Experiences with non-techies

This made me want to smash my face into a brick wall.

what him or me?

My pc:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/dvcw23 

(Black Glacier)

My server:

Dual xeon x5679 processors, 24gb of ECC memory, Nvidia quadro 295 NVS and 48tb of storage.  (z600

Me : "You play gta v?"

Non techie : "yeas, but on low settings"

Me : "Ohh, what graphics card do you have?"

Non techie : "I have an Nvidia GTX"

Me : *Facepalm*

These are the people you can sell a used 7950 too for 200$ if you talk it up enough.

Because knowing there are people that stupid in the world makes me want to live in it a litle less. 

Because knowing there are people that stupid in the world makes me want to live in it a litle less. 

ohhhh

ok lol

My pc:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/dvcw23 

(Black Glacier)

My server:

Dual xeon x5679 processors, 24gb of ECC memory, Nvidia quadro 295 NVS and 48tb of storage.  (z600

I was at a friend's house yesterday and he wanted to show me a YouTube video. I watched in horror as his computer took 20 seconds to register him pausing the video. Turns out his dad keeps telling him that he just needs to delete stuff off his computer to make it faster even though the thing is running a 7 year old CPU. I don't think his dad understands thermal degradation of a processor over time even though he has worked with computers for years.

I've built 3 PC's, but none for myself... In fact, I'm using an iMac that my dad bought for me as my desktop. Awkward...

Please don't say "SSD drive." By doing so, you are literally saying "Solid State Drive Drive" and causing my brain cells to commit suicide. The same applies to HDD (Hard Disk Drive) and PCIe (Peripheral Component Interconnect Express).

I was at a friend's house yesterday and he wanted to show me a YouTube video. I watched in horror as his computer took 20 seconds to register him pausing the video. Turns out his dad keeps telling him that he just needs to delete stuff off his computer to make it faster even though the thing is running a 7 year old CPU. I don't think his dad understands thermal degradation of a processor over time even though he has worked with computers for years.

Or he just has a 7 year old CPU.

Pentium G3258, R9 280X, Corsair CS600M, Gigabyte GA-H81M-H, 2 Random monitors, a no-name keyboard, a cheap $15 Logitech mouse.

LG G3 Vigor

my friend was going to buy pc parts and i was going to build him a pc (has been the plan for a year now, all that was left was to see how much money he could save up), and when he asks his dad to exchange cash for a transfer so that he could buy parts for a pc he is going to get built for him his father forces him to buy an asus "gaming" pc with an i7 3gb ddr3 unlisted gpu specs and a 250w asus/weird name psu. (he spent 2000ish us dollars on that junk when he could  have gotten much more)

That's horrible.

fZA5owF.jpg

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler

my friend was going to buy pc parts and i was going to build him a pc (has been the plan for a year now, all that was left was to see how much money he could save up), and when he asks his dad to exchange cash for a transfer so that he could buy parts for a pc he is going to get built for him his father forces him to buy an asus "gaming" pc with an i7 3gb ddr3 unlisted gpu specs and a 250w asus/weird name psu. (he spent 2000ish us dollars on that junk when he could  have gotten much more)

I thought this was meant to be a happy place. I was wrong.

post-189712-0-69851500-1432822870.gif

[spoiler=REDWING]  REDWING   | Custom Hard Line Water Cooling Loop   |   Intel i7-4790K @ 4.7Ghz   |   Asus Maximus VII Ranger   |   Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR3-2400 2x8GB   |   2 x Gigabyte GTX970 G1 Gaming (SLI)   |   Corsair AX860i   |   Samsung 850 Pro 512GB   |   Corsair Obsidian 750D   |   Corsair K95 RGB & M65 RGB   |   Samsung SyncMaster S27B370

Project Redwing Build Log

[spoiler=ZedNAS] 'ZedNAS' Home NAS Build   |   Intel Xeon E3 1231 v3   |   ASRock Rack E3C224D4I   |   Kingston KVR16E11/8I 2x8GB   |   Corsair HX750   |   6 x HGST Deskstar NAS 4TB 7200RPM HDD   |   Fractal Design Node 304 mITX Black   |   FreeNAS w/ PleX   |   ZFS Raid-Z2 (16TB Effective)   |

wow... just wow...

I was having a skype chat with my friend yesterday and he asked me how much ram my setup had, I just told him I had 16gb and that it was fine, and he said "aha, I have yet to find someone with more ram than me" So I proceeded to ask him and he said he had 64gb on his laptop, he said he and his dad built his laptop, and he said that his dad "works for this kinda shit, trust me".

I then asked him to list his specs, to which he hastily started blurting out "uh, killer e2200, uhhhh sound blaster, uhhhhh GTX 850, 1tb ssd with a 1tb hdd and some cooler boost button", I assumed that he used an msi barebones laptop case to which he nervously replied "yea".

So I asked him what cpu he had, to which he replied after a few seconds, "uhhh 17 (seventeen, seven fucking teen), no wait, i7", he then laughed it off (I presume he was just reading the stuff off the stickers on his laptop). He also stated that "I soldered shit together when i built the laptop with my dad". After I asked him to send a screenshot of his specs on cpu-z and gpu-z etc, he said "ey man don't distract me, im watchin ze youtubes, ill do it later". I haven't gotten a response after an entire day.

The smell of bullshit was so strong, I could feel it in my lungs. Seriously though, who pairs a 1tb ssd with a gtx 850 and 64 fucking gigabytes of ram (do laptop ram sticks even go up to that capacity without costing like $1000)? He said he doesn't do any content creation, only steam games, so this made no sense whatsoever.

I don't mind educating people who genuinely want to know more about computers, but self entitled assholes who believe that they know everything and have wads of cash to spend on the most unnecessary shit are the real scum of the earth.

I'm sure no one will see this at almost 800 pages, but if you're on a marathon streak like I am, I congratulate you for getting this far

almost done, thanks

Insert Sarcasm / Raging / Bragging / Inspirational Crap Here.

Family and I walk into restaurant with unusually large TVs. Bro says, "I bet they use DirecTV". When I asked why, he said "because DirecTV usually has big screens".

Just a guy who peaked at building back in the days of the GTX 980. If you see me here, assume i have technical knowledge akin to a committed hobbyist builder back then. If something's changed, you'll need to tell me(nicely plz). I'm probably asking for help with the modern build scene since I have no clue what's going on.

Doing my first actual build right now, but did an experimental "first build" on my dad's old Windows 2000/pentium machine. Took out assist and put it back together. Turned it on by bridging with screwdriver, didn't know how to turn it off. Tried bridging different pins, despite already bring a member of this forum. DDZZZT! sparks flew, and it never worked again. Saved the old PATA hard drive, it wasn't plugged in. So I can get a PATA to SATA adapter, and recover data.

#themoreyouknow

Just a guy who peaked at building back in the days of the GTX 980. If you see me here, assume i have technical knowledge akin to a committed hobbyist builder back then. If something's changed, you'll need to tell me(nicely plz). I'm probably asking for help with the modern build scene since I have no clue what's going on.

Doing my first actual build right now, but did an experimental "first build" on my dad's old Windows 2000/pentium machine. Took out assist and put it back together. Turned it on by bridging with screwdriver, didn't know how to turn it off. Tried bridging different pins, despite already bring a member of this forum. DDZZZT! sparks flew, and it never worked again. Saved the old PATA hard drive, it wasn't plugged in. So I can get a PATA to SATA adapter, and recover data.

#themoreyouknow

When I did my first build I had evrything installed and tried booting it up, didn't boot so I spent half an hour disassembling and reassembling it only to find I forgot to plug in the 12v power. biggest facepalm

When I did my first build I had evrything installed and tried booting it up, didn't boot so I spent half an hour disassembling and reassembling it only to find I forgot to plug in the 12v power. biggest facepalm

Doesn't everyone so this? I think imma do it on purpose, just to join the club.

Don't worry, my friends flame the fuck out of me for 3 monitors.. And seeing one is in portrait...

"3 monitors is completely fucking pointless," "Having that many monitors is bullshit and wasting a monitor," "Why would you want portrait? Are you a lazy fuck who doesn't feel like scrolling? It makes no fucking sense," "Way to make a 3rd monitor useless and wasteful..."

When I had to use my 650ti I was back to 2 and my friends asked, "How is 2 monitors?" I replied with, "It's doable, but I ran out of room..." and he replied with, "Bullshit.."

They also say me overclocking my Strix killed it... It was the fucking power supply... Ignorant people irritate the fuck out of me...

WcxdkCF.jpg

My HTC One (M7 of course...) Doesn't always understand what focusing is when I tell it.

Portrait comes in handy when BurgerBum starts quoting ;)

/jk

one day when I first got my H-440 I accidentally pushed the button all the way through, and when i came back the next time i forgot and was like "wasn't there supposed to be a light button there?"

What light button? I have had my H440 for 4 months and I have no f*cking clue what you guys are talking about. Does the NZXT logo on the PSU shroud light up? I am pretty sure I am being stupid right now, pls 4give :P

Look at my shiny. The logo lights up

Got another guys, thankfully I personally didn't have this interaction, my coworker was talking to her dad.

"Why do you use Internet Explorer?" -coworker

"I don't, I use Bing." -her dad

When she told me he said that my heart hurt for a minute lol

"Ghost"

Intel i5-4690k 4.6 GHz 1.25v | NZXT Kraken x61 | Asus Z97-AR | 2x8GB Kingston HyperX Fury 1866 MHz | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW DT 2050 MHz

NZXT h440 White | EVGA SuperNOVA 850 GS | 2x Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB + Seagate Barracuda 2TB  |Asus VG248QE  | Win 10

Got another guys, thankfully I personally didn't have this interaction, my coworker was talking to her dad.

"Why do you use Internet Explorer?" -coworker

"I don't, I use Bing." -her dad

When she told me he said that my heart hurt for a minute lol

Some people don't know what a browser is.  Tell your Co-Worker to tell her Dad that he can probably get a free course somewhere explaining the basics of the internet, plugins and how you access it.

Over here you can get a free course teaching you about search engines (how they work and function, what functions you can use to do certain things), what browsers are, what plugins there are, how to use Word, Powerpoint and Excel effectively and how the internet works (servers and clients). 

Because luckily you actually can, in fact anyone tell any non-techie this and try to get the world updated to handle modern technology better.  Not everyone is born for technology, however no matter what you can learn to use it.  And its important to these days. 

In my year 11 (middle of high school) computer science class we have to write a website in a term, and also build a computer, get it ripped apart and ruined and we have to fix it. 

Plus we also get free opportunities to get CCNA certifications, which I'm already doing some Cisco ones.

Some people don't know what a browser is.  Tell your Co-Worker to tell her Dad that he can probably get a free course somewhere explaining the basics of the internet, plugins and how you access it.

Over here you can get a free course teaching you about search engines (how they work and function, what functions you can use to do certain things), what browsers are, what plugins there are, how to use Word, Powerpoint and Excel effectively and how the internet works (servers and clients). 

Because luckily you actually can, in fact anyone tell any non-techie this and try to get the world updated to handle modern technology better.  Not everyone is born for technology, however no matter what you can learn to use it.  And its important to these days. 

In my year 11 (middle of high school) computer science class we have to write a website in a term, and also build a computer, get it ripped apart and ruined and we have to fix it. 

Plus we also get free opportunities to get CCNA certifications, which I'm already doing some Cisco ones.

This sounds bomb. Why didn't I have classes like this? I might have realized I'm a tech nerd sooner.

That sounds awesome.

Another story, I was working on a project for Language Arts/writing/English. It was taking a long time, so my mom accused me of, "Playing games on the other computer." I have the only desktop in my family, and it has two monitors.

Pentium G3258, R9 280X, Corsair CS600M, Gigabyte GA-H81M-H, 2 Random monitors, a no-name keyboard, a cheap $15 Logitech mouse.

LG G3 Vigor

On some Dutch gaming forum and someone was asking for assistance on a gaming build. Starts off with:

"Hey, hey. Right now I am gaming on quad core i2"

Thought this was kinda funny :P

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/