Fallout 76 PC version will not launch on Steam, instead on Bethesda.net

Techicolors

Bethesda has officially confirmed that Fallout 76 will not be released on Steam, and will instead release as a store exclusive on the publisher's standalone Bethesda.net storefront.  

In the company's Fallout 76 B.E.T.A (Break-it Early Test Application), Bethesda plans to offer players access to the full game and allow their progress to be transferred to the entire game at launch. B.E.T.A access is guaranteed for all players who pre-order the game on the PlayStation Store, the Xbox One Store and on Bethesda.net. 

Beta Access will be granted to Xbox One players first, followed by other platforms. At this time, Bethesda has not revealed when the game's beta will launch. This makes Fallout 76's B.E.T.A feel more like Early Access than a traditional Beta, given its paid for nature and included content.  

it is also listed in the FAQ for the B.E.T.A.

A: The B.E.T.A. will be available on Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and on PC (via Bethesda.net). Stay tuned for exact timing for each platform here and @Fallout on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. Please note that the B.E.T.A. for Xbox One will begin first, followed by other platforms.

As for my opinion, it is annoying to now have to manage another client just to play a pc game. and i feel like Beth's reasoning is to further push paid mods, as the storefront is more accessible. 

https://fallout.bethesda.net/faq

https://www.overclock3d.net/news/software/fallout_76_won_t_be_released_on_steam_-_pc_version_will_be_exclusive_to_bethesda_net/1

Ew, why? Pretty soon in the future we're going to have to open a different client for every triple-A game we want to play 

Good. Fewer ads for shitty games every time I open Steam.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

I generally like Steam, but competition = good. Having all of your shit on a single platform where the owner can pull the plug on you any time they like for any reason they like isn't great.

Separate launchers for everything does seem to be the trend for the last few years. And if that is the way it is going to be so long as I can prevent the launcher from automatically starting with my computer I think I am ok with it. Not optimal, but livable.

I might just be back after the last few years because Spez is an idiot and I'm making a point to start staying away from Reddit.

8 minutes ago, gabrielcarvfer said:

We need something like MoviesAnywhere for games.

What could be written is an interface that lists all your existing games, whereby you launch the one you wish to play, and the program opens the correct client, and then when you are done playing said game, closes said client.

We could call it something like GMI "Game Management Interface"

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

OMG! 1 possibly 2 more mouse clicks to play this game! the insanity. How could they be so inconsiderate? /s

If it were any other game I would care, but I know I'll buy pretty much every bethesda game that comes out so I can live with downloading their launcher too I guess.

also, steam takes 30% wtf ? no wonder 

edit: this could actually mean the game will be cheaper too.. 

i7-8700k @ 4.8Ghz | EVGA CLC 280mm | Aorus Z370 Gaming 5 | 16GB G-Skill DDR4-3000 C15 | EVGA RTX 2080 | Corsair RM650x | NZXT S340 Elite | Zowie XL2730 

14 minutes ago, Cornontheecob said:

OMG! 1 possibly 2 more mouse clicks to play this game! the insanity. How could they be so inconsiderate? /s

Just having a launcher causes this effect, regardless of who it is through. I think the majority of the issue more lies in how many launcher programs do we really want running on our computers.

I might just be back after the last few years because Spez is an idiot and I'm making a point to start staying away from Reddit.

I dream of the day for cross platform and cross content platform purchases so you can pay once and play it on console or PC and also have your choice of game library management platform instead of the constant "Hey we have one now too, oh you want it on the one you already use? Too bad ours only".

6 minutes ago, leadeater said:

I dream of the day for cross platform and cross content platform purchases or you can pay once and play it on console or PC and also have your choice of game library management platform instead of the constant "Hey we have one now too, oh you want it on the one you already use? Too bad ours only".

The irony that I agree with you, despite such a platform being a monopoly, which I despise.

Although I'd prefer people realize that consoles are just stupified PC's that only exist still because of exclusivity, and people educate themselves to use actual computers.

Seriously exclusivity is the only thing consoles have remaining.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Well I know what I won't be playing when fallout 76 launches

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

Just now, Yoinkerman said:

Well I know what I won't be playing when fallout 76 launches

World of Warcraft?

I'm jk, yes, I still play wow.. and yes this is a delimma for me... New Wow expansion hits in 2 weeks, but will I still play it when Fallout 76 comes out? I really only have time for one "MMORPG" in my life.

1 hour ago, AntiTrust said:

If it were any other game I would care, but I know I'll buy pretty much every bethesda game that comes out so I can live with downloading their launcher too I guess.

also, steam takes 30% wtf ? no wonder 

edit: this could actually mean the game will be cheaper too.. 

30% is normal.

And the game won't be cheaper, lol.

We've known that Fallout 76 was only going to be on the Bethesda launcher from the minute that the beta was only through their software. This is kind of old news.

*Insert Name* R̶y̶z̶e̶n̶ Intel Build!  https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/748542-insert-name-r̶y̶z̶e̶n̶-intel-build/

Case: NZXT S340 Elite Matte White Motherboard: Gigabyte AORUS Z270X Gaming 5 CPU: Intel Core i7 7700K GPU: ASUS STRIX OC GTX 1080 RAM: Corsair Ballistix Sport LT 2400mhz Cooler: Enermax ETS-T40F-BK PSU: Corsair CX750M SSD: PNY CS1311 120GB HDD: Seagate Momentum 2.5" 7200RPM 500GB

Valve's 30% cut is standard for a retailer/ platform. Competition is good but fuck having like 8 launchers. I will tolerate this but if they push mods (Not for 76 obviously) to bethesda.net only I'm gonna be triggered

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

2 hours ago, lazypc said:

Separate launchers for everything does seem to be the trend for the last few years

Well, every game used to be its own separate install back in the day, it's just trending back towards that (with the added addition of "launchers" so the publishers can advertise their other games now).  I only accepted Steam because it was far more convenient at the time (still is, really), but I'm fine with multiple launchers so long as I can turn them off when not in use.  If I have to jump through hoops to shut them down, that's when I'll care.

Meh.  Wasn't going for it anyway.  Multiplayer survival's not my cup of tea.  Had loads of fun with modding Fallout 4 though, can't wait for the Fallout Miami mod.

fallout 1 and 2 were better...

I’d rather not have a specific launcher client for every single Game Studio that thinks they are entitled to their own crap clients. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

15 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

I’d rather not have a specific launcher client for every single Game Studio that thinks they are entitled to their own crap clients. 

I just want standalone .EXE files. No extra client ftw.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

Just now, Zodiark1593 said:

I just want standalone .EXE files.

Lol idk if I’d want to go that far xD 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)