Experiences with non-techies

3 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

say-what.jpg

exactly , VGA supports 1440 at best 

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

15 minutes ago, Space Reptile said:

Exactly, the monitor support lower resolution so plugging a 4k monitor through VGA will make the monitor only work at those max VGA res, it's a complete waste of ... everything?

EDIT: also, even if you could send 4k down a VGA cable, since it's an analog connection the image quality will probably be crap.

Edited by wkdpaul
typos

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

12 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

Exactly, the monitor support lower resolution so plugging a 4k monitor through VGA will make the monitor only work at those max VGA res, it's a complete waste of ... everything?

You keep your logic out of this, Mr Logic Pants!

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

This topic has changed from "experiences with non-techies" to "wtf is hardware and why am I even here"

CPU Ryzen 5 1600 @3.8Ghz

RAM G.Skill Aegis 2x8GB DDR4-3000

MoBo ASRock Fatality B350-ITX/ac

Graphics Asus Strix GTX 1060 6GB

Storage AData SP550 120GB + 2 Western Digital 1TB

PSU bequiet! Pure Power 10 CM 500W

Case Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor AOC G2260VWQ 21.5"

Peripherals Gigabyte Force K85 + Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum

21 minutes ago, Space Reptile said:

1200p is max resolution for vga.

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

25 minutes ago, themctipers said:

It's terrible for 1200p office use. Personal experience..

my dad uses a 610 to power a 4K tv with VGA. 

also forgot to offer my deepest sympathies regarding the GT610!!! xD

19 minutes ago, Lurick said:

You keep your logic out of this, Mr Logic Pants!

Yeah, sorry about that, not sure what I was thinking! :)

24 minutes ago, insyght said:

This topic has changed from "experiences with non-techies" to "wtf is hardware and why am I even here"

you seem new to this thread 

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

13 minutes ago, SLAYR said:

1200p is max resolution for vga.

There's actually no standards for VGA limits. You could technically display in 4k, but the hardware would need to support it. Most of the resolution limit are related to many different factors like the cable's length and quality, the "DAC" on the GPU (VGA is analog, so there's a digital to analog conversion done), the monitor itself, etc ...

3 hours ago, DigitalHermit said:

That sounds like some next level stuff right there...

How is it?

I don't know..

3 hours ago, wkdpaul said:

say-what.jpg

He used to use a GT 610 and a i7 3770k. He didn't overclock. 

2 hours ago, wkdpaul said:

also forgot to offer my deepest sympathies regarding the GT610!!! xD

Yeah, sorry about that, not sure what I was thinking! :)

Haha had to Live with that from 2012-2015..

but still, if not there's DVI.. 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

On 2/29/2016 at 6:28 PM, DirtyDane said:

I FOUND THE BIGGEST SIN EVER 

This is a company that sells pc aerosol cans and such and yet somehow they call the tower the CPU. A COMPANY MARKETING THEIR PRODUCT TO CLEAN A PC CALLS THE PC THE CPU!! WHAT IS WRONG WITH THESE PEOPLE

he skips so many details about propper maintinence

Also i love how it has 20,000 dislikes yet only 5,000 likes

Some of the poeple where I work call the whole thing the CPU and I have to try and not flip my shit

Breaking things 1 day at a time

Happened other day:

My computer science teacher (doesn't know anything) literally almost referred me to the school administration for "hacking" because I was turning on  my computer, while she had locked out others using a software tool. 

(to be honest I was in the process of disabling that tool but she didn't need to know that) 

I try to answer the best I can. 

Please realize that 95% of issues can be solved through Google.  I'll try to help,  but you need to Google yourself.  

Just now, fisch1l said:

Happened other day:

My computer science teacher (doesn't know anything) literally almost referred me to the school administration for "hacking" because I was turning on  my computer, while she had locked out others using a software tool. 

(to be honest I was in the process of disabling that tool but she didn't need to know that) 

hi, i opened my computer and my bitch of a teacher flipped out because i turned on my computer. 

well she said you hacked it

well.. i opened it? by clicking the power button? oh sorry, was that glued? i wasn't supposed to be able to click the button because its superglued?

yeah...

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

I originally posted this in a thread about programming, but I also decided to share it here :) Enjoy!

A friend of mine copied a batch file into the start folders of every computer in the lab at my school before hours on April fools day then shut them down. When the PC's were started, the disk drive would open, close and open again on an infinite 5 second loop. Thought that was funny.

That's pretty funny because about 2 days ago my friend and I made a java program that runs a VBscript to do the same thing! We haven't put it into startup... yet.

We have too much free time in programming class considering half of the class doesn't know what a method is or are still learning if statements :P 

Did I mention it's an AP class? Yeah, pretty crazy.

Going off-topic here, but  On the first day the teacher asked how many people had any past programming experience and only half the class raided their hands. No offence to the people that are new, but you shouldn't take an AP class without knowing the basics first.

Each student also has a private samba server share called the H drive (H://) and we discovered that we have FULL access to it, not just read, write, and execute, but we can change the permissions. My friend removed the administrators from the permissions list and it stayed that way. I didn't think that it would work and assumed it would block removing a permission, but nope! Also, guess what the groups are called for the students and staff! "WOWstaff" and "WOWstudents" Do they play World of Warcraft or something?! Well I hope you enjoy this story even though it should probably be in Experiences with non-techies. (As it is now.)

My main computer:

i7 6700k || GTX 1070 || Asus Z170 RGB || C.M. Hyper 212 EVO || 16GB RAM || 256GB NVMe SSD || 500GB SATA SSD || 12TB total HDD || Define R5 Blackout || 850W PSU

More Details Below :) 

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k                             GPU:  EVGA GTX 1070 FTW                                  |  Motherboard: Asus Z170 Pro Gaming Aura
CPU Cooler: C.M. Hyper 212 EVO             RAM: 16GB Kingston Fury 4x4 DDR4 2400MHz         SSD:  Intel 256GB NVMe SSD & Plextor 500GB SATA SSD

Hard Drive:  WD 2TB Black, 2TB WD Blue, 8TB WD Red     Case:  Fractal Design Define R5 Blackout Edition   PSU:  Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 11 850W

Additional Computer Parts: NZXT Hue for LEDs

Peripherals: Dell U2414H (x2) || Corsair Sabre RGB || Corsair K95 Platinum || Sennheiser 558's || Modmic

Pictures of setup:

fun fact: there is an /r/apple discord called 'apple discord'

fb47fc73dd9a016d2338cff7f3fcbea3.png

29358d681174c7dcccbfeba837f0e4f1.png

you might see me there.. here and there

fanboying about iphones and rmbp. thats it i promise!

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

So I was at work and a customer kept calling WLAN, 'wylan.'

Who the fuck is, Wylan?

Also had a person tell me RAM was the answer to all his problems... when he was trying to play Metro Redux on his MacBook Pro, with HD 4000 integrated graphics. 

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.

I was talking to someone today who I might potentially build a rather high end system for. He asked how much Core i9's are going for. To be fair, it's actually pretty reasonable to assume that might exist.

Lenovo Ideapad 720s 14 inch ------ One day I'll have a desktop again...

6 hours ago, kaiju_wars said:

So I was at work and a customer kept calling WLAN, 'wylan.'

Who the fuck is, Wylan?

Also had a person tell me RAM was the answer to all his problems... when he was trying to play Metro Redux on his MacBook Pro, with HD 4000 integrated graphics. 

You, "You know how to install RAM, right?"

Them, "Of course; it's so easy. Do you think I'm stupid?"

You, "Whatever you say..."

~1 week later~

Them, "I tried to install ram in my computer, and now it won't turn on..."

You, "What did you do?"

Them, "I installed the RAM."

You, "How?"

Them, "Duh. I found a spot on the large green thing that didn't have grooves in it so I stuck two sticks of RAM there. They wouldn't stay so I pushed them in until a groove was made in the large green thing and they were stuck. Why isn't it working now?"

You: Hello face, meet hand. Hello hand, meet face.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

5 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

You, "You know how to install RAM, right?"

Them, "Of course; it's so easy. Do you think I'm stupid?"

You, "Whatever you say..."

~1 week later~

Him, "I tried to install ram in my computer, and now it won't turn on..."

You, "What did you do?"

Him, "I installed the RAM."

You, "How?"

Him, "Duh. I found a spot on the large green thing that didn't have grooves in it so I stuck two sticks of RAM there. They wouldn't stay so I pushed them in until a groove was made in the large green thing and they were stuck. Why isn't it working now?"

You: Hello face, meet hand. Hello hand, meet face.

Actually, I think I would be more intrigued how the hell he found green PCB in a MacBook.  Especially since the logicboards of Apple computers are black.  

But then yes, I'd be like, "what the hell, dude."

Just now, kaiju_wars said:

Actually, I think I would be more intrigued how the hell he found green PCB in a MacBook.  Especially since the logicboards of Apple computers are black.  

But then yes, I'd be like, "what the hell, dude."

my bad :D I assumed they were green :P 

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

Just now, DocSwag said:

my bad :D I assumed they were green :P 

Lol, it's all good.  Still, gotta admit that would be a major, 'what the hell,' moment either way.

Even technically literate people can be complete buffoons sometimes, listening to themselves instead of someone else because it's not their idea or that person hasn't been doing things as long as they have.

-Start Rant-

When you spend time telling a group of people over and over again "Product A is a bad option for the customer, go with Product B" and they keep ignoring you and going for "Product A" for the sole purpose "It's what the customer is looking at right now" even though the customer would be happier and better off with Product B, it would meet their needs better and provide an all around better solution. Right now it's missing 1 feature which the customer wants but that's coming in the next iteration of code.

They continue to ignore me every time I try to bring it up in a positive and constructive manner. Up until now Product B has been missing just that single feature, well due to issues with Product A a new patch needs to be made to fix it. The software which will allow the missing feature to be available in Product B will be available in about a week. The patch to fix Product A will take 3 weeks and require additional testing. So we're going to be doing additional and new testing on either platform but they still won't pull their heads out of their butts and consider that Product B, especially now, is the better option. I'm about ready to throw in the towel, shut my mouth, finish documenting everything I've done to stop this crap show from continuing, and just let them dig their own graves.

-End Rant-

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

1 hour ago, Lurick said:

*snip*

Welcome to the corporate world xD

Sounds just like my workplace except we're the client and anything we say is ignored by the higher ups that ultimately take the final decision. Because of this, we're switching to a new ERP suite that has less functionality and is slower to work with than the old ERP ... Great job guys, great job!!!

On 27 September 2016 at 5:18 PM, Space Reptile said:

its the GT line wich is a basic card for home and office use

GTX line for games and other more challenging applications

GT 10   GT 20    GT 30   GT 40 

GTX 50 GTX 60 GTX 70 GTX 80 

Edit: amd counterparts

R3 (igpu)

R5 R7 (h&o)

R9 RX (gamez)

older cards

XX30 low

XX50 med

XX70 high

XX90 dual gpu

7790? 5970?

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

1 hour ago, wkdpaul said:

Welcome to the corporate world xD

Sounds just like my workplace except we're the client and anything we say is ignored by the higher ups that ultimately take the final decision. Because of this, we're switching to a new ERP suite that has less functionality and is slower to work with than the old ERP ... Great job guys, great job!!!

Yah, I've been battling it for a while but oh well. I tried to save them from the customer going ballistic and have documentation of all the times I tried, so my butt is safe when the higher ups drop the hammer, lol.

Gotta love it when your new software is worse than the current stuff xD

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

9 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Yah, I've been battling it for a while but oh well. I tried to save them from the customer going ballistic and have documentation of all the times I tried, so my butt is safe when the higher ups drop the hammer, lol.

Gotta love it when your new software is worse than the current stuff xD

Over here in Belgium I see many stores that are switching from paper-only to fully computerised systems but most of the time it's slow as shit and is just terrible made. I can make a better website for their needs than the businesses they hire to do it... (Websites they use to check the clients and their purchases and stuff)