Judge Allows Lawsuit Over AMD's FX Processors to Continue

Audherbagn
8 minutes ago, Jito463 said:

I'm not aware of any time that AMD directly compared their FX-8350 to the i7-5820k.  Care to share?

Indeed - by that argument, Intel should sue every single ARM SoC manufacturer because there are 8-core ARM SoC's that are clearly slower than an i7-5820k.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

4 hours ago, mr moose said:

It'll be interesting to see which way this goes.  I agree their marketing was crap and on that score they'll likely lose, but I also think the loss would be unfair like I thought the 970 loss was unfair.

My main gripe with the FX series was that it physically couldn't work at its listed core count in most programs. You could argue that the FPU doesn't matter (the still functioning 386 DX-40 I have is an example) but when the majority of programs make use of the FPU its still kind of essential, and it should have at least had them so that the FPU could run parallel instructions (aka significantly toned down SMT).
As it stands, for what was offered the die size was kind of absurd.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Sorry posted in the wrong area

Edited by Samuelmusick

CPU  Ryzen 7 2700x     Motherboard  Gigabyte Aorous x470     RAM  G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 3200     GPU  Aorus RTX 2080      Case Rosewill Spectra D100     Storage  WL 2 Terabyte 32MB Cache 7200RPM SATA2, Crucial P1 1TB NVMe PCIe M.2 SSD     PSU 850 watt 80+ platinum Seasonic     Display(s)  MSI Optix MAG322CQRV 32"     Operating System  Windows 10

51 minutes ago, Jito463 said:

I'm not aware of any time that AMD directly compared their FX-8350 to the i7-5820k.  Care to share?

He didn't say AMD made the comparison, he said the comparison was made using the information provided by AMD.  Which is actually something a lot of people do, especially on these forums where they compare specs to specs to attain an idea of performance difference.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

1 hour ago, mr moose said:

He didn't say AMD made the comparison, he said the comparison was made using the information provided by AMD.  Which is actually something a lot of people do, especially on these forums where they compare specs to specs to attain an idea of performance difference.

Actually, he said they "believed directly as a result of AMD's marketing materials".  I'm curious what "marketing materials" led them to believe that the FX-8350 was superior to the i7-5820k, especially given that - as I said - I've never seen AMD directly compare the two.

Just now, Jito463 said:

Actually, he said they "believed directly as a result of AMD's marketing materials".  I'm curious what "marketing materials" led them to believe that the FX-8350 was superior to the i7-5820k, especially given that - as I said - I've never seen AMD directly compare the two.

That does not mean AMD did a comparison, it means they got their information for their comparison directly from AMD.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

1 minute ago, mr moose said:

That does not mean AMD did a comparison, it means they got their information for their comparison directly from AMD.

So perhaps he could enlighten the rest of us as to what "marketing materials" led to this erroneous conclusion.

While I guess that it's *maybe false advertising, this is the definition of a frivolous lawsuit and it pains me every time a judge lets something like this move forward.

AMD can still win. If they switch to arguing about what the definition of a "core" is, of which there isn't a solid one, even in industry, and certainly not in law.

Seriously, there is no standardized definition of "core" in this context, and if AMD gets a smart lawyer they can do two things: Win on that point, and have a chance at defining what a "core" is in such a way that it protects manufacturers from such frivolous litigation.

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

24 minutes ago, Jito463 said:

So perhaps he could enlighten the rest of us as to what "marketing materials" led to this erroneous conclusion.

Maybe he will, but I dare say it will be similar to the alleged marketing material in this lawsuit.

3 hours ago, mr moose said:

4 hours ago, Jito463 said:

Meaning that my friend... ignoramus as he was... seeing material about AMD FX's chips being “first native 8-core desktop processor” and “the industry’s first and only native 8-core desktop processor for unmatched multitasking and pure core performance with ‘Bulldozer’ architecture.” was hooked on the scam. [Two quotes that show up on every marketing material for the 8350 on every retailer.]

So fool as he was... he looked at the spec. oh look at that AMD FX 8350, higher clocks, higher cores... makes sense (to him) then how it might have 'unmatched multitasking and pure core performance'.

example of how egregiously marketed these chips were.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4904560

Hey look at that! That bs quote shows up as well here.

Oh wait there is more!

https://www.amd.com/en-gb/products/processors/desktop/fx 

AMD STILL deceptively markets FX chips on their own website.

Though at least there, they include footnotes on how they justified themselves (for core/clock speed comparisons), but no justification for any performance claims.

image.png

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

1 hour ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

Snip

This is why you never trust marketing material ever and always wait for independent testing 

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

10 hours ago, Arika S said:

This is why you never trust marketing material ever and always wait for independent testing 

Especially since by their very nature, cores are vastly different in almost every aspect between differing architectures - especially between differing architectures created by separate engineering and research teams.

The fact that in one generation, an NVIDIA CPU "core" is faster than an AMD one, doesn't mean much of anything besides different architectural choices.

Same goes with a Exynos ARM SoC vs an Apple A-series ARM SoC. Even though it's using the same basic instruction set (ARM), the architectures are pretty different, and therefore between generations, one "core" might be faster than a core from a competitor. And that might flip with the next generation.

There's no doubt at all that Bulldozer was an architectural dead end. They had an idea, and the idea massively failed. That doesn't mean they lied about having 8 cores. They did. Those cores were just different (and inferior, on an individual basis) to similar AMD cores.

Also, Why the fuck is the claimant comparing an FX-series CPU (architecturally unchanged since 2011) to an i7-5820k which was released in 2014? No shit a 3 year newer, considerably more expensive CPU is going to perform better than a 3-year old "mainstream" (both in pricing and performance) CPU.

That would be like arguing that you thought a 1990 Toyota Century (V8 engine but less than 200 HP) should be faster than a MX-5 Miata (tiny 4-cyl engine). Sure, the engine has "more cores" (more pistons) but it's nowhere near as fast.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)