Microsoft throws more ads into Windows 10

goodtofufriday

Just saying, if you remove EDGE from both your start menu and taskbar these adds cannot and do not show up.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

Anyone here actually using Windows 10?

Strike the shepherd and the sheep will scatter.

16 minutes ago, IAEInferno said:

Proudly.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

1 hour ago, ThinkWithPortals said:

It seems like every news story I hear about MS makes me gladder and gladder that I didn't "upgrade" to W10.

i just use the education edition, none of the bullshit, the same as enterprise edition, and free.

5 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

happy with it since Karmic Koala

Selezione_004.jpg

Me too, but when they started to use unity i switched to kubuntu... (BTW i didnt expected that anyone still has that disk besides me :D )

4 hours ago, Prysin said:

im on W10 Pro, and it's not even remotely as bad as Vista was/is. So atleast it got that going for it.

I don't think you can compare the two, but if I had to then I'd say Windows 10 has so far been far worse than Vista.

Windows Vista was bad because of things that were not quite Microsoft's faults. Vista was a huge leap forward in a lot of areas, and both consumers and driver developers were not ready for it. People were upgrading to Vista on their old XP machines which just did not have good enough hardware to run the far heavier OS. A lot of the underlying structure of the OS was modified so drivers had to be rewritten too, and that took a long time for some manufacturers. Not just to get the drivers out, but to then make them stable and well performing took a considerable amount of time.

Microsoft were just trying to make the best OS they could, and it didn't go that smoothly.

All of the issues with Windows 10 are 100% the fault of Microsoft though. Instead of trying to make the OS as good as possible, they are now trying to use as many dirty tactics as possible to make as much money from users as possible. Sell the OS to make money. Put in ads to make money. Ship with bloatware in the core OS to make money. Harvest user data to make money. Have their own "ecosystem" (aka walled garden) so that they are the gatekeepers of which software you install on your computer, to make money. Trick and/or force people to install their OS. Use exclusives to try and entice people (exclusives = hostages in my mind, unless there is some good reason for it).

I think fucking up while trying to do good things is not as bad as fucking up because you are straight up evil and want to hurt your users.

2 hours ago, Prysin said:

im on W10 Pro, and it's not even remotely as bad as Vista was/is. So atleast it got that going for it.

The biggest problem with Vista was that it was shipped on PCs that could barely run it so that it functions. That and people installing it on same kind of PCs. It was better than people remember it imo. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

Somewhere, an Apple executive is smiling.

Yes, I know that Macs don't make sense for everyone, especially not at their current prices!  It's more that there will be some people who'll hit that breaking point with Windows 10 and have the motivation/resources to get a Mac as their next computer.  Remember, many credit the Mac resurgence of the mid '00s to a combination of the iPhone (as of 2007) and Windows Vista scaring users away.

1 hour ago, IAEInferno said:

Yes, for about a year, and I haven't ever seen an ad. Nor have I had any major issues (that I didn't also occassionally have with W7/W8.1).

7 minutes ago, Commodus said:

Remember, many credit the Mac resurgence of the mid '00s to a combination of the iPhone (as of 2007) and Windows Vista scaring users away.

And the fact that Windows laptops were basically garbage until five-ish years ago.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

1 hour ago, IAEInferno said:

Yes, on my grandma notebook, and love and hate relationship with Windows 10...   *sighs*

CPU:AMD Ryzen 5 5600 3.5 GHz Processor | CPU Air Cooler:Thermalright Assassin X 120 Refined SE | Motherboard:MSI B450M GAMING PLUS MATX AM4

Memory:G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2x16GB)  DDR4-3200 | GPU:PowerColor Fighter Radeon RX 7600 8 GB Video Card

Storage #1:Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD (OS driver) | Storage #2: Silicon Power A60 1TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVMe (Anything else)

Case:Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L | Case Fan: 3x Thermalright TL-C12C (2x intake fans, 1x exhaust fan)

Power Supply:Corsair CXM (2015) 450W Bronze 80 Plus |OS:MS Windows10 (64-bit) | Monitor: ASUS VG275 27” 1080p 75 Hz FreeSync

So the only reason I'm not seeing ads on Windows 10 Pro is because I have deferred updates enabled? I haven't used Edge ever since I first installed W10 besides to download Firefox. If it's the deferred updates, I fear the day my time runs out and I have nag ads all over the place.

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S | MB: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite | RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws V 32GB 3600MHz | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra | Case: Fractal Design Define R6 Blackout | SSD1: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | SSD2: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB | HDD1: Seagate Barracuda 2TB | HDD2: Seagate Barracuda 4TB | Monitors: Dell S2716DG + Asus MX259H  | Keyboard: Ducky Shine 5 (Cherry MX Brown) | PSU: Corsair RMx 850W

1 hour ago, samcool55 said:

Well, i agree with that.

It's not as bad as vista, at least for now.

Maybe MS screws it up so bad it ends up being worse than vista, who knows.

You can expect everything from them tbh...

I'll probably get flamed for this but... I used Vista on my previous rig for about 7 to 8 years and actually never had any problems with it. Same for Windows 10 actually. Although articles like these make me shudder and fear it will go for the worse, I have to admit that after just disabling all the monkey crap and getting rid of the added bloatware... it was just fine and I have yet to see a single ad.

I do hope they're not going down this ad-riddled road though... I actually paid for this software. Normally when you pay to get rid of ads, not to receive them.

Especially since these ads will never succeed in higher adoption of Edge. It simply sucks. I can't even pull out a tab to open a new window... even IE was better!

I have never seen an ad and I have used Windows 10 since the day of its release. Although I do have the Pro version so I do not know if that effects anything.

GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D

Haven't seen ads on my systems, though they're rarely connected to internet anymore nowadays. My desktop is certainly pretty far behind in updates (not even on the anniversary edition).

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

I have never seen an ad or had an interrupting restart/install either. I use a local account (don't know why anyone would use a Microsoft account anyway) and use Firefox instead of Edge. How are people having all these issues? I have never experienced anything popup on me (I have a laptop and desktop on Win 10 home and another desktop on Win 10 Pro, none have given me issues).

Primary PC-

CPU: Intel i7-6800k @ 4.2-4.4Ghz   CPU COOLER: Bequiet Dark Rock Pro 4   MOBO: MSI X99A SLI Plus   RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX quad-channel DDR4-2800  GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 SC2 iCX   PSU: Corsair RM1000i   CASE: Corsair 750D Obsidian   SSDs: 500GB Samsung 960 Evo + 256GB Samsung 850 Pro   HDDs: Toshiba 3TB + Seagate 1TB   Monitors: Acer Predator XB271HUC 27" 2560x1440 (165Hz G-Sync)  +  LG 29UM57 29" 2560x1080   OS: Windows 10 Pro

Album

Other Systems:

Spoiler

Home HTPC/NAS-

CPU: AMD FX-8320 @ 4.4Ghz  MOBO: Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3   RAM: 16GB dual-channel DDR3-1600  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 760 OC   PSU: Rosewill 750W   CASE: Antec Gaming One   SSD: 120GB PNY CS1311   HDDs: WD Red 3TB + WD 320GB   Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 2693HM 26" 1920x1200 -or- Steam Link to Vizio M43C1 43" 4K TV  OS: Windows 10 Pro

Offsite NAS/VM Server-

CPU: 2x Xeon E5645 (12-core)  Model: Dell PowerEdge T610  RAM: 16GB DDR3-1333  PSUs: 2x 570W  SSDs: 8GB Kingston Boot FD + 32GB Sandisk Cache SSD   HDDs: WD Red 4TB + Seagate 2TB + Seagate 320GB   OS: FreeNAS 11+

Laptop-

CPU: Intel i7-3520M   Model: Dell Latitude E6530   RAM: 8GB dual-channel DDR3-1600  GPU: Nvidia NVS 5200M   SSD: 240GB TeamGroup L5   HDD: WD Black 320GB   Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 2693HM 26" 1920x1200   OS: Windows 10 Pro

Having issues with a Corsair AIO? Possible fix here:

Spoiler

Are you getting weird fan behavior, speed fluctuations, and/or other issues with Link?

Are you running AIDA64, HWinfo, CAM, or HWmonitor? (ASUS suite & other monitoring software often have the same issue.)

Corsair Link has problems with some monitoring software so you may have to change some settings to get them to work smoothly.

-For AIDA64: First make sure you have the newest update installed, then, go to Preferences>Stability and make sure the "Corsair Link sensor support" box is checked and make sure the "Asetek LC sensor support" box is UNchecked.

-For HWinfo: manually disable all monitoring of the AIO sensors/components.

-For others: Disable any monitoring of Corsair AIO sensors.

That should fix the fan issue for some Corsair AIOs (H80i GT/v2, H110i GTX/H115i, H100i GTX and others made by Asetek). The problem is bad coding in Link that fights for AIO control with other programs. You can test if this worked by setting the fan speed in Link to 100%, if it doesn't fluctuate you are set and can change the curve to whatever. If that doesn't work or you're still having other issues then you probably still have a monitoring software interfering with the AIO/Link communications, find what it is and disable it.

1 hour ago, Jovidah said:

I'll probably get flamed for this but... I used Vista on my previous rig for about 7 to 8 years and actually never had any problems with it. Same for Windows 10 actually. Although articles like these make me shudder and fear it will go for the worse, I have to admit that after just disabling all the monkey crap and getting rid of the added bloatware... it was just fine and I have yet to see a single ad.

I do hope they're not going down this ad-riddled road though... I actually paid for this software. Normally when you pay to get rid of ads, not to receive them.

Especially since these ads will never succeed in higher adoption of Edge. It simply sucks. I can't even pull out a tab to open a new window... even IE was better!

Well i never tried to use Vista daily. Same with W8. I did try W10 for almost 3 months btw, but i'm back to W7.

The reason i never used Vista is because of how hard it was to run back then.

Back in those days i just started to get into the whole PC thing so i didn't have exactly a fast pc, which made it easy to decide which OS to pick.

It might be a decent OS if you could run it properly, but back in the day my pc couldn't so i never tried it.

Also the issues i heard about it with people having trouble using Vista didn't exactly help...

The ad stuff is indeed worrying, it's really starting to sound like W10 is a complete mess, or at least that's where it's heading to.

And that for a 100+ dollar piece of software, that's bad.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

4 hours ago, goodtofufriday said:

Source: http://betanews.com/2016/11/04/windows-10-edgeads/

edge-popupad.jpg

Welp. As an IT admin, Im probably just going to go and get some enterprise licenses now. I cant be bothered to have all these nuances that only occur in win10 because the "pro" version has stripped out GPO options.

Other than that, screw this.

Here is the actual, full source: http://www.pcworld.com/article/3138493/windows/here-we-go-again-microsofts-popping-up-ads-from-the-windows-10-toolbar.html#tk.rss_all

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

1 hour ago, Weird Face said:

So the only reason I'm not seeing ads on Windows 10 Pro is because I have deferred updates enabled? I haven't used Edge ever since I first installed W10 besides to download Firefox. If it's the deferred updates, I fear the day my time runs out and I have nag ads all over the place.

1 hour ago, pyrojoe34 said:

I have never seen an ad or had an interrupting restart/install either. I use a local account (don't know why anyone would use a Microsoft account anyway) and use Firefox instead of Edge. How are people having all these issues? I have never experienced anything popup on me (I have a laptop and desktop on Win 10 home and another desktop on Win 10 Pro, none have given me issues).

Ads are on by default.

• The lockscreen contains ads for things such as games and other apps.
  • If you use a pen then you will get ads for "recommended apps" in the "charm" bar.
  • Unless you turn it off, apps you do not have installed will appear on the start menu, and if you click on them they will be downloaded though the store (there are ads which auto download when you click on them).
  • Now we got this Edge ad.

I am probably forgetting something. Maybe you two have turned everything off already, or haven't installed the updates that introduce all these cancerous things, or maybe you simply don't realize that they are ads, but they are there. It's not something people are making up.

There's also the ad shown to people using Chrome on a laptop, mentioning how Edge is so much better on battery life.

Except, Google has significantly improved Chrome's resource utilization since then. I don't know if that has impacted its battery usage in any way.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

4 hours ago, samcool55 said:

Well, i agree with that.

It's not as bad as vista, at least for now.

Maybe MS screws it up so bad it ends up being worse than vista, who knows.

You can expect everything from them tbh...

My PC would have to literally catch on fire, and maybe start queefing at me for it to be worse than vista.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

3 minutes ago, paddy-stone said:

My PC would have to literally catch on fire, and maybe start queefing at me for it to be worse than vista.

Damn my memory... I apologise, I was thinking of windows ME, lol

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

What a joke Microsoft has become! The bigger the company, the greedier and pushier they get. Just look at Comcast, AT&T and many other of the big companies. Once they get this big, they start treating their customers like crap!

4 hours ago, Captain Chaos said:

It is, but the .04 versions are LTS (long term support).   16.10 is only supported for 9 months, 16.04 for 5 years.

One correction: .04 released every two years are LTS, so next LTS will be 18.04

3 hours ago, jagdtigger said:

Me too, but when they started to use unity i switched to kubuntu... (BTW i didnt expected that anyone still has that disk besides me :D )

have that and 10.10 Ubuntu and Kubuntu

20161105_002436.jpg

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

11 hours ago, Pyrii said:

Something tells me the EU antitrust council will have a field day with this. MS abusing their OS position to try and nag/incentivise users to use their browser over others.

I don't think it applies to stuff you don't actually pay for.

\\ QUIET AUDIO WORKSTATION //

5960X 3.7GHz @ 0.983V / ASUS X99-A USB3.1      

32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws 4 & 2667MHz @ 1.2V

AMD R9 Fury X

256GB SM961 + 1TB Samsung 850 Evo  

Cooler Master Silencio 652S (soon Calyos NSG S0 ^^)              

Noctua NH-D15 / 3x NF-S12A                 

Seasonic PRIME Titanium 750W        

Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum / Logitech G900

2x Samsung S24E650BW 16:10  / Adam A7X / Fractal Axe Fx 2 Mark I

Windows 7 Ultimate

4K GAMING/EMULATION RIG

Xeon X5670 4.2Ghz (200BCLK) @ ~1.38V / Asus P6X58D Premium

12GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz

Gainward GTX 1080 Golden Sample

Intel 535 Series 240 GB + San Disk SSD Plus 512GB

Corsair Crystal 570X

Noctua NH-S12