Experiences with non-techies

So my friend who is a software guy who programs in Unity and blender but doesn't know about hardware very much so I taught him the most of what he knows but he does watch some informational tech videos every now and then....

*COUGH*

Linus Tech Tips...

So he asks me a few questions and makes comments every now and then...

I was at a birthday party and we were playing on a XBOX 360 and playing Cod B1 and his brother said that the game looks so bad.. and my software friend said "Because there is no  "anti-lassing" NOT anti aliasing "anti lassing".....

Me: Peasant.

So we were talking about GPU's while kayaking and he said he might buy a 660 and I said that is quite old and he said "yeah it's a kehler GPU too.." Kehler???? KEPLER DAMNIT.

So my friend who is a software guy who programs in Unity and blender but doesn't know about hardware very much so I taught him the most of what he knows but he does watch some informational tech videos every now and then....

*COUGH*

Linus Tech Tips...

So he asks me a few questions and makes comments every now and then...

I was at a birthday party and we were playing on a XBOX 360 and playing Cod B1 and his brother said that the game looks so bad.. and my software friend said "Because there is no  "anti-lassing" NOT anti aliasing "anti lassing".....

Me: Peasant.

So we were talking about GPU's while kayaking and he said he might buy a 660 and I said that is quite old and he said "yeah it's a kehler GPU too.." Kehler???? KEPLER DAMNIT.

Don't you know, the Kehler GPU was a limited edition GPU made to celebrate Hellen Keller. It featured advanced braille capabilities for compatible monitors

J5Qh1XY.jpg

*Looks at 60+ tabs open in Chrome* ... Well.. Not like it isn't understandable... :wacko:

I heard somewhere that for every tab I have open, BF4 gets another FPS.

That's how this works, right?

Just a guy who peaked at building back in the days of the GTX 980. If you see me here, assume i have technical knowledge akin to a committed hobbyist builder back then. If something's changed, you'll need to tell me(nicely plz). I'm probably asking for help with the modern build scene since I have no clue what's going on.

Don't you know, the Kehler GPU was a limited edition GPU made to celebrate Hellen Keller. It featured advanced braille capabilities for compatible monitors

J5Qh1XY.jpg

Bruh that would be so cool

Just a guy who peaked at building back in the days of the GTX 980. If you see me here, assume i have technical knowledge akin to a committed hobbyist builder back then. If something's changed, you'll need to tell me(nicely plz). I'm probably asking for help with the modern build scene since I have no clue what's going on.

A couple of weeks ago I had a look at my sister's Surface 3, since she wanted me to install adobe flash player for her.

So I opened it up, went to the adobe site and was a bit confused by all the ads there that I did not remember. Especially since she had adblock plus installed. So I downloaded the thing and went to look at some other sites to investigate further. Even google had these weird ads that were covering half her screen. I went to look at the add-ons she had installed, did not want to mess with them at first since well maybe she actually uses these things. I asked her, "Hey what's this weird thing that claims to be useful?". She didn't even know about the addons page so I came to the conclusion that she had installed some form of ad/crap/bloatware. Removed it and voila! All the ads gone.

Now here is the interesting part:

She already had like 14 flash player installers in her downloads directory. I noticed this since I decided to run an anti-virus scan and it recognized 7(!) of these as threats. My dad then told me that after he had installed AVG on the computer it had found somewhere in the vicinity of 50 threats.

I am not even surprised anymore at why apple and co are trying to limit the things users can install.

Guy at my school decides to claim that a console is more powerful than a PC. NOT IN MY HOUSE. after the classical back and forth like you might imagine, I pull the victorious argument by refrencing the video when linus underclocked a five-year-old graphics card to get console performance. Flustered, he yells, "well then he needs to get a better T.V.!" not speaking with him for a while... the stupid is too much.

Guy at my school decides to claim that a console is more powerful than a PC. NOT IN MY HOUSE. after the classical back and forth like you might imagine, I pull the victorious argument by refrencing the video when linus underclocked a five-year-old graphics card to get console performance. Flustered, he yells, "well then he needs to get a better T.V.!" not speaking with him for a while... the stupid is too much.

I hope he feels the pain on the new verbal asshole you tore him.

I hope he feels the pain on the new verbal asshole you tore him.

You shoulda been there. Argument was so intense. Can't recreate on Ltt.

I hope he feels the pain on the new verbal assholeS you tore him.

Was doing some research for a school project and found this article. http://energy.gov/energysaver/articles/energy-efficient-computer-use

There is a freakin' lapotop with android.... DAFUQ :angry:

A friend of mine asked why his PC was so Slow.... HE HAD LIKE 20 FOLDERS ON THE DESKTOP.... So, I asked him if I could format his PC (It was more an restore...)...yea... took like 16-18 HOURS to re-image that thing... (it had an Intel Core 2 Duo SU7300 and an nVidia G210M)

[spoiler=My PC]

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700K | COOLER: Corsair H105 | MOBO: ASUS Z170i Gaming Pro AC | RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 16GB 2400MHz | GPU: EVGA GTX 980 Classified | CASE: BitFenix Prodigy | SSD: Samsung 950 Pro 512GB | PSU: XFX XTR 650W [spoiler= Le Other Stuff] Monitor: BenQ XL2411Z | Keyboard: Ozone Strike Pro | Mouse: A4 Tech X7 F4 | MousePad: Ozone

Spoiler
Spoiler

PlayStation 2 | PSP 2000 | Game Boy Color | Nintendo DS Lite | Nintendo 3DS | Wii

Spoiler

Sony Xperia J (Why u so bad D:) | iPod 4th gen | iPhone 4 | Yarvik Xenta 13c (3muchchrome5her)

Spoiler
Spoiler

Pentium B980 | 500GB WD Blue | Intel HD Graphixxx | 4Gegabeytes of REHAM

Current OS: MSX 10.0 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)Ilikethelennyfaceyouknow( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Windows Password Reset Guide

There is a freakin' lapotop with android.... DAFUQ :angry:

A friend of mine asked why his PC was so Slow.... HE HAD LIKE 20 FOLDERS ON THE DESKTOP.... So, I asked him if I could format his PC (It was more an restore...)...yea... took like 16-18 HOURS to re-image that thing... (it had an Intel Core 2 Duo SU7300 and an nVidia G210M)

Uh, I don't think the number of stuff you have on your desktop matters. Maybe it's just shitty system management and shitty hardware

When my ex-girlfriend wanted a Macbook (she was at an art-school, and well the people there tend to like Apple in their schools) she asked me what she should buy.

I showed her the price / performance ratio of Apple laptops compared to other brands.

I then ordered a Lenovo Yoga 13 (toucschreen laptop with tablet mode and decent hardware) and installed a VM with MacOSX on it cause I could not convince her that photoshop and all the other programs run on windows too. She then went to school and all the collegues there were like "OMG you got a Apple laptop with touch screen" (Note that apple has no laptops with touschreens). And furthermore that laptop was cheaper than any comparable (hardware wise) apple laptop.

Well in the end she didnt even need the VM, she used solely windows ^^

I guess I just love to bash apple :P

My beast (PC):

• ASUS R.O.G. Rampage IV Black Edition, X79, LGA2011, AC4
  • 2x ASUS Fury X
  • Intel Core i7 4930K BOX (LGA 2011, 3.40GHz) OC @4.4GHz
  • Corsair H100i, CPU Cooler (240mm)
  • Samsung SSD 830 Series (512GB)
  • Samsung SSD 850 Pro 1TB
  • Western Digital 512GB HDD
  • TridentX 4x 8GB 2400MHz
  • Corsair Obsidian 900D

Uh, I don't think the number of stuff you have on your desktop matters. Maybe it's just shitty system management and shitty hardware

It does. Takes less time to boot with less stuff in the desktop.

People are amazed when I tell them that you can get Office for Mac. Not that you would ever want to but you can. Anyways, the next part is not really a non-techie story, but my dad comes home one day from work and is like yeah they don't want this anymore because they updated and gave it to me. It was an enterprise disc for office 2007 (My favorite version btw) and then I realized the best part the key was good for unlimited installs. Lets just say every computer of mine has office 2007 now.

Rich Purnell Is A Steely-Eyed Missile Man

What? Why would that matter? Basically just a folder on the C drive, isn't it?

Case: Meatbag, humanoid - APU: Human Brain version 1.53 (stock clock) - Storage: 100TB SND (Squishy Neuron Drive) - PSU: a combined 500W of Mitochondrial cells - Optical Drives: 2 Oculi, with corrective lenses.

Ja, but loading the icons... Actually takes quite a while.

Ja, but loading the icons... Actually takes quite a while.

Not much with a modern GPU and HDD.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

No it doesn't actually make a difference...

it's explorer.exe that shows the 'desktop' as you know it, which is actually a blank screen that shows any contents of the users "desktop" and "public desktop" folders.

That'd be like saying "I filled my documents with my iTunes library now my computer is slow turning on", which isnt correct

Scrapyard Build Total Cost: $268AUD

C2Q E8200 | 4 x 1gb DDR2 | GA-EP45-DS3 r1 | Gammax 200 | 320gb 2.5" | 7870LE PCS | Litepower 500w | CISCO Aironet 350

a shortcut, to said folder. 

Watch out for each other. Love everyone and forgive everyone, including yourself. Forgive your anger, forgive your guilt. Your shame. Your sadness. Embrace and open up your love, your joy, your truth, and most especially your heart. 
-Jim Hensen

Not much with a modern GPU and HDD.

More less hard drive. Everything is stored, including shortcuts. So of course its probably stored in random places. So the poor hard drive head has to move through all parts of the platter, so that takes a lot of time. An SSD isn't limited to moving platters however, so it can read data with no issues do to location.

I thought I had some money... Oh wait... I spent it all ;(

People are amazed when I tell them that you can get Office for Mac. Not that you would ever want to but you can. Anyways, the next part is not really a non-techie story, but my dad comes home one day from work and is like yeah they don't want this anymore because they updated and gave it to me. It was an enterprise disc for office 2007 (My favorite version btw) and then I realized the best part the key was good for unlimited installs. Lets just say every computer of mine has office 2007 now.

uuuh, may I get a key?

My mom doesn't know that you can double tap to wake up a zenfone 2 and was complaining to me about having to reach up to wake it up all the time. It's on you asus!

Really? The more you know...