Experiences with non-techies

7 hours ago, DocSwag said:

What the... WHAT IS THIS!!!

Finally watched the whole video and he mention he's doing this because Apple refused to issue a refund for some reason (which might be illegal depending on the exact details) ... Talk about over-reaction! xD

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

I havent checked this thread since we were celebrating something-hundred pages ago.

i have a lot to catch up on.

Watch out for each other. Love everyone and forgive everyone, including yourself. Forgive your anger, forgive your guilt. Your shame. Your sadness. Embrace and open up your love, your joy, your truth, and most especially your heart. 
-Jim Hensen

2 hours ago, fisch1l said:

OK she apparently figured my disabling of their monitoring systems out. They got County IT involved. Sat me down, explained that if I didn't show how I disabled things, they would give my 3 days of in school suspention. Crap. 

So I had to stop. Apparently, I managed to corrupt the monitoring software file and they had to reinstall it. Now they are watching me like hawks. 

Tl;Dr: messed with computers at school, got the county involved and almost got suspended. 

GG..

34 minutes ago, wrathoftheturkey said:

Me too, man. Me too. 13 YEAR OLDS UNITE.

Haha yay

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

29 minutes ago, wrathoftheturkey said:

dumb enough to leave intel display settings accessible to normal users

We have it accessible too. Very useful for trolling :D

7 hours ago, wrathoftheturkey said:

When you get in trouble at school because the school folks were dumb enough to leave intel display settings accessible to normal users and they think you broke the monitor because it's entirely green... smh.

At the summer camp I went to over the summer (duh) all the monitors used VGA so some of the monitors were all red or all green or whatever. I fixed them by screwing in the cable better.

"You don't need headphones, all you need is willpower!" ~MicroCenter employee

How to use a WiiMote and Nunchuck as your mouse!

Specs:
Graphics Card: EVGA 750 Ti SC
PSU: Corsair CS450M
RAM: A-Data XPG V1.0 (1x8GB) (Red)
Procrastinator: Intel i5 4690k @ 4.4GHz 1.3V
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black)
Speakers and Headphones: Monitor Speakers and Phlips SHP9500s
MoBo: MSI Z97 PC MATE
SSD: SanDisk Ultra II (240GB)
Monitor: LG 29UM68-P
Mouse: Mionix Naos 7000
Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB (2016) (Browns)

Webcam/mic: Logitech C270

14 minutes ago, BingoFishy said:

At the summer camp I went to over the summer (duh) all the monitors used VGA so some of the monitors were all red or all green or whatever. I fixed them by screwing in the cable better.

Did you make them sacrifice a goat to your mighty powers and bow down before you?

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

*sigh*

Got to work to discover lots of tickets about people being unable to login because of password change ... Despite the numerous emails, and the warning when changing your password, people are still using a broken portal. (Portal works, and still needs to be used, but the password change through it is broken, we have a ticket for it with the software manufacturer but it's not being taken care of).

The average user still clicks "OK" without reading ... Then complain about things not working and that we should issue a warning ... REALLY??? HOW ABOUT READING THE FUCKIN WARNING YOU GOT RIGHT BEFORE CHANGING YOUR PASSWORD!??!!!?

2 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

*sigh*

Got to work to discover lots of tickets about people being unable to login because of password change ... Despite the numerous emails, and the warning when changing your password, people are still using a broken portal. (Portal works, and still needs to be used, but the password change through it is broken, we have a ticket for it with the software manufacturer but it's not being taken care of).

The average user still clicks "OK" without reading ... Then complain about things not working and that we should issue a warning ... REALLY??? HOW ABOUT READING THE FUCKIN WARNING YOU GOT RIGHT BEFORE CHANGING YOUR PASSWORD!??!!!?

Your profile picture does a good job displaying your anger.

Specs:

4 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Did you make them sacrifice a goat to your mighty powers and bow down before you?

No. Actually, most people didn't really care but it annoyed me so I fixed it while they were using it and annoyed them.

Specs:

Just now, BingoFishy said:

No. Actually, most people didn't really care but it annoyed me so I fixed it while they were using it and annoyed them.

:( You should have made them tremble before your power!!!!!!1!

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Just now, Lurick said:

:( You should have made them tremble before your power!!!!!!1!

Bow down to thy master Bingo Fishy, for thy is Master of IT!

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

31 minutes ago, BingoFishy said:

Your profile picture does a good job displaying your anger.

xD

Was actually thinking of changing it to something more "festive" :P

https://linustechtips.com/main/profile/243728-wkdpaul/?status=149060&type=status

9 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

To be fair, I think it's Nara Shikamaru every time. Every. Single. Time.

lol didn't even realize but you're right, my avatar looks like Shikamaru! xD

I should go back and modify the hair! :P

The worst thing is when people ask you to build them a computer.

Everytime I talk to them and think about suitable hardware. Then I proceed to qoute them a price of the finished build, after which (and this has happened several times) they tell me they have decided to pick something cheaper.

In the end they tell me it's not as fast as they thought it would be...

| GPU: MSI GTX 970 | CPU: Intel i5 4460 | PSU: Sharkoon 500Watt 80-plus semi-modular | RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 1600 2x4GB |

2 minutes ago, Fattedd said:

GEEE I WONDER WHY 

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

1 hour ago, Fattedd said:

The worst thing is when people ask you to build them a computer.

Everytime I talk to them and think about suitable hardware. Then I proceed to qoute them a price of the finished build, after which (and this has happened several times) they tell me they have decided to pick something cheaper.

I found this a lot working in retail. People buy the cheapest piece of shit they can. Then bitch about it not being fast and not being able to do what they want. I work on the basis you get what you pay for. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Don't you love it when the marketing department of a company screws up so badly

"Windows Gaming PCs give you the ultimate Xbox experience on a PC"

LMAO :D!!!!!!

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

I work as an IT technician and well I ask someone to type our remote connection tool web address into the address bar and they ALWAYS type it into the search bar and cry about the weird languages it appears in or not coming up at all... Grr...

Don't forget to @me / quote me for a reply =]

1 hour ago, AluminiumTech said:

Don't you love it when the marketing department of a company screws up so badly

"Windows Gaming PCs give you the ultimate Xbox experience on a PC"

LMAO :D!!!!!!

Yeah, they should realize that, regardless of what they might want, "Xbox experience" is a bad thing to PC gamers xD

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 hour ago, JackHubbleday said:

I work as an IT technician and well I ask someone to type our remote connection tool web address into the address bar and they ALWAYS type it into the search bar and cry about the weird languages it appears in or not coming up at all... Grr...

At least they can find the search bar amiright. :D 

https://www.reddit.com/r/talesfromtechsupport/comments/55tkr1/internet_browser/?st=itvjzqr8&sh=fb6c721f

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

1 hour ago, DocSwag said:

I read this and died a little on the inside. If you dont know what a web browser is. Then why in the fuck are you even touching a computer? 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Just got a "work stoppage" call, lady was panicking, her PC wasn't working anymore ... lights on the PC were working, light on the monitor was working but she wasn't getting any image.

Went to her desk, I hear the PC "restart beep" (she had just restarted it) ... I look at the monitor and I can see it's ON but it's on power saving mode. Looked behind the monitor, played with the DVI cable and I realized it's wasn't connected properly. Only one of the leg was screwed and it was only slightly screwed. She later told me she had moved he monitor to "straighten it out"

TLDR; Lady panic and restart her PC 4 times after she inadvertently unplugged her monitor by moving it ... at least she did try the "have you tried turning it off and back on again" !! xD

Never read comments under Digital Foundry's videos, they are full of fanboys and non techies.

Spoiler

Quiet Whirl | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Mobo: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200 Mhz Graphics card: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER GAMING X TRIO PSU: Corsair RMx Series RM550x Case: Be quiet! Pure Base 600

Buffed HPHP ProBook 430 G4 | CPU: Intel Core i3-7100U RAM: 4GB DDR4 2133Mhz GPU: Intel HD 620 SSD: Some 128GB M.2 SATA

Retired:

Melting plastic | Lenovo IdeaPad Z580 | CPU: Intel Core i7-3630QM RAM: 8GB DDR3 GPU: nVidia GeForce GTX 640M HDD: Western Digital 1TB

The Roaring Beast | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690 (BCLK @ 104MHz = 4,05GHz) Cooler: Akasa X3 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H RAM: Kingston 16GB DDR3 (2x8GB) Graphics card: Gigabyte GTX 970 4GB (Core: +130MHz, Mem: +230MHz) SSHD: Seagate 1TB SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB HHD: WD Red 4TB PSU: Fractal Design Essence 500W Case: Zalman Z11 Plus