Latest iOS update disables cellular service on iPhone XR/XS

rcmaehl
Message added by colonel_mortis

Please stay on topic

Sources:
Forbes
Tom's Guide

Summary:
iPhone users are unable to make or receive calls, SMS, and MMS messages after the latest 12.1.2 and 12.1.1 updates. Effectively making the phone a brick.

Media:
https%3A%2F%2Fblogs-images.forbes.com%2Fgordonkelly%2Ffiles%2F2018%2F12%2FScreenshot-2018-12-09-at-02.11.12.jpg

Quotes/Excerpts:

iOS 12.1.2 is going from bad to worse for iPhone owners...as it is now having very serious consequences for many users. Reports are now flooding in from around the world that it cuts off mobile data services. Apple’s claims that it “Addresses an issue that could affect cellular connectivity in Turkey for iPhone XR, iPhone XS, and iPhone XS Max” seem ironic given the problem has now expanded to all models of iPhone across all continents.  iPhone owners now suffering from mobile data loss after upgrading to iOS 12.1.2 can be found in North America, South America, Europe and Asia. But the United States appears to be hit particularly hard. This is just the tip of the iceberg. India is also badly hit and the complaints are flying in. There has been no official comment and the company’s official Twitter support is telling users to restart their phones and update carrier settings. Apple has already started beta testing iOS 12.1.3. The release date is unknown and it again appears to be motivated by legal concerns. Still, it would be astonishing if Apple doesn’t acknowledge and try to fix these mobile data problems at the same time. I would strongly suggest you steer clear of iOS 12.1.2. iOS 12.1.2 exists primarily as a loophole to get Apple out of a Chinese sales embargo I can’t see any reason why you’d risk your mobile data connection for it.

My Thoughts:

What a Fantastic Christmas gift from Apple! A botched, rushed upgrade that was being used as a loophole to the Chinese sales embargo. Perhaps if Apple wasn't in such a rush to make a ton of money, they'd be able to test their updates more thoroughly.

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

Rumors of my death have been greatly exaggerated.

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

2 minutes ago, rcmaehl said:

Perhaps if Apple wasn't in such a rush to make a ton of money, they'd be able to test their updates more thoroughly

E945B4A9-5F7B-4D81-96C8-EDE4BEE398B1.gif

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

How does that happen? How do you not test an update before pushing it? How does the one function that's a huge part of your product name just get so neglected? C'mon Apple, even I'm not that stupid. I feel like someone at Apple is about to get fired.

I’m writing this from my iPhone with the latest update and have no issue.

My guess would be these users ran into some kind of software glitch with apps that’s installed on their phones

Just now, Bcat00 said:

I’m writing this from my iPhone with the latest update and have no issue.

My guess would be these users ran into some kind of software glitch with apps that’s installed on their phones

Or perhaps hardware specific? Like maybe it's just the new iPhones, or maybe ones with certain hardware.

Obligatory required @DrMacintosh tag for Apple related threads.

How typical of this forum to shit on Apple whenever they do something. 

Apple is just trying to help people spend time with their family during Christmas, instead of spending time on their phones. But of course haters need to blow things out of proportion. Be grateful for this gift from Apple you pricks.

Also, android devices suck because they do not get updates and if this happened to a Samsung device nobody would say anything. Fuck the media for reporting on this issue. 

Let's change the subject to either how great Apple is or how bad Android is, ok? 

Just now, LAwLz said:

Apple is just trying to help people spend time with their family during Christmas, instead of spending time on their phones. But of course haters need to blow things out of proportion. Be grateful for this gift from Apple you pricks.

Also, android devices suck because they do not get updates and if this happened to a Samsung device nobody would say anything. Fuck the media for reporting on this issue. 

Let's change the subject to either how great Apple is or how bad Android is, ok? 

Samsung et al:

2pp3kj.jpg

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

I was on the beta of this iOS build for weeks (7 Plus) and didn’t have any issues. Maybe it’s related to the new Intel modems in the iPhone XS/XR? 

24 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

OK Holy shit you just win Christmas lmfao

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

2 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

-snip-

The only counter to bias is bias in the opposite opinion. We can have reasonable discussion without the thread getting too terribly off-topic.

35 minutes ago, r2724r16 said:

E945B4A9-5F7B-4D81-96C8-EDE4BEE398B1.gif

hello-darkness-gob-gif-wall-4.gif?w=650

⠀⠀⠀⣴⣴⡤
⠀⣠⠀⢿⠇⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⢷⡗
⠀⢶⢽⠿⣗⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣼⡧⠂⠀⠀⣼⣷⡆
⠀⠀⣾⢶⠐⣱⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣤⣜⣻⣧⣲⣦⠤⣧⣿⠶
⠀⢀⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠛⠿⣿⣿⣷⣤⣄⡹⣿⣷
⠀⢸⣿⢸⣿⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠙⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⠀⠿⠃⠈⠿⠆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠹⠿⠿⠿

⠀⢀⢀⡀⠀⢀⣤⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⡀⡀
⠀⣿⡟⡇⠀⠭⡋⠅⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⣟⢿
⠀⣹⡌⠀⠀⣨⣾⣷⣄⠀⠀⠀⠀⢈⠔⠌
⠰⣷⣿⡀⢐⢿⣿⣿⢻⠀⠀⠀⢠⣿⡿⡤⣴⠄⢀⣀⡀
⠘⣿⣿⠂⠈⢸⣿⣿⣸⠀⠀⠀⢘⣿⣿⣀⡠⣠⣺⣿⣷
⠀⣿⣿⡆⠀⢸⣿⣿⣾⡇⠀⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣗⣻⡻⠿⠁
⠀⣿⣿⡇⠀⢸⣿⣿⡇⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁

Just now, VegetableStu said:

yeaaaah but this thing boils down to "it'll get patched" ._. (although not being able to make calls............. (although although worse has happened to phones (although although although like Lawlz said Apple (and seconds in place Samsung and Google) gets statistically higher coverage whenever it's a phone screwup (although although although although I might be thinking too much))))

Apple gets more flack because it as a more consistent ecosystem. They control both the hardware and software, unlike the fragmented mess that is Google based Android on Whatever Brand Hardware. They SHOULD have the capability to predict and test out issues, especially extremely noticeable issues like this one, without much issue.

30 minutes ago, rcmaehl said:

The only counter to bias is bias in the opposite opinion. We can have reasonable discussion without the thread getting too terribly off-topic.

Yeah but it just opens it up for defense of Apple which is fine but, with excuses like "who cares its not a widespread issue it'll get fixed quickly" or "oh look what happened to other phone maker with their update putting fake notches all over the screen". Instead of focusing on why it happened in the first place on a device people are paying top dollar for.

Edit - VegatableStu beat me to it lol.

It isn't a brick, it has just been turned into an iPod touch. We've found that most of our customers already own the newest model anyway and the old devices can be serviceable as iPods instead of having that pesky phone functionality because who the fuck needs to call 911 amirite?

-------

Current Rig

-------

1 minute ago, firelighter487 said:

my iPhone 7 is on the latest update and works totally fine... so.. I dunno. 

Same 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

57 minutes ago, rcmaehl said:

iPhone users are unable to make or receive calls, SMS, and MMS messages after the latest 12.1.2 and 12.1.1 updates. Effectively making the phone a brick.

I wouldn't say a brick. Isn't that essentially what the iPod touch was?

:)

1 hour ago, rcmaehl said:

Sources:
Forbes
Tom's Guide

Summary:

Media:
https%3A%2F%2Fblogs-images.forbes.com%2Fgordonkelly%2Ffiles%2F2018%2F12%2FScreenshot-2018-12-09-at-02.11.12.jpg

Quotes/Excerpts:

My Thoughts:

What a Fantastic Christmas gift from Apple! A botched, rushed upgrade that was being used as a loophole to the Chinese sales embargo. Perhaps if Apple wasn't in such a rush to make a ton of money, they'd be able to test their updates more thoroughly.

At least now they are going down the toilet not just HW side but SW too... Agree