Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

On 6/15/2019 at 1:02 PM, vinyldash303 said:

Isn’t T5 conventional? I don’t know what car you have but I’ve been using T6 in the vehicles I’ve driven and really like it

I'd like to run T6 but they don't make it in a flavor for my car. I'm not hesitant to try different brands of oil, but I don't really think I should run 5w-40 if my engine calls for 10w-30. Any input? 

Reading your other posts it'll quiet the engine? I was just hesitant to run thicker oil, but she runs HOT so. 

Corsair 4000D RGB

Asus B550 Tuf Gaming II

Asus 7700XT Tuf Gaming

AMD 5600x3d

32gb 3200mhz gskil 

2 hours ago, Real_PhillBert said:

So I spent the weekend with my folks for Fathers day; my dad is going to buy a new small pickup to replace his civic pretty soon, so we went and drove a Chevy Colorado, and a Ford Ranger.

I was really surprised how smooth the Chev powertrain was, when parked you really had to look at the tach to tell it was even running; silky smooth and super quiet. Sadly the rest of the Colorado was uninspiring, everything in the interior felt super cheap and the display on the dash was pretty slow to respond.

The Ranger was basically the polar opposite, the interior was great, and the electronics package was impressive. The 2.3L engine was MUCH louder than the 3.6L V6 in the Colorado, but the Ranger was also noticeably quicker and lighter on it's feet. 

As of right now he's kinda leaning to the Ranger but those are a couple grand more expensive, so could really go either way. 

But while we were there, I did see this GT350R sitting in the corner:

Currently priced at $93k, a full $20k over the $73k sticker price. I like Mustangs, but my enthusiasm starts to wain as things get dangerously close to the six figure mark. 

They also had an F150 in almost the exact spec I would want one; 4-Door, short bed, 5.0L, 4x4, Lariat, locking rear end, 36gal fuel tank, center console, and trailer tow. $46k... Someday.

Honestly been looking to possible replace the Impala with a 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton to use as a tow rig (Leaning towards 3/4 ton) and the 7.3 F250s are super super tempting. This one especially caught my eye

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=514343550

Used 2002 Ford F250 4x4 SuperCab Super Duty MIDDLETON, WI 53562 - 514343550 - 1

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

11 minutes ago, RevoltTrain said:

Honestly been looking to possible replace the Impala with a 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton to use as a tow rig (Leaning towards 3/4 ton) and the 7.3 F250s are super super tempting. This one especially caught my eye

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=514343550

Used 2002 Ford F250 4x4 SuperCab Super Duty MIDDLETON, WI 53562 - 514343550 - 1

My dad now has a e1999 f250 with a 7.3. It’s awesome

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS GPU: AMD r680M / RX 6700S RAM: 16GB DDR5 

11 minutes ago, RevoltTrain said:

*SNIP*

Those 7.3s are supposed to be really tough, although not the most powerful thing out there. 

That price seems suspiciously low to me, but I guess I haven't been pricing out 3/4 ton pickups either. 

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

4 minutes ago, FuzzyYellow said:

My dad now has a e1999 f250 with a 7.3. It’s awesome

From the few I have experience with they should be able to do anything I'll ever really need out of a truck, while sounding pretty damn good

2 minutes ago, Real_PhillBert said:

Those 7.3s are supposed to be really tough, although not the most powerful thing out there. 

That price seems suspiciously low to me, but I guess I haven't been pricing out 3/4 ton pickups either. 

It's about average, might be a little lower than normal market price. Just not too many people are selling 7.3 3/4 tons right now

Not too worried about it being insanely powerful or anything, just enough to haul around a car when needed, and haul just about everything I own in an enclosed trailer when I move, after that it'll be more or less a car hauler and farm truck

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

2 hours ago, Real_PhillBert said:

So I spent the weekend with my folks for Fathers day; my dad is going to buy a new small pickup to replace his civic pretty soon, so we went and drove a Chevy Colorado, and a Ford Ranger.

I was really surprised how smooth the Chev powertrain was, when parked you really had to look at the tach to tell it was even running; silky smooth and super quiet. Sadly the rest of the Colorado was uninspiring, everything in the interior felt super cheap and the display on the dash was pretty slow to respond.

The Ranger was basically the polar opposite, the interior was great, and the electronics package was impressive. The 2.3L engine was MUCH louder than the 3.6L V6 in the Colorado, but the Ranger was also noticeably quicker and lighter on it's feet. 

As of right now he's kinda leaning to the Ranger but those are a couple grand more expensive, so could really go either way. 

But while we were there, I did see this GT350R sitting in the corner:

20190615-125812.jpg

Currently priced at $93k, a full $20k over the $73k sticker price. I like Mustangs, but my enthusiasm starts to wain as things get dangerously close to the six figure mark. 

They also had an F150 in almost the exact spec I would want one; 4-Door, short bed, 5.0L, 4x4, Lariat, locking rear end, 36gal fuel tank, center console, and trailer tow. $46k... Someday.

20190615-132203.jpg

why not a tacoma?

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

16 minutes ago, Real_PhillBert said:

That’s actually a bit high for a 7.3 tbh. My dad got his for $6600 out the door. (100% rust free, 282k on it with a replaced engine though. XL, 4x4 and auto trans)

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, FuzzyYellow said:

That’s actually a bit high for a 7.3 tbh. My dad got his for $6600 out the door. (100% rust free, 282k on it with a replaced engine though. XL, 4x4 and auto trans)

For under 100K original miles, it's not too bad whatsoever if I'm being honest. 

9 minutes ago, terrytek said:

why not a tacoma?

Because the Taco is much more expensive and really only better than the others at offering it in Flat Dark Earth. 

4 minutes ago, FuzzyYellow said:

282k miles vs 100k miles. 

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

Because the Taco is much more expensive and really only better than the others at offering it in Flat Dark Earth. 

Overall they tend to hover between 5-15K depending on year, mileage, and options more often than not. Rust being another big price changer around these parts

4 minutes ago, Real_PhillBert said:

I get it, but they really top out at about 10k here a thousand or two more if it’s a southern truck.

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

1 minute ago, FuzzyYellow said:

I get it, but they really top out at about 10k here a thousand or two more if it’s a southern truck.

Shit, I remember 10-15 years ago I paid $16k for a 2000 F250 with the 6.8L V10, although only 32k miles. 

Shit, I remember 10-15 years ago I paid $16k for a 2000 F250 with the 6.8L V10, although only 32k miles. 

Been kinda considering the V10 trucks as well, but I honestly don't know much about them, other than they seem to pass everything other than a gas station

Y'all are crazy. The downtown core is completely gridlocked and public transit has shut down.

image.thumb.png.69799ed9af531c4e6f2ea8fed7dc9960.png

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

Just now, RevoltTrain said:

Been kinda considering the V10 trucks as well, but I honestly don't know much about them, other than they seem to pass everything other than a gas station

Ours doesnt get used much, but has not had any issues. 

It gets a solid 14mpg no matter what though. 55MPH on a back highway, 14mpg; towing a 10k lb skidsteer at 70, 14 mpg. Lol. 

1 minute ago, Real_PhillBert said:

Ours doesnt get used much, but has not had any issues. 

It gets a solid 14mpg no matter what though. 55MPH on a back highway, 14mpg; towing a 10k lb skidsteer at 70, 14 mpg. Lol. 

What's maintenance like on those motors typically? Do they burn oil or anything? And what kinda RPM do they tend to sit at with a load on the highway?

22 minutes ago, RevoltTrain said:

What's maintenance like on those motors typically? Do they burn oil or anything? And what kinda RPM do they tend to sit at with a load on the highway?

The only major issue with these motors that I know about is the tendency of the spark plugs to seize into the plug holes. Which is a known problem. 

We dont have any oil burn but we're probably not the best people to ask since we've put about 10k miles on it in the last 15 years. 

As far as RPM goes, our is the 5 speed high-low transmission so it'll go just about anywhere we want in the rev range. If I'm pulling something really heavy I usually stay out of 5 high, but that's about it. 

2 hours ago, veldora said:

I'd like to run T6 but they don't make it in a flavor for my car. I'm not hesitant to try different brands of oil, but I don't really think I should run 5w-40 if my engine calls for 10w-30. Any input? 

Reading your other posts it'll quiet the engine? I was just hesitant to run thicker oil, but she runs HOT so. 

just run a synthetic for what your car is specced for... not much else you can do. If your engine blows up next week your oil was probably not a major contributing factor. it's more important to run a synthetic oil over a conventional than what oil you choose.. that alone is the biggest upgrade as they have a lot more additives and take higher temps a lot better

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

41 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

just run a synthetic for what your car is specced for... not much else you can do. If your engine blows up next week your oil was probably not a major contributing factor. it's more important to run a synthetic oil over a conventional than what oil you choose.. that alone is the biggest upgrade as they have a lot more additives and take higher temps a lot better

Yeah I've been running synthetic oil for about three thousand miles now. She's almost at 102k miles. She just gets really hot imo, I've flushed almost all the liquids. Conventional oil didn't last for very long in my eyes, getting black within 2k miles. I'm just looking for better longevity and protection. 

Corsair 4000D RGB

Asus B550 Tuf Gaming II

Asus 7700XT Tuf Gaming

AMD 5600x3d

32gb 3200mhz gskil 

2 minutes ago, veldora said:

Yeah I've been running synthetic oil for about three thousand miles now. She's almost at 102k miles. She just gets really hot imo, I've flushed almost all the liquids. Conventional oil didn't last for very long in my eyes, getting black within 2k miles. I'm just looking for better longevity and protection. 

you had just mentioned you were running shell rotella T5 which is a conventional iirc

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

i probably said already but i crushed my side panel of my bike a while back, like 50 pieces. Just got to fixing it today but the tape let go from the sun so the resin managed to cure before i even got to that part.

Fixed most of the other damage but il have to get back to that panel tomorrow. They are going to end up AWFUL though because im missing several pieces but a new set is like €900 and i dont have that ?

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

1 hour ago, bcredeur97 said:

you had just mentioned you were running shell rotella T5 which is a conventional iirc

It's a synthetic blend, and I was looking into running some heavy duty oil. I didn't know it was a blend, I'm running valvoline synthetic oil. I mentioned conventional doesn't last long, but didn't specify what oil I was using - but if I was already running rotella I wouldn't have asked questions about it. 

Corsair 4000D RGB

Asus B550 Tuf Gaming II

Asus 7700XT Tuf Gaming

AMD 5600x3d

32gb 3200mhz gskil 

I think you're trying to find a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. Without actually analyzing the oil just "it looks dark" means nothing. Unless the engine is overheating it's not "running hot" either. If it's overheating you need to address that rather than worry about "dark" oil. I do 5k drains in both my cars. It comes out dark, it smells like old oil, but there's not anything wrong with it except it's been used for 5k, I could likely do 7 or 8k miles instead but that would take me past 12 months and I prefer to have fresh oil for summer driving in the Celica.

You could do like 4 500 mile oil changes to rinse the engine out really good to clear up the oil and see if it still gets dark fast....or you can send a sample with a few thousand miles on it to Blackstone and they can actually tell you with hard numbers what's happening to your oil and engine so you're not freaking out about dark oil. Anyway, your coolant is probably in worse shape than the oil.

2 hours ago, vinyldash303 said:

What car do you have

My DD Mazda Protege. 102k miles 

Corsair 4000D RGB

Asus B550 Tuf Gaming II

Asus 7700XT Tuf Gaming

AMD 5600x3d

32gb 3200mhz gskil 

2 minutes ago, veldora said:

My DD Mazda Protege. 102k miles 

if i may ask what year?

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D