Windows Update KB4284835 - Causing Boot Loops

I'm bringing this to the news sessions because this issue has occurred with myself on my laptop running Windows 10 1803.

Windows 10 cumulative update KB4284835 brings several important fixes and it resolves a bug causing the April 2018 Update to fail with a black screen on a number of systems.

So far so good, quality updates are important for stability and safety as we know without messing much with the OS itself so all good right? let Windows Update do it's thing and we're good right? Well no... after all this is Microsoft.

KB4284835 fails to install in some cases, eventually causing an infinite loop where the update is listed as successfully installed, only to be re-offered again after every boot.

There are several posts on reddit pointing to such an issue, and for the time being, no workaround appears to be available. Manually installing the update does not correct this behavior.

At the same time, there are also multiple reports of the traditional failed install, which in this case happens with error code 0x800f0900.

“There were problems installing some updates, but we'll try again later. If you keep seeing this and want to search the web or contact support for information, this may help: 2018-06 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1803 for x64-based Systems (KB4284835) - Error 0x800f0900,” the error message reads according to posts on Microsoft’s Community forums.

In my case it was the later, it would go through a very long update is installing process only to around 94%~ say it was not possible to update and reverting changes only to repeat it at every single reboot.

This was particularly extremely annoying as it made rebooting the notebook an extremely time consuming issue to go through this entire windows update failed process first, without mentioning the random unexpected reboots windows did on itself to install the update only to fail as well, making it an infinite loop indeed.

Personal rant: Microsoft made available something called "Windows Update Troubleshooter" the program promises the convenience to fix issues of the Windows Update with an automated diagnostic, all you gotta do is run it and your Windows Updates problems should be solved.... awesome right? well no not really... this tool is as useless as useless can be, all it did was let me know "OH YOU HAVE UPDATES TO INSTALL YOUR FIX IS REBOOT" so pretty much all it made was force the boot loop... completely worthless tool... Microsoft ain't even trying come on...

Nonetheless the issue is resolved already, following just a few simple commands on an administrator CMD will allow the update to be successfully installed:

net stop wuauserv
net stop cryptSvc
net stop bits
net stop msiserver
Ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
Ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 Catroot2.old
net start wuauserv
net start cryptSvc
net start bits
net start msiserver

So it makes me wonder why can't Microsoft knowing how bad their Windows Update is and it's awful reputation with issues as this being somewhat common, try coming up with straightforward actual troubleshooting without having to force us users to adventure on google to fix their screw up.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

Hopping into this topic to make a note that r/sysadmin on reddit has a megathreads for Microsoft's Patch Tuesdays. If you're worried about update issues, it's a good place to check for potential issues before allowing them to install.

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

8 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

this tool is as useless as useless can be

Windows in a nutshell:

Image result for windows couldn't identify the problem

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

This is why I stay on W7 untill it completely dies. W10 did nothing but causing huge problems and stress for me.

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

I'm on the latest update (the one which succeeded the KB posted in OP) and the only problem I have is Microsoft trying to install my AMD drivers which are already installed.-_- 

image.png.0a96ad360024bc1a62fb152dc5b14792.png

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

this happens in EVERY update to a lot of people, you were just on of the lucky. This and a spectacular amount of other "issues". I had to roll back 1803 last month on my laptop.

> Be MS

> Fire the team that is supposed to test your shit

> Release an OS in beta state

> Have consumer pay to use your beta product

> Don't take responsibility for when your beta software craps someone hardware

> After 3 years still keep using your customer base as beta testers

> In the meantime gather as much data as possible from your customers

> Sell said data to the highest bidder

> Focus on adding useless adware/bloatware to that beta OS you're still working on

> Force every machine to upgrade to the next beta version

> Let your rabid fan base do the apologising for you when beta upgrade shits the bed

MS in a nutshell

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

Been having a more bizarre issue as of today, it may not be related though. Basically, when the OS boots from login, there is only a black screen, after which a cmd prompt pops up with "C:\WINDOWS\system32>". The desktop doesn't "show up" unless I do one of two things: 

1)Use task manager and create "explorer" task

2)Type explorer.exe on the cmd prompt.

Never had this issue before, only started happening this afternoon.

Tried a lot of solutions for automatically launching explorer.exe on boot, but none worked so far. Any help will be appreciated.  

2 hours ago, TVwazhere said:

Windows in a nutshell:

Image result for windows couldn't identify the problem

Windows troubleshooter is shitty, I remember in Windows 7 where I had a networking problem and it recommended looking the problem in internet up. 

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

41 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

> Be MS

> Fire the team that is supposed to test your shit

> Release an OS in beta state

> Have consumer pay to use your beta product

> Don't take responsibility for when your beta software craps someone hardware

> After 3 years still keep using your customer base as beta testers

> In the meantime gather as much data as possible from your customers

> Sell said data to the highest bidder

> Focus on adding useless adware/bloatware to that beta OS you're still working on

> Force every machine to upgrade to the next beta version

> Let your rabid fan base do the apologising for you when beta upgrade shits the bed

MS in a nutshell

POTD

The article on the boot loop fix for KB4284835 was published on June 19, 2018. I took a look at my own system for KB4284835 and I have it installed successfully 6 days before that article on June 13, 2018. So are people just getting the boot loops now because they upgrade to build 1803 late or is there some other problems that might cause it to boot loop.

Fix date June 19, 2018

https://news.softpedia.com/news/how-to-fix-windows-10-cumulative-update-kb4284835-infinite-reboot-issue-521624.shtml

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

1 hour ago, cesrai said:

Windows troubleshooter is shitty, I remember in Windows 7 where I had a networking problem and it recommended looking the problem in internet up. 

Windows could not find the driver for your networking card. Try going online to download the drivers.

2 hours ago, cesrai said:

MS patch note: "Install this update to fix a bug where Windows Update was not able to install updates"

1 hour ago, NumLock21 said:

The article on the boot loop fix for KB4284835 was published on June 19, 2018. I took a look at my own system for KB4284835 and I have it installed successfully 6 days before that article on June 13, 2018. So are people just getting the boot loops now because they upgrade to build 1803 late or is there some other problems that might cause it to boot loop.

Fix date June 19, 2018

https://news.softpedia.com/news/how-to-fix-windows-10-cumulative-update-kb4284835-infinite-reboot-issue-521624.shtml

Probably due to the rollout being gradual only now the errors are being noticed by a large enough group to make the news.

Had this issue a couple months back, nothing I could find managed to fix it, not even the commands in the OP... In the end I just disabled Windows Update for a month since I knew Fall update 1709 would came out soon and just did a clean install to that version.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

IMO, I always wait for a few month when everything matures and then update. The only reason all my household machines  that use window 10 are pro version is because I can actually set update to be delayed. It fucking less hassle for me to fix down the road if a update fucks the system.

You should also disable option where window deliver updates other than Microsoft after you have setup the computer. 

Backup is key, I was able to easily reinstall and restore my window machine after I got a drive in matters of hours. Also have document/download etc folders on a different drive helps alot.

Magical Pineapples

If u havin Windows problems I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems and an update ain't one. 

14 hours ago, CTR640 said:

This is why I stay on W7 untill it completely dies. W10 did nothing but causing huge problems and stress for me.

Should get an OEM copy of 8.1. I hate the metro menu but it gives you support until 2023 and is actually a little better than 7 for performance and security. 

So glad i got it and still have my old 7 disc and license. 10 is the biggest turd M$ has shat out yet. And i remember Windows Millennium Edition.

Hmm I'm on the latest update and no issues. I mean I never had issues with updates specially something that would prevent me from using my computer. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |