Microsoft throws more ads into Windows 10

goodtofufriday

Does this only occur when you have the Edge icon in your taskbar? 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

On 11/4/2016 at 2:35 PM, tlink said:

i just use the education edition, none of the bullshit, the same as enterprise edition, and free.

When I build my PC, I'll use Win10 education because it's free from my school district.

Though my laptop uses Win10 Home and I decided to remove the edge icon from my task bar since I figure I never use it, might as well not have it on the task bar.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

Honestly when I rebuild my desktop here in a few more months I'm planning on having W10 only for games & ms office and Linux for everything else. 90% of the other things I do on my current W10 machine I can do on linux.

Alas, since I game, I can't rid myself of W10 entirely.

35 minutes ago, HarryNyquist said:

Honestly when I rebuild my desktop here in a few more months I'm planning on having W10 only for games & ms office and Linux for everything else. 90% of the other things I do on my current W10 machine I can do on linux.

Alas, since I game, I can't rid myself of W10 entirely.

I feel your pain. I'm exactly in the same boat as you.

CPU: i7-12700KF Grill Plate Edition // MOBO: Asus Z690-PLUS WIFI D4 // RAM: 16GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200MHz CL14 

GPU: MSI GTX 1080 FE // PSU: Corsair RM750i // CASE: Thermaltake Core X71 // BOOT: Samsung Evo 960 500GB

STORAGE: WD PC SN530 512GB + Samsung Evo 860 500GB // COOLING: Full custom loop // DISPLAY: LG 34UC89G-B

And I never found out because I have Windows Update disabled :)

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

Never had any issues with ads or pop ups of any kind on windows 10. 4 home machines with win10 home/pro on them. Sorry for those that do.

Ryzen 9 3950x - 64 GB DDR4 - NVME 980 pro SSD - EVGA RTX 3080 FTW Ultra - FAD CASE

Full custom loop / links below out of date

LTT Build Log | PCPP Build Log

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Sorry if I stop responding, I've probably gotten busy as I mostly am only on here while working.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Microsoft Edge isn't a bad browser at all. But that isn't the reason why not a lot of people use it. The reason is that they are already familiar with Chrome or Firefox. I won't switch to Edge either. Chrome is good enough for me.

23 hours ago, Space Reptile said:

im using w10 since insider build uuuhhhhhh 14xx? about a year before launch 

never had any problems (besides on launch because the build on day 1 was awful) 

0 ads sofar ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ , on both my home and pro licence 

I'm using Windows 10 since early builds too. Now I have a Pro licence and no ads either... Microsoft! Why are you ignoring meeeee!!!

But seriously, I understand the problem. They are abusing the position of their OS on the market, but is there that many ads in Win10? Like I said, I'm using Win 10 for a long time now and haven't seen one ad. I like Windows 10. I like how it looks and how it performs.

Main Rig - AMD Ryzen 1800X @ 3.9 - NZXT Kraken X62 - MSI X370 SLI PLUS - G.Skill TRIDENT Z RGB 16GB 2667MHz - 2 x Gigabyte GeForce GTX1080 WindForce OC - NZXT S340 (Purple-White) - OCZ 120GB, Seagate 1TB - Corsair RM750i 80+ Gold - SAMSUNG S24D590 24", HP L1950g - Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum - Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum - Creative Cambridge Sound Works + two random Philips speakers, Logitech G430 headset - Win 10 Pro x64

Retro Gaming PC - ASUS T3

Server - HP ProLiant DL380 G6(Currently assembling it) - 2 x Intel Xeon E5520 2.26GHz 8MB Quad Core Processor

NAS - Zyxel NSA320S 2 x Seagate Constellation ES 2TB(RAID1) - QNAP TS-212 1 x 500GB

-=Logitech FanBoiiiiiiii=-

I love NZXT as well <3

On November 4, 2016 at 1:17 PM, Zodiark1593 said:

Pressed the "No" button because there wasn't a "Coke can Die in a Fire"  option

What's wrong with Coke?    Coke is delicious and Vanilla Coke is the best.

Just now, Bleedingyamato said:

What's wrong with Coke?    Coke is delicious and Vanilla Coke is the best.

Cherry Vanilla Coke. 

Ftfy

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

On November 4, 2016 at 4:16 PM, Zodiark1593 said:

Haven't seen ads on my systems, though they're rarely connected to internet anymore nowadays. My desktop is certainly pretty far behind in updates (not even on the anniversary edition).

Why wouldn't you have your computers connected to the Internet?

Unless you're doing stuff like MS Word or running games you already have downloaded you pretty much need to be online for many things.

On November 4, 2016 at 5:36 PM, LAwLz said:

Ads are on by default.

• The lockscreen contains ads for things such as games and other apps.

Ummm..  My lock screen for W10 on both my desktops is just the picture I chose along with the date and current time.

I see no ads..  ?

On November 6, 2016 at 2:32 AM, LAwLz said:

You've never seen an ad in Windows 10? A lot of the ad stuff seem to have been disabled when you did an upgrade (not all of it though) so that might explain why you haven't seen it. But let me tell you, a clean install of Windows 10 is full of ads. 

I had bought a retail boxed copy of W10 home from a MS store kiosk at a local mall and installed it on the Usagi build I did for my friend.  I didn't see any ads (unless you count the live tile crap on the start menu that I easily got rid of) when I installed and configured a few Windows settings along with installing some basic software like Fraps and Steam.  I also have yet to get an angry phone call complaining about all the ads my friend has been shown.

I use my desktop everyday for some thing or another and pretty sure I haven't seen any ads.  Not even this edge ad unless it just hasn't started happening to me yet.

I'm sorry if I'm annoying you and I'm not saying you're wrong if you've personally seen ads in W10 but perhaps you could explain more about where in W10 that you've seen ads?

It's certainly possible I missed noticing them.

26 minutes ago, goodtofufriday said:

Cherry Vanilla Coke. 

Ftfy

I didn't know that was a thing.    I still prefer regular Vanilla Coke sorry.

I'm not a huge fan of cherry flavored things in general and idk why this is but the only cherry soda I like is code red Mountain Dew.  Weird right?  lol

4 hours ago, Energycore said:

And I never found out because I have Windows Update disabled :)

Why doing what sort of hackery?  ?

3 hours ago, Marine_Boy said:

I'm using Windows 10 since early builds too. Now I have a Pro licence and no ads either... Microsoft! Why are you ignoring meeeee!!!

But seriously, I understand the problem. They are abusing the position of their OS on the market, but is there that many ads in Win10? Like I said, I'm using Win 10 for a long time now and haven't seen one ad. I like Windows 10. I like how it looks and how it performs.

I will always miss XP though.  ?

Things just worked most of the time.  I didn't have to worry about "will this game run on XP?"

Even on W7 and more so on W10 I keep having to use compatibility mode or jump through multiple hoops (I'm looking at you Fallout 3) to get games or run.

Heck, just this past week I was playing the first Crysis game that I got from GOG and here and there it would keep looking up for a few seconds before going back to normal and a few days into playing it Crysis started crashing every so often.  

I teied using compatibility mode for a few different versions of Windows but I don't think that helped at all.

I also got Medal of Honor Pacific Assault and that is messed up and unplayable entirely on W10.  

1 minute ago, Bleedingyamato said:

I'm sorry if I'm annoying you and I'm not saying you're wrong if you've personally seen ads in W10 but perhaps you could explain more about where in W10 that you've seen ads?

I did a bit later in the thread. Here is a more detailed description though:

The lockscreen will show pictures from things like games, and then have a link to where you can buy them (and I do believe it will put buttons over regular images as well, which takes you to the store).

You can turn it off by going into the lock screen settings and disabling "Get fun facts, tips, and more from Windows and Cortana on your lock screen".

This is what the lockscreen looked like for some people after the Tomb Raider game was launched. Clicking on those buttons you can see would take you to the store where you could buy the game.

Spoiler

lockscreen ad.jpg

This also happens with other apps from time to time. One example Microsoft themselves gave was that the lock screen might turn into a painting, and then have a link to a drawing app in the store.

The start menu will sometimes show "suggested apps".

You can turn this off in settings -> personalization -> start -> "occasionally show suggestions in Start"

If you left click on the "suggested app" then it will automatically install itself. If you right click on it however then you will get the option to turn off suggestions. I do believe they can also show up as pinned apps to the start menu, but don't quote me on that.

Spoiler

Windows-10-Start-Menu-Turn-off-Suggested-apps.png

The OS comes with a few apps such as "Get Office" and "Get Skype". If you don't uninstall these apps then they will also push out notifications.

Spoiler

getoffice2.png

getoffice1.png

If you have the store and Xbox app pinned to the start menu, and live tiles enabled then they will from time to time change to recommend you a program or game you don't have.

If you use Windows Ink Workspace then it will show suggested apps in there.

Spoiler

ink workspace.jpg

And a few more places.

i see everyone talking about these ads.. but i haven't seen any since upgrading last year

Intel i5 4670K | Asus z97 Deluxe | MSI GTX 1060 (6GB) | 16GB Corsair Vengeance |

120GB Samsung EVO - 480GB OCZ Solid III - 1.5TB Seagate Barracuda  | Corsair AX760

Razer Blackwidow Ultimate | Razer Ouroboros

2 hours ago, LAwLz said:

*snip*

That would explain why I haven't seen any of that.  The first thing I did after installing W10 was go through the settings looking for anything I wanted to adjust.

Like all the stuff you just mentioned.  Except idk what Windows Ink Workspace is.

I do have the Xbox app pinned to the start menu but I forget if I have live tiles on or not.

Thank you for the information.   

Edited by Bleedingyamato
Fixed spelling.

9 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

That would explain why I haven't seen any of that.  The first thing I did after instilling W10 was go through the settings looking for anything I wanted to adjust.

Yeah that's what I hope most people do.

9 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Like all the stuff you just mentioned.  Except idk what Windows Ink Workspace is.

Windows Ink Workspace is something you can access if you got a stylus (like on the Surface). It's basically just a menu for quickly launching programs that work well with a pen.

@LAwLz I think the lock screen is more personal. For me and my dad it only shows pictures of architecture and nature.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

3 hours ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Why doing what sort of hackery?  ?

Go to Services, find the one called Windows Update, set startup to manual and then restart :P

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

1 hour ago, valdyrgramr said:

The only thing 10 broke for me was 1/2 the audio drivers for my z97 gaming 3 in Vash.  To be fair, the main audio works I just don't get the equalizer options at the moment.  <.<

Windows 10 (and Win 8) broke DirectDraw support to the point where a 2D game gets maybe 10 frames per second. To run the game at (near) full speed, it required an application to convert the DirectDraw code into OpenGL

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

On 05/11/2016 at 6:02 AM, Vode said:

I don't think it applies to stuff you don't actually pay for.

Except Win10 is now a Pay-OS, the free upgrade was win7/8>10 and you also still have to pay for Home>Pro etc.

Win10 is in no way a free OS.

On 05/11/2016 at 9:23 AM, sof006 said:

Might just go back to Windows 7 at this rate and only play games that run DX11 or Vulkan

Already did so, I got fed up with Windows 10 always restarting my computer instead of shutting down and waking up in the morning to find it still on wasting power.

On 05/11/2016 at 11:50 AM, RagnarokDel said:

Isnt this opt-in? Why are people complaining for a opt-in program?

Nope, opt-out, but only if you know the obscure way to turn it off.