Windows 10 May 2020 Update - Here is everything you need to know - Out now!!!

GoodBytes
3 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

So then it is not stable. 

Definitions.  I can play games on it.  I had to buy a new card no faster than the old card and I had to abandon my working 30” 144hz 1440p monitor for a much older 24” 1080p monitor with hdmi.  I’m still mad.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

3 hours ago, xAcid9 said:

Not new? I'm on 1909.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Oh I see, my notes where partially incorrect as well (wow I screwed up), I had another look through the release notes, and yes, you are right it was in 1909, but they added more of them. I'll correct this in my main post. Apologies for this. I'll be more careful next time. Thanks!

1 hour ago, Bombastinator said:

Definitions.  I can play games on it.  I had to buy a new card no faster than the old card and I had to abandon my working 30” 144hz 1440p monitor for a much older 24” 1080p monitor with hdmi.  I’m still mad.

Why not post Feedback with great details and leave the Insider program or switch to the Slow Ring? Why buy new hardware? If you can return your purchase, I would do that.

Why exactly would you have needed to do that?

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

In addition, Windows Search will be less taking on developers, because it will now auto ignore things like repositories data folders (.git, .hg, .svn, .Nuget, etc).

Thank goodness.

21 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

All I can share is my experience. I don't have access to Microsoft telemetry data.

For me, on my system, things are stable with the latest build. Performance is one I can only speak for office and software development side, as gaming is something I can't enjoy on my PC at the moment due to its aged old specs. On this forum, under the Windows Insider thread, there was one person who raised performance issues on his games, but that was several builds ago. I don't know if its been rectified, or if it was affecting him only. They aren't many people from this forum who partake in the Insider program, or at least that actively participate in that thread.

I am on the Fast Ring which is supposed to be the least stable build but the latest. That said, Slow Ring is supposed to be a more deeply tested version. Then you have the Release Preview Ring, which focuses more on app changes, and they only get a new release of Windows when it reaches the final stage of testing. If you wonder, this build has yet to be released there.

That said, Microsoft, and same here, suggest to have a good backup going if you plan to join the Insider program, and be prepared to clean install Windows 10 at any time, 'cause you just never know.

I see, I do see that there's some website reporting that there's already an RTM build out there and it's available to download build 19041, rarely play games on my laptop

Side note: I do daily drive beta builds of ios 13.4.5 and also Ubuntu 20.04 (running Pihole) so hoping that windows 10 2004 isn't bad as well(shouldn't be at this stage) and used to run early development version of windows 20H1 on my old laptop( daily drive as I don't have a new laptop at that time), hoping windows 10 2004 to be usuable like the other OS 

Update: just updated to version 2004, so far so good.... other than some upgrade issues( can be resolved manually), Suprisingly edge legacy is still not been replaced in this release with the new version of edge....

I think this is new in version 2004, the ability for task manager to show removable devices such as pendrive/SD card, version 1909 and older only show HDD/SSD only(pendrive and SD card doesn't show up)

image.png.55a05e10cb0bdb72213f3f4857f750b2.png

Rather good more of improvement update overall really.

Good Task Manager added info. DX12 Ultimate new feature set. For multi-monitor support "Reduces stuttering when an app window is moved to another monitor which has a different refresh rate than the primary monitor." Awesome. Cloud reset is a neat option. My internet is garbage so not for me. 

Very good.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

What I wonder the most is those graphic features if they'll affect anything straight out of the gate or we'll have to wait for NVIDIA and AMD to update drivers and games have some magical support and you have to own RTX card. That direct communication with the GPU should lower any kind of overheads.

I'm hearing rumours that this is getting pushed back to a May release, nothing concrete but i thought I'd mention it. The fact its only just moved from Fast Ring to Slow Ring isn't exactly a good indicator either.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

updated to the latest build and the search high CPU usage bug has returned. Temporary bandaged by restricting search indexing locations.

On 4/15/2020 at 3:07 PM, Master Disaster said:

I'm hearing rumours that this is getting pushed back to a May release, nothing concrete but i thought I'd mention it. The fact its only just moved from Fast Ring to Slow Ring isn't exactly a good indicator either.

Sounds likely at this point since I believe Microsoft only releases new feature update on patch Tuesday? 

Edit: looks like it's going to be called the may 2020 update

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2020/04/16/getting-the-may-2020-update-ready-for-release/

6 hours ago, Yongtjunkit said:

Sounds likely at this point since I believe Microsoft only releases new feature update on patch Tuesday? 

Edit: looks like it's going to be called the may 2020 update

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2020/04/16/getting-the-may-2020-update-ready-for-release/

TBH I'd rather they take their time and get it right.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

1 hour ago, Master Disaster said:

TBH I'd rather they take their time and get it right.

Yup, when it releases next month it won’t be instantly available to everyone unless you manually choose to update... or you are one of the 1st people to get it in the 1st wave 

switched mine from the slow ring to release preview ring since it’s now available under the release preview ring

Google... Apple... Helping each other?!?! Wow. It is all for good reason though... 

12 hours ago, mrthuvi said:

updated to the latest build and the search high CPU usage bug has returned. Temporary bandaged by restricting search indexing locations.

Well it is normal after an install/upgrade that Search Indexer is busy. Also it would depend on your settings. If you decided to go your hole drive, or have TB of data in your personal folders, it will take time.

I've decided to install Windows 10 My 2020 update via Slow Ring and for some reason I'm not getting Hardware-accelerated GPU scheduling option. Not only that, my menu to get there is entirely different. or shall I say the same as it always was. On all images Graphic Settings is displayed on top of Display menu and for me it's at the bottom where it always was. And I was most interested in seeing if this thing makes any difference. I'm running GTX 1080Ti so I don't think the card is too old...

EDIT:

Also, was there any mention of changes regarding peripherals? Mice in particular. My mouse Logitech G502 feels super weird after May 2020 update. A bit on desktop and in Killing Floor 2, the game I played just hours ago and was fine, now feels like those really cheap Unity games where you look around and it feels like you have a pole stuck up your rear. That kind of wrong mouselook feel.

On 4/13/2020 at 4:49 PM, Bombastinator said:

For me I was able to make things stable.  Eventually.  It requires me abandoning $700 worth of otherwise totally functional hardware.

Why be a lab rat for micro$ft when you can use something more stable?

I personally use Windows Server 2019 which is significantly better and more stable than the normal version of Windows 10.

And i have Windows 7 in dual-boot which is necessary for my overclocking adventures - in many workloads and benchmarks Windows 7 performs better than Windows server and 10.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

Nope, something is horribly wrong with build 2004. Killing Floor 2 is basically unplayable now. It just gets so weird to look around with mouse I can't stand it. Eh.

EDIT:

It was so bad I rolled back to 1909... Lets see if I'll still have this nonsense...

6 hours ago, RejZoR said:

Nope, something is horribly wrong with build 2004. Killing Floor 2 is basically unplayable now. It just gets so weird to look around with mouse I can't stand it. Eh.

EDIT:

It was so bad I rolled back to 1909... Lets see if I'll still have this nonsense...

Was it only happening in Killing Floor 2?

29 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Was it only happening in Killing Floor 2?

Dunno, it's the game I play the most where I noticed it first. I've rolled back to 1909 and now I've switched from Slow Ring to Release Preview now. I got the same version 2004, but I didn't memorize the  build numbers between them, Release preview is 19041.207. I'm frankly a bit confused at the moment whether Slow Ring should be the more stable or the Release Preview. It's ordered weirdly and also explained in the same way. Release preview should be above Slow Ring if you ask me but whatever.

I didn't notice this performance weirdness in Release preview. I still don't have the "Hardware-accelerated GPU scheduling" thing where it should be. A bit weird and I wonder what's the limiting factor for it. X99 platform? Coz everything else is rather modern...

Oh wow... Stupid Windows also "re-installed" my display drivers. To ones from freaking July 2019... No wonder games run like shit.

EDIT:

What the actual fuck Microsoft. Reinstalled ForceWare 445.87 (15th April 2020 driver) clean. Rebooted and guess was installed after reboot? ForceWare 432.00 from 24.07.2019. What the hell is this BS ?!?!?!??!?!!?

EDIT2:

Ran over DDU and removed the mess and rebooted. Guess what got installed 10 seconds into desktop. Yup, that f**king ancient 432.00 driver. I ran new one over with clean install once more and now it stuck. I wonder for how long before Windows suddenly decides it wants some nostalgia back with 432.00 driver. It'll probably happen in 2 weeks time so I won't even consider it to be a problem, everything will just run like crap and I'll be doing debugging again for hours before figuring it's poo driver. Microsoft, why you do this s**t? WHY?!

@RejZoR

And this is why i killed WU on my gaming system.... If i flip it on i want to relax and not wasting my time fixin failsofts yet another faulty bodge update....

2 hours ago, RejZoR said:

Oh wow... Stupid Windows also "re-installed" my display drivers. To ones from freaking July 2019... No wonder games run like shit.

EDIT:

What the actual fuck Microsoft. Reinstalled ForceWare 445.87 (15th April 2020 driver) clean. Rebooted and guess was installed after reboot? ForceWare 432.00 from 24.07.2019. What the hell is this BS ?!?!?!??!?!!?

EDIT2:

Ran over DDU and removed the mess and rebooted. Guess what got installed 10 seconds into desktop. Yup, that f**king ancient 432.00 driver. I ran new one over with clean install once more and now it stuck. I wonder for how long before Windows suddenly decides it wants some nostalgia back with 432.00 driver. It'll probably happen in 2 weeks time so I won't even consider it to be a problem, everything will just run like crap and I'll be doing debugging again for hours before figuring it's poo driver. Microsoft, why you do this s**t? WHY?!

When you "update" Windows to a new version, you are really doing a clean install of Windows, but your and program data files are kept, and registry is transferred. Drivers are fetched from WU.

That said, from that point on, (I need a confirmation on this from your guys, as all my hardware no longer have updates to their drivers due to their age), but now drivers should be marked as optional updates, and no longer be installed automatically.

https://www.ghacks.net/2019/09/18/microsoft-restores-optional-updates-listing-in-windows-10-version-20h1/

Please note that, I am seeking confirmation, as I don't know for sure if it made the cut or not (sometimes MS removes features at the last minute, for the following version due to detected issues). So that is why I didn't mentioned it in my notes. I was hopping to get a confirmation by someone or source, but not as of yet.

Ah, remember the cursor color/size I wrongly mentioned in my notes (fixed). What I wanted to say (in my notes, I believe), is that now you can make it easier to find (if you have trouble) the text cursor, by adding highlighting pointed at the top and bottom of it.

2141167052_Annotation2020-04-18143848.thumb.png.974d1680dd27c1879697118e2e0e608d.png

I'll add it to the minor points

I didn't look at drivers because my AE-9 drivers were all the same as before, same with killer Network drivers. Only NVIDIA driver was all screwed up and I only noticed it because NV Control Panel didn't have Low Latency Mode. And that looked weird. So I checked the version and it was prehistoric.