Rumour: New Intel chips will have SOLDERED IHS, dropping August 1st

Nicnac

Any iGPU upgrade or are we still seeing HD 5/630 refreshes?

I can't wait until Intel releases a mainstream 8-core soldered i7 CPU. I will definitely order my next build when that day arrives.

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S | MB: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite | RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws V 32GB 3600MHz | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra | Case: Fractal Design Define R6 Blackout | SSD1: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | SSD2: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB | HDD1: Seagate Barracuda 2TB | HDD2: Seagate Barracuda 4TB | Monitors: Dell S2716DG + Asus MX259H  | Keyboard: Ducky Shine 5 (Cherry MX Brown) | PSU: Corsair RMx 850W

10 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

If it's a "enthusiast" grade CPU, I question if there's an iGPU at all.

Well, a scaled back iGPU with 2-4 EUs for display output purposes would be good.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

"New Intel chips will have soldered IHS dropping august 1st"

image.png.0d3a85262109d58deb5a789f79d91622.png 

This may have been a waste of time now, but it will serve me well in the future...

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

2 minutes ago, MageTank said:

"New Intel chips will have soldered IHS dropping august 1st"

image.png.0d3a85262109d58deb5a789f79d91622.png 

This may have been a waste of time now, but it will serve me well in the future...

have a reaction for a semi-original meme

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

well I don't know about you guys but when I delidded a couple I just take the IHS over with a shiv. Then I cover it in liquid metal and that's how I keep my temps low.

The geek himself.

9 hours ago, Phentos said:

He has a 240hz monitor and the CPU is pretty much always able to maintain those kinds of framerates when coupled with his 1080TI. That being said, all he plays now are esport games such as LoL, Fortnite, and CS:GO.

To be fair, it doesn't take much with those games.  An AMD FX system with a 600 series GeForce (or equivalent Radeon) could probably keep those same framerates.

13 hours ago, Christophe Corazza said:

Are the 5.5 Ghz with a water chiller or with a stock cooler?

thats probably pushing it, even for 14nm++++

11 hours ago, Spongy141 said:

Finally, Intel chips that clock high without heating up the entire room.

the heat will just be moved faster the amount of heat released should be the same 

10 hours ago, O9B0666 said:

Finally intel makes a chip you can compare to the r2700x 8 core vs 8 core fair not 6 core vs 8 core... Anyways this'll take all the Ryzen fan boys out behind the barn and put em to sleep finally 

for a few months only, amd is reading zen 2, which will put intel at a disadvantage in node process for the first time ever, and we are expecting more cores and clocks so competition will be fierce 

10 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

which will put intel at a disadvantage in node process for the first time ever,

I have to admit I am little on the edge of my seat waiting to see how this all turns out.  It's like watching an undefeated pro league team get upset in the grand final on home turf.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

2 minutes ago, mr moose said:

I have to admit I am little on the edge of my seat waiting to see how this all turns out.  It's like watching an undefeated pro league team get upset in the grand final on home turf.

+1 here, hopefully others are too, this is going to be fun, specially on the server side

15 hours ago, Christophe Corazza said:

There is always something new on the horizon related to PC tech.

So if you keep waiting for all of the new releases, you'll never actually end up building your PC. You'll simply keep delaying your build.

If  you put it that way it seems a lot better haha.

Please quote me or @ me in your response so I get a notification.                                                                       I really really really really like small text.

Occupation: Gamer | Hours: 24/7 Full-Time | Hourly Pay: 0 | Benefits: Chick Magnet

FINISHED BUILD - VIEW PROFILE

If you say I'm not always right, but I am, I will say I am right. 

rekt

16 hours ago, dizmo said:

I'd be happy if they just didn't look like ass. Really, though, how many people use stock coolers?

ima be real here.  I feel that they aren't all that bad. They are free, or like 5 bucks from a local tech shop. They cool you CPU just fine, if you are not OC. I even got a 4.4 on my 6600k without it breaking a sweat.

Please quote me or @ me in your response so I get a notification.                                                                       I really really really really like small text.

Occupation: Gamer | Hours: 24/7 Full-Time | Hourly Pay: 0 | Benefits: Chick Magnet

rekt

2 minutes ago, MrShinny said:

ima be real here.  I feel that they aren't all that bad. They are free, or like 5 bucks from a local tech shop. They cool you CPU just fine, if you are not OC. I even got a 4.4 on my 6600k without it breaking a sweat.

That's debatable. They're pretty awful, often hitting high 90's under regular conditions, especially in less than ideal cases.

The one AMD includes is multitudes better. Intel has no excuse.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

2 minutes ago, dizmo said:

That's debatable. They're pretty awful, often hitting high 90's under regular conditions, especially in less than ideal cases.

It depends what CPUs you use them on. I phrased my post wrong, I meant more for lower end CPUs that come with the stock cooler. Those are cooled fine by the cooler.

I'm not saying it's the best of the best, or the worst of the worst. But it's something.

rekt

3 hours ago, MrShinny said:

It depends what CPUs you use them on. I phrased my post wrong, I meant more for lower end CPUs that come with the stock cooler. Those are cooled fine by the cooler.

I'm not saying it's the best of the best, or the worst of the worst. But it's something.

No, it doesn't.

Intel uses the same, shitty heatsink for all their products. Their i3 have the same boxed cooler as their i7 variants while AMD has 3 or 4 different boxed heatsinks, depending on TDP and so on.

Look here, go to 1:25min:

And now look at an AMD Wraith Spire 

Even the Wraith Stealth should be better than that shit...

Why the hell are you defending this garbage?!

Buttom Line:
The AMD Boxed Heatsink is quite usable and the "big one" offers quite reasonable cooling performance.

The Intel do not.

3 hours ago, dizmo said:

Agreed.
The Intel Heatsink of the i7 things is just not acceptable and Intel should be bashed for that Heatsink.

For the Price they demand for the CPU, there is no excuse for this heatsink!

Linus did a video about that:

And that is with a better Intel Heatsink than the Boxed ones. 

And yes, you can get that AMD Cooler boxed with a CPU:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z401FxifZF8

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

inb4 they use Tin from cans they found in the garbage to solder with because it saves them 0.1$ per chip

Main Rig

CPU: Ryzen 2700X 
Cooler: Corsair H150i PRO RGB 360mm Liquid Cooler
Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair VII Hero
RAM: 16GB (2x8) Trident Z RGB 3200MHZ
SSD: Samsung 960 EVO NVME SSD 1TB, Intel 1TB NVME

Graphics Card: Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti OC

Case: Phanteks Evolv X
Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Platinum-Rated

Radiator Fans: 3x Corsair ML120
Case Fans: 4x be quiet! Silent Wings 3

5 hours ago, Armakar said:

inb4 they use Tin from cans they found in the garbage to solder with because it saves them 0.1$ per chip

Its usually not tin but other materials that are softer and have lower melting temperatures.

For example Indium.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

but I just upgraded my dad to an 8600k... sigh

lol he's probably more than fine.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

10 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

No, it doesn't.

Intel uses the same, shitty heatsink for all their products. Their i3 have the same boxed cooler as their i7 variants while AMD has 3 or 4 different boxed heatsinks, depending on TDP and so on.

Look here, go to 1:25min:

And now look at an AMD Wraith Spire 

Even the Wraith Stealth should be better than that shit...

Why the hell are you defending this garbage?!

Buttom Line:
The AMD Boxed Heatsink is quite usable and the "big one" offers quite reasonable cooling performance.

The Intel do not.

Agreed.
The Intel Heatsink of the i7 things is just not acceptable and Intel should be bashed for that Heatsink.

For the Price they demand for the CPU, there is no excuse for this heatsink!

Linus did a video about that:

And that is with a better Intel Heatsink than the Boxed ones. 

And yes, you can get that AMD Cooler boxed with a CPU:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z401FxifZF8

I like how "well it doesn't throttle" is an excuse these days. 

why does everything have to run on the limit of complete disaster? if a CPU is rated for 100C it should run well below that in normal operation...not borderline throttling. 

Or like apple... we'll let it run at full speed for about 30 seconds. then it can throttle. that's fine. no one cares!

I mean in reality the chips are probably fine... but I dont want my laptop to throttle just because I bring it outside. I want all it has to offer... all of the time.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

1 hour ago, bcredeur97 said:

why does everything have to run on the limit of complete disaster? if a CPU is rated for 100C it should run well below that in normal operation...not borderline throttling. 

That's why I water cool my GPUs, I know they run perfectly fine at high temps but personally staying below 60C is nice and can be done so I do it.

2 hours ago, leadeater said:

That's why I water cool my GPUs, I know they run perfectly fine at high temps but personally staying below 60C is nice and can be done so I do it.

And the looks of course :P

For the first time since ivy bridge intel might be worth considering again (unless you delid and shit over the warranty it wouldnt matter)