Experiences with non-techies

43 minutes ago, NeXTSalt said:

Now he is bent on just buying a $400 PC off of eBay

Ebay is probabbly one of the worse places to buy a computer, you never know what the owner did to it, and shipping, it will usually cost $50-$100 to just ship it, and shipping companies ane never going to handle it nicely so expect it to be broken if packaged wrong.

I would look for a used dell/hp workstation, and add a gpu/psu. 

Usually most of the better ones have a psu with pcie connectors.

One good way to get through stubborn non-techies is to let them buy it, and hope they learn. I know someone who wanted to run games at triple 1080p with a gt740, I didn't stop them even though I advised against it, it can at least run triple 1080p minecraft, but that is about it.

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

1 hour ago, Bleedingyamato said:

I sense some painfully funny stories in that statement.   Please share with the class so we may all die laughing.  ?

I have so many that I actually forgot most!!!

But I already started since I post the tech related one here! xD

The main one I keep referring to is VRAM and the fact that he thinks his brand new GT610 is as powerful as my used HD 7870 because they both have 2GB of VRAM.

He thinks electricity comes from the air, that basically, a generator (wind, hydro, etc..) is like (and I quote) "a black hole for electrons" sucks them up and it then pushes them down the wires ... Not making this up.

There was another weird thing today but I forgot...

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

On October 3, 2016 at 9:19 AM, wkdpaul said:

lol didn't even realize but you're right, my avatar looks like Shikamaru! xD

I should go back and modify the hair! :P

Does this mean you like anime?  >_>

(Asks hopefully. lol)

On October 4, 2016 at 8:49 AM, Ryan_Vickers said:

Yeah, they should realize that, regardless of what they might want, "Xbox experience" is a bad thing to PC gamers xD

Why is it bad?

(Goes back to streaming Alien Isolation to my computer from my Xbox One.  >_>)

1 hour ago, NeXTSalt said:

w he is bent on just buying a $400 PC off of eBay that olds some quad core AMD apu that he won't specify, r7-250, 16gb of ram and 2 to of storage.

so he spend 400 on a 200~250$ pc w/shit fps/$ 

GG 

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

18 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

He thinks electricity comes from the air, that basically, a generator (wind, hydro, etc..) is like (and I quote) "a black hole for electrons" sucks them up and it then pushes them down the wires ... Not making this up.

as someone who was in progress of becoming an electrician (sadly the company i had my apprenticeship at went bust 2 years in) reading this just cost me 3 years of my life 

giphy.gif

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

On October 5, 2016 at 7:42 PM, DocSwag said:

Wow, look at these high-tech, new 64mb RAM sticks! Much wow, so new!

It's crazy how things have advanced in the last decade even.  My first laptop that I got in fall of 2006 had an AMD dedicated GPU with only 256MB of VRAM. 

Now I've got a desktop with a GTX 1070 that has 8GB of VRAM.  lol

That same laptop had 2GB of RAM (no clue which type/version) and my desktop has 16GB of DDR4.  

22 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Why is it bad?

(Goes back to streaming Alien Isolation to my computer from my Xbox One.  >_>)

Why is having an "Xbox experience" bad?  Because 30 fps, <1080p, no mods, controller for shooters, etc etc etc etc etc

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

Why is having an "Xbox experience" bad?  Because 30 fps, <1080p, no mods, controller for shooters, etc etc etc etc etc

Xbox Playanywhere is nice.

It means I don't have to pay for Forza twice xD.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

On October 7, 2016 at 9:06 PM, kagarium said:

Attached picture is my schools internet at 10:00pm on a friday. technically we have a full gb up/down in speed. but the servers at both schools and the finance office are likely doing there weekly backups to the town hall, as well as the update server pushing gp and windows updates to all the computers on the domain (roughly 600).

In other words, i once brought in my gaming pc, and it downloaded my entire steam library (150 games) overnight.

school internets.PNG

Laptop or desktop?

You left it there overnight?

Where did you leave it that it wouldn't get stolen?

That's some crazy fast internet though.  I'd love to have speeds even close to that fast.

On October 11, 2016 at 2:19 PM, wkdpaul said:

New one from my "special" friend (the one that thinks VRAM is all you need to measure GPU's performance, meaning his GT610 is as good as my old HD7870 since they both have 2GB of VRAM!)

I was talking with him about the Note 7 being discontinued, the conversation goes as follow;

HIM: "OH! I have to check with my work then!"

ME: "Wait, you have a Note 7?"

HIM: "No, but I have to check for my Note 5!"

ME: *lough sigh* ...

HIM: ???

ME: "The Note S E V E N is being recalled and discontinued, not the WHOLE Note series!"

HIM: "Oh?"

... stay tuned for the next dumb story! xD

My brother is like that...  I've tried to tell him that VRAM isn't the only determinant of GPU performance but he keeps saying the card in his MacBook Pro is a good card because it has 2GB of VRAM which is plenty to run games.  

I think it has a R9 M370X which has 2GB GDDR5 VRAM.   Is that decent or bad?  Idk how good/bad it is.

4 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

My brother is like that...  I've tried to tell him that VRAM isn't the only determinant of GPU performance but he keeps saying the card in his MacBook Pro is a good card because it has 2GB of VRAM which is plenty to run games.  

I think it has a R9 M370X which has 2GB GDDR5 VRAM.   Is that decent or bad?  Idk how good/bad it is.

That's the card in the model starting at $2500... It's ok but you can get a better gpu in a windows laptop for like $650-$750 nowadays. Even before pascal it was a bad deal.

"You don't need headphones, all you need is willpower!" ~MicroCenter employee

How to use a WiiMote and Nunchuck as your mouse!

Specs:
Graphics Card: EVGA 750 Ti SC
PSU: Corsair CS450M
RAM: A-Data XPG V1.0 (1x8GB) (Red)
Procrastinator: Intel i5 4690k @ 4.4GHz 1.3V
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black)
Speakers and Headphones: Monitor Speakers and Phlips SHP9500s
MoBo: MSI Z97 PC MATE
SSD: SanDisk Ultra II (240GB)
Monitor: LG 29UM68-P
Mouse: Mionix Naos 7000
Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB (2016) (Browns)

Webcam/mic: Logitech C270

On October 11, 2016 at 2:56 PM, Ryan_Vickers said:

This just gave me a great idea... they should sell addin cards that are nothing but VRAM.  Like, 32 GB of VRAM, but all they do is reroute the iGPU to ports on the card xD 

It'll sell like hotcakes! xD 

Wouldn't that actually help though?

I know it wouldn't make the GPU more powerful but I mean for games that would need more VRAM than was built in then if there was a way to add more it would help by allowing a user to use higher settings than they otherwise could've.  

Assuming that it would work to add more VRAM through a card like that.

For example: Using my old GTX 970 that had 4GB of VRAM I'm pretty sure I wasn't able to max out a few settings on the new Doom game because it locked them out due to detecting that I didn't have enough VRAM.  (This might've happened with Rise of the Tomb Raider but I don't remember for sure.)

So having a little more VRAM would've helped.  It wasn't that my 970 wasn't powerful enough but rather that it lacked enough VRAM.  

On October 11, 2016 at 5:24 PM, Ryan_Vickers said:

When you say "Fast", do you mean like, low input lag so you can game on it?  Because even the best TVs aren't all that fast (a whole frame of lag generally) and there are vrey few models (if any) in any given production year that are that good.  You can check on them all here: http://www.displaylag.com/display-database/ 

Just filter/sort by what you need.

Is that really an issue though?  I mean I've played console games on a TV for years even well before hdtvs were a thing and I don't think it's ever seemed laggy to me.

Lag aside my LG TV has MUCH better color accuracy than my ASUS VG248QE...

(Love everything about my VG248QE EXCEPT the colors.)

5 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Wouldn't that actually help though?

*snip*

No you're overthinking this ;) 

I mean a card that literally just has VRAM chips attached to it, and when you open the device properties, it reports as having that much, but it never actually gets used.  It's literally just a passthrough for your iGPU and does nothing functionally but get sales because people want VRAM xD 

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

3 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

that is well, shit ok so as it is a GCN 1.0 card you can compare the terraflops to other amd gpus from the 7000 series to the 300 series.

well so if to calculate:

640*2*800=1,024 which is 1.02 TFlops so less powerful than the xbox 1 :)

so basically shit

Build

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1600, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Gigabyte X470 Gaming 7. TeamGroup Viper 4133mhz 16gb, XFX RX 480 8 GB (1000mhz cause dying), Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB M.2 SSD, An old 1tb 5400 rpm 2.5" HDD, TeamGroup 480gb & Kingston 480gb ssds (May RAID 0), 1TB Western Ditigal HDD, EVGA 750W G2 PSU, Phanteks P400s

----------X-----------X------------

5 hours ago, RahulR said:

Oh god...  So we had a surge protector's plug in our computer lab "blow up" but was still in the wall and sending electricity. It had the copper wire exposed, and everything. It even burt a student's jacket. The imbecile teachers and technician at my school decided "Yeah it's fine. It's not like it's going to set fire to all these papers, and wood, and metal". Yep. It set fire to all those papers, and wood, and metal and we had the fire department come to our school and everything, and we were all evacuated. How do you become a technician and let something like THAT happen?! Also, when the teacher was calling for the technician, she told him that "a fuse blew" xD I don't think she knows what a fuse is lol

Oh please tell me someone got fired and hopefully arrested for that crap.  ? lol

3 hours ago, BingoFishy said:

Moar MHz is better.

IPC doesn't exist.

Wait, more ISN'T better?!  ?

Thankfully I've learned that with pretty much anything I can think of (CPU, RAM, GPU, etc.) that there isn't a sole determining factor of performance.  

I may not be aware of what all the various factors are for each thing or to what degree each thing affects performance but I at least know it's not determined by just one thing. 

2 hours ago, Lurick said:

Sometimes, you just can't fix stupid and have to let people fail

Unless you're evil though it's the ethical thing to do.  ?

5 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Wait, more ISN'T better?!  ?

Thankfully I've learned that with pretty much anything I can think of (CPU, RAM, GPU, etc.) that there isn't a sole determining factor of performance.  

I may not be aware of what all the various factors are for each thing or to what degree each thing affects performance but I at least know it's not determined by just one thing. 

Sorry. I meant moar MHz is always better.

"You don't need headphones, all you need is willpower!" ~MicroCenter employee

How to use a WiiMote and Nunchuck as your mouse!

Specs:
Graphics Card: EVGA 750 Ti SC
PSU: Corsair CS450M
RAM: A-Data XPG V1.0 (1x8GB) (Red)
Procrastinator: Intel i5 4690k @ 4.4GHz 1.3V
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black)
Speakers and Headphones: Monitor Speakers and Phlips SHP9500s
MoBo: MSI Z97 PC MATE
SSD: SanDisk Ultra II (240GB)
Monitor: LG 29UM68-P
Mouse: Mionix Naos 7000
Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB (2016) (Browns)

Webcam/mic: Logitech C270

2 hours ago, NeXTSalt said:

Hell no, well some times. I saw this one funny Amazon posting where they tried to sell a E8400 as "Gaming Ready" with a super fast 80gb HDD xD, I found the exact old HDD type in my old computer I had since I was 2 years old 

You had a computer at 2 years old?  Lucky! ?

1 hour ago, wkdpaul said:

I have so many that I actually forgot most!!!

But I already started since I post the tech related one here! xD

The main one I keep referring to is VRAM and the fact that he thinks his brand new GT610 is as powerful as my used HD 7870 because they both have 2GB of VRAM.

There was another weird thing today but I forgot...

There isn't a palm that can withstand how hard that electricity thing makes me want to facepalm.  lol

1 hour ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Not everything on Xbox One is 30 fps...

34 minutes ago, BingoFishy said:

That's the card in the model starting at $2500... It's ok but you can get a better gpu in a windows laptop for like $650-$750 nowadays. Even before pascal it was a bad deal.

Yeah he got the better CPU model I believe.  I REALLY wish I could've talked him out of that MacBook Pro...

Sorry I had to merge those... it was just getting too much :P

23 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

No you're overthinking this ;) 

I mean a card that literally just has VRAM chips attached to it, and when you open the device properties, it reports as having that much, but it never actually gets used.  It's literally just a passthrough for your iGPU and does nothing functionally but get sales because people want VRAM xD 

So I actually meant something useful to help people and you meant something devious to screw with them for evil pleasure?  ? ?

(Takes two HUGE steps back.)

I'll be over here so I don't get struck down when a lightning bolt or something awful hits you.  ?

(Mostly kidding I hope you know.)

3 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Sorry I had to merge those... it was just getting too much :P

Mean...  ?  lol

I don't mind I guess but please if you're going to edit my posts at least do me the curtesy of using the edit tag thing to let me know.  (Where it says "edited by" and you can state a reason for the edit.)

It's when I get sneak attacked by a mod that bugs me.    If a mod wants to merge my posts or move where a topic of mine is to a more fitting section of LTT that's all fine but I hate it when a mod does something and doesn't bother to tell me that they've done it.

7 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Sorry I had to merge those

id still love a feature where i can use the "quote this" function while editing , stops double-posts :P 

PSU Tier list

Time for an OFF TOPIC POST!

So I never gave much thought to the Windows 10 Anniversary update when it was announced. About a week ago I wondered if I was even running it and discovered that lo and behold - it was the one update that Windows didn't want to do automatically. No big deal, so I install the update manually, my laptop does the thing, and boom, I have the Anniversary Update.

So I open Messenger (windows app) and OH LORD NO!! PLEASE NOOOOOO!! - Windows now hijacks emojis system wide and replaces them with their own, and they look horrible unless they're super enlarged.

Has anyone else noticed this? Is anyone else as triggered as I am about it? (It even affects emojis in browsers :()

QUOTE ME IF YOU WANT ME TO REPLY

Le USD $300 Second Hand Potato

CPU: Intel i5-750 @ 3.8GHz Motherboard: Intel DP55WG RAM: 12GB Corsair Budget 1333MHz (2x2GB+2x4GB) GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 5750 512MB Case: Cooler Master Elite Storage: Seagate Barracuda 500GB PSU: Cooler Master Generic 500W (came with case) Displays: 21.5" 1080p Acer G226HQL Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB (Mx Reds) Mouse: Logitech G502 Sound: Turtle Beach X12's Operating System: Windows 10

Yep... My peripherals cost me more than the rig itself. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

7 minutes ago, Dargenfire said:

Time for an OFF TOPIC POST!

So I never gave much thought to the Windows 10 Anniversary update when it was announced. About a week ago I wondered if I was even running it and discovered that lo and behold - it was the one update that Windows didn't want to do automatically. No big deal, so I install the update manually, my laptop does the thing, and boom, I have the Anniversary Update.

So I open Messenger (windows app) and OH LORD NO!! PLEASE NOOOOOO!! - Windows now hijacks emojis system wide and replaces them with their own, and they look horrible unless they're super enlarged.

Has anyone else noticed this? Is anyone else as triggered as I am about it? (It even affects emojis in browsers :()

do not have it

Build

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1600, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Gigabyte X470 Gaming 7. TeamGroup Viper 4133mhz 16gb, XFX RX 480 8 GB (1000mhz cause dying), Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB M.2 SSD, An old 1tb 5400 rpm 2.5" HDD, TeamGroup 480gb & Kingston 480gb ssds (May RAID 0), 1TB Western Ditigal HDD, EVGA 750W G2 PSU, Phanteks P400s

----------X-----------X------------