[Patched]AMD drivers locking fan speed to 20% and killing GPUS. WATCH YOUR CARDS

Syntaxvgm

friend and i have 290's no issue

another friend has 7870 and no issue

i have a R9 390, no issues so far....  maybe is just like a few other people said, that some cards are affected.

I have a 280x from MSI and played ~20 hours Elite Dangerous with Crimson.

I have not noticed any problems, but I did not pay any mind to it...

Love the bashing on team red when the same shit happened in 2010 for team green. Looks like I have to inform my AMD clients not to upgrade their drivers until it is 100% fixed regardless which AMD cards are affected.

I know. But in GCN 1.0 there is also Pitcairn and Cape Verde 

At least from my findings so far...

My brother installed the Crimson driver for the HD 7950 (aka R9-280) on our Intel (i5-4690K) system...and did not pick up on this problem. I just ran GPU-Z's render test to heat the card up, and the fan speed automatically increases as GPU temperature / load increase. Fan speed, when left on automatic, have been observed to exceed 40% in my brief testing. I have also conducted the same test on my HD 7970's (aka R9-280X), and the outcome are similar to as the HD 7950.

A friend of mine still has a HD 5850. Since the HD 5000 series is now moved to Legacy support, we can only test it on the 15.7.1 (Crimson Edition Beta) drivers. I may/will update on this once we find out if his HD 5850 is affected by the locked fan speed problem.

EDIT: HD 5850 is unaffected by the bug using 15.7.1 Crimson Beta Drivers.

I may be able to request a test on the Crimson Drivers with a R9-390 (MSI R9-390 Gaming 8GB).

From speculation, the problem only affects certain cards.

For reference:

• HD 7950 is a Sapphire Vapor-X variant. GPU-Z recognizes the GPU as a HD 7900 series
  • One of the HD 7970 is a Sapphire Vapor-X GHz Edition ('Tahiti XT2' core). GPU-Z and drivers recognize the chip as a HD 7900 / R9-200.
  • The second HD 7970 is a Sapphire Dual-X non-GHz Edition (original 'Tahiti XT' core).

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

Hmmm, I had the exact opposite problem. My 390 was stuck at 100% no matter what, even when changing TriXX or Afterburner. 

I've now read all the pages and I'm asking myself...

"Has anyone on this forum had any issues with their card?" 

Everyone posts here saying "I've got the X card and have not had any issue so far...". It's my case also..two cards, two Crimsons, 0 issues. Just who the hell had those problems? Haven't seen any pictures of melting cards yet.

Sort of on topic>>>

Found this on reddit:

As much as I like AMD and their GPUs, I laughed my ass off...

MARS_PROJECT V2 --- RYZEN RIG

Spoiler

CPU: R5 1600 @3.7GHz 1.27V | Cooler: Corsair H80i Stock Fans@900RPM | Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3 | RAM: 8GB DDR4 2933MHz(Vengeance LPX) | GPU: MSI Radeon R9 380 Gaming 4G | Sound Card: Creative SB Z | HDD: 500GB WD Green + 1TB WD Blue | SSD: Samsung 860EVO 250GB  + AMD R3 120GB | PSU: Super Flower Leadex Gold 750W 80+Gold(fully modular) | Case: NZXT  H440 2015   | Display: Dell P2314H | Keyboard: Redragon Yama | Mouse: Logitech G Pro | Headphones: Sennheiser HD-569

to be fair though, If you're running a high end GPU and you're NOT monitoring your temperatures.. what are you doing? it takes nothing to run an OSD with a bit of info like power consumption and thermals

still, AMD screwed up here.. they've got a lot to answer for..

just being a normal consumer? maybe 0.5% play games with OSD.mostly to check FPS. and maybe 0.01% play games with an OSD with more stats. its very annoying to play with an OSD. 

to be fair though, If you're running a high end GPU and you're NOT monitoring your temperatures.. what are you doing? it takes nothing to run an OSD with a bit of info like power consumption and thermals

still, AMD screwed up here.. they've got a lot to answer for..

Most HUDs these days are bad enough, last thing I'd want to do is add an OSD to it ;) You don't pay top dollar to have to baby sit your hardware unless you're still working out your overclock.

http://www.amd.com/en-us/products/graphics

Website inaccessible this time, ddos attack by ragers?

Website works (again) now.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

i don't know what kinda OSD you're running but i run mine in background and call it up whenever i need to with F4. very small, black text, top left corner and out of the way

Well I run one on my keyboard or a more detailed one on a aux screen when I'm tweaking and have a log running in the background so if an issue happens I can pull it up after the fact because lets face it you're not looking at your stats when something actually goes wrong but I know I'm a minority because I enjoy tweaking hardware, no way I'd expect the average Joe to be doing that and nor should they for that matter. IMO having to remember to pull up an OSD to keep tabs on your stats sounds just as annoying as having one on the screen, I know for sure I would always forget to check it regularly enough for it to be useful.

AMD has a hot fix coming today, November 30th. At least that is what they acknowledged.

"The REVISED Companion Cube, v2.1" - "1440p, lock on." Discover it by clicking here.   // Peripherals - Corsair Strafe RGB  + Steelseries Rival

CPU - i7-6700k // Motherboard - ASRock Z170 Extreme 6+ // CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i GTX // Memory - 16GB HyperX Fury DDR4-2133 (2x8GB) // Storage - Samsung 850 EVO 120GB + Seagate Barracuda 1TB // Graphics - Crossfire Sapphire R9 Fury Tri-X // PSU -  EVGA SuperNova G2 850W // Case - Corsair Carbide Air 540 (Steel) // Devices - iPhone 6 Plus, Macbook Pro //

I'm gonna get one of those keyboards actually so i can have a constant display, it can get annyoing

They're definitely handy if you like tweaking your hardware and even just for monitoring RAM/VRAM usage, clocks, etc., sadly it limits your KB choice to the point where I'm probably going to end up building a small standalone display to do the job. There are phone apps that'll do it but then you've gotta remember to turn your phone on and plug it in so the screen doesn't flatten you battery every time you sit down at the computer ;)

Booted up my pc and just had that bug, but stuck on 100% fan speed.

It was ok until yesterday, I switched the manual fan control on and then back off and now the bug is active :c

lets not get ahead of ourselves.... when u compare nvidia and amd drivers in 2015.... 95% of the time amds drivers were much better, more stable, had less issues than nvidia ones. Yes nvidia released more drivers than amd. but they were generaly worse quality then the ones from amd. Just went through nvidia reddit page and nvidia forums and u wouldnt believe how many issues nvidia users are having with their cards and drivers. Amd users have issues aswell but not ass many. The way i see it crimson is an exeption. Every good driver engineer will have bad day someday. (my opinion)

Intel Core i7 7800x @ 5.0 Ghz with 1.305 volts (really good chip), Mesh OC @ 3.3 Ghz, Fractal Design Celsius S36, Asrock X299 Killer SLI/ac, 16 GB Adata XPG Z1 OCed to  3600 Mhz , Aorus  RX 580 XTR 8G, Samsung 950 evo, Win 10 Home - loving it :D

Had a Ryzen before ... but  a bad bios flash killed it :(

MSI GT72S Dominator Pro G - i7 6820HK, 980m SLI, Gsync, 1080p, 16 GB RAM, 2x128 GB SSD + 1TB HDD, Win 10 home

i've got a 270x and crimson works fine for me, its faster and better than CCC has ever been for me

GPU temps are fine and my card did not burn out in a few hours of fallout 4

I make Rainmeter things and other art :D

i don't know what kinda OSD you're running but i run mine in background and call it up whenever i need to with F4. very small, black text, top left corner and out of the way

+1

Finally someone gets it.

@Brinith

i7 7700k @ 4.9ghz | Asus Maximus IX Hero | G.skill 32gb @ 3200 | Gtx 1080 classified | In win 909 | Samsung 960 pro 1tb | WD caviar blue 1tb x3 | Dell u3417w | Corsair H115i | Ducky premier dk9008p (mx reds) | Logitech g900 | Sennheiser hd 800s w/ hdvd 800 | Audioengine a5+ w/ s8

I have a second screen for that stuff (and chat/email etc)

+1

Finally someone gets it.

@Brinith

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

AMD mailed AnandTech to notify them about the fix being released today.

We received an email late last night from AMD stating that the problem has been identified and an update to the drivers will be available at some point today, Monday 30th November.

Read article for more info:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9823/amd-releasing-new-crimson-drivers-for-gpu-fan-issue

So how come cards died? I mean afaik new ones should operate even fanless throttled to some degree and not die.

I noticed myself since my PC shut down couple of times when playing game so later on I did notice fan being low. First I though it was cause of MSI Afterburner in background with new AMD Radeon Crimson drivers. But I fixed it myself though.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

I think it isn't much of a problem that the fans don't spin up to more than 20%.

But what definitly is a problem is that the cards die, which shouldn't happen. These cards should shut theirselves down or decrease their clockspeed before they get damaged. And this feature shouldn't rely on software!

I'm sitting here with my reference 970, with the 3.5GB of full speed VRAM, and the DX12 lies, like

"Yay.....I feel slightly better about my purchase now..... :( "

and don't forget the 8000,200, and 500 days..... on a freaking WHQL  release... lmao

i guess i responded here to quickly. My pc actually started to have problems today... Not a single game would work anymore. They just all crashed to the desktop, couldn't play anything. I also saw the fans were indeed locked but for me they were locked to 36% for some reason. I actually played rocket league most of yesterday with these settings and never noticed the fans not spinning up as they usually do.

Happy to see there's a fix coming... does anyone know if its already here?

I have no signature