Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

16 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Well that's shitty, the official Honda recall website doesn't list any open recalls!

https://owners.honda.com/service-maintenance/recalls?id=2HGES15524H534565

If it was done pretty recently it will still show up as open on the VIN assessment that I ran. Thats updated less frequently. VIN inquiry is the most accurate way but can only be ran during "open" hours. That said, it could not show up on that because of the branded title thing. I dunno and won't until I run it tomorrow. 

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

13 minutes ago, vetali said:

If it was done pretty recently it will still show up as open on the VIN assessment that I ran. Thats updated less frequently. VIN inquiry is the most accurate way but can only be ran during "open" hours. That said, it could not show up on that because of the branded title thing. I dunno and won't until I run it tomorrow. 

Well thanks for doing that for me

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

1 hour ago, RevoltTrain said:

Didn't those have the Takata airbags?

Def answer seems to be: recalls yes, warranty claims no. Warranty (even lifetime) is completely voided 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Don’t have any parts yet but starting with Cleaning the filth 

39B6FF5A-6DDA-46B6-AE0B-F917FCCBEB32.jpeg

Spoiler

55 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

Don’t have any parts yet but starting with Cleaning the filth 

39B6FF5A-6DDA-46B6-AE0B-F917FCCBEB32.jpeg

I dont see a K series

Peasant

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

Is that JDM? Cause in Merica the engine goes on the other side.

36 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Is that JDM? Cause in Merica the engine goes on the other side.

Timing belt honda 4 cylinders spin counter clockwise. So the engine sits on the left side. 

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

3 minutes ago, vetali said:

Timing belt honda 4 cylinders spin counter clockwise. So the engine sits on the left side. 

Like them mit Sue bishy, still ain't forgivin them for pearl harbor.

54 minutes ago, iDeFecZx said:

I dont see a K series

Peasant

Yep. Peasant it is. Isn’t supposed to be anything special. Just needs to work and be slightly less boring than one that has an auto lol

6 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Like them mit Sue bishy, still ain't forgivin them for pearl harbor.

Lol

Spoiler

@bcredeur97 I finally ran the VIN inquiry. No open recalls. Just a warranty extension for inflator faults, but because of the title brand I don't think they are valid. Would need approval anyway and I've never seen an inflator fault post recall. 

1 hour ago, vetali said:

@bcredeur97 I finally ran the VIN inquiry. No open recalls. Just a warranty extension for inflator faults, but because of the title brand I don't think they are valid. Would need approval anyway and I've never seen an inflator fault post recall. 

Great to hear.

I took every wheel off and cleaned up the wheel wells. The suspension all looked pretty good. The front LCA bushings did look a bit sorry though. Not sure about that wheel bearing type noise I heard as all the bearings /seemed/ fine in that they didn't really have play. So bit of question mark there, could be the tires. They are mismatched and look kind of dry.

also the rear right wheel had stacks of wheel weights on the inside lol. someone didn't do that right I guess.

also.. I have no air tools. Need to plan now how I'm going to get that crank bolt off as it seems to be quite a struggle for a lot of ppl

Spoiler

13 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

Great to hear.

I took every wheel off and cleaned up the wheel wells. The suspension all looked pretty good. The front LCA bushings did look a bit sorry though. Not sure about that wheel bearing type noise I heard as all the bearings /seemed/ fine in that they didn't really have play. So bit of question mark there, could be the tires. They are mismatched and look kind of dry.

also the rear right wheel had stacks of wheel weights on the inside lol. someone didn't do that right I guess.

also.. I have no air tools. Need to plan now how I'm going to get that crank bolt off as it seems to be quite a struggle for a lot of ppl

99% of the honda wheel bearings I've done have been because of noise and had no play. If the noise changes with road surface change then its a tire noise. 

https://www.amazon.com/CTA-Tools-1069-Socket-Set-17mm/dp/B01LDFUZOG/ref=sr_1_6?keywords=crankshaft+bolt+socket&qid=1561312211&s=gateway&sr=8-6 and I'd just get a decent battery 1/2 inch impact. Never have issues with honda crank bolts using that socket set. I think that gen of engines used 19mm bolts, older ones had 17mm. Not sure though. Doesn't have ABS so its an easy belt to do. 

1 minute ago, vetali said:

99% of the honda wheel bearings I've done have been because of noise and had no play. If the noise changes with road surface change then its a tire noise. 

https://www.amazon.com/CTA-Tools-1069-Socket-Set-17mm/dp/B01LDFUZOG/ref=sr_1_6?keywords=crankshaft+bolt+socket&qid=1561312211&s=gateway&sr=8-6 and I'd just get a decent battery 1/2 inch impact. Never have issues with honda crank bolts using that socket set. I think that gen of engines used 19mm bolts, older ones had 17mm. Not sure though. Doesn't have ABS so its an easy belt to do. 

I have a similar set at work with a thinner shank at the front that double for stuck lug nuts, combined with my 1250K impact it's pretty rare that something doesn't come off. Usually it's Euro lug bolts that have been over torqued that need the 4ft breaker bar and 2ft pipe.

17 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

Still trying to contemplate what I’ve done but I did it. Made it home somehow on the original timing belt too, lol.

964CD0FD-C3EB-4B9B-A7A4-410D8E9D7191.jpeg

604EC816-5FBE-4DC9-B037-80970C123C89.jpeg

2004 LX 117k miles. Was repainted last year. Is a salvage... but was crashed in 2005, was rear ended. The back end seems to be repaired perfectly.

one of the taillights is mismatched tho.

drivability concerns:

timing belt

theres a clunk when letting off the clutch from a dead stop (engine/trans mounts?) 

Wheel bearing howl from the rear passenger side sounds like. 

Squeaky pulley. 

Lug nuts look gross and rusty prob should replace them. Wheels are alloys but could be refinished.

Brakes are scary 

parking brake barely works (I think the rear drums may be kinda seized from the car sitting) 

Cruise control doesn’t work

Other than that needs a thorough cleaning

radio works screen on it does not

prob needs to have a lot of old rubber bits changed in the engine bay

also need to remove old peeling window tint that’s on 3 of the windows lol

Congrats!

PS: Accords are still better. :P 

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS GPU: AMD r680M / RX 6700S RAM: 16GB DDR5 

4 minutes ago, FuzzyYellow said:

Congrats!

PS: Accords are still better. :P

I agree. just too hard to find with a manual lol.

Also the hood release(the handle of which was broken and needed a pair of pliers to pull on) didn't work for me today. luckily the plastic cover was missing up front above the grille, so I just unbolted the hood latch and cut the cable.

so that'll be fun to replace

Spoiler

9 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

Also the hood release(the handle of which was broken and needed a pair of pliers to pull on) didn't work for me today. luckily the plastic cover was missing up front above the grille, so I just unbolted the hood latch and cut the cable.

Every civic of that vintage has a broken hood release. 

fun fact, I was looking at Civics before I got the accord. 

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

11 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

New cables from honda are like 20 bucks and pretty easy to swap out. Lube up the hood release otherwise you'll break the new one right away. 

19 minutes ago, vetali said:

New cables from honda are like 20 bucks and pretty easy to swap out. Lube up the hood release otherwise you'll break the new one right away. 

yeah just ordered a OEM hood cable and release ($45 total not bad). and I will lube it.

I need fluids. what's your recommendation for MTF and power steering fluid for this car? Certain Honda fluid I should use?

Spoiler

12 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

yeah just ordered a OEM hood cable and release ($45 total not bad). and I will lube it.

I need fluids. what's your recommendation for MTF and power steering fluid for this car? Certain Honda fluid I should use?

I've only used honda stuff but I don't own any honda manuals so I can't say. Power steering for sure honda fluid. Its cheap. 

16 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

I use GM Synchromesh Friction modified MTF in my accord. (a bit spendy though)

Oem Honda MTF is good too if you don't have synchro issues.

Use only Honda OEM power steering fluid. they use different stuff than everyone else.

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

19 minutes ago, FuzzyYellow said:

I use GM Synchromesh Friction modified MTF in my accord. (a bit spendy though)

Oem Honda MTF is good too if you don't have synchro issues.

Use only Honda OEM power steering fluid. they use different stuff than everyone else.

I use that ford stuff in my miata but I guess since it seems a lot of ppl use syncromesh in these from my searching, I'll try that for this car.

21 minutes ago, vetali said:

I've only used honda stuff but I don't own any honda manuals so I can't say. Power steering for sure honda fluid. Its cheap. 

def use honda power steering fluid. got it.

Spoiler

15 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

I use that ford stuff in my miata but I guess since it seems a lot of ppl use syncromesh in these from my searching, I'll try that for this car.

def use honda power steering fluid. got it.

Syncromesh is thin like the Honda stuff. I'd say its better than the OEM stuff. OEM before the issues with the v6 accords and s2ks was pretty much 5w-30 motor oil. OEM got revised from that, but I've still heard meh things about it. 

On 6/22/2019 at 3:06 PM, LinusTechTipsFanFromDarlo said:

You that was a beautiful looking car, wait until you see one of these...

Image result for Citroen DS

wouldnt be my first choice but i would be proud to have it in my collection

7 minutes ago, xreaperx22 said:

wouldnt be my first choice but i would be proud to have it in my collection

yeah isn't that car like stupid comfortable? lol

Spoiler

Spoiler