EU copyright bill negotiations cancelled

Sakkura

The ongoing saga of the controversial proposal for a new EU directive on copyright took a surprising twist last night, as the "final" negotiations on what the directive would look like have been cancelled due to mounting opposition.

Apparently multiple countries -- including Germany, Italy, the Netherlands and Poland -- made it clear they would not support the latest text put forth by Romania, and therefore would have blocked it from moving forward. Monday's negotiations were supposed to have been the "final" negotiations (after the previous "final" negotiations that didn't accomplish much) around a "compromise" bill that then would have gone out to be voted on by the EU Council, the EU Committee and the EU Parliament in the next few months. However, with the news of all those countries (via the EU Council) deciding to vote against the proposal, it effectively blocks it for now.

This is the proposal with article 11 and article 13 that you may have heard a lot about. Link taxes and upload filters have faced strong opposition from digital rights groups, though corporations like Google and Facebook have also weighed in with significant lobbying. Swaying the Italian government against the bill appears to have been a major factor in the breakdown, which leaves the proposal with bleak prospects, though not officially stone dead.

After today, the directive’s future is much less certain. Member states were gathered to approve a new version of the directive drafted by Romania — but eleven countries reportedly opposed the text, many of them citing familiar concerns over the two controversial articles. Crucially, Italy’s new populist government takes a far more skeptical view of the strict copyright proposals. Member states have until the end of February to approve a new version of the text, although it’s unclear what compromise might be reached.

So that's good news for the internet as we know it. The EU legislative process has vacillated on this for a long time, and now seems to be swaying in the right direction at the goal line.

Sources:

Techdirt

The Verge

2 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

i'm proud of my country for not supporting it. 

Which countries actually supported it? Is there a list?

1 minute ago, OnyxArmos said:

Which countries actually supported it? Is there a list?

no clue. i just read in the OP that my country was among those that blocked it. 

She/Her

1 minute ago, firelighter487 said:

no clue. i just read in the OP that my country was among those that blocked it. 

Awh.. the UK isn't in that list ? 

8 minutes ago, OnyxArmos said:

Ofc not. It's UK.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

3 minutes ago, OnyxArmos said:

>The UK didn't block it

Imagine my shock /s

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

47 minutes ago, OnyxArmos said:

don't have to worry about posting Johny Johny Yes Papa memes anymore OwO 

That is the single strongest argument in favor of these articles.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

This had to be one of the dumbest proposals anyway. Totally unrealistic and impossible to maintain without totally fucking up entire internet as we know it.

oh... some good news? i wasn't prepared for such an event

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

For those interested, I made this searchable and easy to filter document which shows exactly which people, from which parties and countries, and how they voted during the proposal back in September.

The source of the information is here, but you need an account and it's not as easy to filter in. Although the website does have more information on it.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=14XHlFXZlP4PaO-JLfsqRe_91RoXdMeqhAeb3b3mcfsc

Source:

https://www.votewatch.eu/en/term8-copyright-in-the-digital-single-market-draft-legislative-resolution-vote-commission-proposal-ordinar.html

Fuck romania where did they pull that text out from? romania has the worst garbage politicians in the entire EU, analfabetism, fake diplomas and they have no idea what they do with any law backfires everytime, just the recent garbage amnesty law released over 10k prisoners without any filtering due to bad prison condition and they started killing people and now its all drama and idiots pointing fingers at other.

I though this was by the lobby companies in Bruxels now i understand our politicians are just puppets, they cant make a single good law for our country but they pull this text out of their asses probably made by someone else and they just promote it.

2 hours ago, OnyxArmos said:

The UK probably didn't get a vote seeing as we are currently trying to leave the E.U

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

1 hour ago, yian88 said:

Fuck romania where did they pull that text out from? romania has the worst garbage politicians in the entire EU, analfabetism, fake diplomas and they have no idea what they do with any law backfires everytime, just the recent garbage amnesty law released over 10k prisoners without any filtering due to bad prison condition and they started killing people and now its all drama and idiots pointing fingers at other.

I though this was by the lobby companies in Bruxels now i understand our politicians are just puppets, they cant make a single good law for our country but they pull this text out of their asses probably made by someone else and they just promote it.

Romania is just leading the negotiations now because they just took over the leadership role. The text was negotiated mainly by the EU parliament, though I guess Romania's latest draft was crappy.

aa4.jpg

for now?

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

Just now, Salv8 (sam) said:

(love the movie, it's great...)

Johny Johny Yes Papa is the best meme in the world and I'd honestly die if that stupid Article 13 happened and I couldn't post memes anymore :'((

Just now, OnyxArmos said:

Johny Johny Yes Papa is the best meme in the world and I'd honestly die if that stupid Article 13 happened and I couldn't post memes anymore :'((

i was talking about the spongebob movie....

not the meme...

*Insert Witty Signature here*

System Config: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/Tncs9N

Just now, Salv8 (sam) said:

i was talking about the spongebob movie....

not the meme...

The spongebob movie is ass 

Get good taste 

4 hours ago, Sakkura said:

The EU legislative process has vacillated on this for a long time, and now seems to be swaying in the right direction at the goal line.

I would call this a win, but it's concerning that most of the countries were for pushing it. It's only a matter of time until they try something like that again. It's inevitable. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

14 minutes ago, OnyxArmos said:

The spongebob movie is ass 

Get good taste 

you better not be talking about the original... 

otherwise sir i will swear word at you...

*Insert Witty Signature here*

System Config: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/Tncs9N

31 minutes ago, Salv8 (sam) said:

you better not be talking about the original... 

otherwise sir i will swear word at you...

I am talking about the original ? Tbh the new one was better, it had a better story