Experiences with non-techies

The teachers use macbook airs at our school

Our guidance counselor has filled up her 256GB SSD with so much...stuff, that her computer has started to delete the little images for the back buttons, trash icon in the dock, etc. She refuses to delete the many blurry picture stuck on her laptop. She refuses to get an external drive. She is confused as to why she can't download things. 

And worst of all

She got the laptop about a year ago

Yes, a year

This is a surprisingly common problem.

Working at a helpdesk I feel this pain on a daily basis

Scrapyard Build Total Cost: $268AUD

C2Q E8200 | 4 x 1gb DDR2 | GA-EP45-DS3 r1 | Gammax 200 | 320gb 2.5" | 7870LE PCS | Litepower 500w | CISCO Aironet 350

yeah. I just bought another one. Thanks asrock!! about 3 days ago (buisness) -=-and got it today. At least it came ear!y. I had to ghetto mount it do to the minimal PSU clearance in the bottom of the case though.

I have this problem too, I hate how budget mobos don't have more than two cables with them.

yeah. I just bought another one. Thanks asrock!! about 3 days ago (buisness) -=-and got it today. At least it came ear!y. I had to ghetto mount it due to the minimal PSU clearance in the bottom of the case though.

I thought I had some money... Oh wait... I spent it all ;(

our schools file server fills up and then the school wonders why none of the network drive based computers will download anything :P pretty funny watching their reactions

My friend is ready to spend 600€ on upgrades, I made him a nice i5, h81, 970, 8gb ram, 200r system but he is leaning towards an used i7 system, didn't remember which one, which gen, which GPU, nothing because its an i7 he can't wait a week for the parts to arrive

Longboarders/ skaters message me!

My friend is ready to spend 600€ on upgrades, I made him a nice i5, h81, 970, 8gb ram, 200r system but he is leaning towards an used i7 system, didn't remember which one, which gen, which GPU, nothing because its an i7 he can't wait a week for the parts to arrive

Probably one of those 'superfast gaming i7' systems that actually only comes with a GT620. I have a friend who bought one of those, still claims I hack 3dmark scores when I beat him by 8k>.

i7 8086k @ 5.3Ghz / 32GB DDR4 Trident Z RGB @ 3733Mhz / Aorus GTX 1080 11Gbps / PG348Q

I asked my friend (who was a fellow PhD student) how his new build was going. He told me that everything seemed to be working fine except he couldn't get anything to show up on his awesome 1440p monitor except "no signal". I asked him about the cable and ports he was using to connect his 770 to the monitor, and he assured me that all that was fine. He thought that maybe the gpu was faulty and was thinking about RMAing it. I kept asking him about the problem over the course of several days, and always the same response. Finally, about a week later, I asked him again and he said it was finally working. I asked him what he'd done to fix it. Obviously, what had happened is that he'd had the hdmi cable plugged into the motherboard I/O hdmi port rather than the one on the gpu...I don't think it's the worst mistake anyone could make, by far, but the fact that it took so long for him to figure it out when I'd told him to check that stuff in the beginning made me facepalm just a bit.

I asked my friend (who was a fellow PhD student) how his new build was going. He told me that everything seemed to be working fine except he couldn't get anything to show up on his awesome 1440p monitor except "no signal". I asked him about the cable and ports he was using to connect his 770 to the monitor, and he assured me that all that was fine. He thought that maybe the gpu was faulty and was thinking about RMAing it. I kept asking him about the problem over the course of several days, and always the same response. Finally, about a week later, I asked him again and he said it was finally working. I asked him what he'd done to fix it. Obviously, what had happened is that he'd had the hdmi cable plugged into the motherboard I/O hdmi port rather than the one on the gpu...I don't think it's the worst mistake anyone could make, by far, but the fact that it took so long for him to figure it out when I'd told him to check that stuff in the beginning made me facepalm just a bit.

At least he noticed his mistake and corrected it by himself.

Never trust my advice. Only take any and all advice from me with a grain of salt. Just a heads up.

At least he noticed his mistake and corrected it by himself.

Exactly. I'm not saying that his was a terrible mistake and he did eventually figure it out. It's just that he didn't listen. If he had, he probably would have figured it out that first night.

Probably one of those 'superfast gaming i7' systems that actually only comes with a GT620. I have a friend who bought one of those, still claims I hack 3dmark scores when I beat him by 8k>.

Maybe. I believe that its not a 8yr old i7, he does have SOME knowledge on this but I'm 80% sure the system I gave him is better

Longboarders/ skaters message me!

Yesterday I was working on a school project with my friend on her Macbook. I looked over her shoulder as she closed a Web page, and I saw her notes app open. Here are the names of some of her notes.

"all passwords"

"social security number"

"credit card numbers"

When I tried to explain to her how bad of a system this is, her response was "well, this is my personal laptop and there are not a lot of people who know the password, so no one will see it"

I facepalmed myself into the stratosphere before rattling off maybe a dozen ways how someone could destroy her life in 10 minutes.

I should mention that this girl is 18 and the #1 valedictorian in my school. One of the most book smart, least street smart people I have ever met.

O.o got told spending $350 on a 960 for my PC was "too much"

It IS too much! You could buy a 970 for 350 US dollars (Unless you're not using US money)

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

Yesterday I was working on a school project with my friend on her Macbook. I looked over her shoulder as she closed a Web page, and I saw her notes app open. Here are the names of some of her notes.

"all passwords"

"social security number"

"credit card numbers"

When I tried to explain to her how bad of a system this is, her response was "well, this is my personal laptop and there are not a lot of people who know the password, so no one will see it"

I facepalmed myself into the stratosphere before rattling off maybe a dozen ways how someone could destroy her life in 10 minutes.

I should mention that this girl is 18 and the #1 valedictorian in my school. One of the most book smart, least street smart people I have ever met.

That moment when you see someone type in their bank account password.

>Do you want Google Chrome to save your password so that everyone and their dog will be able to steal your entire life's savings?

>Yes.

People trust technology too much these days.

._.

AMD A8-5500•••ASUS GTX 660•••MSI MS-7778 Mobo•••2x4GB DDR3 RAM•••CoolerMaster v550 Semi-Modular PSU•••1.5TB HDD•256GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD•••Optical Drive•••Phanteks Enthoo Pro

Can someone compile a top ten list for this thread? Prefereably someone who has been on it quite a while.

Just a guy who peaked at building back in the days of the GTX 980. If you see me here, assume i have technical knowledge akin to a committed hobbyist builder back then. If something's changed, you'll need to tell me(nicely plz). I'm probably asking for help with the modern build scene since I have no clue what's going on.

I have successfully convinced all of the people at my lunch table (8 including me) in school that PC is the most powerful gaming platform. Even though 5/8 of them play on consoles, they still acknowledge the fact that PC is the dominant gaming platform and will continue to be in the future. They don't play on PC simply because they are unable to afford it (building/buying a gaming PC). I have not told them about the magniflorious magic of building their own PC yet, I will let them find that out for themselves. Thank you all, have a good day.

I have successfully convinced all of the people at my lunch table (8 including me) in school that PC is the most powerful gaming platform. Even though 5/8 of them play on consoles, they still acknowledge the fact that PC is the dominant gaming platform and will continue to be in the future. They don't play on PC simply because they are unable to afford it (building/buying a gaming PC). I have not told them about the magniflorious magic of building their own PC yet, I will let them find that out for themselves. Thank you all, have a good day.

Inb4scrapyardbuild.

I sold my last custom build and couldnt afford to buy new parts, so i spent the same amount as you would for a console :P

Scrapyard Build Total Cost: $268AUD

C2Q E8200 | 4 x 1gb DDR2 | GA-EP45-DS3 r1 | Gammax 200 | 320gb 2.5" | 7870LE PCS | Litepower 500w | CISCO Aironet 350

Makes u feel like you accomplished something, and u feel like u started having a huge nerdgasm as soon u see ur motherboards posted.

Anyways, I sometimes have to let out some tech talk at my table. They look at men like wut DA fuq just happened. Have one ipod fanboy, one windows phone master race guy. Any ideas I can get them to see the light of lord gaben?

If only people at my school would see the light.

Sorry if this is a bit off-topic but I found this hilarious website called hollywood technical jargon generator.

http://shinytoylabs.com/jargon/

Best ones:

"If we index the array, we can get to the PCI bus through the redundant SMS sensor!"

"The CSS panel is down, override the 1080p system so we can program the SMS microchip!"

"Try to back up the ADP panel, maybe it will copy the 1080p driver!"

Dell Inspiron 7520 15R: Cpu: Intel Core i7 3612QM @2.10Ghz, Ram: 8GB DDR3 1600MHZ, Storage: 1TB 5400RPM HDD, Os: WIndows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit EP1;

Lenovo Yoga 11e Chromebook: Cpu: Intel Celeron N2930 @1.83Ghz, Ram: 8GB DDR3L 1333MHZ, Storage: 16GB eMMC, Os: Google Chrome Os;

"If we index the array, we can get to the PCI bus through the redundant SMS sensor!"

"The CSS panel is down, override the 1080p system so we can program the SMS microchip!"

"Try to back up the ADP panel, maybe it will copy the 1080p driver!"

Sounds like when they try and get 'technical' on some procedural cop show.

Pet hate is when they say something about IP address and quote a string of numbers one/all of which are over 255

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

It IS too much! You could buy a 970 for 350 US dollars (Unless you're not using US money)

New Zealand dollars.

PC: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X Gigabyte X570 UD Corsair Vengence 32gb 3200MHZ Gigabyte RTX 2070 Intel 512gb boot / Seagate 2tb spinner Windows 10 Corsair 4000D black

Fyi i am Autistic (Aspergers) so sorry for any social mistakes (im mostly okay) If you want to learn more, Just ask!