Judge Allows Lawsuit Over AMD's FX Processors to Continue

Audherbagn

Remember that old FX lawsuit over core count? Well it is back. 

Cotext: The AMD FX series high end chips were launched as 8 core processors, but due to shared cache channels, they work more like hyperthreaded quad cores. People saw the opportunity to sue and did (as they should), but AMD didn't want to be sued. As a result of not wanting to be sued, AMD decided to try and get the case dropped claiming that the plantiffs knew the structure of the fx core before they bought them, due to their official definition of a core being changed. Now, a judge blocked that and the case can finally go forward. 

Link

4 minutes ago, syn2112 said:

good, AMD should feel bad for that abomination of a processor.

I know for many years, decades even, AMD was behind Intel on CPU speeds/core/wattage/etc. but without AMD as a competitor, even an inferior one (at the time anyway) Intel would not have improved as much as they did, not keep their prices in line.

I say this as someone who prefers Intel, but have had a number of AMD systems, including an FX-6300 which worked just fine as a gaming rig.

Having said that, if AMD cheated on core count, then they should be rightly hauled into court over it. 

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

7 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

if AMD cheated on core count

Which they didn't. Despite core pairs sharing some resources, Bulldozer CPUs do have 2, 4, 6, and 8 cores.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

13 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

I know for many years, decades even, AMD was behind Intel on CPU speeds/core/wattage/etc. but without AMD as a competitor, even an inferior one (at the time anyway) Intel would not have improved as much as they did, not keep their prices in line.

I say this as someone who prefers Intel, but have had a number of AMD systems, including an FX-6300 which worked just fine as a gaming rig.

Having said that, if AMD cheated on core count, then they should be rightly hauled into court over it. 

love AMD, and i know their importance in the market, but i really can't excuse them for the bulldozer architecture which i might add they kept refreshing for 6 god damn years with 0 improvements, just different names, i understand they probably had to do that because they failed with bulldozer, but it's just deceptive.

I came from an E5400 overclocked to 4Ghz, to an A8-6600K, wasn't the upgrade i was hoping for considering it's "double" the cores and 4 years apart, it definitely wasn't double the performance.

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

Oh leave them alone. Isn't it obvious they've atoned for their sin with Ryzen?

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

42 minutes ago, syn2112 said:

good, AMD should feel bad for that abomination of a processor.

they barely made any money from them, so they are already pained from it.

the lawsuit probably won't go anywhere since what a core is isn't a set definition.

3 minutes ago, poochyena said:

since what a core is isn't a set definition.

That's also exactly why the lawsuit even exists (and continues to live) in the first place.

As others have mentioned, there's no clearcut definition of a "core". 2 cores with a Shared cache does not inherently mean they aren't separate cores.

I can't imagine that AMD will lose this.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

19 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Which they didn't. Despite core pairs sharing some resources, Bulldozer CPUs do have 2, 4, 6, and 8 cores.

From an outside perspective, if we didn't know what was going on inside the CPU, it would appear to have the claimed number of cores. I've never owned or tested one, but if I understand correctly, these were modules, each module containing two integer units (cores) and one shared FP unit. If you run only integer code, it scaled with cores. If you run FP code one per module, it would scale with module. Beyond that, sharing becomes a limit and you don't see further uplift. It isn't that code doesn't work at all, but a question of performance.

We can look back to Intel in the 386 and earlier era, where the FPU was not a standard inclusion in the CPU. I'm not sure without looking it up, it wasn't until either 486 or Pentium that a FPU was included as standard. So we kinda have some precedent to a CPU core not needed a FPU and still be counted as such. For those CPUs without FPU, the instructions were emulated at significantly lower performance.

The only danger to this argument is that multi-threading within a single CPU core also looks kinda similar, although in this case the performance may drop for any code sharing the same core.

18 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

Honestly unless there was some formal definition of cores that the fx cores did not fit I don't see the merit in such a case. 

When it comes to legal cases, it will be won or lost on legal interpretations, not common sense ones. Like the successful lawsuits against HD manufacturers for correctly using size modifiers, whereas the fault of the misunderstanding was the way operating systems reported capacity.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

Just now, thorhammerz said:

That's also exactly why the lawsuit even exists (and continues to live) in the first place.

So you're implying the lawsuit exists because there's no definition? Source for that claim?

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

So, depending on how this goes, there may be a "proper" definition of a core, huh?

1 minute ago, Nowak said:

So, depending on how this goes, there may be a "proper" definition of a core, huh?

Well, a legal definition, anyway. Personally I'd rather the industry develop a definition on their own, rather than having one forced on us by a court which likely has only the most basic (as in, less than us here on the forums) understanding of a CPU to begin with.

5 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

As others have mentioned, there's no clearcut definition of a "core". 2 cores with a Shared cache does not inherently mean they aren't separate cores.

I can't imagine that AMD will lose this.

at worst, since there is afaik no legal definition of a Processing core in silicon AMD will get tagged with a minor Fine and forced to change the name to execution units or something similar.

another note: if AMD fails this, wouldnt it also tag onto Nvidia with their Cuda Cores or is that a trademarked name and therefore can be put under lawsuit. because it is more debetable if theys should be named cores at all compared to bulldozer cores.

Just now, dalekphalm said:

Well, a legal definition, anyway. Personally I'd rather the industry develop a definition on their own, rather than having one forced on us by a court which likely has only the most basic (as in, less than us here on the forums) understanding of a CPU to begin with.

Yeah, I guess that's true. Defining what a "core" is should be left up to the industry, not a court.

4 minutes ago, porina said:

From an outside perspective, if we didn't know what was going on inside the CPU, it would appear to have the claimed number of cores. I've never owned or tested one, but if I understand correctly, these were modules, each module containing two integer units (cores) and one shared FP unit. If you run only integer code, it scaled with cores. If you run FP code one per module, it would scale with module. Beyond that, sharing becomes a limit and you don't see further uplift. It isn't that code doesn't work at all, but a question of performance.

We can look back to Intel in the 386 and earlier era, where the FPU was not a standard inclusion in the CPU. I'm not sure without looking it up, it wasn't until either 486 or Pentium that a FPU was included as standard. So we kinda have some precedent to a CPU core not needed a FPU and still be counted as such. For those CPUs without FPU, the instructions were emulated at significantly lower performance.

The only danger to this argument is that multi-threading within a single CPU core also looks kinda similar, although in this case the performance may drop for any code sharing the same core.

When it comes to legal cases, it will be won or lost on legal interpretations, not common sense ones. Like the successful lawsuits against HD manufacturers for correctly using size modifiers, whereas the fault of the misunderstanding was the way operating systems reported capacity.

All they need to prove is that their fx cores are indeed cores which I don't see any reason why they wouldn't be. Yeah they share resources but almost all multi core processors share resources to some extent. 

1 minute ago, GoldenLag said:

at worst, since there is afaik no legal definition of a Processing core in silicon AMD will get tagged with a minor Fine and forced to change the name to execution units or something similar.

another note: if AMD fails this, wouldnt it also tag onto Nvidia with their Cuda Cores or is that a trademarked name and therefore can be put under lawsuit. because it is more debetable if theys should be named cores at all compared to bulldozer cores.

1 minute ago, Nowak said:

Yeah, I guess that's true. Defining what a "core" is should be left up to the industry, not a court.

Plus as computing evolves, what's actually inside a CPU core in, say, 10 years from now, might not even have any of the components inside one now (obviously this is a bit of a stretch, but you get the idea).

If someone wants to sue AMD for a shit processor that failed to deliver promised performance? All the power to them. But suing them over "Your 8 cores are different than Intel's cores!" is just stupid to me.

If someone wants to sue AMD for a shit processor that failed to deliver promised performance? All the power to them. But suing them over "Your 8 cores are different than Intel's cores!" is just stupid to me.

Even then, this isn't the dumbest lawsuit I've seen - I've seen someone sue McDonalds over getting burned after they spilled coffee in their lap xD

But yeah. Suing AMD because their cores on an older CPU work differently than Intel cores is pretty dumb.

1 minute ago, Brooksie359 said:

All they need to prove is that their fx cores are indeed cores which I don't see any reason why they wouldn't be. Yeah they share resources but almost all multi core processors share resources to some extent. 

well, it is then a question of where do you draw the line. 

Is a  Ryzen 7 1700 a 2 core, 8 execution unit, 16 thread processor?

in the case of bulldozer its slightly different with each 2 cores having a single pipeline feeding them

Just now, Nowak said:

Even then, this isn't the dumbest lawsuit I've seen - I've seen someone sue McDonalds over getting burned after they spilled coffee in their lap xD

But yeah. Suing AMD because their cores on an older CPU work differently than Intel cores is pretty dumb.

To be fair, everyone misunderstands the whole "Lady sued mcdonalds for hot coffee" thing.

The coffee was being brewed at higher than industry standard temperatures, and she suffered 3rd degree burns all over her body.

To be fair, everyone misunderstands the whole "Lady sued mcdonalds for hot coffee" thing.

The coffee was being brewed at higher than industry standard temperatures, and she suffered 3rd degree burns all over her body.

That's also true.

As much as the FX CPUs sucked (I type this from a FX 8320 @ 4.5ghz), this is bullshit. There are 8 physical cores in the CPU, you can't change or deny that fact. Yes, they share resources, but there are, in fact, 8 physical cores. What's next, are we gonna claim the 2990WX only has 16 cores because of the way half the cores access RAM?
2990WX.jpg

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer

while bulldozer was hot. AMD didnt exactly do anything wrong in calling them cores. Because they sort of are, but sort of arent.