Windows 10 May 2020 Update - Here is everything you need to know - Out now!!!

GoodBytes
3 hours ago, RejZoR said:

Dunno, it's the game I play the most where I noticed it first. I've rolled back to 1909 and now I've switched from Slow Ring to Release Preview now. I got the same version 2004, but I didn't memorize the  build numbers between them, Release preview is 19041.207. I'm frankly a bit confused at the moment whether Slow Ring should be the more stable or the Release Preview. It's ordered weirdly and also explained in the same way. Release preview should be above Slow Ring if you ask me but whatever.

I didn't notice this performance weirdness in Release preview. I still don't have the "Hardware-accelerated GPU scheduling" thing where it should be. A bit weird and I wonder what's the limiting factor for it. X99 platform? Coz everything else is rather modern...

The rings (outside of Microsoft, the public ones) are as followed:

[Internal MS ones] > Fast > Slow > Release Preview > Official release (RTM) > LTSB

• Fast - Least stable. Expect problem. Expect to be in a A/B program for features or even bug/security fixes. You don't know which A/B you are in, not what you have or don't, unless mentioned in the Insider blog posts of Microsoft, where you'll noticed a mentioned feature or fix, you have yet to have, despite the same build number. (usually you get it the following one if you don't, so the following week). Updates are released each week (on average).

• Slow - More stable. Contains the best of A/B testing results from fast ring testers, and additional fixes may be included (Fast ring would have these newer fixes on their newer builds). Updates are released each month (on average).

• Release Preview - See it as a Release Candidate. At this stage, Microsoft takes the best of the best, and start releasing cumulative updates to fix remaining bugs. 

• Official (RTM) - Official version that everyone can get.

• LTS - Long Term Servicing Branch - Only availible to non-consumer version of Windows 10. Official version with all the cumulative updates included that came after, after a certain point in time.

Can anyone with version 2004 please try dragging CPU-Z's window around their desktop? In my case it drags around like it has a massive 2 second input delay and it just floats stubbornly around as I'm dragging it. No other window or program does this, just CPU-Z. WTF

1 hour ago, RejZoR said:

Can anyone with version 2004 please try dragging CPU-Z's window around their desktop? In my case it drags around like it has a massive 2 second input delay and it just floats stubbornly around as I'm dragging it. No other window or program does this, just CPU-Z. WTF

I installed CPU-Z 1.9.1 - English.

Installed on my desktop (Core i7 930 - GeForce 680 - 6GB of RAM), and Surface Pro 3 (Core i5 4300U - 8GB of RAM - Intel int. Graph), and no issues with it.

Another minor thing I forgot to add (added now). Notepad can be uninstalled (via optional feature panel), and installed back from the Microsoft Store.

21 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Another minor thing I forgot to add (added now). Notepad can be uninstalled (via optional feature panel), and installed back from the Microsoft Store.

Any difference between both version? 

2 hours ago, Yongtjunkit said:

Any difference between both version? 

Beside the new icon it has, Nope. I think Microsoft wants to allow itself to release updates of Notepad without having to wait for a new version of Windows to be released.

Exciting updates for us running WSL. Hope to get my hands on it in May and not have it pushed back to June. Probably get the update on my work computer in a couple years lol.

On 4/19/2020 at 2:01 PM, GoodBytes said:

I installed CPU-Z 1.9.1 - English.

Installed on my desktop (Core i7 930 - GeForce 680 - 6GB of RAM), and Surface Pro 3 (Core i5 4300U - 8GB of RAM - Intel int. Graph), and no issues with it.

That's weird. I've also tried HWInfo and it's experiencing same thing. I wonder what's causing this, must be something related to sensors polling timings or something. I do run MSI Afterburner which is doing same monitoring, maybe it's related to that.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/20/2020 at 9:35 PM, GoodBytes said:

Beside the new icon it has, Nope. I think Microsoft wants to allow itself to release updates of Notepad without having to wait for a new version of Windows to be released.

but it's notepad....how much can they really update? What needs updating? Why needs updating?

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

image.png.6fa2b506988785b4665db3b43230a73b.png

That's a really odd looking Windows XP start button... Oh Microsoft. 

For context:

Spoiler

Windows xp start button png, Windows xp start button png ...

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

It's seems to be scheduled for the end of Mai for mainstream, but could be available as early as the 12th for people who want it early.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-rolls-out-windows-10-2004-release-preview-ahead-of-expected-may-release-to-mainstream-users/

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

24 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

It's seems to be scheduled for the end of Mai for mainstream, but could be available as early as the 12th for people who want it early.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-rolls-out-windows-10-2004-release-preview-ahead-of-expected-may-release-to-mainstream-users/

i dont touch my updates at all once i've set up active times, my laptop still hasn't even downloaded 1909 yet. 

1903 didn't install until 30/8/2019

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

37 minutes ago, Arika S said:

1903 didn't install until 30/8/2019

Yep this is what happens when you don;t mess with the update system,  windows would have detected Hardware that was not compatible with the 1903 and so it didn't upgrade until sufficient testing was done.  I had the same thing with my old desktop which was perpetually stuck on 1803 due to old hardware not being supported.   Can't say it ever bothered me though, having a reliable PC has always been more important than having the latest.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

8 minutes ago, mr moose said:

windows would have detected Hardware that was not compatible with the 1903 and so it didn't upgrade until sufficient testing was done. 

well it is a surface pro 6. so they probably leave those to last to keep up the air to reliability that they market them with.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

6 hours ago, Arika S said:

but it's notepad....how much can they really update? What needs updating? Why needs updating?

A few years ago they did actually update Notepad. It's usually years upon years between updates but they do happen.

Last time they added high DPI display support (or at least made it better), the ability to hold ctrl and scroll to zoom in/out, and they also added support for the Unix standard line ending (LF) and Mac line ending (CR).

Let's just hope Microsoft doesn't mess with Notepad any further. I absolutely love Notepad++ and its plugins and stuff, and I rarely use Notepad myself. But there is a great appeal to simple programs that "just werk", and Notepad is one of them. It's such a basic tool. If Notepad is a hammer, Notepad++ is a nailgun, and I certainly wouldn't want to someone to try and "improve" hammers.

4 hours ago, mr moose said:

Yep this is what happens when you don;t mess with the update system,  windows would have detected Hardware that was not compatible with the 1903 and so it didn't upgrade until sufficient testing was done.  I had the same thing with my old desktop which was perpetually stuck on 1803 due to old hardware not being supported.   Can't say it ever bothered me though, having a reliable PC has always been more important than having the latest.

And by "mess with the update system" you mean doing things like, click "check for updates".

Still super pissed at Microsoft for treating people who click "check for updates" as beta testers.

5 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

And by "mess with the update system" you mean doing things like, click "check for updates".

Still super pissed at Microsoft for treating people who click "check for updates" as beta testers.

Agreed, this is stupid

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

2 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

No, I mean trying to disable them altogether,  constantly delaying, not setting working hours,  fucking with any part of windows in an attempt to avoid updates. 

Don't worry, I am still pissed with MS for that one too.   They really fucked up while they do not put appropriate warnings on the "check for updates" button.  Make no mistake about that.   They are more than happy to have Recommended settings and default settings and warnings for when you stray away from best practice, but that button should have had those warnings too.  And given what it does it should not be so prominent.  It should be tucked away down the bottom under an Advanced user controls tab or something.  

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

On 5/7/2020 at 9:33 AM, LAwLz said:

Last time they added high DPI display support (or at least made it better), the ability to hold ctrl and scroll to zoom in/out, and they also added support for the Unix standard line ending (LF) and Mac line ending (CR).

So that's why my OpenVPN configurations I use on Windows clients can be edited from Windows 10 but not from  Windows 7, good to know

However, I'd really wish some useful and optional features in notepad, like very very basic syntax highlighting and multi tabbing, something that wouldn't mess that much with what everyone is used to, they partially did this to windows explorer (even if it's still missing multi-tab here) 

And I hope no UWP apps like Paint 3D are planned, unless it's something like the new screen capture app

Seems like 2020 will release on Patch Tuesday of this month (May 12th).

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

26 minutes ago, Chunchunmaru_ said:

However, I'd really wish some useful and optional features in notepad, like very very basic syntax highlighting and multi tabbing, something that wouldn't mess that much with what everyone is used to, they partially did this to windows explorer (even if it's still missing multi-tab here) 

Notepad is designed to be as lightweight as possible and is literally just for taking notes and basic word input.

If you want a more feature rich "notepad", there's Notepad++.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

On 5/7/2020 at 9:33 AM, LAwLz said:

Isn't that history already? Now you get a section below for "early access" to updates that you have to individually click to get.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

@GoodBytes Heya! I'm not trying to make this sound like a troubleshooting post, just as a question but, has Windows-10's "Movies & TV" app been changed in any way in this update? I ask because of two reasons:

> It doesn't say anything about this app in the OP from what I've read thus far

> And also because I installed the update as I was going to bed last night, I woke up not so long ago, and now I can't play .MP4 files at all? :(

EDIT: Read My next comment, misunderstood a couple of things

Edited by Xiauj

Hey I'm Xiauj ^_^ Wassup :3

The Movies and TV app regularly gets updates on its own through Windows Store, unrelated to the Windows build

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2