Microsoft throws more ads into Windows 10

goodtofufriday

Source: http://betanews.com/2016/11/04/windows-10-edgeads/

edge-popupad.jpg

Now Microsoft is at it again. Apparently unhappy with the number of people using its Edge browser, the company is now trying to encourage people to switch from rivals by using popup ads to push Edge and Bing Rewards. Will the company never learn?

As reported by PCWorld, Microsoft has started to nag users with ads even if they have taken steps to disable their appearance. The site suggests that the ads are only being displayed to people who do not use Edge, or do not use it frequently enough and the prominence of the popups means they are hard to ignore.

Welp. As an IT admin, Im probably just going to go and get some enterprise licenses now. I cant be bothered to have all these nuances that only occur in win10 because the "pro" version has stripped out GPO options.

Other than that, screw this.

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

It seems like every news story I hear about MS makes me gladder and gladder that I didn't "upgrade" to W10.

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

3 hours ago, ThinkWithPortals said:

It seems like every news story I hear about MS makes me gladder and gladder that I didn't "upgrade" to W10.

Hopefully it doesn't get worse for previous versions of Windows as well. If that does, I think everyone will really be looking into Linux at that point (or OS X, but you get the idea). 

I think the gap between W7 and W10 is getting bigger and bigger.

When i'm forced to upgrade i'm expecting a disaster of an OS waiting for me...

Let's prepare for the worst and hope it's not as bad as it looks i guess.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

They would rather spend more money tricking people into using a crappy piece of software than spend that money making the piece of software not crappy

i7-4790k | MSI Z97 GAMING-5 | Corsair Vengeance 16 GB | Samsung EVO-850 250GB SSD & WD blue 1 TB HDD | EVGA 1070 SC | Red NZXT H440 | Cooler Master G650W

This is so sad that they have to do this...
Can I actually install windows 10 on a machine that was shipped with windows 8.1? 

3 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

I think the gap between W7 and W10 is getting bigger and bigger.

When i'm forced to upgrade i'm expecting a disaster of an OS waiting for me...

Let's prepare for the worst and hope it's not as bad as it looks i guess.

im on W10 Pro, and it's not even remotely as bad as Vista was/is. So atleast it got that going for it.

2 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

*Windows prompt appears*

Free coke. Get your fix today!

[Yes!] [Hmm okay] [No. Nag me again later]

Pressed the "No" button because there wasn't a "Coke can Die in a Fire"  option

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

I've never actually had an issue with Windows 10 being an ad-tastic whore. Only issues I've had are games (*cough* FORZA APEX *cough*) being retarded and not realizing I have DX12, as well as platform upgrades screwing up some programs.

1 minute ago, Julian2000nl said:

Here's your solution to all your problems

Too bad Linux either doesn't work  for what people do, or (in the case of my laptop) doesn't fully support the hardware no matter what.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

3 minutes ago, Julian2000nl said:

Ubuntu-Server-16-04-chto-novogo.png

Can I play Valkyria Chronicles, Tales of Zetia, and all my favorites on there?  "knows answer is no" 

Of course, Windows 10 broke some very old games for me too... 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

1 minute ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Can I play Valkyria Chronicles, Tales of Zetia, and all my favorites on there?  "knows answer is no" 

You can with WINE, many google searches and a migraine.

No thanks MS, I'm good with Vivaldi.

Only an anti-trust lawsuit can save us.

Windows 10 will just keep getting worse and worse until that happens. I think it is really sad that Microsoft wants to charge money for this OS, when it has so many ads and data harvesting things built into it.

9 minutes ago, Julian2000nl said:

happy with it since Karmic Koala

Selezione_004.jpg

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

21 minutes ago, Prysin said:

im on W10 Pro, and it's not even remotely as bad as Vista was/is. So atleast it got that going for it.

Well, i agree with that.

It's not as bad as vista, at least for now.

Maybe MS screws it up so bad it ends up being worse than vista, who knows.

You can expect everything from them tbh...

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

24 minutes ago, goodtofufriday said:

Source: http://betanews.com/2016/11/04/windows-10-edgeads/

edge-popupad.jpg

Welp. As an IT admin, Im probably just going to go and get some enterprise licenses now. I cant be bothered to have all these nuances that only occur in win10 because the "pro" version has stripped out GPO options.

Other than that, screw this.

Seriously, that one of the major reason I have no interest in W10 unless I can nab an Enterprise liscence.  Stupid thing they did when they strip GPO options out of the Pro.  Wish they bring back Ult for costumers.

So far the Education edition has been fine on my lappy though.  Even if its stinking slow on boot up.  It only staying on there while I do my college classes.  After that, bye bye to W10 and hello to Mint again.

8 minutes ago, Julian2000nl said:

I take Mint Mate over that.  Ubuntu is alright, but I have to say after trying out Mint Mate.  I'm not going back to Ubuntu at all.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

31 minutes ago, Prysin said:

Vista was great. Windows 10 is a much more bloated and buggy OS than Vista.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

28 minutes ago, Julian2000nl said:

Is 16.10 not out yet?

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

2 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Is 16.10 not out yet?

It is, but the .04 versions are LTS (long term support).   16.10 is only supported for 9 months, 16.04 for 5 years.

Just now, Dan Castellaneta said:

Let's see, I can't play Just Cause 2 on Linux, nor will TF2 cooperate.

Yeah, can't do that, private.

But it has excellent scanning software xD 

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.