Experiences with non-techies

THAT, and gain a couple of bazillion more brain cells :P (this joke was about you being dumb incase you did not notice, you are welcome) :=)

Well aren't you just a ray of sunshine!

Lol :)

uh... I was kinda serious.... USB, Ethernet, Display, DVI, and HDMI ports may look intimidating, but everyone should be able to match up shapes with other shapes (unless you haven't learned the concept or have very poor vision)

Only exceptions are Displayport and HDMI; DVI-I and DVI-D as they both look extremely similar

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

uh... I was kinda serious.... USB, Ethernet, Display, DVI, and HDMI ports may look intimidating, but everyone should be able to match up shapes with other shapes (unless you haven't learned the concept or have very poor vision)

Only exceptions are Displayport and HDMI; DVI-I and DVI-D as they both look extremely similar

Well, back to kindergarten it is then.

Well what did he have for a gpu?

My friend showed me his all in one PC which was sitting on his desk and asked me with a straight face if it could run crysis 3 and Black ops 2. PS: It has 4 gigs of ram

Need to know all the specs, including what resolution he wants to play it at. Considering it's an all-in-one tho, it's plausible he's running off of an iGPU, and won't get a good experience without turning down a SHITTON OF SETTINGS

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

*Looks at 60+ tabs open in Chrome* ... Well.. Not like it isn't understandable...  :wacko:

f270b92dcd.png

The first 5 are pinned here, and up until a few days ago you I couldn't open a new tab (to reply to a forum post or Google something) without the tab icons disappearing. That's what being part of a lore subreddit does to you. Most of those (the ones in the middle since Chrome switched from opening new tabs to the right of the newest to the left of the newest) are over a month old.

f270b92dcd.png

The first 5 are pinned here, and up until a few days ago you I couldn't open a new tab (to reply to a forum post or Google something) without the tab icons disappearing. That's what being part of a lore subreddit does to you. Most of those (the ones in the middle since Chrome switched from opening new tabs to the right of the newest to the left of the newest) are over a month old.

41 tabs. Nice. :P I actually just recounted and I'm at 71 now. xD At least 45 of them are to various bits of AOSP.

Funnily enough, I'm using 6.3gbs of ram... Never really used any other browser extensively but is that good or bad considering the number of tabs?

I help out in the school it department and some kid was mad because we said Norton was malware.

His had had paid for it for three years and we wanted to remove it.

His reaction was he got his laptop and just left. :P

That article is wrong

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGA_1150

It is a 16X PCIE 2.0 link. Not a 3.0. That means it is PCIE 3.0 8X equivalent. In other words, garbage.

You're saying PCIe 3.0 8x will bottleneck any card today? It's not garbage by any stretch of the imagination! Heck, the 295x2 doesn't even need PCIe 3.0 x16.

I don't do signatures.

people always think macs are the best option ! for gaming and everything... drives me nuts !

Depends if you like the OS and if there's enough software support on it. Otherwise dual booting is the way to go. If you mean hardware for gaming, then god no. Hardware's not strong enough on most, if not all models, and not all games are on OSX

Is he the sort of person who thinks that when you close something it goes away forever? The sort who doesn't believe in bookmarks and save files?

He knows that, but I don't know.... He just don't want to quit it despite 100% RAM all the time.

He just don't want to reopen them, he said it took him time to open. (You don't say, 4GB)

I've told him to upgrade his RAM but he said he didn't want to mess the "Internal" part of his PC.

Where I hang out: The Garage - Car Enthusiast Club

My cars: 2006 Mazda RX-8 (MT) | 2014 Mazda 6 (AT) | 2009 Honda Jazz (AT)

PC Specs

Indonesia

CPU: i5-4690 | Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 | Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB | Power Supply: Corsair CX500 | Video Card: MSI GTX 970

Storage: Kingston V300 120GB & WD Blue 1TB | Network Card: ASUS PCE-AC56 | Peripherals: Microsoft Wired 600 & Logitech G29 + Shifter

Australia 

CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G | Motherboard: MSI - B450 Tomahawk | Memory: Mushkin - 8GB (1 x 8GB) | Storage: Mushkin 250GB & Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB
Video Card: GIGABYTE - RX 580 8GB | Case: Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower | Power Supply: Avolv 550W 80+ Gold

If he was my friend I would have gave him a plate of milk and a bone, then when he asks why tell him he needs it because he's such a pussy and a bitch.

seventh symphony reference? or? xD

cause that brings me back.... 

Watch out for each other. Love everyone and forgive everyone, including yourself. Forgive your anger, forgive your guilt. Your shame. Your sadness. Embrace and open up your love, your joy, your truth, and most especially your heart. 
-Jim Hensen

Wasn't trying to reference something, but sure why not.

oh well... xD

1600's comedy stuck me. you just said it in modern english and rather vulgar. which made me giggle :P

Watch out for each other. Love everyone and forgive everyone, including yourself. Forgive your anger, forgive your guilt. Your shame. Your sadness. Embrace and open up your love, your joy, your truth, and most especially your heart. 
-Jim Hensen

My friend showed me his all in one PC which was sitting on his desk and asked me with a straight face if it could run crysis 3 and Black ops 2. PS: It has 4 gigs of ram

Technically, you CAN run crysis 3 an BO2 on that thing, but it's not gonna be a 4k-surround-ultra-settings-60+fps kind of run

Was doing some research for a school project and found this article. http://energy.gov/energysaver/articles/energy-efficient-computer-use

Turn off both the CPU and monitor if you're not going to use your PC for more than 2 hours

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/9DNjLk I like the night theme, it complements my dark basement. If you are reading this then you must also be a fan of the night theme.

01011011 01000010 01101001 01101110 01100001 01110010 01111001 00100000 01001000 01100101 01110010 01100101 01011101 

Was doing some research for a school project and found this article. http://energy.gov/energysaver/articles/energy-efficient-computer-use

Thanks Obama  <_<

Another story that comes to my mind is that my dad got an iPad from his work. I don't have any idea which model it is, but it could be the iPad 2. Thing is, he has never touched an Apple product in his life and his confusion is beyond comprehension ^_^

Granted, he is quite tech-savvy and I learned a lot from him in my early PC days, but this thing is another page for him. He hates how he can't customize the interface and doesn't know how the navigation in apps work. I struggled to explain him the basics over Skype, but he's getting worked up about how 'stupid this is'.

Mail and Calendar are working though, so he's got that going for him.

New to Star Citizen? Look no further!

Thanks Obama  <_<

Another story that comes to my mind is that my dad got an iPad from his work. I don't have any idea which model it is, but it could be the iPad 2. Thing is, he has never touched an Apple product in his life and his confusion is beyond comprehension ^_^

Granted, he is quite tech-savvy and I learned a lot from him in my early PC days, but this thing is another page for him. He hates how he can't customize the interface and doesn't know how the navigation in apps work. I struggled to explain him the basics over Skype, but he's getting worked up about how 'stupid this is'.

Mail and Calendar are working though, so he's got that going for him.

Valid complaints. People go on about iOS but its complete lack of customization is a departure from the previously established major OS' (desktops) of the time.

I asked my friend (who was a fellow PhD student) how his new build was going. He told me that everything seemed to be working fine except he couldn't get anything to show up on his awesome 1440p monitor except "no signal". I asked him about the cable and ports he was using to connect his 770 to the monitor, and he assured me that all that was fine. He thought that maybe the gpu was faulty and was thinking about RMAing it. I kept asking him about the problem over the course of several days, and always the same response. Finally, about a week later, I asked him again and he said it was finally working. I asked him what he'd done to fix it. Obviously, what had happened is that he'd had the hdmi cable plugged into the motherboard I/O hdmi port rather than the one on the gpu...I don't think it's the worst mistake anyone could make, by far, but the fact that it took so long for him to figure it out when I'd told him to check that stuff in the beginning made me facepalm just a bit.

I did that once :D

So many things I could write here... things like this.

It's this kind of mentality that I hate from people. "If it works, why need something better?" Well cause I wanna do things faster. It's like convincing my mom  to get me a better monitor cause my 5:4 is not gonna cut it for CAD work but she says "At least you have a monitor, right?"

To be fair, I have 2 4:3 monitors, and since I can't do much stuff in proper quality like watching videos (slow internet) there's no really good reason to invest in new monitors ;) Perhaps for games but it's not THAT much of a problem.

So many things I could write here... things like this.

To be fair, I have 2 4:3 monitors, and since I can't do much stuff in proper quality like watching videos (slow internet) there's no really good reason to invest in new monitors ;) Perhaps for games but it's not THAT much of a problem.

gaming is fine since the UI while you game is so insignificant compared to the whole gaming area that it really doesn't matter, but once you have multiple windows open for productivity stuff, you have to get creative

I hate it when I have to use my moms iMac with 4gb of ram because she always leaves photoshop, bridge, and indesign open, in addition to Firefox with a dozen tabs, Mail, and sometimes even safari. And then my brother tries to run Minecraft at the same time.

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS GPU: AMD r680M / RX 6700S RAM: 16GB DDR5 

d1d.jpg

My main computer:

i7 6700k || GTX 1070 || Asus Z170 RGB || C.M. Hyper 212 EVO || 16GB RAM || 256GB NVMe SSD || 500GB SATA SSD || 12TB total HDD || Define R5 Blackout || 850W PSU

More Details Below :) 

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k                             GPU:  EVGA GTX 1070 FTW                                  |  Motherboard: Asus Z170 Pro Gaming Aura
CPU Cooler: C.M. Hyper 212 EVO             RAM: 16GB Kingston Fury 4x4 DDR4 2400MHz         SSD:  Intel 256GB NVMe SSD & Plextor 500GB SATA SSD

Hard Drive:  WD 2TB Black, 2TB WD Blue, 8TB WD Red     Case:  Fractal Design Define R5 Blackout Edition   PSU:  Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 11 850W

Additional Computer Parts: NZXT Hue for LEDs

Peripherals: Dell U2414H (x2) || Corsair Sabre RGB || Corsair K95 Platinum || Sennheiser 558's || Modmic

Pictures of setup: