AMD Officially Announces AMD Ryzen Threadripper CPUs For Consumers, Up to 16 Cores and 32 Threads

Source: https://techreport.com/news/31919/ryzen-threadripper-cpus-will-offer-16-cores-and-32-threads

So just after the tons of rumors about an even higher end "consumer" platform from AMD were going around, AMD actually went ahead and announced it.

AMD's Ryzen 7 CPUs already offer eight cores and 16 threads for those who can take advantage of as much multithreaded compute power as possible, but some folks need even more. For those power users, AMD will be introducing CPUs with up to 16 cores and 32 threads this summer, and they'll be called Ryzen Threadrippers.

threadripper.jpg

AMD says it'll have more details for us at Computex in a couple weeks.

It looks like Threadripper will go straight against the higher end Skylake-X CPUs.

It's interesting that AMD has, just like Intel, decided to split the platforms, except that AMD has decided to make their higher end platform only make sense to consumers that need a lot of cores.

It'll be interesting to see the prices of these CPUs, and to see how Skylake-X vs Threadripper turns out.

EDIT: Note that this is not a repost, due to it being an official announcement, whereas other threads are leaks and rumors.

EDIT V2.0: Courtesy of @NumLock21, it seems Skroutz has accidentally leaked two of the threadripper CPUs.

38ed61d9e4e2.jpg

Alternatively, you can view it here:

http://www.skroutz.gr/c/32/cpu-epeksergastes.html?keyphrase=threadripper

The main info this seems to have given us is confirmation of the core count, clock speeds, and names of the two flagship threadripper cpus, the Ryzen Threadripper 1998 and 1998x. These are both 16 core CPUs and use the "SP3r2" socket, with the 1998 being clocked at 3.2 ghz and 1998x at 3.5 ghz. Cache size as well as turbo and XFR speeds are still unknown.

It seems that sites like wccftech were actually accurate this time, with their leaked list showing the socket being SP3r2 and the 1998 and 1998x having base clocks of 3.2 and 3.5 ghz, respectively.

It'll be interesting to see if we'll get more info about Threadripper at Computex.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

The ultimate Cinebench CPU... and nothing else.

j/k

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

4 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

"Threadripper" is genuinely one of the worst nicknames I've ever heard.

More on topic, kinda excited to see how this turns out.

good names and AMD doesn't seem to match, along with most of the PC industry :P

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

1 minute ago, herman mcpootis said:

Zen-I like

Ryzen-meh, not horrible but not great

Threadripper-db917b65dc76c5f49aeee9365b8b7ef246059e25

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Spoiler

6 minutes ago, herman mcpootis said:

At least they're not Gigabyte and MSI and Asus and Asrock all calling their motherboards "gaming" "plus"

Spoiler

gaming.PNG.ea3b82cf840111d55b535b33049a7d27.PNG

But I hope threadripper isn't the SKU names. I don't want to give people threadripper 7 1995s

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

9 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

Zen-I like

Ryzen-meh, not horrible but not great

Threadripper- lol snip

zen sounded pretty nice IMO, ryzen sounded kinda cheezy. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

22 minutes ago, AlexGoesHigh said:

The ultimate Cinebench CPU... and nothing else.

j/k

Can video editing use 32 threads? Lol.

GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D

I was hoping they would have non SMT versions

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

1 minute ago, Jito463 said:

You know you can disable SMT, right?

Well that would be obvious

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

21 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

"Threadripper" is genuinely one of the worst nicknames I've ever heard.

More on topic, kinda excited to see how this turns out.

I'm sorry but I completely disagree: it sounds way fucking metal.

Imagine "Threadripper" to this soundtrack:

Spoiler

-------

Current Rig

-------

HEDT?

... More like more money than sense

Fanboys are the worst thing to happen to the tech community World. Chief among them are Apple fanboys. 

20 minutes ago, Energycore said:

At least they're not Gigabyte and MSI and Asus and Asrock all calling their motherboards "gaming" "plus"

And "pro", don't forget "pro".

"Pro gaming", "gaming plus", "pro plus"...

Threadripper

For when you need to let everyone know how edgy you are in your rebellious teen phase

'14 rMBP

R3 13 w/AGA

7 minutes ago, Ginger137 said:

HEDT?

... More like more money than sense

Orrrr it's for people that do things that need a lot of cores?

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

5 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

Orrrr it's for people that do things that need a lot of cores?

The only thing I could imagine someone would need all 32 threads for is virtual machines, So maybe some potential there. Not much beyond that unless devs quickly optimize for more, but somehow I doubt any will really optimize for even 20...

Fanboys are the worst thing to happen to the tech community World. Chief among them are Apple fanboys. 

Just now, Ginger137 said:

The only thing I could imagine someone would need all 32 threads for is virtual machines, So maybe some potential there. Not much beyond that unless devs quickly optimize for more, but somehow I doubt any will really optimize for even 20...

Might be useful for content creators, people doing CAD, etc. as well. Pretty much anyone that can take use of lots of threads might be interested.

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

34 minutes ago, Jito463 said:

You know you can disable SMT, right?

And why would you want to?

I do believe in a god: Libertina, the goddess of the sea, apple pie, certain types of ice cream and short bits of string.

2 minutes ago, Ginger137 said:

Well, there's parallel computing, for instance. I have used up to 48 cores in a 6-node cluster configuration in the past, and I didn't use more simply because that was all we had (each node was dual-socket, each socket had a quad-core Xeon). I can tell you I would love to have 16 modern cores per socket to leverage on, running at "consumer clocks" rather than server clocks.

The only problem is I would need institutional funding for that, it's unlikely I will have such computer in my kitchen :P But then again, that was the case for the old cluster as well...