Apple Updates its Mac lineup: External GPU support, Kaby lake and a new iMac Pro

Lots of updates, mostly spec bumps. New iMac Pro. External GPU support through TB3. VR support through HTC Vive

iMac Pro

Capture.JPG.7890a5d68a208f936937f502e7447fff.JPG

• Up to 18 core Xeon
  • 128GB ECC RAM
  • Radeon Vega - No confirmation of VR support but it'd be strange if it didn't
  • 5K display
  • 4x Thunderbolt 3
  • Up to 4TB SSD
  • 5K display, 10 bit panel
  • Re-designed dual centrifugal fan thermal system
  • New black peripherals
  • External GPU support
  • Starting at $4999
  • Pictures
Spoiler

screen_shot_2017-06-05_at_10.54.05_am_575px.pngscreen_shot_2017-06-05_at_10.54.39_am_575px.pngscreen_shot_2017-06-05_at_10.54.59_am_575px.pngscreen_shot_2017-06-05_at_10.58.20_am_575px.png

iMac 27

• VR support - HTC Vive support confirmed
  • Up to Radeon Pro 580
  • Up to 64GB RAM
  • Intel Kabylake
  • Up to 5K display, 10 bit panel
  • Dual Thunderbolt 3
  • External GPU support
  • See 21" section for pictures
  • Starting at $1799 for 5K

iMac 21

• Up to Radeon Pro 560
  • Intel Iris 640 as standard
  • Up to 32GB RAM
  • Intel Kabylake
  • Up to 4K display
  • Dual Thunderbolt 3
  • External GPU support
  • Starting at $1099 and $1299 for 4K
  • Pictures
Spoiler

screen_shot_2017-06-05_at_10.41.59_am_575px.pngscreen_shot_2017-06-05_at_10.42.50_am_575px.pngscreen_shot_2017-06-05_at_10.43.10_am_575px.pngscreen_shot_2017-06-05_at_10.44.14_am_575px.pngscreen_shot_2017-06-05_at_10.44.41_am_575px.pngscreen_shot_2017-06-05_at_10.44.58_am_575px.pngscreen_shot_2017-06-05_at_10.51.19_am_575px.png

Portable Mac spec bumps

• Kabylake for most models
  • Macbook Air gets a Mhz bump
  • Pictures
Spoiler

screen_shot_2017-06-05_at_10.51.44_am_575px.png

New OS: MacOS High Sierra

• Faster Javascript in Safari
  • More editing tools in Photos - Edits carry over to Photoshop (Presumably that means it uses Adobe compatible layers)
  • Metal2 API for Graphics - 10X draw call improvement over Metal
  • External GPU support through thunderbolt 3 - Dev kit features TB3 + RX 580
  • HEVC/H.265 decode and encode support
  • AFS file system from iOS - Instant file duplication
  • Pictures
Spoiler

screen_shot_2017-06-05_at_10.29.34_am_575px.pngscreen_shot_2017-06-05_at_10.31.29_am_575px.pngscreen_shot_2017-06-05_at_10.34.23_am_575px.pngscreen_shot_2017-06-05_at_10.34.40_am_575px.pngscreen_shot_2017-06-05_at_10.35.23_am_575px.pngscreen_shot_2017-06-05_at_10.39.24_am_575px.pngscreen_shot_2017-06-05_at_10.40.42_am_575px.png

Done editing. Please @ mention me if I missed anything.

Sources: http://www.anandtech.com/show/11515/the-apple-wwdc-2017-live-blog

https://www.apple.com/apple-events/june-2017/

Edited by randomhkkid

Data Scientist - MSc in Advanced CS, B.Eng in Computer Engineering

It's a little more powerful than my iMac G4. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

They also showed off Radeon Pro graphics in the standard iMac line. (555,560,570,575,580) (Not Rx)

@randomhkkid It is 2 TB3 on iMac and 4 TB3 on iMac Pro

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

Yet no touchscreen option. Still going with the Surface Studio over this overhyped crap.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

1 minute ago, terrytek said:

Yet no touchscreen option. Still going with the Surface Studio over this overhyped crap.

1 minute ago, terrytek said:

The studio? Which doesn't use ECC memory? Which doesn't have USB-C ports? Which uses a weak GPU that is a joke for content creation? That Studio?

You realize that Professionals who are actually serious about drawing will not be buying an all in one? That Wacom still reigns supreme for dedicated drawing surfaces? The Studio is nice, don't get me wrong, but pros still blow several grand to get a dedicated tablet to draw on for a good reason. 

Honestly, calling the iMac Pro overpriced crap because it doesn't have a useless for desktop touchscreen? Really? You actually touch your desktop monitors? Your arms don't get fatigue from doing that?

Do you and people like you just like making shitposts about Apple over nothing?

'14 rMBP

R3 13 w/AGA

Just now, ResidentRad said:

The studio? Which doesn't use ECC memory? Which doesn't have USB-C ports? Which uses a weak GPU that is a joke for content creation? That Studio 

yes that studio. i can always get usb type a to type c, i don't really care about usb type c. i still think the new imac is a joke.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Just now, terrytek said:

yes that studio. i can always get usb type a to type c, i don't really care about usb type c. i still think the new imac is a joke.

Okay understood, you're just gonna hate the Apple product no matter what.

You should care. The Studio has no USB-C and NO THUNDERBOLT 3. Its a dead weight for future upgrades or expandability. 

The iMac Pro is actually using WORKSTATION hardware, not consumer nonsense. I don't know how you can say the iMac Pro is overpriced. Start pricing out 5K monitors and SSDs and Vega cards and ECC memory and  10Gb NICs and everything else a pro would actually give a shit to use. I swear, you fanboys are something else

'14 rMBP

R3 13 w/AGA

10 minutes ago, ResidentRad said:

The studio? Which doesn't use ECC memory?

irrelevant for the audience, no one cares, especially at the pro market  

10 minutes ago, ResidentRad said:

weak GPU that is a joke for content creation?

980m is capable enough for GPU accelerated task, the main task of the surface pro, it's better than overheating. 

Should be interesting to see how they decide to price this...  Best guesses in USD? (Mine are below)

iMac Pro: >$3500

iMac 27: >$2500

iMac 21: >$2000

About the best thing that I can see is it appears the Pro will be one of the first systems released to the public with Vega...

Just now, nerdslayer1 said:

irrelevant for the audience

no one cares, especially at the pro market  

980m is capable enough for GPU accelerated task, the main task of the surface pro, it's better than overheating. 

Pros don't care about error correcting memory? Wat? Lol. Content creators and editors actually od care about having that kind of memory. FFS thats what the pro market needs. 

980m? Compared to a 11 teraflop single precision workstation card? 

Holy shit, how deep are you guys going to reach to shit on the iMac Pro and defend the poor value in the Studio? 

'14 rMBP

R3 13 w/AGA

1 hour ago, WMGroomAK said:

Should be interesting to see how they decide to price this...  Best guesses in USD? (Mine are below)

iMac Pro: >$3500

iMac 27: >$2500

iMac 21: >$2000

About the best thing that I can see is it appears the Pro will be one of the first systems released to the public with Vega...

Imac pro base model is 5000$

The 4TB SSD option is good to hear. I use my iMac for capturing gameplay from my gaming rig and streaming it so that is a big help for me personally. And the fact that they also added an upgraded SDXC card slot will be good for me because I use my iMac as an editing machine for videos.

Red Red Wine

i5 6500 - GTX 1050 2GB DDR5 - 8GB 2666 DDR4 - EVGA 400W - Corsair Spec Aplha - 1TB WD Blue

Pros don't care about error correcting memory? Wat? Lol. Content creators and editors actually od care about having that kind of memory. FFS thats what the pro market needs. 

BS, most "pros" don't use ECC memory, they are highly specialized, most tasks can't take advantage of it. 

1 minute ago, ResidentRad said:

980m? Compared to a 11 teraflop single precision workstation card? 

good enough for acceleration

Holy shit, how deep are you guys going to reach to shit on the iMac Pro and defend the poor value in the Studio? 

couldn't care less about the studio, i was thinking more of the concept, the surface studio is a first gen product, keep that in mind. this iMac will overheat causing serious issues for the "pros" who buy them. 

2 minutes ago, WMGroomAK said:

Yep, Just updated after I posted. :P  Good to see that Apple doesn't disappoint in their pricing...

Remember, that just gets you an 8-core.

You can sell your arm, leg, kids and house for the 18-core. Also, that's one hell of an underclock on the Vega GPU in here if it only does 22 TFLOPs HP when the stock version AMD has themselves does 25 TFLOPs.

Ye ole' train

Someone show me a more powerful all-in-one. That is one hell of a device. Now to see if it thermal throttles.

Main Gaming PC - i9 10850k @ 5GHz - EVGA XC Ultra 2080ti with Heatkiller 4 - Asrock Z490 Taichi - Corsair H115i - 32GB GSkill Ripjaws V 3600 CL16 OC'd to 3733 - HX850i - Samsung NVME 256GB SSD - Samsung 3.2TB PCIe 8x Enterprise NVMe - Toshiba 3TB 7200RPM HD - Lian Li Air

Proxmox Server - i7 8700k @ 4.5Ghz - 32GB EVGA 3000 CL15 OC'd to 3200 - Asus Strix Z370-E Gaming - Oracle F80 800GB Enterprise SSD, LSI SAS running 3 4TB and 2 6TB (Both Raid Z0), Samsung 840Pro 120GB - Phanteks Enthoo Pro

Super Server - i9 7980Xe @ 4.5GHz - 64GB 3200MHz Cl16 - Asrock X299 Professional - Nvidia Telsa K20 -Sandisk 512GB Enterprise SATA SSD, 128GB Seagate SATA SSD, 1.5TB WD Green (Over 9 years of power on time) - Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2

Laptop - 2019 Macbook Pro 16" - i7 - 16GB - 512GB - 5500M 8GB - Thermal Pads and Graphite Tape modded

Smart Phones - iPhone X - 64GB, AT&T, iOS 13.3 iPhone 6 : 16gb, AT&T, iOS 12 iPhone 4 : 16gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 7.1.1 Jailbroken. iPhone 3G : 8gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 4.2.1 Jailbroken.

15 minutes ago, randomhkkid said:

Up to RX 560

Pro=/=RX :P 

You'll probably want to change it. 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

1 minute ago, nerdslayer1 said:

BS, most "pros" don't use ECC memory, they are highly specialized, most tasks can't take advantage of it. 

good enough for acceleration

couldn't care less about the studio, i was thinking more of the concept, the surface studio is a first gen product, keep that in mind. this iMac will overheat causing serious issues for the "pros" who buy them. 

Good god, Apple goes out and actually builds a workstation class desktop packing a 5K display and a proper SP GPU for accerlated tasks with a Xeon for rendering and editing and anything else professionals would care to need and people are actually giving them shit for going out and doing that and checking of all the boxes for a workstation class device? 

This is amazing. Y'all just need any excuse to give Apple shit. Too expensive, too weak, too useless, pros wont actually use it; what other excuses? 

If Razer made this, you all would cream yourselves and Linus would spend the next 6 months waxing poetry over its existence. 

'14 rMBP

R3 13 w/AGA

that black is so sexy on an Imac an the keyboard and mouse

I make Rainmeter things and other art :D

If Razer made this, you all would cream yourselves and Linus would spend the next 6 months waxing poetry over its existence. 

razer? you mean that poor thermal design, poor quality control, poor customer service machines? you haven't spend any time on the forum. 

This is amazing. Y'all just need any excuse to give Apple shit. Too expensive, too weak, too useless, pros wont actually use it; what other excuses? 

that's why i use a late 2013 15 inch D-GPU maxed out MacBook pro retina

Good god, Apple goes out and actually builds a workstation class desktop packing a 5K display and a proper SP GPU for accerlated tasks with a Xeon for rendering and editing and anything else professionals would care to need and people are actually giving them shit for going out and doing that and checking of all the boxes for a workstation class device? 

not really, it's not good as you think especially if you look into it. thermal throttling is not apricated in a workstation computer. 

4 minutes ago, nerdslayer1 said:

The "tasks" don't need to "take advantage of" ECC memory, that's all handled internally by the system.  Whether the tasks would require ECC memory or not, is a different argument altogether.

On topic, that's some pretty impressive stats for an all-in-one.  Overpriced, in my opinion (as is typical of Mac), but to fit all of that in a slim case is still impressive.  And I'm not even a fan of Apple (I've never owned one, and I likely never will).

19 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

They also showed off Radeon Pro graphics in the standard iMac line. (555,560,570,575,580) (Not Rx)

@randomhkkid It is 2 TB3 on iMac and 4 TB3 on iMac Pro

@randomhkkid ^ missed this

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

3 minutes ago, ResidentRad said:

The Studio is nice, don't get me wrong, but pros still blow several grand to get a dedicated tablet to draw on for a good reason. 

Yes, either because the 980M isn't enough for them, which isn't the majority, or they're already running a higher end system already and can't/won't make room for the Studio.

4 minutes ago, ResidentRad said:

You realize that Professionals who are actually serious about drawing will not be buying an all in one?

Unless you're running your local machine for all your rendering, AND you're rendering complex animation, the Studio has enough power for most professional artists out there. For those rendering complex animation, chances are that they can convert an existing rig to do just rendering and use a lower end Studio without any issue, or use the Studio as said pen display via remote desktop.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.