Experiences with non-techies

On some Dutch gaming forum and someone was asking for assistance on a gaming build. Starts off with:

"Hey, hey. Right now I am gaming on quad core i2"

Thought this was kinda funny :P

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

It needed to be formally mentioned here:

My sister recently spent 3 hours "trying to install Minecraft" on both of her sons laptops.

How exactly one manage to take so long doing that I still do not know.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

It needed to be formally mentioned here:

My sister recently spent 3 hours "trying to install Minecraft" on both of her sons laptops.

How exactly one manage to take so long doing that I still do not know.

What was she doing :o

My PC Specs: CPU: Core i5 4590 @ stock speeds, GPU: RX 480 8GB, RAM: 16GB DDR3 @1600mhz

Case: Zalman ZM-T4,Motherboard: GigaByte GA-H81M-S2H LGA 1150, HDD/SSD: 2TB Seagate Expansion drive, 1TB Samsung Portable HDD, 160gb Intel SSD, PSU: 550w corsair cxm

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 

That wasn't far off what my expression was like when I'd found out ( :o / :blink: ). As to what it what that she was doing exactly, well I never did quite get to the bottom of it. I find that the best practice when dealing with family and their IT problems is to stay far away and suddenly become very busy and very unavailable. Unless of course you happen to be a sadist that is...

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

Clicked no on the windows alert, probably.

Pentium G3258, R9 280X, Corsair CS600M, Gigabyte GA-H81M-H, 2 Random monitors, a no-name keyboard, a cheap $15 Logitech mouse.

LG G3 Vigor

What light button? I have had my H440 for 4 months and I have no f*cking clue what you guys are talking about. Does the NZXT logo on the PSU shroud light up? I am pretty sure I am being stupid right now, pls 4give :P

top left in the back 

Star Citizen referral codes, to help support your fellow comrades!
UOLTT Discord server, come on over and chat!

i7 4790k/ Bequiet Pure Rock/Asrock h97 PRO4/ 8 GB Crucial TT/ Corsair RM 750/ H-440 Custom/  PNY GT 610

Damn you're like a modular human being. -ThatCoolBlueKidd

Sometimes I see threads...Sometimes I want to link them here but I don't think it would be an appropriate thing to do. All I'm going to say is Gen discussion, the OP and "Worse than a 960".

Sometimes I see threads...Sometimes I want to link them here but I don't think it would be an appropriate thing to do. All I'm going to say is Gen discussion, the OP and "Worse than a 960".

Saw that thread title before I refreshed the page to check for notifications.

When I worked at a moving company I used to set up computer for some of the guys. One guy decided format.exe might be a fun game to play. He was freaking out that he destroyed his computer. 

This was on talk radio from a tech support guy from compaq in the 90's. A woman called to complain, the coffee cup holder is broke. The guy was confused and he asked if shes sure it is part of her pc. She said yes. He asked her to describe it to him. She said it has a button and it says two x and when she pushes the button the coffee cup holder no longer pops out. He had to transfer her call to another tech cause he was in tears.

I think the funniest thing was the number of IT professionals who dont password protect their pc before the movers show up. Thoses stories I am taking with me to the grave:)

I thought this was meant to be a happy place. I was wrong.

attachicon.gif221.gif

hedge chrome homer ram. 

Portrait comes in handy when BurgerBum starts quoting ;)

/jk

fuck you dude. xD

jk

That wasn't far off what my expression was like when I'd found out ( :o / :blink: ). As to what it what that she was doing exactly, well I never did quite get to the bottom of it. I find that the best practice when dealing with family and their IT problems is to stay far away and suddenly become very busy and very unavailable. Unless of course you happen to be a sadist that is...

you mean masochist? 

a sadist enjoys watching pain... helping idiots is literally self harm. 

Watch out for each other. Love everyone and forgive everyone, including yourself. Forgive your anger, forgive your guilt. Your shame. Your sadness. Embrace and open up your love, your joy, your truth, and most especially your heart. 
-Jim Hensen

My sister thought micro computers were made by microsoft...

and super computers are made by Superboner?

Watch out for each other. Love everyone and forgive everyone, including yourself. Forgive your anger, forgive your guilt. Your shame. Your sadness. Embrace and open up your love, your joy, your truth, and most especially your heart. 
-Jim Hensen

Back when I was in school I installed Halo CE to the school server and put links to the files on all the computers and the reaction from the principal (who is super anti-gun by the way) was priceless when she walked into the computer lab and every computer was being manned by a kid playing halo. I was never caught.

Edit: The non-techie part is that they never quite figured out how to uninstall it and I'm pretty sure that it's still lurking on their servers waiting for a fellow techie to discover and relink the files. That will be a glorious day.

Insert Sarcasm / Raging / Bragging / Inspirational Crap Here.

Back when I was in school I installed Halo CE to the school server and put links to the files on all the computers and the reaction from the principal (who is super anti-gun by the way) was priceless when she walked into the computer lab and every computer was being manned by a kid playing halo. I was never caught.

Priceless. 

:)  ;)  :P  :D  :lol:  :ph34r:

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

I have decided to not tell people when i upgrade my computer. Afterall getting this:

http://www.pbtech.co.nz/index.php?z=p&p=VGAAS59985&name=Asus-GT610-1GB-GDDR3-SILENT-PCI-E-video-card--VGAD

Will do me well in what i do for work..... O.o got told spending $350 on a 960 for my PC was "too much"

PC: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X Gigabyte X570 UD Corsair Vengence 32gb 3200MHZ Gigabyte RTX 2070 Intel 512gb boot / Seagate 2tb spinner Windows 10 Corsair 4000D black

Fyi i am Autistic (Aspergers) so sorry for any social mistakes (im mostly okay) If you want to learn more, Just ask! 

I've bought like three LGA775 motherboards for my core 2 duo e8400 because chipsets.

Insert Sarcasm / Raging / Bragging / Inspirational Crap Here.

I used to do this with halo and CS 1.6

Brang a whole new definition to "pool day" on the days of the swimming carnivals :lol:

Scrapyard Build Total Cost: $268AUD

C2Q E8200 | 4 x 1gb DDR2 | GA-EP45-DS3 r1 | Gammax 200 | 320gb 2.5" | 7870LE PCS | Litepower 500w | CISCO Aironet 350

two of my friends recently called me on skype so i could walk them through installing an aio cpu cooler, they fail super hard and one of them thinks that thermal paste is glue so he squirts a shitload on there and FORCES the cooler down on the cpu. (he didnt use any mounting brackets, or well he did but when he pressed the cooler down with all his weigth he bent them to hell and now he is yelling at me bechause i dont know shit about computers and he cant RMA his mobo)

My pc:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/dvcw23 

(Black Glacier)

My server:

Dual xeon x5679 processors, 24gb of ECC memory, Nvidia quadro 295 NVS and 48tb of storage.  (z600

My motherboard has only one sata cable included. Yay!

I have this problem too, I hate how budget mobos don't have more than two cables with them.

My life is consumed by CS:GO, even though I'm not exceptionally good at it.

CPU: AMD A10-5800K | GPU: Gigabyte R9 270 2GB | RAM: 8GB 1333Mhz HyperX Blu | Storage: 120GB Samsung 850 EVO + 1TB WD Caviar Blue | Chassis: NZXT H230 | Mobo: Gigabyte GA-F2A88XM-HD3 | PSU: Corsair CX500 500W | Cooling: CM Hyper 212 EVO | OS: Windows 10
In order of priority: GTX 970 Strix, 2 good 1080p monitors, i5 4690k, MSI Z97 Gaming 5 LGA 1150, a job

I have this problem too, I hate how budget mobos don't have more than two cables with them.

Would you rather everyone paid extra (even if most used say two cables)and you got say four SATA cables?  Remember these are BUDGET boards.

SATA cables are cheap for those that need more than supplied .  Cheapest I have seen on Amazon are 67p ( $1.00) mind you at that price they are probably of just adequate quality so I wouldn't hold out many hopes for them .

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

today did I see someone using both hands to do Ctrl-c Ctrl-v letting go of the mouse and all, I wanted to facepalm so hard at that moment.

CPU: r7 2700x;  GPU: EVGA GTX 980 ti sli; RAM: 16GB DDR4; MoBo: ASUS CH VII HERO x470; PSU: Seasonic Prime 850 Titanium; Case: Be Quiet! Dark Base 900 PRO; SSD: Kingston 120 GB; HDD: 1x 500 GB 1x 2TB 1x 3TB;

My Anime List 300+ completed

The teachers use macbook airs at our school

Our guidance counselor has filled up her 256GB SSD with so much...stuff, that her computer has started to delete the little images for the back buttons, trash icon in the dock, etc. She refuses to delete the many blurry picture stuck on her laptop. She refuses to get an external drive. She is confused as to why she can't download things. 

And worst of all

She got the laptop about a year ago

Yes, a year

Welcome to LTT! Feel free to PM me if you just wanna chat, I love conversation!

If you ever have any audio questions, wether it's software, hardware, or production and theory, feel free to ask me. Odds are I can help you, or get you help. 

two of my friends recently called me on skype so i could walk them through installing an aio cpu cooler, they fail super hard and one of them thinks that thermal paste is glue so he squirts a shitload on there and FORCES the cooler down on the cpu. (he didnt use any mounting brackets, or well he did but when he pressed the cooler down with all his weigth he bent them to hell and now he is yelling at me bechause i dont know shit about computers and he cant RMA his mobo)

Lold so hard xD gg bruh

Welcome to LTT! Feel free to PM me if you just wanna chat, I love conversation!

If you ever have any audio questions, wether it's software, hardware, or production and theory, feel free to ask me. Odds are I can help you, or get you help. 

Didn't know this thread was a thing but here is what happened to me earlier

So earlier my brother asked me to install the Microsoft office suite on his laptop.. I went ahead and did it and then he asked if I could install google docs....

yea... you read that right... then I explained the concept of google to him and now he knows.....

Yea.....

/facepalm