Experiences with non-techies

2 Customers that made my day today so far:

"Hello, I am phoning regarding my Smartcard, it isn't wor.... Oh wait... It's working now... THANKSSSS Byeee!

Me: "Anything else I can do for you *NAME*?"

Customer: "Yeah actually, you can come do my ironing!"

I'm going to put a link to my PC specs which actually aren't my PC specs and I cry myself to sleep everyday so I can have these PC specs but I can't afford these PC specs so PC specs PC specs PC specs PC specs PC specs PC specs.

Customer: "Yeah actually, you can come do my ironing!"[

Well, did you? ;p 

Or was it this kind of ironing. (look at his fingers...)

444bd0a49bec9ac9d26c140be5adb30d.jpg?ito

I don't do signatures.

Well, did you? ;p 

Or was it this kind of ironing. (look at his fingers...)

*These two fingers scare all the ladies*

Mate, I was like "OH hell nooo...",

She said bye like 12 times

I'm going to put a link to my PC specs which actually aren't my PC specs and I cry myself to sleep everyday so I can have these PC specs but I can't afford these PC specs so PC specs PC specs PC specs PC specs PC specs PC specs.

Was helping my two "friends" assembling a starter-build (not buy the parts obviously) and they had purchased a Rampage IV Extreme, GTX 780 and a 3960X for gaming league of legends and watch movies.... Literally nothing else... 

Okay, when I had made my peace with the weird parts for their needs one of them starting putting it together. This guy is one of those "I know it all"-IT kinda guys who will not listen to reason... He tried to explain to me that their new GTX 780 would work perfectly in the PCIe slot alone for benching, without any PCI 6/8 pin power connectors, explaining to me that you could easily get a high power delivery through the PCI lanes..... He later realized he was terribly wrong when they ended up getting GPU BSODs left and right until they did as I told them.  :rolleyes:

That was one cringe moment for sure...

Customer: "Yeah actually, you can come do my ironing!"

It's an innuendo. "oh, come do my ironing, baby" "oh yeah honey, I'll iron your shirts any time"

Just a guy who peaked at building back in the days of the GTX 980. If you see me here, assume i have technical knowledge akin to a committed hobbyist builder back then. If something's changed, you'll need to tell me(nicely plz). I'm probably asking for help with the modern build scene since I have no clue what's going on.

Was helping my two "friends" assembling a starter-build (not buy the parts obviously) and they had purchased a Rampage IV Extreme, GTX 780 and a 3960X for gaming league of legends and watch movies.... Literally nothing else... 

Okay, when I had made my peace with the weird parts for their needs one of them starting putting it together. This guy is one of those "I know it all"-IT kinda guys who will not listen to reason... He tried to explain to me that their new GTX 780 would work perfectly in the PCIe slot alone for benching, without any PCI 6/8 pin power connectors, explaining to me that you could easily get a high power delivery through the PCI lanes..... He later realized he was terribly wrong when they ended up getting GPU BSODs left and right until they did as I told them.  :rolleyes:

That was one cringe moment for sure...

Surprised that the machine even booted without power connectors to the GPU.

New to Star Citizen? Look no further!

It's an innuendo. "oh, come do my ironing, baby" "oh yeah honey, I'll iron your shirts any time"

Iron her shirt while she is wearing it, haha

- Hey, Ketcchup, I want a new PC and I want to play LoL on it!

- Okay, look, you can buy this custom PC with this APU and this MB and this ram and etc...., I laso included the assembling in the setup so you don't have to do anything, just boot it up.

- Nice!! It will run much better than my current pentium 4 right?

- Yea, much better.

1 week later..

-HEY I finally bought this laptop.

- * looks at the paper* "Celeron N2830 2GB RAM" - WTF did you just do...

- WELL ITS NEW SO WILL RUN BETTER RIGHT??

AMD 860K @ 4.3GHz ; Kingston HyperX Fury 2400MHz ; Asus A88XM-Plus ; Sapphire R9 270X 2GB ; 600W Tacens Radix VII AG 80+Silver  ; Cooler Master TX3 Evo

- Hey, Ketcchup, I want a new PC and I want to play LoL on it!

- Okay, look, you can buy this custom PC with this APU and this MB and this ram and etc...., I laso included the assembling in the setup so you don't have to do anything, just boot it up.

- Nice!! It will run much better than my current pentium 4 right?

- Yea, much better.

1 week later..

-HEY I finally bought this laptop.

- * looks at the paper* "Celeron N2830 2GB RAM" - WTF did you just do...

- WELL ITS NEW SO WILL RUN BETTER RIGHT??

It will run better... at least that's what I experienced firsthand...

(from a P4 3.2GHz HT laptop to a P6100(older N2830 equivalent))...

Surprised that the machine even booted without power connectors to the GPU.

Around 70w is accessible from the PCIe slots so I guess the card was just operating under its bare minimums ^^

It will run better... at least that's what I experienced firsthand...

(from a P4 3.2GHz HT laptop to a P6100(older N2830 equivalent))...

Yeah obviously it's better than an old p4, but now he is pissed off because he can't play LoL fluid, and it's even worse considering he could have got an unlocked A6 (going high freqs) with 8GB RAM

AMD 860K @ 4.3GHz ; Kingston HyperX Fury 2400MHz ; Asus A88XM-Plus ; Sapphire R9 270X 2GB ; 600W Tacens Radix VII AG 80+Silver  ; Cooler Master TX3 Evo

*These two fingers scare all the ladies*

Mate, I was like "OH hell nooo...",

She said bye like 12 times

Haha  :lol: Should have asked her if she wanted.... well.... nevermind  ;)

seal2.jpg

I don't do signatures.

today did I see someone using both hands to do Ctrl-c Ctrl-v letting go of the mouse and all, I wanted to facepalm so hard at that moment.

If you don't want rsi you should be using the Ctrl key on the opposite side to the letter key you're pressing (it's the reason why keyboards have two shift keys - you press the opposite key and that way you don't contort your hand and damage it). That said, it's a lot easier to do it one-handed and I still do that, though I probably shouldn't since my left hand and writs does tend to hurt from time to time.

"the police used to track my dad by his phone gps, they used to turn it on without him knowing and pull him over all the time".

Because that was possible 10 years ago, and because they are allowed to do that.

Explaining IT ethics to someone is an even more PITA than explaining the technical side to things...

Scrapyard Build Total Cost: $268AUD

C2Q E8200 | 4 x 1gb DDR2 | GA-EP45-DS3 r1 | Gammax 200 | 320gb 2.5" | 7870LE PCS | Litepower 500w | CISCO Aironet 350

So my friend just bought this and said it was a good deal because it was on sale for 100$ off.

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX54327

I would 'almost' buy this just for the case. To bad it wasn't bigger.

**edit**

But yeah that makes me want to cry tho.  :blink:

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

I cried because he could buy something like this at the same place let alone build his own system.

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX55667

Prebuild system that doesn't use an i7 ? Wow, that's a new one.

INB4 everybody bury me in links to prebuilds with i5's  :D

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler

Well, whenever someone I know gets hacked or gets a virus I use the placebo effect, so to calm them down here's what I do.  1. Bring up a good virus scanner in safe mood and do what I should do to remove it though I minimize it. 2.  Placebo effect=bringing up the command prompt then make it look super technical, and tell them I'm revenge hacking for them.  Just for the laugh. Even if it just a virus.  It's funny how seriously interested they get in it.  Really I'm just typing gibberish into the command prompt.  xD

Epic.

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Maybe its just me, but I find it hilarious to play around with my mom pretending I'm an elite hacker. So, using the Chrome, Show Clip Inspector feature, I edited the text on my grades. On my grades their is a big header at the top saying "Welcome _____________" I would change my name to someone in my grade and claim I had hacked into their grade book. Wanting to go bigger, though, I went to the Apple website and started changing the text to things like "Apple sucks", "Don't Buy Apple!". At this point my mom started freaking out. Her reaction of "I'm telling your father" was priceless.

Maybe its just me, but I find it hilarious to play around with my mom pretending I'm an elite hacker. So, using the Chrome, Show Clip Inspector feature, I edited the text on my grades. On my grades their is a big header at the top saying "Welcome _____________" I would change my name to someone in my grade and claim I had hacked into their grade book. Wanting to go bigger, though, I went to the Apple website and started changing the text to things like "Apple sucks", "Don't Buy Apple!". At this point my mom started freaking out. Her reaction of "I'm telling your father" was priceless.

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  B)

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Aight, so the other day I was in a skype call with one on my friends and we got on the topic of computers and he decided to go to his dads office computer and pull the stick of RAM out... He then attempts to put it back in and he gets really confused to why it's not booting up, i tell him to look it it again, he then tips the pc up on it's side and pushes down with a bit of force trying to get it to click but then he realises he put in between the two slots... He fixes his mistake and then somehow it boots... Just.. How.  

CPU Intel Core i7-4790K  | Motherboard Asus Sabertooth z97 Mark 1 | RAM Corsair Dominator Platinum 16gb 1866mhz | GPU EVGA GeForce GTX 980 w/ ACX 2.0 | Case Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window | Storage Western Digital BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM + Samsung 840 EVO 250GB |  PSU Corsiar RM750 | Display(s) Some Acer Things | Cooling Corsair H100i + 5x Noctua NF-F12 industrial 120mm fans(they are freaking load) | Keyboard Corsair Vengeance K95 |  Mouse Logitech G502 | Sound Audio-Technica AD900x + 02+ODAC +AT2020 | OS Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro 

Aight, so the other day I was in a skype call with one on my friends and we got on the topic of computers and he decided to go to his dads office computer and pull the stick of RAM out... He then attempts to put it back in and he gets really confused to why it's not booting up, i tell him to look it it again, he then tips the pc up on it's side and pushes down with a bit of force trying to get it to click but then he realises he put in between the two slots... He fixes his mistake and then somehow it boots... Just.. How.

RAM DIMMs pins really can't bend. As they are just contact metal, not socket pins, which are extremely easy to bend.

I thought I had some money... Oh wait... I spent it all ;(

My experiences are mostly rage inducing, luckily most of the time I can keep it in (except for friends :P they get the full whine)

Deleted code is debugged code.

Well, whenever someone I know gets hacked or gets a virus I use the placebo effect, so to calm them down here's what I do. 1. Bring up a good virus scanner in safe mood and do what I should do to remove it though I minimize it. 2. Placebo effect=bringing up the command prompt then make it look super technical, and tell them I'm revenge hacking for them. Just for the laugh. Even if it's just a virus. It's funny how seriously interested they get in it. Really I'm just typing gibberish into the command prompt. xD

Geektyper.com

Just a guy who peaked at building back in the days of the GTX 980. If you see me here, assume i have technical knowledge akin to a committed hobbyist builder back then. If something's changed, you'll need to tell me(nicely plz). I'm probably asking for help with the modern build scene since I have no clue what's going on.