Intel Core i9-7980XE Hits 845W at 4.9GHz

HKZeroFive

Intel might have finally a created a valid reason to buy a 1000+W power supply with the introduction of their flagship X299 processor, the eighteen-core i9-7980XE. It's been no secret that the entire Skylake-X lineup has gained the rather unsavoury reputation of being power-hungry once you start to overclock but this takes the cake.

In LegitReview's test run of the i9-7980XE, they managed to get the chip at 4.9GHz after failing to achieve 5GHz. While the chip demonstrated an extraordinary score in Cinebench R15, it also displayed extraordinary power consumption figures at the same time, hitting an absurd 845W during the run. However, with the Corsair H105, the chip managed to stay at a rather cool 63C during benchmarking. Impressive.

veracrypt-overclock-645x319.jpg

When it comes to overclocking the Intel Core i9-7980XE we were delighted to find that the ASUS X299 Deluxe motherboard made that task easy. We managed to get into Windows 10 at 5.0GHz with just one change in the UEFI. All we did was set the UEFI to sync all cores and set the multiplier to 50x! The board automatically changed the core voltage from 1.35V to 1.40V by doing this.

Sadly, we couldn’t get 5GHz on a closed loop liquid cooler 100 percent stable, so we backed it down to 4.9GHz and started running some benchmarks.

The other thing we noticed with overclocking is that the power consumption was ridiculous. We went from 92 Watts and idle and 268 Watts while running Cinebench in stock form to idling at 169 Watts and hitting 845 Watts in Cinebench! The Intel Core i9-7980XE is rated at 165 Watts, but you can clearly see that overclocking takes it well beyond this. AIDA64 showed CPU temps to be reaching 63C during out benchmarking, which was also up significantly from the 41C we noted at stock clocks.

overclocked-7980xe-power-645x448.jpg

I think I'll give Intel credit where it's due. For a eighteen-core chip, managing to hit 4.9GHz stable is no small feat. The power consumption is obviously a bit excessive but I guess that's the trade off. Keep in mind that this wasn't achieved with LN2 or any of that stuff that hardcore/competitive overclockers use... just a 240mm closed water loop. Thought this was something worth sharing.

http://www.legitreviews.com/intel-core-i9-7980xe-18-core-processor-review_197903/10

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

I think I heard that PSU crying blood somewhere

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K 8C/16T @ 5.2GHz All Cores -- CPU Cooler: EK AIO 360 D-RGB 

Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX Z490-F Gaming -- RAM: G-Skill Trident Z 32GB (16x2) DDR4-3000 

SSD#1: Samsung PM981 256GB -- HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB -- GPU: ASUS TUF GAMING RTX 3080 10GB OC MSI GTX 1070 Duke

PSU: FSP Hydro G Pro 850W -- Case: Corsair 275R Airflow Black

Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG27AQ 1440p 165Hz -- Keyboard: Ducky Shine 7 Cherry MX Brown -- Mouse: Logitech G304 K/DA Limited Edition

Phone: iPhone 12 Pro Max 256GB

Headphones: Sony WH-1000XM4 / Apple AirPods 2

Laptop: MacBook Air 2020 M1 8-core CPU / 7-core GPU | 8GB RAM | 256GB SSD

TV: LG B9 OLED TV | Sony HT-X9000F Soundbar

And I thought Vega was bad....

Please quote our replys so we get a notification and can reply easily. Never cheap out on a PSU, or I will come to watch the fireworks. 

PSU Tier List

My specs

Spoiler

PC:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K @4.8GHz
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S 
Motherboard:  ASUS Maximus VIII Hero 
GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme 1070 @ 2114Mhz
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB
Case: Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 
Power Supply: EVGA 750W G2

Peripherals 

Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Browns
Mouse: Logitech G502 
Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Revolver 

Monitor: U2713M @ 75Hz

Not to mention a motherboard has to handle the crazy amount of power going to the chip.

845W with a H105 is really unlikely.

Also, how the hell did they keep the VRM cool? It probably kicked out 100W of heat on its own, unless you have basically jets blowing at the VRM coolers the things would overheat and throttle...

edit: also based on these results: https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/3066-intel-i9-7980xe-7960x-thermals-power-review

It's complete BS and the H105 is similar to a 360mm AIO and they are capable of cooling cpu's with up to a 500W power draw, anything higher would cause the liquid temp to go out of spec (above 60°C) and basically ruin the cooler really quickly.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

9 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

845W with a H105 is really unlikely.

Also, how the hell did they keep the VRM cool? It probably kicked out 100W of heat on its own, unless you have basically jets blowing at the VRM coolers the things would overheat and throttle...

yah

I just wanna know if we're gonna have this problem again 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

1 minute ago, Syntaxvgm said:

yah

With these kinds of overclocks, likely. The VRM's itself are likely capable of handling a decent OC but it's cooling them that's mainly the issue.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

9 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

With these kinds of overclocks, likely. The VRM's itself are likely capable of handling a decent OC but it's cooling them that's mainly the issue.

oh I don't gvie a shit about cooling it, I'll strap a honda civic radiator to the fucker if I have to, and for PSUs I'd love an excuse to see multi-psu systems again. I just want the motherboard to be able to handle it. 

Extreme cooling is a lot of fun, and I'd love to see a resurgence of it as a necessity if you want to make a top end enthusiast build. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

there have been valid reasons to get 1kw PSUs for ages m8... 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

7 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

I want this trend to continue. I want see more multi psu builds again. I want to need multiple PSUs. I want to have to start lecturing people about the home's electrical situation and how to not start a fire. I want to help people shop for window air conditioners when their home has central air because their PC is heats their room too much for the central air to keep up with it. 

muh specs 

All parts black

Just now, Syntaxvgm said:

I want this trend to continue. I want see more multi psu builds again. I want to need multiple PSUs. I want to have to start lecturing people about the home's electrical situation and how to not start a fire. 

there are 2WK PSUs, i cant say you would need more then that for any single CPU + dual GPU setup which is what we are moveing towards

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

5 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

Other than for those mining, most rigs don't require 1000W+ power supplies...

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

Just now, HKZeroFive said:

Other than for those mining, most rigs don't require 1000W+ power supplies...

that dosent mean there are those that dont, get a 295x2, or dualm Furys or dual 980TIs with the highest cc I7 from the time and you will start to get there. 90% of consumer builds dont, but the enthusiast systmes can get there easely

Builds:

Spoiler

Just now, Bananasplit_00 said:

that dosent mean there are those that dont, get a 295x2, or dualm Furys or dual 980TIs with the highest cc I7 from the time and you will start to get there. 90% of consumer builds dont, but the enthusiast systmes can get there easely

None of those systems will require a 1000W power supply. Look up power consumption benchmarks.

index.php?ct=articles&action=file&id=290

Spoiler

Just now, HKZeroFive said:

None of those systems will require a 1000W power supply. Look up power consumption benchmarks.

heard of overclocking before?

Builds:

Spoiler

5 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

heard of overclocking before?

It still doesn't consume 1000W of power. Show me benchmarks that say otherwise.

Spoiler

20 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

there are 2WK PSUs, i cant say you would need more then that for any single CPU + dual GPU setup which is what we are moveing towards

We are moving towards generic multi gpu not sli xfire. FOr a while, I expect that 3 and 4 way will contiue to die, but eventually come back, dependent on how well games support multi gpu in like dx12 and stuff. I would LOVE crazy 4 gpu setups to actually have gains, even if not near perfect scaling. Hell, it's possible, not saying it will happen, but since AMD is doing mGPU or whatever and NVIDIA is no longer pushing SLI as much, that when games start supporting multi gpu outside of xfire and sli we could see more than 4. Imagine that, people trying to make crazy case solutions and crazy PSU setups because they have money to waste. I might browse build logs again if that were the case. 

It'd be like mining but not budget oriented and slapping 8 gpus in a milk crate with zip ties or something.

Imagine it- 6 or more gpus, some of them mixed, enough radiators to cool an electric stove top, all for 10 extra fps in Assassins Creed: Dead Horse.  

Idk I fantasize. 

muh specs 

All parts black

20 minutes ago, HKZeroFive said:

index.php?ct=articles&action=file&id=290

one 295x2 uses over 500 watts alone, with a normal overclock on an 8350, a 295x2 without overclocking, you're looking at like 850 watt territory right there not adding in other components. That's a margin of 150 watts for everything in the system but the GPU and CPU in a world where they don't need a 1kw psu. 

I've seen plenty of builds with 2 of those for quad crossfire because stupid is as budget allows, that's over 1000 watts right there with no oc, and then you got the CPU. I'm pretty sure I"ve seen a few overclocked 8350 and dual 295x2 or quad 290xs in amd fanboy builds. Any quad gpu build for that matter. 

Two_Radeon_R9_295X2.jpg

so, with respect, you're wrong. 

muh specs 

All parts black

7 minutes ago, HKZeroFive said:

It still doesn't require 1000W of power. Show me benchmarks that say otherwise.

aHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmJlc3RvZm1pY3JvLmNvbS9DLzEvNTgzNjMzL29yaWdpbmFsLzQxLTY5NTBYLVBvd2VyLUNvbnN1bXB0aW9uLVRvcnR1cmUucG5n

240W for one CPU

275W for a 980TI limited by NVIDIA driver, 250W board power + maxed power limit

take two of them and you have a nice 790W

now add 150W for your systems drives and a waterloop and you get a nice 940W figure, 1KW PSU is a nice margin

*edit*

oh and a Vega 64 can pull 500W alone easy, two of them = 1000W alone

Builds:

Spoiler

34 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

yah

We are. There was talk of potentially X299 v2 boards, but the motherboard manufactures just put out beefier boards for the top-SKU chips. (The VRM spec was just too low, I think, in the first pass. Work fine for a 4c/8t though.)

Other thing is the Power envelope at Stock is roughly the same. That's why we're seeing upwards of 30-40% increase for 80% more cores in some tests, compared to the 7900X. And why the 16c can perform better than the 18c in certain circumstances. 

If you delid these, they'll do 5 Ghz without too much issue. They're Skylake cores on a 14nm+ process, they'll do it. It's just a question if you want to burn that much power.

13 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

one 295x2 uses over 500 watts alone, I've seen plenty of build with 2 for quad crossfire because stupid is as budget allows, that's 100 watts right there with no oc, and then you got the CPU. I'm pretty sure I"ve seen a few overclocked 8350 and dual 295x2 or quad 290xs in amd fanboy builds. 

so, with respect, you're wrong. 

25 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

I'll concede if he said two R9 295X2s, which amounts to four GPUs. The discussion was about one. Meaning that you can run it on a good 650W unit if you ever needed to.

Besides, I'm not talking about the crazy people who have four R9 290Xs in their PC. That's a different discussion altogether.

10 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

240W for one CPU

275W for a 980TI limited by NVIDIA driver, 250W board power + maxed power limit

take two of them and you have a nice 790W

now add 150W for your systems drives and a waterloop and you get a nice 940W figure, 1KW PSU is a nice margin

Hard drives and a custom loop isn't going to require 150W of power. You'd be fine with running that system on a 850W unit... they're not going to be running torture tests 24/7.

Spoiler