Windows 10 May 2020 Update - Here is everything you need to know - Out now!!!

GoodBytes

I must say this is a pretty big update in terms of new features and a lot of them are quite significant. Looking forward to it.

23 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Windows Subsystem for Linux – 2 (WSL 2)

Some notes:

• WSL2 does use some of the core Hyper-V components which may block some VMs from working.
  • Due to its new architecture, one thing you may notice, is that if your use a VPN under Windows, under Linux, it won’t have access to the same private network, so you need to setup a VPN access in there as well… maybe there is a way to not have to do this, but I haven’t found it personally.

Regarding the Windows VPN traversal issue: that makes sense. Being essentially a VM with additional API integration, the network stack in Linux is most likely being bridged through the NIC and not going through Winsock. IMHO this is a "good thing".

22 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

Though, since all user built PCs are not going to have custom firmware to be able to download Windows 10 without any form of operating system at all, this will be a lot less useful than it would appear at first glance. 

It's likely going to live in the EFI partition, so yes everyone's gonna have it once Windows has been installed the first time. 

16 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

It was in and out, in and out, in and out...(at least on the Insider program between builds) I don't even know anymore... now it is supposed to be "officially" in.

Had it on release for as long as I can remember... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

That reset feature is so long overdue 

On 4/11/2020 at 10:43 PM, GoodBytes said:

Microsoft has improved Search Indexer by adding some logic to it of when it should kick-in. If you are playing a game or you are on Battery Saver mode, it will no longer kick-in, and if it has started before either, it will stop automatically.

Oh my god, FINALLY! I've been whining about this ever since Windows 10 was first released! Only took them 4 years to do something so simple and yet important, for fuck's sakes!

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

50 minutes ago, StDragon said:

Regarding the Windows VPN traversal issue: that makes sense. Being essentially a VM with additional API integration, the network stack in Linux is most likely being bridged through the NIC and not going through Winsock. IMHO this is a "good thing".

The VPN problem was an issue to me even before in WSL 1, but mainly because of network names not being passed to the VPN DNS server because of an incorrect /etc/resolv.conf file the WSL created

At least now I could connect directly the openvpn client (SSH only), even though without X.org + Remmina I would use the Windows RDP client + two simultaneous VPN client connections

On 4/11/2020 at 3:43 PM, GoodBytes said:

cloud.png.6a7c6cd7c913d83eef557d2f1317c3ff.png

Could this be.... Finally, the ability to truly have a 100% clean install that doesn't leave broken drivers behind?

Also, the Kaomoji thing.... don't we already have that? I sure do.

I welcome the ability to change the default sandbox environment. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

13 minutes ago, steelo said:

Ugh...I wonder what's going to break that worked fine before...

When someone comes to me with a Windows 10 machine - it's very frustrating to deal with,consumer grade Windows OSes used to be reliable and clean,nowadays they are bloated,buggy and does whatever it wants,also the UI is from hell.

Windows 10 users have always been beta testers for us Windows Server users,

Microsoft will clean the update from unnecessary bloated features and gimmicks,test it and release it to us as usual.

Anyway i think micro$oft should have stuck to the model they used with past Windows entries,waking up to a different UI everyday is frustrating since you can't get used to a UI that is always changing.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

Thank You, this is very helpful as I need to update soon

1 hour ago, Chunchunmaru_ said:

The VPN problem was an issue to me even before in WSL 1, but mainly because of network names not being passed to the VPN DNS server because of an incorrect /etc/resolv.conf file the WSL created

At least now I could connect directly the openvpn client (SSH only), even though without X.org + Remmina I would use the Windows RDP client + two simultaneous VPN client connections

If the host name you're attempting to resolve is a Public TLD (.com, .net, etc), often split DNS issues come into play. The real test for VPN traversal is validating your route and seeing if you can reach other side by IP alone.

One work-around is to modify your HOST file. It's the ugly way of doing it, but it does get the job done in regards to host name resolution.

On 4/11/2020 at 4:07 PM, DrMacintosh said:

omfg, hell is freezing over. Microsoft is thinking about users!

Now if only Mac would make their machines be user servicable/upgradeable and get rid of the "authorized" repair center BS.

Alienware Area 51m 2019:  RTX 2060 | i7-9700 | 32GB Corsair Vengeance (2x16GB) 2666 | 1TB 970 EVO | 240GB Corsair Force MP510.

https://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/user_summary.php?s=&u=812790

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/NZKshatriya/saved/

BACKUP SYSTEM:  ASUS Prime X470 PRO | Ryzen 5 1600 | G.skill FORTIS 16GB(2x8GB) 2400 | SanDisk SDSSDA 120GB | EVGA SuperNOVA GA 850 | HAF-XB-EVO

I support compatibility/bug fixes and security over new features.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

2 hours ago, NZKshatriya said:

Now if only Mac would make their machines be user servicable/upgradeable and get rid of the "authorized" repair center BS.

That's not Apple's MO. They don't sell you hardware. They sell you a service, it's that the hardware comes included as part of the package; and it's locked down to keep it that way.

Now whether or not you agree with partaking in that ecosystem is another matter entirely. But it is what it is. From Apple's perspective you can take it or leave it.

Any info on when is this "soon"? I'm interested to fiddle with quite some of the features mentioned here, but not ready to go with all that fast ring crap.

On 4/11/2020 at 3:43 PM, GoodBytes said:

Kaomoji support

Kaomoji has been added to the emoji/symbols panel (Win+[.]).

Spoiler

emoji.png.6513873aed6bd541fb64ac05f7f38871.png

Hell yes now I dont have to CopyPaste ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ anymore and switch font back to auto-default when I do!

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

13 hours ago, StDragon said:

From Apple's perspective you can take it or leave it.

And until they are forced to (if ever) they are not going to change it, they are after a full vertical monopoly. And any kind of monopoly only hurts consumers.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

1 hour ago, RejZoR said:

Any info on when is this "soon"? I'm interested to fiddle with quite some of the features mentioned here, but not ready to go with all that fast ring crap.

New rumors suggests it will be end up being renamed to May 2020 Update, and release in May, due to the current situation.

16 minutes ago, Arika S said:

And until they are forced to (if ever) they are not going to change it, they are after a full vertical monopoly. And any kind of monopoly only hurts consumers.

This word “monopoly”. I don’t think it means what you think it means.

i think I get what you are saying though.  You want to use non Apple hardware to run Apple software, because Apple has better software who’s cost is built into their hardware.  Being able to use hardware with those costs not built in is of course cheaper.  The problem I personally have is they tend to use hardware I don’t want.  I don’t begrudge them the charge for their hardware.  I do wish they’d use more powerful GPUs though.  Also their desktop designs haven’t fit my needs in a long time.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

33 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

New rumors suggests it will be end up being renamed to May 2020 Update, and release in May, due to the current situation.

Is the current build in the preview ring/ RTM build stable( as if no annoying bugs, performance is normal) ? 

8 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

This word “monopoly”. I don’t think it means what you think it means.

i think I get what you are saying though.  You want to use non Apple hardware to run Apple software, because Apple has better software who’s cost is built into their hardware.  Being able to use hardware with those costs not built in is of course cheaper.  The problem I personally have is they tend to use hardware I don’t want.  I don’t begrudge them the charge for their hardware.  I do wish they’d use more powerful GPUs though.  Also their desktop designs haven’t fit my needs in a long time.

I remember a time when starting with the Apple II, as a company they were making headway into US public classrooms more so than IBM ever could imagine. They continued on through the days of the Macintosh with Clarisworks being the word processor of choice. They had that momentum, and they gave it up! Today, Google Chromebook takes its place.

IMHO, Apple died the day Jobs did. While Cook is a good leader, it took a visionary to tread new ground; and Cook ain't that.

Anyone remember the Apple Pippin? Effectively the Apple TV is an iOS based game console. Too bad Apple hasn't leveraged that market. They have everything in place to make it happen. All the need is for the next version to have a more powerful A series chip to compete against the Nintendo Switch in terms of performance in addition to biting into their targeted gaming audience too (the very young and entire family).

3 hours ago, Yongtjunkit said:

Is the current build in the preview ring/ RTM build stable( as if no annoying bugs, performance is normal) ? 

All I can share is my experience. I don't have access to Microsoft telemetry data.

For me, on my system, things are stable with the latest build. Performance is one I can only speak for office and software development side, as gaming is something I can't enjoy on my PC at the moment due to its aged old specs. On this forum, under the Windows Insider thread, there was one person who raised performance issues on his games, but that was several builds ago. I don't know if its been rectified, or if it was affecting him only. They aren't many people from this forum who partake in the Insider program, or at least that actively participate in that thread.

I am on the Fast Ring which is supposed to be the least stable build but the latest. That said, Slow Ring is supposed to be a more deeply tested version. Then you have the Release Preview Ring, which focuses more on app changes, and they only get a new release of Windows when it reaches the final stage of testing. If you wonder, this build has yet to be released there.

That said, Microsoft, and same here, suggest to have a good backup going if you plan to join the Insider program, and be prepared to clean install Windows 10 at any time, 'cause you just never know.

8 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

All I can share is my experience. I don't have access to Microsoft telemetry data.

For me, on my system, things are stable with the latest build. Performance is one I can only speak for office and software development side, as gaming is something I can't enjoy on my PC at the moment due to its aged old specs. On this forum, under the Windows Insider thread, there was one person who raised performance issues on his games, but that was several builds ago. I don't know if its been rectified, or if it was affecting him only. They aren't many people from this forum who partake in the Insider program, or at least that actively participate in that thread.

I am on the Fast Ring which is supposed to be the least stable build but the latest. That said, Slow Ring is supposed to be a more deeply tested version. Then you have teh Release Preview Ring, which focuses more on app changes, and they only get a new release of Windows when it reaches the final stage of testing. If you wonder, this build has yet to be released there.

For me I was able to make things stable.  Eventually.  It requires me abandoning $700 worth of otherwise totally functional hardware.

3 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

For me I was able to make things stable.  Eventually.  It requires me abandoning $700 worth of otherwise totally functional hardware.

So then it is not stable. 

On 4/12/2020 at 3:43 AM, GoodBytes said:

Kaomoji support

Kaomoji has been added to the emoji/symbols panel (Win+[.]).

emoji.png.6513873aed6bd541fb64ac05f7f38871.png

Not new? I'm on 1909.

image.png.539fe9da75116637a4173f2b2ed89566.png

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |