Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

6 hours ago, chaozbandit said:

Ditched the V8 for a turbo four!

Don’t even joke about that goodness me.

2 minutes ago, floofer said:

Don’t even joke about that goodness me.

Would still have tranny issues regardless 

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

5 hours ago, warmmilk said:

interesting... any details?

He did a complete chassis overhaul on this civic. His new 240sx isn't ready yet unfortunately.

CSCS-18-R4+1.jpg?format=1500w

Mostly safety and reliability upgrades from what I recall, and a hecking lot better aero.

His 240:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BtQzECwFSig/

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

So my fearings are now all repaired again as good as I could. Ended up meh, looks better on the bike than off the bike at least:

IMG_20190619_172436.thumb.jpg.75d449b8e1a716378e296b7861dfde92.jpg

IMG_20190619_172431.thumb.jpg.001560cb21437d2bb8d9146a13b89079.jpg

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

On 6/18/2019 at 9:46 AM, RevoltTrain said:

Busa Kart > V8 Kart

*SNIP*

Lol, back in my haberdashery days I was President of my universities Society of Automotive Engineers, which for all practical purposes was the universities racing team, well as a university element we got the first dibs on anything that went to the surplus auctions. At one particular auction there were about a dozen GEM cars with dead batteries, so we snagged one with a diamond plate pickup bed and justified it to the Dean as being convenient for us to travel from our building (yes, we were the only student org on campus that had our own building) to the engineering buildings.

Once we got it back to the shop we pretty much instantly decided it would be way cooler with a motorcycle engine, and being an active Formula SAE team, we had those. So we pulled out an old Triumph TT600 engine and an extra Zexel differential that was sitting around. Then got lucky as fuck that it was a 4x100 hub since we had some old magnesium 13x7 wheels that were 4x100 and a pile of half worn slicks. 

Our school mascot was the Bison, so our SAE teams logo was, of course, a flaming Bison; which we had on our trailer, cars, and door to the shop. Someone dug out a couple extra stickers from who knows where of the flaming bison, so we put those on the doors. 

This thing was fucking hilarious. We bought it with the university plates till on it, so we could drive it anywhere we wanted, and park it anywhere, including sidewalks and the cops didnt bother us. But even though it didnt look like all the other Gem cars on campus, it was somehow still a sleeper, the thing was comically quick. 

I wish I still had the photos of it, but sadly those and most of my photos from my SAE days were lost when I was too dumb (or poor) for backups. :( I miss the old SAE days sometimes. 

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

5 hours ago, chaozbandit said:

He did a complete chassis overhaul on this civic. His new 240sx isn't ready yet unfortunately.

CSCS-18-R4+1.jpg?format=1500w

Mostly safety and reliability upgrades from what I recall, and a hecking lot better aero.

His 240:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BtQzECwFSig/

oh yeah? I have a sweet 240 too... mine in is forza... haha

HP something | 5600X | Corsair  16GB | Zotac ArcticStorm GTX 1080 Ti | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | OCZ Agility 3 480GB | ADATA SP550 960 GB

Corsair AX860i | CaseLabs SM8 | EK Supremacy | UT60 420 | ST30 360 | ST30 240

Gentle Typhoon's and Noctua's and Noiseblocker eLoop's

@bcredeur97

Folding@Home | BOINC

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

Oof too soon. Cries in dane train

Folding@Home | BOINC

I painted my wheels. The picture I took was the first coat(on the right side) versus the primer. I'll include what they first looked like after I sanded them down. 

Spoiler

20190620_185023.thumb.jpg.7836ac8347a6a4f396904ba230b68ce7.jpg

Spoiler

20190620_181127.thumb.jpg.c983ed026bf80c4230514c8a282dca77.jpg

Corsair 4000D RGB

Asus B550 Tuf Gaming II

Asus 7700XT Tuf Gaming

AMD 5600x3d

32gb 3200mhz gskil 

Opinions on my spark plugs? I think the electrodes are orange from a fuel additive. I guess they are fine but a little excessive carbon. 

20190620_135237.jpg

Washed the Celica, dried the brakes with a quick loop around town, parked in the garage so I can commence the detailing session over the next week or so. It's the once every other year full detail which is....

clay bar everything

razor blade clean the front glass

pull each wheel one at a time and clean it inside and out fully

if needed reapply forever black the wheel liners, otherwise just wash them well

tape off all the trim

polish it with the lightest compound that'll pull out the clay bar haze and fine scratches

identify and try to correct water spot damages from the past two years

Meg no 7 'bird shit' glaze the car

bird shit glaze it again

and then decide if I'm doing car pro essence again or the black light glaze I bought, I've heard it interferes with sealants bonding though and the essence didn't when I used it before

seal the top with rejex

throw on a layer of cheap easy to work with wax as a sacrificial layer

then I can go back to doing waterless wipe downs with detail spray and touching up bugs and stuff as needed and re-upping with simple waxes over the rejex sealant as a sacrificial layer.

meg no 7 birdshit glaze is the secret for making single stage paint look amazing. it alone without any compounding will rejuvenate chalky single stage back into a rich color, if you let it soak into the paint a few times the compound then re-glaze it'll look as good as the day it was sprayed.

10 minutes ago, LeapFrogMasterRace said:

Opinions on my spark plugs? I think the electrodes are orange from a fuel additive. I guess they are fine but a little excessive carbon. 

20190620_135237.jpg

Looks like a plug about 1/2 way through it's service life. Got about 20-30K miles on it, right?

14 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Looks like a plug about 1/2 way through it's service life. Got about 20-30K miles on it, right?

Not sure how old it is I just bought the car but they are rated for about 50K miles minimum so yeah about half done I would guess based on looks. 

Customer, whom we've heard nothing from since May, came in today irate that we had slashed his steering wheel and steering wheel cowl with a box cutter and left it in the car even. Boss goes out, clearly someone had tried to steal his car and it wasn't us, and questions why he waited until now to come back angry when supposedly this had happened in May and he's had months to even just call us about it.

Odd question but can anyone run a vin for me here? Don’t feel like paying $40 for a Carfax if someone has some subscription or bought like a ton of Carfax reports at one point in time and didn’t use them something I’d gladly pay you to run one

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

1 hour ago, bcredeur97 said:

Odd question but can anyone run a vin for me here? Don’t feel like paying $40 for a Carfax if someone has some subscription or bought like a ton of Carfax reports at one point in time and didn’t use them something I’d gladly pay you to run one

I got a phone app that does that, I can even just scan the VIN barcode on the car to read it. It gives you so many a month but if you make a free account you can do like unlimited a month. It kind of gets you car history but you have to read through a bunch of stuff. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.iseecars.android.vin&hl=en_US I really like how the app can show you how long it's been for sale and where or what it's sold for before.

6 hours ago, Bitter said:

I got a phone app that does that, I can even just scan the VIN barcode on the car to read it. It gives you so many a month but if you make a free account you can do like unlimited a month. It kind of gets you car history but you have to read through a bunch of stuff. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.iseecars.android.vin&hl=en_US I really like how the app can show you how long it's been for sale and where or what it's sold for before.

Yeah I’d honestly like the full Carfax report tho as it usually seems to have the accident history. Car I’m looking at was supposedly salvaged back in 2005 and I want to make sure that’s truthful 

https://www.vehiclehistory.com/

works pretty well and is free but I guess it doesn’t always show everything. For the car I’m looking at it doesn’t even show it’s salvaged (but for other cars I’ve looked at it has). Unless this seller somehow thinks it salvaged but it isn’t which would be really weird? 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Folding@Home | BOINC

1 hour ago, vinyldash303 said:

Don’t buy the umbrella corperation Mazda 5 homie ;-;

bad ju-ju right there

Not what I’m looking at lol

ill surprise everyone if I buy it I guess idk if I told you about this one

Spoiler

ended up buying a carfax on ebay for $18. Lol

Seller's story lines up exactly. so that's good. Car was totaled 14 years ago, was rebuilt, and has been driven a lot since.. that gives me a lot of confidence in that it was likely repaired correctly and also not like it just happened last year and seller is trying to hide something from me lol

Spoiler

1 hour ago, bcredeur97 said:

ended up buying a carfax on ebay for $18. Lol

Seller's story lines up exactly. so that's good. Car was totaled 14 years ago, was rebuilt, and has been driven a lot since.. that gives me a lot of confidence in that it was likely repaired correctly and also not like it just happened last year and seller is trying to hide something from me lol

$18!!!!
Here you can do a HPI check (effectively the same thing just not super detailed) for £7 ish

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

2 hours ago, xreaperx22 said:

my Dream Car:

Porsche GT2 RS with the Weissach package!

-snip-

that sir is a very nice dream car and def a car I would adore

Spoiler

1 hour ago, LeapFrogMasterRace said:

Meguiars grape flavored drink as you wax. 

LOL. Their M21 sealer is certainly fruit scented. The M7 glaze...well it smells like how it looks.