Globalfoundries might sell to Samsung or SK Hynix

Bananasplit_00

sauce: https://www.sweclockers.com/nyhet/27084-globalfoundries-kan-saljas-till-samsung-och-sk-hynix

Sweclockers reports that Globalfoundries biggest investor, ATIC, is looking to sell of Globalfoundaries after loosing its biggest customer, AMD, to TSMC. Not being able to deliver on 7nm lost them AMD and with that they have fallen so far behind that ATIC are looking to cash out. 

Sauce is in Swedish, translation done by me.

Original quotes:

Inom halvledarindustrin dagsläget finns tre stora kontraktstillverkare som investerar i och utvecklar det senaste inom tillverkningsteknik. En av dessa är Globalfoundries, som på senare tid drabbats av vissa motgångar som bland annat lett till att de lagt ned utvecklingen av 7 nanometer.

En stor majoritet av Globalfoundries ägs av Advanced Technology Investment (ATIC), ett statligt investeringsbolag som ägs av Förenade Arabemiraten. Enligt uppgift ska de ha börjat överväga en försäljning efter att tillverkaren förlorade en av sina största kunder AMD till TSMC.

Translated quotes:

Today there are three big contract manufacturers that invest and develop the latest in manufacturing. One of these is Globalfoundries, that has in later times been hit by some obstacles that have lead to stopping development of the 7nm process.

A large majority of Globalfoundries is owned by Advanced Technology Investment(ATIC), a state owned investment company owned by the United Arab Emirates. Acording to sources they have started considering selling after the manufacturer lost its biggest customer AMD to TSMC.

This is surprising to me, never though one of the biggest names in fabs would just sell, its going to be interesting to see if the choose SK Hynix or Samsung. If they go with Samsung there would be an almost 50/50 split of the market between Samsung and TSMC with a coupple smaller guys picking up the last coupple percent, SK Hynix would be interesting to see them sell too though IMO. The sale isnt confirmed yet so it might not happen, so far it seems they are only considering it.

So what are your guys thoughts on this, do you think GloFo will sell or will they keep going?

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

3 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

random thought: aren't there more things from amd that aren't made by TCMC? like polaris, addon chips, chipsets, like that?

The IO die on the upcoming Zen 2 chips should be still be manufactured by GloFo. I believe AMD is still using GloFO for 12 nm die of GloFo

Ex-EX build: Liquidfy C+... R.I.P.

Ex-build:

Meshify C – sold

Ryzen 5 1600x @4.0 GHz/1.4V – sold

Gigabyte X370 Aorus Gaming K7 – sold

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB @3200 Mhz – sold

Alpenfoehn Brocken 3 Black Edition – it's somewhere

Sapphire Vega 56 Pulse – ded

Intel SSD 660p 1TB – sold

be Quiet! Straight Power 11 750w – sold

If Samsung comes out with Globalfoundries... they'll have a solid grasp on way too much of the tech market lmao.

edit: Here are a couple of the first links I found in English

Edited by Cereal5

My Build, v2.1 --- CPU: i7-8700K @ 5.2GHz/1.288v || MoBo: Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E Gaming || RAM: 4x4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 2666 14-14-14-33 || Cooler: Custom Loop || GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black, on water || PSU: EVGA G2 850W || Case: Corsair 450D || SSD: 850 Evo 250GB, Intel 660p 2TB || Storage: WD Blue 2TB || G502 & Glorious PCGR Fully Custom 80% Keyboard || MX34VQ, PG278Q, PB278Q

Audio --- Headphones: Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX || Amp: Schiit Audio Magni 3 || DAC: Schiit Audio Modi 3 || Mic: Blue Yeti

[Under Construction]

My Truck --- 2002 F-350 7.3 Powerstroke || 6-speed

My Car --- 2006 Mustang GT || 5-speed || BBK LTs, O/R X, MBRP Cat-back || BBK Lowering Springs, LCAs || 2007 GT500 wheels w/ 245s/285s

The Experiment --- CPU: i5-3570K @ 4.0 GHz || MoBo: Asus P8Z77-V LK || RAM: 16GB Corsair 1600 4x4 || Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo || GPUs: Asus GTX 750 Ti, || PSU: Corsair TX750M Gold || Case: Thermaltake Core G21 TG || SSD: 840 Pro 128GB || HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB

R.I.P. Asus X99-A motherboard, April 2016 - October 2018, may you rest in peace. 5820K, if I ever buy you a new board, it'll be a good one.

...and there was also a report that it wouldn't be sold.

Sadly GF never really took off and was mostly a desaster, especially for AMD (32nm late and other shit)...

Well, can only be better if GF gets sold to someone who really wants/needs the fabs to do their fabbing...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

2 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

...and there was also a report that it wouldn't be sold.

Sadly GF never really took off and was mostly a desaster, especially for AMD (32nm late and other shit)...

Well, can only be better if GF gets sold to someone who really wants/needs the fabs to do their fabbing...

That looks scarily close to a monopoly though, especially if it's Samsung who buys them

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

Just now, OrbitalBuzzsaw said:

That looks scarily close to a monopoly though, especially if it's Samsung who buys them

people here don't seem to have a Problem with other Monopolys though.

So I don't get where the hate against Samsung comes from...

There are others that are even worse than Samsung where people don't seem to care about their dominance, their monopoly...

1 minute ago, Stefan Payne said:

people here don't seem to have a Problem with other Monopolys though.

So I don't get where the hate against Samsung comes from...

There are others that are even worse than Samsung where people don't seem to care about their dominance, their monopoly...

Speaking for myself at least, I don't like the monopolies but there's nothing to be done.

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

She/they 

2 minutes ago, OrbitalBuzzsaw said:

Speaking for myself at least, I don't like the monopolies but there's nothing to be done.

Yes, there is: NOT Buying their stuff!

There are always alternatives available...

People just need to buy them and not the Monopolists...

2 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

Be that as it may, 99.9% of people don't care, so me doing it isn't really going to matter

She/they 

12 minutes ago, OrbitalBuzzsaw said:

It's not monopoly really. There are other foundries as well (Intel and Samsung already have them). If Samsung buys them, they'd just be more self sufficient. What would be a monopoly is if only foundry left is TSMC. Then it would be a monopoly on their end.

the future will be composed of only a handful of mega conglomerates waiting to attempt to buy each other out

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

Facebook, Twitter and other companys have shown that in the IT, it tends to monopolize in some areas without much alternatives...

3 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

Facebook, Twitter and other companys have shown that in the IT, it tends to monopolize in some areas without much alternatives...

It's easier to monopolise social trends, what's "cool" and software than hardware and engineering. once you reach majority in a market as crucial to modern economy as chip manufacturing you can basically control how fast world develops computationally.

Look at what Shintel's done before Ryzen came out.

43 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

Well that's kind of the problem right, not buying their stuff usually means either getting worse quality or paying more. Nobody likes monopolies, but people dislike paying too much or getting worse stuff even more.

42 minutes ago, OrbitalBuzzsaw said:

Be that as it may, 99.9% of people don't care, so me doing it isn't really going to matter

Well that's way too easy of an argument though. If you actually really care than you should act on it without being influenced by what other people do. 

PSU tier list // Motherboard tier list // Community Standards 

My System:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 3600, Gigabyte RTX 3060TI Gaming OC ProFractal Design Meshify C TG, 2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200MHz, MSI B450 Gaming Plus MaxSamsung 850 EVO 512GB, 2TB WD BlueCorsair RM850x, LG 27GL83A-B

4 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

Whatm

This is dumbest thing i have heard

Buy shitty expensive items just because you are against monopolies as a whole?

Samsung probably makes more sense given the technicals, but it would be an interesting expansion for SK Hynix. GloFo is a contract foundry but they are the 3rd largest in the world still. 

51 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

wait, the whole of GoFlo or a few of the fab facilities? o_o

all of the production. there might be something left in ATICs hands afterwards but as i see it its a sale of the entire company pretty much

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Fucking dumbass saudis (Emiratis?) make GF cancel 7nm just before it's ready and now a couple months later just want out? Holy shit I mad, they fucked GF over and now they want to wash their hands of their bad decisions.

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

Thought: Wait until GloFo tanks hard due to moron management, and then AMD comes in and buys them back at a stupid discount.

And then fire the entire upper management and rebuild GloFo from the top down.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

10 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

Thought: Wait until GloFo tanks hard due to moron management, and then AMD comes in and buys them back at a stupid discount.

And then fire the entire upper management and rebuild GloFo from the top down.

Probably won't be happening as they sold it for a reason.

And you see at Intel how many Problems they have with new processes.

Without your own fabs you can choose where you make your stuff freely and don't have to pay the high cost for R&D and maintaining the fabrication stuff. If you don't have anyone other than yourself and you don't sell very much it is an enormous problem...

SO it doesn't make sense for AMD (yet) to buy them back.

8 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

Probably won't be happening as they sold it for a reason.

And you see at Intel how many Problems they have with new processes.

True - but the reason they sold GloFo was due to dire financial situations and they wanted to streamline the company. Granted, buying it back (especially with current value) goes against their own interests, but at a low enough cost, it's definitely possible.

Without your own fabs you can choose where you make your stuff freely and don't have to pay the high cost for R&D and maintaining the fabrication stuff. If you don't have anyone other than yourself and you don't sell very much it is an enormous problem...

Also true, but being fabless has it's own problems.

1. You're reliant on a third party, and you're not in control of the R&D. If you need a new node for a new product, and they fuck up R&D, you may be screwed. Case in point: GloFo screwing up 7nm - them going to TSMC was a backup plan.

2. You're still paying at least part of the R&D costs - the fab is definitely passing on the cost to it's customers. At best, it's spread out among multiple customers.

3. If the fab you were intending on using has some issue, retooling your design for a different fab is not painless, and does take some amount of time and money.

Besides, owning a fab doesn't mean you can't also still use third parties. The main reason AMD was stuck with GloFo was due to a supply contract - they signed a deal guaranteeing that they would buy certain levels of silicon.

If AMD owned GloFo, they would not be limited to a supply contract. They could choose to still go to Samsung or TSMC for some of their products.

SO it doesn't make sense for AMD (yet) to buy them back.

Indeed - the entire scenario rests on the idea that GloFo essentially goes bankrupt or otherwise tanks so badly that AMD can buy them for a bargain.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)