Windows 10 May 2020 Update - Here is everything you need to know - Out now!!!

GoodBytes
On 6/19/2020 at 4:06 PM, RejZoR said:

Icon in taskbar shows "No internet" yet internet works just fine.

Do you happen to use a proxy or a VPN? I think I saw a report where the https:// version of the msftconnect.com may confuse the connection check due to this.

On 6/19/2020 at 3:06 PM, RejZoR said:

Great, 2004 was delayed for my laptop and it installed yesterday, just to have the exact same networking issue. Icon in taskbar shows "No internet" yet internet works just fine. WTF Microsoft...

Sounds like it might be a DNS issue.

Windows checks Internet connectivity by accessing www.msftncsi.com. If you can't reach that domain for some reason, Windows will think it can't access the Internet.

Also worth noting that Microsoft records all the IPs that access that domain, so some privacy tools will disable access to it.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/windows/it-pro/windows-vista/cc766017(v=ws.10)?redirectedfrom=MSDN

IIS logs are stored on the server at www.msftncsi.com. These logs contain the time of each access and the IP address recorded for that access. These IP addresses are not used to identify users, and in many cases, they are the address of a network address translation (NAT) computer or proxy server, not a specific client behind that NAT computer or proxy server.

Nope, while I am using NextDNS, checking its logs and dns.msftncsi.com is resolving without being blocked. Will reset network adapter and reinstall NextDNS client just to be sure if update screwed something up.

I haven't used my in PC in a few weeks, I finally sat down at it last night and the update finished off,  the first and only thing I noticed was the annoying way in which they pushed edge.  There was no way to close the window and say no thanks with out the old ctrl/alt/del and end task.   Pretty unhappy with that experience.   At least it never came back.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

1 hour ago, mr moose said:

I haven't used my in PC in a few weeks, I finally sat down at it last night and the update finished off,  the first and only thing I noticed was the annoying way in which they pushed edge.  There was no way to close the window and say no thanks with out the old ctrl/alt/del and end task.   Pretty unhappy with that experience.   At least it never came back.

Welcome to how Microsoft treats users who goes against their will. Now just wait until someone starts accusing you of "messing with windows" when something else breaks in Windows because "you force quit that dialog box". 

19 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Welcome to how Microsoft treats users who goes against their will. Now just wait until someone starts accusing you of "messing with windows" when something else breaks in Windows because "you force quit that dialog box". 

There is a big difference between closing down an annoying app that runs only on the surface ring and messing with complex updates that effect every ring.  

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I updated 5 machines and didn't have to force close anything...

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

8 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

I updated 5 machines and didn't have to force close anything...

You didn't get a big "welcome to edge" pop up on first boot? 

11 minutes ago, mr moose said:

I wouldn't be surprised if soon people will start calling you a liar, that you made the whole thing up and that Microsoft would never make a pop up like that.

4 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

I wouldn't be surprised if soon people will start calling you a liar, that you made the whole thing up and that Microsoft would never make a pop up like that.

If it turns out I am the only one then so be it, people can knock themselves out calling me what ever they want. 

It's not like I am trying to circumvent updates that effect all software at ring 1 and 2 and then carry on about it effecting everyone and being someone else's fault.

Sure, but I could just close it normally. Don't even remember how since it was straightforward in a couple of seconds...

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

GPD Win 2

2 hours ago, mr moose said:

If it turns out I am the only one then so be it, people can knock themselves out calling me what ever they want. 

It's not like I am trying to circumvent updates that effect all software at ring 1 and 2 and then carry on about it effecting everyone and being someone else's fault.

Do you mean this?

edge-your-privacy-our-priority-setup-1440x900.png

(well the above is "beta" but assume none beta one)

If that is case, it just tells you that Edge icon has changed, as the web browser has changed.

You have that if you have never installed the new Edge web browser previously.

Sorry, but not everyone looks at microsoft.com or linustechtips.com for the latest news. A lot of people where be "Where is the blue E?"

So, yea, it needs to be there.

30 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Do you mean this?

-snip

If that is case, it just tells you that Edge icon has changed, as the web browser has changed.

Sorry, but not everyone looks at microsoft.com or linustechtips.com for the latest news. A lot of people where be "Where is the blue E?"

How in the hell do I get it to never do that again? The only way I managed to close that window is via Task Manager and killing the process.

I'd also like to uninstall Edge as I have no intention of ever using it, however Windows will not let me, even via powershell.

I can't even remove the shortcut from my desktop.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

28 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

How in the hell do I get it to never do that again?

It will not do that again.

The only way I managed to close that window is via Task Manager and killing the process.

Or just pick "Get started", then close the web browser.

I'd also like to uninstall Edge as I have no intention of ever using it, however Windows will not let me, even via powershell.

They are no official way to remove the web browser. I think it is perfectly attentional so that people don't screw themselves by uninstalling their only web browser. Especially those with one PC. If you didn't upgrade to the latest version, then an update would be delivered at some point for older versions of Windows 10 with the new Edge web browser. The old one has had no support for over a year now.

It installed on a Dell laptop. No noticeable problems so far. My only suggestion is that Microsoft should bring back old Edge’s PDF viewer to the new Chromium based Edge because I no longer want to use the garbage Adobe Reader. 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

4 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

It will not do that again.

Or just pick "Get started", then close the web browser.

They are no official way to remove the web browser. I think it is perfectly attentional so that people don't screw themselves by uninstalling their only web browser. Especially those with one PC. If you didn't upgrade to the latest version, then an update would be delivered at some point for older versions of Windows 10 with the new Edge web browser. The old one has had no support for over a year now.

I wish I could remove the shortcut at least so it isn't cluttering up my desktop.

As long as it never opens that window again, I won't care. I severely detest the design implementation of "a browser window that cannot be closed except for clicking something inside that browser window.". Primarily because that's something I've only ever seen in malware.

56 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

I wish I could remove the shortcut at least so it isn't cluttering up my desktop.

And of course you can do that like with any other shortcut/file...

F@H

GPD Win 2

Nope, reset all the networking stuff, reinstalled NextDNS and it's still showing "No internet": I need to restart system for it to go away. Every time from sleep and it shows this crap. Wasn't happening with Windows 10 1909. Dafaq...

8 hours ago, Trik'Stari said:

How in the hell do I get it to never do that again? The only way I managed to close that window is via Task Manager and killing the process.

Glad I am not the only one. 

8 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Do you mean this?

edge-your-privacy-our-priority-setup-1440x900.png

Yep that's it,  no option other than to click through the process which I did not want to do.

Yep that's it,  no option other than to click through the process which I did not want to do.

I dislike that because it normalizes the existence of browser windows that can only be closed by clicking something inside that browser window, which is something malware usually does.