Experiences with non-techies

2 hours ago, Space Reptile said:

why is the current gen of GPU coolers so horrible , the rx480 G1 gaming is awful , according to jays that thing is at 80c under load no matter what   , and the cooler is terrible at getting rid of the heat , exausting bearly any warm air while the backplate burns your finger  

2 hours ago, kagarium said:

amd always runs hot

for as long as i can remember amd has always run hotter than an intel/nvidia equivalent

Jay updated his statement in last week's TechTalk pinning the issue on Gigabyte's BIOS which makes the fan spin as slow as it can without reaching dangerous temps...

just saying...

linux logic

"Okay, time to use this 16bit C compiler for fitness purposes."

Ryzen 7 3700X / 16GB RAM / Optane SSD / GTX 1650 / Solus Linux

Okay so this is sort of non techie. 

So so at the moment I'm on a training course to do my CompTIA A+ N+ and S+ and yesterday in groups of four we where given motherboards to look at as a practical example now the board we got was practically an antique it had a pentium 3 prosessor and as most of you will know these have pins on the chip and not contact points like a modern cpu and this other guy who has clearly ever touched the inside of a computer before lifts the tentionin arm and just yanks the CPU out and then starts playing with it needles to say I was cringing so hard incase he bent a pin. It was so painful to watch luckily he didn't bend the pins. I'm pretty sure they had given us old workstation boards that had been busted in one form or another so the cpu didn't work but still I was a painful 20 minutes :P 

I lurk a lot

Do you people remember fassi boi. (a idiot i know). Well what does he do, yes he does gaming on his alienware with r9 m290x and well was complaining that dying light was lagging at 768p. well i got everything to low and got the screen res to 1080p and it magically solved his problem.

Build

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1600, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Gigabyte X470 Gaming 7. TeamGroup Viper 4133mhz 16gb, XFX RX 480 8 GB (1000mhz cause dying), Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB M.2 SSD, An old 1tb 5400 rpm 2.5" HDD, TeamGroup 480gb & Kingston 480gb ssds (May RAID 0), 1TB Western Ditigal HDD, EVGA 750W G2 PSU, Phanteks P400s

----------X-----------X------------

1 hour ago, DeezNoNos said:

Do you people remember fassi boi. (a idiot i know). Well what does he do, yes he does gaming on his alienware with r9 m290x and well was complaining that dying light was lagging at 768p. well i got everything to low and got the screen res to 1080p and it magically solved his problem.

An R9 M290X was as powerful as an R9 270.........

A 295X on the other hand was capable of R9 280/X performance.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

"Guys, remember to use the operation system "Internet Explorer" and the search engine "Windows" The web browser should be "Google"!"

7 hours ago, kagarium said:

amd always runs hot

for as long as i can remember amd has always run hotter than an intel/nvidia equivalent

lol seriously?

Talk about a general statement without much truth to it, I can send you screenshots of my 7870 vs my GTX470 ... The 470 easily goes pass 95°c under load while the 7870 never seen more than 72°c ;)

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

13 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

lol seriously?

Talk about a general statement without much truth to it, I can send you screenshots of my 7870 vs my GTX470 ... The 470 easily goes pass 95°c under load while the 7870 never seen more than 72°c ;)

Rlly? I'm not an nVidia fanboy (had both AMD and nVidia), but we all know that Fermi ran particularly hot... An issue that was later fixed in Kepler... I admit that my GTX 970 Phantom runs hotter than my 7970 Sapphire Dual-X, by 10°C, but please don't use Fermi for comparison.

Spoiler

|| Asrock Z68 Extreme 3 Gen 3 || i5 3570 @3.5GHz || Zalman CNPS10X Optima || 8GB RAM HyperX Fury Blue @ 1600MHz || Thermaltake Berlin 630W || Zalman Z11 || Gainward Phantom GTX 970 || 120GB Kingston V300  (Gift) + 1TB  WD Green

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 8

Tablet: iPad Mini 2

7 hours ago, DigitalHermit said:

Jay updated his statement in last week's TechTalk pinning the issue on Gigabyte's BIOS which makes the fan spin as slow as it can without reaching dangerous temps..

his card still hit 88c w/ fans on 90%+ 

the heastsink on that card is either badly engineered or faulty (as i already mentioned , jay said that the air coming from the cards heatsink is bearly warm )

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

2 hours ago, arvark said:

Rlly? I'm not an nVidia fanboy (had both AMD and nVidia), but we all know that Fermi ran particularly hot... An issue that was later fixed in Kepler... I admit that my GTX 970 Phantom runs hotter than my 7970 Sapphire Dual-X, by 10°C, but please don't use Fermi for comparison.

look back at what I quoted;

10 hours ago, kagarium said:

amd always runs hot

;)

4 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

An R9 M290X was as powerful as an R9 270.........

A 295X on the other hand was capable of R9 280/X performance.

i dont know maybe he was throttling

Build

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1600, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Gigabyte X470 Gaming 7. TeamGroup Viper 4133mhz 16gb, XFX RX 480 8 GB (1000mhz cause dying), Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB M.2 SSD, An old 1tb 5400 rpm 2.5" HDD, TeamGroup 480gb & Kingston 480gb ssds (May RAID 0), 1TB Western Ditigal HDD, EVGA 750W G2 PSU, Phanteks P400s

----------X-----------X------------

8 hours ago, wkdpaul said:

look back at what I quoted;

;)

Still doesn't justify using Fermi for comparison for temps against a Kepler equivalent architecture. ;) 

Spoiler

|| Asrock Z68 Extreme 3 Gen 3 || i5 3570 @3.5GHz || Zalman CNPS10X Optima || 8GB RAM HyperX Fury Blue @ 1600MHz || Thermaltake Berlin 630W || Zalman Z11 || Gainward Phantom GTX 970 || 120GB Kingston V300  (Gift) + 1TB  WD Green

1 minute ago, arvark said:

Still doesn't justify using Fermi for comparison for temps against a Kepler equivalent architecture. ;) 

If you want equivalent, the 5870 was classified as such and was still much cooler ;)

2 minutes ago, arvark said:

well then dont bring Hawaii into this :P 

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

Just now, wkdpaul said:

If you want equivalent, the 5870 was classified as such and was still much cooler ;)

That is true, I was just pointing out to compare equivalent cards. -_- 

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Space Reptile said:

well then dont bring Hawaii into this :P 

?

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, arvark said:

That is true, I was just pointing out to compare equivalent cards. -_- 

Fair enough :)

I got one for you.

My dad kept bitching that stuff for Comcast was loading in chrome on his phone. He stated after this happen he could not access the internet. From what I discovered his phone was most likely outside the T Mobile Coverage area where he was. That his phone was connected to WIFI and the hotspot was an Xfinity Hotspot. Today he gets home and its on a Cisco page asking for a password for the guest network. He doesnt understand that when you get out of the coverage area you have to use WiFi. He was pretty much convinced he had a virus. We did an FDR on his phone. It ran slow as fuck anyway, so this would be good for it. He just can comprehend 4G LTE vs WiFI. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Seems like I'm surrounded by idiots...

Firstly I was telling my friend how I OC'd my FX-8350 to 4.8Ghz without even sweating bullets. I believed he knew how OC'ing works, but he had a "great" idea: "Why companies don't sell already OC'd CPUs, like they do with GPUs?". After I told him that it's not the CPU we are OC'ing, but we are telling the mobo to give some more juice and clocks/multiplier to the CPU his idea grew "Then why they don't sell already OC'd mobos?". On papers he is better studied on hardware and in IT than I (I never finnished my schools) and I ended up explaning him what the silicon lottery is and how people would end up frying their CPUs by not having enough cooling and all the other ways idiots end up Fing up in OC'ing.

But that's not bad, that's acctually quite good thinking, but my younger sister is the whole other story. They are starting to do their school test with computers and they need 4GB USB-memory to do it, so she called me and asked where she could get one. She had really bad time trying to get her head around how 16GB memorystick which costs 10€ is enough and she doesn't need to buy 4GB stick which could possibly cost a lot more because they are not as common anymore and probably only places selling those are ripoff markets and Apple stores. She ended either way buying 30€ 4GB card from some bookstore...

On that matter I would like to see that guys CV and stuff who thought it would be a really great idea make a whole own Linux distro with which students can make their test with their own laptops. Because they didn't come to think of that there's a lot of different hardware in laptops and now that they are starting to test it around 1 out of 4 laptops are acctually supported (or the distro has drivers for the hardware). Ofcourse it's not possible to install laptops drivers on that distro because it could mean that someone could hack or alternate how it's surveilance and security and proofing. Also they thought that only 10% of students per school might have a laptop that isn't supported, so there isn't even enough backup computers in schools to cover this great F up. But well, what else someone can except from public IT project in Finland, this time at least the company behind it isn't Tieto (aka TietoEnator and many other names because they F up so badly every project that they end up changing their name) and they might have somethign that works as long as you have laptop with most standard hardware (bye bye touch screens, dedicated GPUs and many other things) which is a lot because in the past 10-15 years nearly every single public IT project has been some kind of F ups, they don't stay in budget, they are not even close to be easy to use, they are made so only the developing company can uphold them, they are filled with major bugs and they are simply over doing everything so much that they end up sucking (like there was this one project which I was part in school that we designed software and hardware that would make emergency cars signal through radios (so the siren could be heard in radios), basicly very simple system to overlap every radio signal on small area. But no, they needed it to be able to send prerecorded messages and able to just shout over that system and it needed to be synced with every emergency car in the city and every car needed to be able to send the signal to the whole city and some other quite unneccesary things that ended up making the project impossible).

2 hours ago, NunoLava1998 said:

My Chrome is probably made by non-techies. THAT IS A REAL SCREEN, WHAT THE HECK CHROME, I DON'T EVEN...

That's seriously a 100% legit, unedited screenshot!? xD 

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

This build: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/acer-aspire-predator-g3-710-desktop-intel-core-i7-16gb-memory-1tb-hard-drive-black/4816100.p?skuId=4816100

And OMG, the description:

This computer's 2GB dedicated graphics let you fight your way to the top of the leaderboards. Quad-core processing delivers powerful performance in the heat of battle, and a 1TB hard drive offers plenty of storage.

Spoiler

Quiet Whirl | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Mobo: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200 Mhz Graphics card: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER GAMING X TRIO PSU: Corsair RMx Series RM550x Case: Be quiet! Pure Base 600

Buffed HPHP ProBook 430 G4 | CPU: Intel Core i3-7100U RAM: 4GB DDR4 2133Mhz GPU: Intel HD 620 SSD: Some 128GB M.2 SATA

Retired:

Melting plastic | Lenovo IdeaPad Z580 | CPU: Intel Core i7-3630QM RAM: 8GB DDR3 GPU: nVidia GeForce GTX 640M HDD: Western Digital 1TB

The Roaring Beast | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690 (BCLK @ 104MHz = 4,05GHz) Cooler: Akasa X3 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H RAM: Kingston 16GB DDR3 (2x8GB) Graphics card: Gigabyte GTX 970 4GB (Core: +130MHz, Mem: +230MHz) SSHD: Seagate 1TB SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB HHD: WD Red 4TB PSU: Fractal Design Essence 500W Case: Zalman Z11 Plus

41 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

That's seriously a 100% legit, unedited screenshot!? xD 

yes.

Ryzen 7 3700X / 16GB RAM / Optane SSD / GTX 1650 / Solus Linux

3 minutes ago, matrix07012 said:

It's not that bad, if anything just slightly mis informing.

"You don't need headphones, all you need is willpower!" ~MicroCenter employee

How to use a WiiMote and Nunchuck as your mouse!

Specs:
Graphics Card: EVGA 750 Ti SC
PSU: Corsair CS450M
RAM: A-Data XPG V1.0 (1x8GB) (Red)
Procrastinator: Intel i5 4690k @ 4.4GHz 1.3V
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black)
Speakers and Headphones: Monitor Speakers and Phlips SHP9500s
MoBo: MSI Z97 PC MATE
SSD: SanDisk Ultra II (240GB)
Monitor: LG 29UM68-P
Mouse: Mionix Naos 7000
Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB (2016) (Browns)

Webcam/mic: Logitech C270