nuances. 

On one hand, 2.5x isn't really a small number. So it does appear to at least be a solid start. On the other hand, that figure is also quite vague since it is unknown whether pre-order figures were taken into account. It's also worth noting that Last Light was a 2013 title, with PC gaming in general growing significantly over the past 5-6 years since then alongside the general Metro audience. As such, there is still some room to debate over how successful the launch was unless some piece of hard data is given. 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

3 minutes ago, TrigrH said:

10 bucks cheaper, why not.

It's not universal, unfortunately. Applies only to the US. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

4 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

the real question is how well Metro would have sold if it was on both, or just on steam........

No question in my mind that it would have crossed the 3x and even the 4x barrier if it was sold on as many platforms as possible. Highly anticipated title that people were very willing to buy at launch.

And it’s indeed a very good game.

I don't think it's a very relevant metric - it shows that the sales weren't negatively impacted (at least not by much), but higher sales numbers than LL are to be expected given the game was praised and LL brought a lot more attention to the franchise.

As for my thoughts on the Epic store, frankly I can't fault them for trying to compete with Steam. Valve is a corporation just like Epic and I don't like them having a monopoly. The exclusivity problem goes beyond the ES or Steam - the problem is DRM. Ideally, every game should be available on every store willing to sell it and independent of the platform you bought it on. This is just Steam getting a taste of their own medicine.

Is it good or bad for the consumer? We'll have to wait and see - on one hand having to install yet another launcher is annoying but, given the lower price cut Epic takes, this may help drive prices down in general and force Steam to actively give developers new reasons to choose them.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

3 minutes ago, D13H4RD said:

No question in my mind that it would have crossed the 3x and even the 4x barrier if it was sold on as many platforms as possible. Highly anticipated title that people were very willing to buy at launch.

And it’s indeed a very good game.

Undoubtedly the game would have sold a bit better simply due to the extra exposure, but I don't think that many people were holding back just because it wasn't on steam. Day one buyers don't usually want to wait and the Epic store is as free to install as Steam. The sales would have probably just shifted to being mostly on Steam without increasing significantly.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

1 minute ago, Sauron said:

Undoubtedly the game would have sold a bit better simply due to the extra exposure, but I don't think that many people were holding back just because it wasn't on steam. Day one buyers don't usually want to wait and the Epic store is as free to install as Steam. The sales would have probably just shifted to being mostly on Steam without increasing significantly.

Probably, but we’ll have to see exactly how Steam will respond.

Especially since Sweeney & Co. are going full steam ahead with their exclusivity deals. 

Spoiler

Yes, that was fucking horrible. I’m sorry.

Not even worth being news with that kind of bias from Epic...

-"Title B sold better in Platform B than Title A on Platform A", hence implying that you're better off selling at their Platform than on their competitor, even though both data are in no way eligible for comparison...

They had a bone to pick if both Title A and Title B were available in both Platforms, to have an historical comparison, but doing that would first imply that Title B was a better game than Title A, hence it sold more (which wouldn't support their claim), then you would go to the second data point and see in which platform Title A and/or Title B sold the most (this would support their claim if it did sold more).

Since you can't analyse that, this is literal non-news, just biased info for the press...

With a 6 year difference for the series to gain momentum. Where are the numbers? If it's 250 vs 100 yeah big success. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

I say congratulations are in order, people need to stop whining, the game is fantastic and who rely cares where you buy it from! It's the same game in the end.

My Current Build: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/36jXwh

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 3600X | CPU Cooler: Corsair H150i PRO XT | Motherboard: Asus - STRIX X370-F GAMING | RAM: G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 2x8Gb DDR4 @3000MHz | GPU: Gigabyte - GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB AORUS XTREME Video Card | Storage: Samsung - 860 EVO 250GB M.2-2280 - Sandisk SSD 240GB - Sandisk SSD 1TB - WD Blue 4TB| PSU: Corsair RM (2019) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply | Case: Corsair - Corsair Obsidian 500D RGB SE ATX Mid Tower Case | System Fans: Corsair - ML120 PRO RGB 47.3 CFM 120mm x 4 & Corsair - ML140 PRO RGB 55.4 CFM 140mm x 2 | Display: Samsung KS9000 |Keyboard: Logitech - G613 | Mouse: Logitech - G703 | Operating System: Windows 10 Pro

FALSE , it sold better because of the RTX fad, also metro has built bigger fanbase with every release, thats why.

This is how they manipulate you, there is no bloody way EGS has more users and exposure than Steam thats just fake news.

Also their prices are waaay higher, standard version is 60 euro in EU but 50$ in US thats just fucking scam, fuck off Epic, then they cry about piracy.

I cant wait for google Stadia to one up EGS garbage store and all their investment adventure go south.

Gee, a major sequel selling better than the less known but highly regarded original. It's like they can't do 1+1... Unless you cock something up majorly like it happened with Deus Ex Invisible War, of course a franchise that's more known to the masses sells better. And to add the drama and dumb people who don't have any priciples and numbers will alwas be higher. It's not rocket science...

I'd be interested to know how many of these were Steam preorders before they fucked everyone and escaped to Epic Store.

All I know is I won't be buying it. Coz I hate bullshit companies and this one is full of it. I'll live just fine without any Metro Exodus in my life...

Really?

Corsair iCUE 4000X RGB

ASUS ROG STRIX B550-E GAMING

Ryzen 5900X

Corsair Hydro H150i Pro 360mm AIO

Ballistix 32GB (4x8GB) 3600MHz CL16 RGB

Samsung 980 PRO 1TB

Samsung 970 EVO 1TB

Gigabyte RTX 3060 Ti GAMING OC

Corsair RM850X

Predator XB273UGS QHD IPS 165 Hz

iPhone 13 Pro 128GB Graphite

And the Witcher 3 sold more copies than the Witcher 2 only because it was available on GoG and Steam. And that's the only valid reason, everything else doesn't count.

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

3 hours ago, D13H4RD said:

It’s unknown whether pre-purchase sales were taken into account on the Exodus figures.

Even if they aren't, 2.5x isn't nearly as good as it could've been if the game was released on other platforms.

Hope Tim Sweeney's check was big.

A girl who loves to love.

3 hours ago, D13H4RD said:

Epic announced sales of Metro: Exodus were 2.5 times that of Last Light during the same reporting period

This is just idiotic. I mean, sure, it sounds good to investors who won't be spending even a second thinking about it any harder, but really, it's entirely misleading. For one, Metro:LL received FAR LESS marketing than Exodus did. Secondly, Exodus received a huge amount of its marketing ON STEAM before it moved to EGS, not on Epic's store or due to Epic's efforts.

Epic's just trying to fool people with this shit, they're taking all the credit for Exodus's sales and trying to make it as if it was all due to Epic being so great. That's bullshit, they rode in on Valve's backs here.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

48 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

This is just idiotic. I mean, sure, it sounds good to investors who won't be spending even a second thinking about it any harder, but really, it's entirely misleading. For one, Metro:LL received FAR LESS marketing than Exodus did. Secondly, Exodus received a huge amount of its marketing ON STEAM before it moved to EGS, not on Epic's store or due to Epic's efforts.

Precisely why I’m taking this announcement with a grain of salt.

Without hard data, it’s very difficult to come to a conclusion, only speculation.

Steams first major exclusive was Fallout NV. The next one was Skyrim. Before those titles I would go to one of the many stores that carried games and installed it from disk.

Steam started the exclusives. That is how they became dominant.

Nothing comes close to how bad Steam was when it started. They even lost my entire library.  I became a console gamer for many years because of the way they handled it.

Not surprisingly there was an even bigger group threatening piracy back then because of Steam. It is ironic that I am hearing that cry now.

As for Steam advertising. A banner on their store page in not advertising. Adds on game orantated web sites is and no company needs Steam for that.

What is more surprising to me than anything about this is that Valve did not have it in writing that the game must be on Steam at launch. 

I want the choice back that I had before Steam and I think there is a chance I will get it because non exclusivity deals would be cheaper to make.

RIG#1 CPU: AMD, R 7 5800x3D| Motherboard: X570 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3200 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 2TB | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG42UQ

RIG#2 CPU: Intel i9 11900k | Motherboard: Z590 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3600 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1300 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | SSD#1: SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX300 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k C1 OLED TV

RIG#3 CPU: Intel i9 10900kf | Motherboard: Z490 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 4000 | GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio 3090 | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Crucial P1 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

RIG#4 CPU: Intel i9 13900k | Motherboard: AORUS Z790 Master | RAM: Corsair Dominator RGB 32GB DDR5 6200 | GPU: Zotac Amp Extreme 4090  | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Streacom BC1.1S | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB  | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

I want to see numbers on how many get it when it comes to steam in 11 months.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

2 hours ago, Bravo1cc said:

I say congratulations are in order, people need to stop whining, the game is fantastic and who rely cares where you buy it from! It's the same game in the end.

SMH, are you serious? Epic is extremely anti-consumer.

4 hours ago, D13H4RD said:

Something interesting out of Epic's GDC announcements. 

Metro: Exodus, a game that was highly anticipated, then greatly panned for its last minute Epic exclusivity deal, and then subsequently praised for its quality (with the exclusivity still panned) has apparently sold approximately 2.5 times as much as Metro: Last Light did on Steam in the same period shortly after their respective launch. 

It's also been announced that further exclusives have been snagged, with the hotly anticipated The Outer Worlds being one of them (although in this case, it will also be on the Microsoft Store, owing to Microsoft's ownership of Obsidian). For more information, visit the thread below;

With Valve set to have its GDC conference soon, looks like both companies will be locking horns as the battle over developers and consumers continues to burn brightly between the two platforms. 

Opinion 

Reveal hidden contents

On the face of it, it really does seem to be a bit of a win for Epic and might be a classic case of "the minority often being loudest". However, it's important to understand the nuances. 

On one hand, 2.5x isn't really a small number. So it does appear to at least be a solid start. On the other hand, that figure is also quite vague since it is unknown whether pre-order figures were taken into account. It's also worth noting that Last Light was a 2013 title, with PC gaming in general growing significantly over the past 5-6 years since then alongside the general Metro audience. As such, there is still some room to debate over how successful the launch was unless some piece of hard data is given. 

They sold more than a previous title means fuck all i bet theyd have sold 4x more on steam. 

1 hour ago, jones177 said:

Steams first major exclusive was Fallout NV. The next one was Skyrim. Before those titles I would go to one of the many stores that carried games and installed it from disk.

Steam started the exclusives. That is how they became dominant.

Paid exclusivity deal != putting your game on one of the only online game stores of the time...

3 hours ago, suicidalfranco said:

And the Witcher 3 sold more copies than the Witcher 2 only because it was available on GoG and Steam. And that's the only valid reason, everything else doesn't count.

Yeah it's pretty clear that when last light came out the metro series wasn't that well known compared to today. I learned about the game quite awhile after its release and loved it and I am sure I am one of many. Those people likely are some of the people who bought exodus. I was actually looking forward to playing it until I found out it would be an epic games store exclusive. I guess I will have to wait a year.