FCC orders net neutrality repeal

Okjoek
Message added by SansVarnic

We all know how Political Net Neutrality can be ... that said;

Please be mindful to keep all comments and replies civil and on topic lest it be removed an that individual receive a warning.

Source:

https://www.teletrader.com/fcc-orders-net-neutrality-repeal/news/details/42288522?internal=1

Quotes from article:

"The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) ruled in favor of repealing net neutrality on Thursday, following the vote on December 14 to roll back the rules which prevent providers from blocking or slowing down internet content, or offer "fast lanes" to websites in exchange for money."

"The FCC, led by Chair Ajit Pai published the "Restoring Internet Freedom Order" in the Federal Register, with the effective date set for April 23."

My opinion:

Me? I'm just making sure I download and backed up all of my "legally acquired" media.

Press F to pay respects. :(

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

I’m in favor of this. The repeal is not perfect, there needs to be new regulations in place. But if I had to pick between the current regulations and none of them, I’m going for the repeal.

The internet grew up perfectly fine without net neutrality. There is enough competition and there exists enough anti-collusion and monopoly laws to naturally mitigate the threat a la carte internet solution. At least in theory. 

1 minute ago, Misanthrope said:

I'd be nice if a bunch of pro-net neutrality giants from the US filed to permanently leave the US as their base of operations on that same day.

Please elaborate. 

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 8700k | be quiet! Dark Rock 4 | Fatal1ty Z370 Gaming-ITX/ac | 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ | 256 GB Intel® SSD 600p Series | ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 1080 Ti Mini | Fractal Design Node 304 | Cooler Master V750 | Asus MG279Q | Asus VC279 | Logitech G710+ | Corsair M65 Pro RGB

Just now, Unimaginative Name said:

The internet grew up perfectly fine without net neutrality. There is enough competition there exist enough anti-collusion and monopoly laws to naturally mitigate the threat a la carte internet solution. At least in theory. 

not here in CA. I got 2 options for carriers over 50mbs and I gain 1 more if I could live with 25.

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

I don't really see what the fuss is about tbh, people have over hyped the fallout of this but it could be that I simply have become jaded to hype ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Either way I suspect nothing will come from this other than terrible arguments by dumb people, the FCC doing something cringey and retarded again, and the left attempting to piggyback on this.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

1 minute ago, GDRRiley said:

not here in CA. I got 2 options for carriers over 50mbs and I gain 1 more if I could live with 25.

I have 1 option.......and it isn't 50mbs..........(also it's not as if I live in the woods or something the city has over 100,000 people)

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

Just now, GDRRiley said:

Three providers in a market where LITERALLY EVERYBODY is a customer provides plenty of competition. In both of the places where I live, there are 2-4 choices, and the competition is heavy, there is constant price undercutting and it forces large-scale technology improvements across the board. The possible exception would be people who live in BFE and have the option of 10/5 (trust me, it happens). 

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 8700k | be quiet! Dark Rock 4 | Fatal1ty Z370 Gaming-ITX/ac | 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ | 256 GB Intel® SSD 600p Series | ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 1080 Ti Mini | Fractal Design Node 304 | Cooler Master V750 | Asus MG279Q | Asus VC279 | Logitech G710+ | Corsair M65 Pro RGB

4 minutes ago, Unimaginative Name said:

The internet grew up perfectly fine without net neutrality. There is enough competition and there exists enough anti-collusion and monopoly laws to naturally mitigate the threat a la carte internet solution. At least in theory. 

Please elaborate. 

I have 2 choices. 100/10 Comcast or dsl that claims 24/25 but doesn't deliver half that. The 10 Mbps makes me only able to live stream 720p at best. My uploads take forever. Comcast has pair local officials to deny Verizon to come into my area...

The internet grew up perfectly fine without net neutrality.

Wasn't the whole thing adopted because of Netflix being throttled in the first place? Or does that fall under the definition of "fine"?

Just now, Unimaginative Name said:

Three providers in a market where LITERALLY EVERYBODY is a customer provides plenty of competition. In both of the places where I live, there are 2-4 choices, and the competition is heavy, there is constant price undercutting and it forces large-scale technology improvements across the board. The possible exception would be people who live in BFE and have the option of 10/5 (trust me, it happens). 

it isn't. I shouldn't be pay 60$ a month for 100/100 fiber or 80$ for gig. for something that costs the ISP less the 10$ (for 100) to buy from upstream. 

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

3 minutes ago, Unimaginative Name said:

Tell that to rural America or the numerous places where new ISPs are pretty much stopped dead from sprouting up due to some bullcrap law a legacy ISP bribed and bought politicians to shove through.

Edit:

In large cities, sure there can be decent competition, but move away from those places and it drops to 1 ISP, usually via DSL or satellite.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

That's flawed logic: It grew up fine without net neutrality because it grew up without ISP monopolies. ISPs are now regional monopolies and quickly consolidating so now that they can then why wouldn't they throttle competition?

So basically we already know for a fact throttle happened to Netflix for no good reason other than ISPs having competing products (cable) and wanting to unfairly disadvantage Netflix.

So you're wrong on multiple levels, objectively.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Just now, Snaeb said:

I have 2 choices. 100/10 Comcast or dsl that claims 24/25 but doesn't deliver half that. The 10 Mbps makes me only able to live stream 720p at best. My uploads take forever. Comcast has pair local officials to deny Verizon to come into my area...

I guess I'm spoiled. I have the option of Verizon FIOS, Xfinity, and a couple of satellite providers. That's in MD. I've explored it less in Ohio, but I know Spectrum just came out with their 200 speeds stuff and there's also Hotwire and Buckeye.

Spoiler

9 minutes ago, Unimaginative Name said:

It's grown to consolidate providers, section off areas of the market to protect mutual interests, and lead to throttling of traffic. What part of any of that is "fine?"

11 minutes ago, GDRRiley said:

We lived in CA for a bit... Unfortunately lived a few miles north of Verizon FiOS, and only had access to Cox Communication... And they are worse than.. well.. anything I've had in the past... Super expensive, low speeds, and consistently unreliable. Net neutrality didn't affect today at all...

3 minutes ago, divito said:

It's grown to consolidate providers, section off areas of the market to protect mutual interests, and lead to throttling of traffic. What part of any of that is "fine?"

Welcome to Bell Media, How may we steal your money today?

1 minute ago, Unimaginative Name said:

I guess I'm spoiled. I have the option of Verizon FIOS, Xfinity, and a couple of satellite providers. That's in MD. I've explored it less in Ohio, but I know Spectrum just came out with their 200 speeds stuff and there's also Hotwire and Buckeye.

The place I currently stay in is an appartment where I get Verizon Fios. I actually used to live "in the woods" where we only had one ISP called Frontier which gave us DSL. We only got 5mbps there. I never realized just how much faster Gigabit Ethernet is because I had never used it before.

Sadly as far as internet is concerned this is only temporary accommodation for us and we will be moving again shortly.

12 minutes ago, Unimaginative Name said:

Wow 4 choices, everyone in my country has a choice of a minimum of 15 and there are a lot more than that. We are a tiny nation of 4.7 million so why do you have less options than I have?

If I limit that list to the truly large ISPs then every person has access to 10.

4 minutes ago, Okjoek said:

The place I currently stay in is an appartment where I get Verizon Fios. I actually used to live "in the woods" where we only had one ISP called Frontier which gave us DSL. We only got 5mbps there. I never realized just how much faster Gigabit Ethernet is because I had never used it before.

Sadly as far as internet is concerned this is only temporary accommodation for us and we will be moving again shortly.

We currently have Verizon FiOS. And frankly, that's all I need.. had them once, too an 8 year break after moving (because they weren't available) and finally moved again, and choose a place that had Verizon. My only requirement for location...

I feel bad about the DSL. We have a company contacted with the state to provide internet in the farm lands where there isn't cable. Seriously $20 a month for unlimited around 15mbps via microwave towers.

Took me nearly a day to download Fallout 4.

1 minute ago, Ryujin2003 said:

We currently have Verizon FiOS. And frankly, that's all I need.. had them once, too an 8 year break after moving (because they weren't available) and finally moved again, and choose a place that had Verizon. My only requirement for location...

I feel bad about the DSL. We have a company contacted with the state to provide internet in the farm lands where there isn't cable. Seriously $20 a month for unlimited around 15mbps via microwave towers.

Too me nearly a day to download Fallout 4.

I remember always setting games to download before going to bed or school.

1 minute ago, Okjoek said:

I remember always setting games to download before going to bed or school.

And I used to think Roadrunner dial up was slow AF.