Denuvo DRM has had enough of Revolt Group and starts legal action with Bulgarian authorities.

ItsMitch
41 minutes ago, pizapower said:

That's why CDPR rules.

also GOG. it's mostly a haven for classic games, but also DRM-free games (which usually go together). some of the games even have DRM initially but were removed

1 minute ago, djdwosk97 said:

you can argue the efficacy of DRM and the quality of Denuovos software all day, but that doesn't change the fact that this person did cause them damages

Funny how contradictory is what you wrote. So the cracker is responsible for the incompetence of the team developing denuvo... :D

4 minutes ago, Techicolors said:

also GOG. it's mostly a haven for classic games, but also DRM-free games (which usually go together). some of the games even have DRM initially but were removed

CDPR and GoG are under the same company, CD Projekt

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

3 minutes ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

CDPR and GoG are under the same company, CD Projekt

i know, just wanted to bring it up 

Fuck that company that... protects their IP? I don't get it.

I see many people saying they crack to improve performance... Still. They are protecting their IP.

No matter what merit you think cracking has or how shit Denuvo is, this dude WAS breaking the law. His intentions don't matter all that much, having facilitated piracy and stolen profit from the companies. 

I feel bad for the guy. Can't say I don't see a place for piracy. But I also can't say fuck Denuvo. This IS their fight.

i5 6600k and GTX 1070 but I play 1600-900. 1440p BABY!

Still, don't put too much faith in my buying decisions. xD 

21 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

Funny how contradictory is what you wrote. So the cracker is responsible for the incompetence of the team developing denuvo... :D

Nothing there is contradictory.

I am still responsible for anything stolen if I break into a house with an unlocked door.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

40 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

I agree that DRM at the end of the day probably doesn't make much of a difference -- those who pirate still will and those ...

I kinda disagree because pirating is getting harder and takes way longer due to better DRM. It sometimes takes a few month if they don´t give up earlier. This means pirating is less of an option than it used to be because people are not known for patience. 

8 minutes ago, Teddy07 said:

I kinda disagree because pirating is getting harder and takes way longer due to better DRM. It sometimes takes a few month if they don´t give up earlier. This means pirating is less of an option than it used to be because people are not known for patience. 

Yes, but from my experience, people who pirate never had any intention of buying 98% of the content they pirated but did end up getting their friends to buy the aforementioned content. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

44 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

Nothing contradictory about what he said, you just choose to not see denuvo's side. I get it, you think that the guy is helping and he probably is for gamers, in your mind, he is a good guy who's being punished. It's illegal what he does whether you like it or not.

I hope he goes free tho :)

1 hour ago, jagdtigger said:

Even the suppressed EU study wasnt able to prove that piracy is causing any damage so set aside those baseless accusations. As for denuvo instead of using a band-aid solution they should get their act together. Their crappy code wont fix itself just because they needlessly ruined someones life...

If it wasn't so damaging then Denuvo wouldn't be putting forth the legal effort in stopping a hacker. It's also common sense that piracy does cause damage when people can get a game for free and the publisher makes nothing from their IP. The crappy code doesn't suddenly make piracy okay. It sucks that the guy isn't being questioned fairly, but didn't even bother to hide himself while distributing cracked games.

This guy is not the traditional scene guy but the millennial version of it, openly disclosing his home country, showing up everywhere, reddit, discord, having his own forum, and worst of all openly accepting donation, including "donation" for exclusive denuvo bypass aka allowing payment for pirated copies. Unless he lives in China or some other countries that doesn't give 2 fuck about Western powers, he's given denuvo every access points possible to get to him. Frankly I'm surprised he made it this far.

They should have hired the guy, not sued him

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

6 minutes ago, mrthuvi said:

This guy is not the traditional scene guy but the millennial version of it, openly disclosing his home country, showing up everywhere, reddit, discord, having his own forum, and worst of all openly accepting donation, including "donation" for exclusive denuvo bypass aka allowing payment for pirated copies. Unless he lives in China or some other countries that doesn't give 2 fuck about Western powers, he's given denuvo every access points possible to get to him. Frankly I'm surprised he made it this far.

he even had a google+ profile linked to a youtube channel where he posted a video on how to defeat denuvo. He was practically asking for this.

Truthfully, Denuvo has every right to sue the group, and to be honest, Denuvo should win this case.

I mean, I don't agree with how DRM is usually implemented in modern titles, but considering the fact that the group has documented holes in what is DRM presumably protected by various laws, the crackers kinda had it coming to them.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

16 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

Truthfully, Denuvo has every right to sue the group, and to be honest, Denuvo should win this case.

I mean, I don't agree with how DRM is usually implemented in modern titles, but considering the fact that the group has documented holes in what is DRM presumably protected by various laws, the crackers kinda had it coming to them.

Could of hired him instead of bringing the law down upon him.

I'm just wondering, does Denuvo have a proper case here?

Revolt never attacked Denuvo directly but they did crack products that contained Denuvo.

Revolt published altered versions of games that contained Denuvo, but never stuff that ONLY contained Denuvo stuff.

If Ubisoft or Sega sued Revolt i would understand, but i don't really get this one....

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

6 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

I'm just wondering, does Denuvo have a proper case here?

Revolt never attacked Denuvo directly but they did crack products that contained Denuvo.

Revolt published altered versions of games that contained Denuvo, but never stuff that ONLY contained Denuvo stuff.

If Ubisoft or Sega sued Revolt i would understand, but i don't really get this one....

He can argue he found ways of bypassing the DRM by creating his own code, but Denuvo can probably blame him for loss of income maybe?

3 hours ago, YedZed said:

Fuck that company that... protects their IP? I don't get it.

I see many people saying they crack to improve performance... Still. They are protecting their IP.

No matter what merit you think cracking has or how shit Denuvo is, this dude WAS breaking the law. His intentions don't matter all that much, having facilitated piracy and stolen profit from the companies. 

I feel bad for the guy. Can't say I don't see a place for piracy. But I also can't say fuck Denuvo. This IS their fight.

Don't know about you, but I can still confidently say, "Fuck Denuvo" for creating and releasing shitty and unnecessary products, while still accepting that they have the legal grounds to protect their IP. Something being legal doesn't necessarily mean its justifiable or reasonable.

13 minutes ago, SC2Mitch said:

He can argue he found ways of bypassing the DRM by creating his own code, but Denuvo can probably blame him for loss of income maybe?

I guess they could do that, but then they have to prove that the cracks are the cause of companies implementing an alternative DRM which i think is not an easy thing to prove. Or there's another POV that i'm missing here.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

1 hour ago, OrbitalBuzzsaw said:

They should have hired the guy, not sued him

I actually knew someone In college who had a buddy that hacked his bank account and transferred all the money from it to a different account to troll him. Ended up getting in some trouble but they ended up hiring him to help fix the vulnerability. 

4 hours ago, Teddy07 said:

There are also legitimate reasons for cracking groups to exist.  Back in 2005 or so, I switched 100% over to XP Pro x64 edition (the first official 64-bit Windows version to come out).  Around that time, I was playing Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory, which was still using Starforce copy protection.  If I ran the trial version of the game, it would play perfectly in my copy of Windows, but if I ran the full copy protected version, it would not work because the SF drivers were only 32-bit.  There was a 64-bit version of the drivers, but Ubisoft absolutely refused to upgrade the DRM so I could play my legitimately purchased game.  I had to wait around 1 year for the 3rd party "fix", but I was eventually able to play my legal copy of the game again.  That's why I'm not opposed to cracking groups in principle.

1 hour ago, TimeOmnivore said:

Don't know about you, but I can still confidently say, "Fuck Denuvo" for creating and releasing shitty and unnecessary products, while still accepting that they have the legal grounds to protect their IP. Something being legal doesn't necessarily mean its justifiable or reasonable.

It's YOUR OPINION that they are unnecessary products. The game publisher absolutely doesn't view it that way -- hence why they're willing to pay money for that "unnecessary" product. You not liking something doesn't change reality.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

5 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

It's YOUR OPINION that they are unnecessary products. The game publisher absolutely doesn't view it that way -- hence why they're willing to pay money for that "unnecessary" product. You not liking something doesn't change reality.

Pretty much this.

I'll go into DRM-like features in a way I understand it easily, with VHS tapes, of all things.

When movie studios started warming up to the concept of selling and renting their movies on home video formats, they, reasonably, wanted copy protection. Macrovision came in, and its first implementation could reasonably deter piracy (I say deter for a reason, it didn't prevent it but simply made it that you needed extra hardware to strip Macrovision's signal) for a bit. The problems started arising when it started including messing with the color burst portion of the video. While I abhor its later implementations (want a great example of Macrovision at its worst? Pick up a Nickelodeon tape from Paramount that was printed from 1996 to 2000 that was in EP mode) the movie studios obviously saw it as a worthwhile thing.

That's kinda how game copy protection is nowadays. It can start off simple enough, but the more complex it gets, the more carefully it should be implemented before it starts affecting the legitimate user's experience and the harder crackers would have to work to get it running without its copy protection. I'm not saying that it's right or wrong for copy protection to exist, because if it exists, the publishers usually care a lot about if the game ends up pirated. What I'm saying is, these companies find it invaluable enough for Denuvo to take off as it did.

Also to be frank, the cracker they're suing is an absolute idiot. You never want to make yourself that public doing blatantly illegal things.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

5 hours ago, djdwosk97 said:

Nothing there is contradictory.

I am still responsible for anything stolen if I break into a house with an unlocked door.

Contradictory part there is in my opinion that it isn't "the owner of the house" who sues him but "the company that made the lock".

Voksi has had it coming and has probably costed Irdeto quite a lot of money. But seeing how special skillset Voksi has it's kind of odd that Irdeto is going to sue him instead of giving him so fat paycheck that he cannot say no and start to work for Irdeto to make Denuvo better. Usually even smaller grey/black hats who have done lesser than bringing a whole security measure down has been hired rather than sued just because by sueing them they might take that knowledge they have and spread it everywhere and that's the moment when your company is going bankrupt because instead of one person able to bypass your security you have hundreds capable to do the same.

Even if Voksi has shown in a YouTube video how he hacks through the Denuvo we haven't seen any kind of explosion of cracker groups doing the same. Better, Irdeto probably has had quite many meetings and spent quite many hours to patch those shown holes and still Voksi has gotten through the Denuvo, telling that he knows more about the Denuvo than Irdeto themselves.

And it's not even only cybersecurity companies that do this, just look at the lockpicking community, the biggest YouTube channel that I know is run by a guy who doesn't reveal his name nor the company he works for but from couple of his videos you can see that he doesn't work for some small lockcompany but apparently quite large private security company.

Oh yeah, bu-hu-huu, we are going to loose at the moment best cracker. Probably takes few months to year or couple that same level cracker. After all it's just a fact that even if Irdota was to sue every single cracker they can, there will be still many who can do the same and many who will some day to the same.