Judge Allows Lawsuit Over AMD's FX Processors to Continue

Audherbagn

BTW this lawsuit is a tiny shell of what it should be. Affecting only California consumers and those that visited AMD's website before purchase.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

1 hour ago, RejZoR said:

AMD's 8 cores were actual real 8 cores. There was no hyperthreading involved. It's just that they had separate INT units, but shared FP unit. And that's seen by some as cheating...

Note how in nearly all games the FX series performed in a similar manner to early quad cores, and dual core i3?

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

58 minutes ago, Subway said:

FX 8350 is still pretty good in 2019 consider it is 8 years old processor! 

Yet obviously worse than Sandy Bridge CPUs, which are even older.

Ex-EX build: Liquidfy C+... R.I.P.

Ex-build:

Meshify C – sold

Ryzen 5 1600x @4.0 GHz/1.4V – sold

Gigabyte X370 Aorus Gaming K7 – sold

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB @3200 Mhz – sold

Alpenfoehn Brocken 3 Black Edition – it's somewhere

Sapphire Vega 56 Pulse – ded

Intel SSD 660p 1TB – sold

be Quiet! Straight Power 11 750w – sold

42 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

FX 6300, 6350, 8300, 8320, 8350 and I think there's an 8370 in there.

Don't forget 4300, 4320, 4350, 8320E, 8370E and 9370. Can't leave out the legendary 9590 since it is part of that family too lol.

Not trying to defend, but AMD did not cheat on core count and hyperthreading is a completely different thing.

AMD had shared resources for 2 cores making 1 module, hyperthreading is software split up of a single core resources, hyperthreads are not physical.

Yes you do have less performance per core in 1 module because of shared resources in many scenarios that became the bottleneck but you do have 8 physical cores in FX 8000 series etc.

AMD didnt lie they had their designs public and i do remember people writing articles about the shared resources reducing performance.

I wonder who sued them i doubt regular users did, is it a "rival" or someone who has beef with AMD behind this.

You could sue nvidia for gtx 970 with 3.5gb fast GDDR5 and 512mb of slow vram, but they advertised 4GB vram gpu which the GPU does have, hence you would lose in a sue case.

2 hours ago, 2Buck said:

As much as the FX CPUs sucked (I type this from a FX 8320 @ 4.5ghz), this is bullshit. There are 8 physical cores in the CPU, you can't change or deny that fact. Yes, they share resources, but there are, in fact, 8 physical cores. What's next, are we gonna claim the 2990WX only has 16 cores because of the way half the cores access RAM?
2990WX.jpg

Agreed - and tbh while they suck...as more games take advantage of higher cores my FX is still competitive in 2019.  Builds me PLENTY of frame time for what I want to see (60fps locked @ 1600x900.

I have yet to see a game shut down a core while playing because it was sharing resources.  Not my older titles nor any of the new titles. 

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

2 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

Plus as computing evolves, what's actually inside a CPU core in, say, 10 years from now, might not even have any of the components inside one now (obviously this is a bit of a stretch, but you get the idea).

If someone wants to sue AMD for a shit processor that failed to deliver promised performance? All the power to them. But suing them over "Your 8 cores are different than Intel's cores!" is just stupid to me.

Next thing you know people are going to be suing Qualcomm because their cores suck for Windows. 

2 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

So you're implying the lawsuit exists because there's no definition? Source for that claim?

"No definition"? The implication is whether or not the definition was ambiguous (or not!), and how said definition was marketed and perceived. Good try attempting to twist words though.

We explored the Bulldozer concept when we reviewed the FX-8150 back in 2011. AMD had previously taken a bit of a holier-than-thou approach to counting cores because it believed Intel's Hyper-Threading, which offers two logic processors for each physical core, was disingenuous. But then AMD developed the Bulldozer module to share "instruction fetch and decode stages, floating-point units, and the L2 cache" between two cores and changed its tune.

This is where the lawsuit comes in. Some people who bought the FX-8120, FX-8150, FX-8320, FX8350, FX-8370, FX-9370, and FX-9590 processors believe AMD misled them with its claims about how many cores the processors had. The company marketed its FX processors as the world's first eight-core CPUs, but because of the shared resources between cores in Bulldozer modules, the lawsuit alleges that this claim was deceptive about real-world performance.

We pointed out nearly a decade ago that AMD had suddenly changed its definition of what a "core" is for these processors:

"To best accommodate its Bulldozer module, the company is saying that anything with its own integer execution pipelines qualifies as a core (no surprise there, right?), if only because most processor workloads emphasize integer math. I don’t personally have any problem with that definition, but if sharing resources negatively impacts per-cycle performance, then AMD necessarily has to lean on higher clocks or a greater emphasis on threading to compensate."

AMD's goal for Bulldozer modules was to offer many of the benefits of having a bunch of cores without actually having to, you know, use completely separate cores. The company said at the time that a Bulldozer module could average 80% the performance of two complete cores. But the lawsuit's plaintiffs weren't looking for eight-core processors that performed like six-core processors; they wanted the performance of eight individual cores.

Relevant bits are quoted for your convenience, from Tom's Hardware.

The lawsuit is ultimately about how AMD marketed their products, and whether said products in the eyes of the plaintiffs matched up to said marketing.

2 minutes ago, Tristerin said:

Agreed - and tbh while they suck...as more games take advantage of higher cores my FX is still competitive in 2019.  Builds me PLENTY of frame time for what I want to see (60fps locked @ 1600x900.

I have yet to see a game shut down a core while playing because it was sharing resources.  Not my older titles nor any of the new titles. 

Y'know, I take it back, even though their IPC is really bad (compared to Sandy bridge, and even phenom ii), saying they suck is a little harsh. All those AMD fanboys from back then turned out to be right, the CPUs haven't aged too bad now that games can take advantage of all the threads.

My FX 8320 has done me very well. I edit 1080p 60 FPS video in premiere, stream/record at 720p 60 FPS in OBS, hosted game servers while playing games (before I built dedicated game servers), and plenty of other things. This CPU has always kept up.

Oh, and as they get cheaper on eBay, it's gonna be cool seeing them take over socket 775's role as the "extreme budget" CPUs. Just now on eBay I found two 8320s under 60$, maybe soon they'll be 40$ and under. Hell, there's one for 40$ on there that has couple of bent pins. Before you know it, you'll be able to buy a 6300 for 20$.

The FX CPUs started out really bumpy, and they were far behind the competition in single threaded tasks, but overall they've turned out... Alright. Way to go Faildozer.

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer

22 minutes ago, yian88 said:

You could sue nvidia for gtx 970 with 3.5gb fast GDDR5 and 512mb of slow vram, but they advertised 4GB vram gpu which the GPU does have, hence you would lose in a sue case.

From memory, people did, and people won. At least, it was for some part of the US.

1 hour ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

Again. Intel lost (well agreed to settle once it was evident they were going to lose) a class action suit over similar marketing with regards to the Pentium 4 lineup amidst the 'Gigahertz War'.

I don't recall that one, maybe a bit before my time. To my understanding, settling may be preferable to winning, if winning is going to cost you a load of time and resources you want to spend on other things. It's less likely in the UK, as the system is generally that loser has to pay winners costs, so you're going to have to be pretty confident to take anyone to court. Maybe I'm wrong, I don't believe that is the case in US, so even if you win a defending case, you're out of pocket the costs racked up to do so. Settling may be cheaper and you can move on faster.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

This lawsuit is entirely frivolous and has no more merit than the Samsung curved corner law suit and the Sony 1080p Killzone lawsuit

Intel i5-3570K/ Gigabyte GTX 1080/ Asus PA248Q/ Sony MDR-7506/MSI Z77A-G45/ NHD-14/Samsung 840 EVO 256GB+ Seagate Barracuda 3TB/ 16GB HyperX Blue 1600MHZ/  750w PSU/ Corsiar Carbide 500R

6 minutes ago, 2Buck said:

Y'know, I take it back, even though their IPC is really bad (compared to Sandy bridge, and even phenom ii), saying they suck is a little harsh. All those AMD fanboys from back then turned out to be right, the CPUs haven't aged too bad now that games can take advantage of all the threads.

My FX 8320 has done me very well. I edit 1080p 60 FPS video in premiere, stream/record at 720p 60 FPS in OBS, hosted game servers while playing games (before I built dedicated game servers), and plenty of other things. This CPU has always kept up.

Oh, and as they get cheaper on eBay, it's gonna be cool seeing them take over socket 775's role as the "extreme budget" CPUs. Just now on eBay I found two 8320s under 60$, maybe soon they'll be 40$ and under. Hell, there's one for 40$ on there that has couple of bent pins. Before you know it, you'll be able to buy a 6300 for 20$.

The FX CPUs started out really bumpy, and they were far behind the competition in single threaded tasks, but overall they've turned out... Alright. Way to go Faildozer.

Agreed - I think those that knock this CPU either don't have one and are usually just regurgitating what they have read.  My only knock is the TDP.  Its usefulness in 2019 is fairly competitive.

I actually have the i5 3470 (4c/4t), and the FX 8350 (direct competitors timeframe wise).  I prefer gaming on the FX 8350.  It loads games faster (important in FPS competitive play) plain and simple.  Frames are nearly identical (I slapped one of my HD 7850's in it and checked it out) but loading times are not.  Both as similar environments as I could make them for the testing purposes (why I game on the FX and not the i5 and its in my living room - its also WAY lower TDP and its on more lol)

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

13 minutes ago, porina said:

From memory, people did, and people won. At least, it was for some part of the US.

Yep, $30 per card (article from anandtech).

• Overprice your pieces of junk off all you want to (read: current state of RTX pricing)
  • Force your consumers to pay extra to stay in your ecosystem (read: G-Sync for the past 5 years).
  • Implement aggressive planned obsolence as business needs dictates (Apple and Nvidia are big on this).
  • But if (emphasis on if) you're ever caught lying about whatever product you're selling (however good or bad it is), you're in line for some court action ?.

It'll be interesting to see which way this goes.  I agree their marketing was crap and on that score they'll likely lose, but I also think the loss would be unfair like I thought the 970 loss was unfair.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

1 hour ago, yian88 said:

More importantly, the GTX 970 had fewer enabled ROPs than they originally claimed. That was indisputably false, while the memory thing was debatable to some extent, just like the Bulldozer core thing is.

1 hour ago, mr moose said:

It'll be interesting to see which way this goes.  I agree their marketing was crap and on that score they'll likely lose, but I also think the loss would be unfair like I thought the 970 loss was unfair.

To be fair there is a standard for ddr5 and the last .5gb wasn't really meeting that standard. 

I think i"m going to go with the guy who has 30 years of experience/education in the legal field

Awards

• 2013-2014: Criminal Defense: White Collar, Best Lawyers in America
  • 2013-2014: Future Star, Benchmark Litigation
  • 2008-2013: Northern California Super Lawyers
  • 1998: San Francisco NAACP 1998 Thomas I. Atkins Civil Rights Award
  • 1994: United States Law Week award for outstanding service and unfailing commitment to the Stanford Law Review
  • 1993-1994: Article editor, Stanford Law Review
  • 1992-1994: Member, Stanford Law Review
  • 1992: Hilmer Oehlmann Jr. Prize for outstanding work in first-year Legal Research and Writing, Stanford Law School
  • 1991: Thatcher Memorial Prize for encouragement of extemporaneous debate among undergraduates, Yale University
  • 1991: Master's Cup for service to Timothy Dwight College, Yale University

You don't need to have a technological background to understand what is being claimed on both sides.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

Suing AMD for this is like buying a double cheeseburger then suing the company because you got one cheeseburger with two burgers in rather getting two separate cheeseburgers!

Laptop:

Spoiler

HP OMEN 15 - Intel Core i7 9750H, 16GB DDR4, 512GB NVMe SSD, Nvidia RTX 2060, 15.6" 1080p 144Hz IPS display

PC:

Spoiler

Vacancy - Looking for applicants, please send CV

Mac:

Spoiler

2009 Mac Pro 8 Core - 2 x Xeon E5520, 16GB DDR3 1333 ECC, 120GB SATA SSD, AMD Radeon 7850. Soon to be upgraded to 2 x 6 Core Xeons

Phones:

Spoiler

LG G6 - Platinum (The best colour of any phone, period)

LG G7 - Moroccan Blue

20 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

To be fair there is a standard for ddr5 and the last .5gb wasn't really meeting that standard. 

I would argue in the same context that in the customers eye there is also a standard for what constitutes a processor core.  Technically the 970 did have the full 4gb off ddr5, it's just the last .5 shared L2 cache.  The same thing will be argued here, the FX has all 8 cores, they just don't operate at the performance you would expect from a core because each core didn't have it's own FPU or L2cache, just like the last .5Gb didn't have it's own L2 and shared the L2 with it's neighboring MC.  It is almost identical in technical marketing aspects.

But more importantly, what I am getting at, is we can't really just claim on a technicality they are right, because others will claim on a technicality they are wrong and what it really is about is product representation to the consumer. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

30 minutes ago, mr moose said:

I would argue in the same context that in the customers eye there is also a standard for what constitutes a processor core.  Technically the 970 did have the full 4gb off ddr5, it's just the last .5 shared L2 cache.  The same thing will be argued here, the FX has all 8 cores, they just don't operate at the performance you would expect from a core because each core didn't have it's own FPU or L2cache, just like the last .5Gb didn't have it's own L2 and shared the L2 with it's neighboring MC.  It is almost identical in technical marketing aspects.

But more importantly, what I am getting at, is we can't really just claim on a technicality they are right, because others will claim on a technicality they are wrong and what it really is about is product representation to the consumer. 

As an aside, if you take the weak core approach, then Intel is also guilty of it with their quad core ultra cheap Pentium/Celerons that performs nowhere near the traditional Pentium/Celeron lineups.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

31 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Also... 4GB of VRAM was not THE selling point of the product. Like the 8 cores at a reasonable price was THE selling point AMD spread everywhere for this product.

Nvidia advertised directly performance gains over previous products with the 970 (real performance gains that actually existed and were not faked), AMD basically did its best to ignore the performance of bulldozer in its marketing for the cpu (probably because the performance was downright bad).

So yes, if that lawsuit resulted in settlement, I very much expect this one to as well.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

Just now, Curufinwe_wins said:

Also... 4GB of VRAM was not THE selling point of the product. Like the 8 cores at a reasonable price was THE selling point AMD spread everywhere for this product.

Nvidia advertised directly performance gains over previous products with the 970 (real performance gains that actually existed and were not faked), AMD basically did it's best to ignore the performance of bulldozer in its marketing for the cpu (probably because the performance was downright bad).

So yes, if that lawsuit resulted in settlement, I very much expect this one to as well.

This is actually very true and will likely have a bigger impact on the outcome than people think.

3 hours ago, yian88 said:

Not trying to defend, but AMD did not cheat on core count and hyperthreading is a completely different thing.

AMD had shared resources for 2 cores making 1 module, hyperthreading is software split up of a single core resources, hyperthreads are not physical.

Yes you do have less performance per core in 1 module because of shared resources in many scenarios that became the bottleneck but you do have 8 physical cores in FX 8000 series etc.

AMD didnt lie they had their designs public and i do remember people writing articles about the shared resources reducing performance.

I wonder who sued them i doubt regular users did, is it a "rival" or someone who has beef with AMD behind this.

There was a 970 lawsuit and it was settled, each person that bought the 970 got around $30 if I remember correctly.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

7 hours ago, syn2112 said:

good, AMD should feel bad for that abomination of a processor.

It really was. I bought the FX6350 thinking (OK cool. I have a 6 core CPU and I can pair it with my GPU and be good!)

Little did I know at the time the CPU was garbage and I quickly upgraded to an i5. Been happy with that i5 until Ryzen released

Main Rig CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700x GPU: Asus TUF Gaming RX5700XT MBASUS AM4 TUF Gaming X570-Plus RAM: 64GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200 CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Master Liquid LC240E SSD: Crucial 250gb M.2 + Crucial 500gb SSD HDD: PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower Gran RGB 850W 80+ Gold Case: Corsair Carbide 275R KB: Glorious GMMK 85% MOUSE: Razer Naga Trinity HEADSET: Go XLR with Shure SM7B mic and beyerdynamic DT 990

unRAID Plex Server CPU: Intel i7 6700 GPU: Nvidia Quadro P2000 MB: Asus B150M-C RAM: Crucial Ballistix 32gb DDR4 3000MT/s CPU Cooler: Stock Intel SSD: Western Digital 500GB Red HDD: 4TB Seagate Baracude 3x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf PSU: EVGA BT 80+ Bronze 450W Case: Cooler Master HAF XB EVO KB: Cheap Logitech KB + Mouse combo

6 hours ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

For example, I had friends as recently as 2016 who still believed (directly as a result of AMD's marketing materials and claims) that the 8350 was a far better 8-core cpu than the 5820k 6-core.

I'm not aware of any time that AMD directly compared their FX-8350 to the i7-5820k.  Care to share?