[Patched]AMD drivers locking fan speed to 20% and killing GPUS. WATCH YOUR CARDS

Syntaxvgm

Hot fix a problem is fine, but what are they doing for the people that fried a gpu?

Very grey area - usually overheating GPUs aren't covered by warranty so unless they make some sort of exception it will likely get cast as user negligence and they get nothing

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

Hot fix a problem is fine, but what are they doing for the people that fried a gpu?

well, i would first question HOW they fried it...

i bet they OCd it, because if you leave clock speeds at stock with all power saving features on, they should thermal throttle. But if you choose to OC, you can turn that off to a degree.

AMD explicitly state that overclocking voids warranty...

also, this is the internet... how legit is this claim?

how legit is it that this bug caused it, and that they didnt just slap a already burnt out GPU into a system in hopes of getting something out of this?

Even if shit hits the fan, they aren't spinning that fast so it won't get everywhere.

Hahahahahaha

you

i like you

I can confirm on my side that GCN 1.2 cards are fine. My LAN rigs 380 and my 2 FURYs have full control over fans.

"The REVISED Companion Cube, v2.1" - "1440p, lock on." Discover it by clicking here.   // Peripherals - Corsair Strafe RGB  + Steelseries Rival

CPU - i7-6700k // Motherboard - ASRock Z170 Extreme 6+ // CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i GTX // Memory - 16GB HyperX Fury DDR4-2133 (2x8GB) // Storage - Samsung 850 EVO 120GB + Seagate Barracuda 1TB // Graphics - Crossfire Sapphire R9 Fury Tri-X // PSU -  EVGA SuperNova G2 850W // Case - Corsair Carbide Air 540 (Steel) // Devices - iPhone 6 Plus, Macbook Pro //

Is this only for GCN 1.0 cards?

Because mine is unaffected. R9 290.

my 7990 is fine also, but I started to use afterburner for fan speed. Just in case

EVGA SR-2 / 2x Intel Xeon X5675 4.4Ghz OC / 24GB EEC 1800Mhz OC/ AMD RX570 / Enermax Evoliution 1050W / Main RAID 0: 2x256GB 840EVO SSD / BackUp(1) Raid 5: 3x2TB WD HDD / BackUp(2) 8x2TB / Dell U2412M / Dell U2312HM

I gotta post here again:

AMD really dropped the ball on this. Granted, my laptop is unaffected and TF2 runs better, but holy fucking shit.

Do you have a seal of disapproval for Crimson?

Sergeant, United States Marine Corps

Network Administrator, Comptia A+, Security+, Cisco Certified Networking Associate

From a G3258 to dual Xeon E5-2670's

Hopefully people with fried cards can get replacements.  x.x  Glad I never updated.

Would anyone have a rough guess as to when to expect my fan speed to adjust?  I've removed the Crimson suite but I'm concerned the fan speed is locked via the drivers now - not my area of expertise sorry.

p.s. currently running a 270x

Well that certainly sucks. Hopefully AMD will replace the gpus they've fried with their faulty drivers.

Ever heard of not all headphones are closed back? Ever heard of GPU temps? Ever heard of common sense?

Ever heard of:

~ ear buds

~ hearing problems

~ background noise

~ people without reference design coolers

~ speakers

~ people with their computers in those desk compartments

~ people with quiet cases

You're talking about common sense when you seem to be lacking it yourself.

Edited by noobadin

i5-4670K ~ RX 470 ~ Z87MX-D3H ~ MX300 525GB ~ CM Hyper 212+ ~ 12GB 1600MHz Ram ~ EarthWatts 650 ~ NZXT GAMMA ~ WD Blue 250GB

Who'd have thought the flame war would be about noise of all things. The world is indeed a funny place

"Flame war"

HAHAHAH

"Burning GPUs"

Get it?

I dont know what the issue is but I dont have it personally. I'm not sure how it's even possible to burn a single gpu. I've already reached really high temps on my 7990 dual gpu (mid 90s without changing fan-speed) but on my third gpu, a r9 270x it stays at ~65° under load.

Would anyone have a rough guess as to when to expect my fan speed to adjust?  I've removed the Crimson suite but I'm concerned the fan speed is locked via the drivers now - not my area of expertise sorry.

p.s. currently running a 270x

I dont see how it'd be possible to burn a r9 270x man. I'm currently doing boinc on my gpu with the fan at the lowest speed and it's not getting higher then 80°. If I put them back to the default setting (40%) it doesnt reach higher then 73° and using my pretty aggressive fan curve on this gpu, I'm getting less then 60°

screenshot example while x11 mining at intensity of 20 (I particularly like this card cause even at 90% the fans are relatively quiet unlike my 7990 which sounds like a rocket ship at anything above 55%)

xL2xAmq.png

Also, if people can't hear the difference between 20% and 60% and above then I really don't know what else to say. I would've heard something was wrong and put the two and two together.

I usually have my headphones on pretty loud so I can't even hear my computer with shitty fans blaring at 100% even though it's a foot from my head. Everyone in the skype call however has a different story. :ph34r:

Nvidia had the same issue with 9800GT or something along those lines with one driver iteration. It's not comforting at all to see AMD make the same mistake now.

As for the refunds or replacement cards, I can't see it happening much if they can't prove it broke because of the new drivers which would be difficult in my opinion. When Nvidia had a slipup like this they didn't offer any compensation as far as I know.

What is strange to me is that GPU didn't automatically shutdown when it reached critical temperature. One would think that if you spent 200-500$ on a GPU it would have some sort of protection against this kind of things. 

huh ? This hasn't happened to me. Then again I do have MSI afterburner on. So that might be it helping override crimsons fan lock.

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

Funny, for me it was defaulting to 100% every. damn. time. It was getting annoying so I installed MSI Afterburner. Good thing, disaster avoided.

This is a signature.

No. NVIDIAs been having a sub par driver streak until recently. After witcher 3 came out, their drivers would crash on the desktop. I had to stay on pre witcher 3 drivers for many versions. At least I could, 980ti owners were screwed. 

One of many instances where that is simply no longer true, though I must say this is truly classic AMD fashion to not be able to make completely new software without something going up in flames. 

Ahem, 980 Ti owner here. Haven't crashed on an Nvidia driver since before 980 Ti came out.

i7 6700K - ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger - Corsair H110i GT CPU Cooler - EVGA GTX 980 Ti ACX2.0+ SC+ - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB - AX760i - Corsair 450D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

i7 3770K - H110 Corsair CPU Cooler - ASUS P8Z77 V-PRO - GTX 980 Reference - 16GB HyperX Beast 1600MHz - Intel 240GB SSD - HX750i - Corsair 750D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

Ahem, 980 Ti owner here. Haven't crashed on an Nvidia driver since before 980 Ti came out.

Seems a lot of other people have had issues. Driver forum for GeForce has been nonstop mass complaints for the past 2 weeks or more.

Seems a lot of other people have had issues. Driver forum for GeForce has been nonstop mass complaints for the past 2 weeks or more.

Hmh, well I had a clean install of Windows for my 980 Ti. Maybe that has something to do with it. Either way, I won't dispute people's experiences. I must have been lucky maybe?

EDIT: Read your Nvidia propaganda thing, I have to say that it's mostly just hearsay. I still will buy Nvidia GPUs over AMD. Not because of brand loyalty, I believe that all the companies are out to just steal my money. However, AMD haven't had a really good GPU in a long time, and their drivers are still a problem for me. They're obviously much better than they used to be, but Game Ready drivers from Nvidia (even though it's anti competitively bought) are a big sell for me since I play most new games I want on release.

Yes, I know that thing needs updating and more has happened since. I still don't think that it makes an Nvidia graphics card bad..

i7 6700K - ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger - Corsair H110i GT CPU Cooler - EVGA GTX 980 Ti ACX2.0+ SC+ - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB - AX760i - Corsair 450D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

i7 3770K - H110 Corsair CPU Cooler - ASUS P8Z77 V-PRO - GTX 980 Reference - 16GB HyperX Beast 1600MHz - Intel 240GB SSD - HX750i - Corsair 750D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

AMD's Crimson software is killing people's cards?! YIKES! Time to downgrade. :(

EDIT

lol that explains why my card was suddenly so silent this morning...the speed was changed. :ph34r:

EDIT 2

Where are all of their older drivers?

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |