Razer CEO Berated And Threatened His Staff, Former Employees Say

Shaggy25

Min-Liang Tan, Razer CEO, is described as a tyrant and a dictator by former employees. He's being accused of firing people because he was in a bad mood or displeased with the results of unreasonable expectations.

Some quotes from the article:

Min-Liang Tan was “officially pissed off,” he wrote in an email to members of Razer’s marketing team in February of 2014. The gaming hardware company hadn’t made the business website Fast Company’s 2014 list of “Most Innovative Companies,” and in his email, part of an exchange obtained by Kotaku, Tan asked of his marketing employees, “Are you guys fucking off?”

Tan has developed a reputation for being a tempestuous, volatile boss, according to interviews with 14 former employees, most of whom spoke anonymously out of fear of repercussions.

Five former employees said Tan and other executives would talk up how much money they’d all make after the company went public. In hindsight, the reasons are clear to most of those employees: The dangling carrot of a big payday helped convince them all to work grueling hours and put up with Tan’s tyrannical rule. “His management style became ruling by fear,” said one former employee.

Source: https://kotaku.com/razer-ceo-berated-and-threatened-his-staff-former-empl-1840240823

Thoughts: Honestly, disappointed but not really surprised, most of the stories are years old so I can only hope he has changed over time.

For me is clear the guy has an ego and very concerned with the image and "culture" around the company.

They talk a lot about the promises of wealth form going public, they already did so hopefully some employees got their payday.

Well... at some point you hear stuff like that form almost every company...

But me personally doesn’t like razer... to much of a „wE aRe ThE bEsT fOr GaMiNg BeCaUsE wE hAvE rGb“ shit going on ther. However thier products are great for the most part i dont like the image they are trying to give to themselves 

FOLDING MONTH 2021! GOGOGO and save on some heating costs 🙂

Just now, Bcat00 said:

Which boss doesn't have a ego? You can't run a company as big as that without some

Sure, but read the article, even if half of the stories are true, you can run a company without treating your employees like that

Just now, Shaggy25 said:

Sure, but read the article, even if half of the stories are true, you can run a company without treating your employees like that

Razer is still running is it not? Clearly treating your employees like that is working out for the man. Just saying. Life isn't always pretty.

I read the whole article and can see how this might be different if told from a different perspective. The having to work overtime and weekends to hit deadlines doesn't seem all that weird to me especially given that I know CPAs that are required to work at least 60 hours a week during tax season. If you dont like the work then just quit tbh. 

Every CEO of a large company wants to know your location

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

2 hours ago, Shaggy25 said:

Min-Liang Tan, Razer CEO, is described as a tyrant and a dictator by former employees. He's being accused of firing people because he was in a bad mood or displeased with the results of unreasonable expectations.

Some quotes from the article:

Source: https://kotaku.com/razer-ceo-berated-and-threatened-his-staff-former-empl-1840240823

Thoughts: Honestly, disappointed but not really surprised, most of the stories are years old so I can only hope he has changed over time.

For me is clear the guy has an ego and very concerned with the image and "culture" around the company.

They talk a lot about the promises of wealth form going public, they already did so hopefully some employees got their payday.

ROFL, this is 50% of CEO's I've worked for.

Get better news.

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Fractal Design North XL (black mesh) / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

1 hour ago, Caroline said:

Probably fake, let's not forget about gamergate, site is a circlejerk.

idk they wrote a pretty good article on anthem it probably depends on the writer

This really isn't a surprise for anyone who has followed his social media and knows a thing or two about business management.

In short, if CEO is able and willing to snap his fingers and bring a short notice, gimmicky product into existence or other whims of his mind, he most probably is a tyrant to work under. It may seem like something nice and funny kind of boss would do but as always remember that's in public, take those impulses and whims and take the worst day of your life and mix them well, as funny as it seems that he managed to make a sellable toaster with RGB in a month, someone needed to make the CAD- and electronic-drawings and the whole product development in under a month (normal times being in months, usually in years).

I’d be pissed off if all my staff could come up with is a Razer Blade. 

4 hours ago, Caroline said:

Probably fake, let's not forget about gamergate, site is a circlejerk.

Unlikely. Kotaku’s reports like this tend to be true. Whatever your opinion on Kotaku is they have great contacts within the gaming space and have a reputation for keeping sources annoymous.

9 hours ago, Bcat00 said:

Razer is still running is it not? Clearly treating your employees like that is working out for the man. Just saying. Life isn't always pretty.

What a load of bullshit. There is plenty of evidence of successful companies being run by entirely reasonable, nice people. I have worked for nice people, and horrible people, either can be successful.

What makes a company successful is being smart, hard working, making sound strategic decisions, etc. Not being a dick.

If he is successful, it is DESPITE his attitude and misbehavior, not because of it.

He just want his employees to have a razer sharp focus on their work. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

14 hours ago, Bcat00 said:

Which boss doesn't have a ego? You can't run a company as big as that without some

On the very rare occasion, you get one that is extremely down to earth. My current CEO doesn't drive a fancy car or over accentuate his wealth despite the huge success of his company. He even holds the door open for people as they walk in and out. I can't say the same for some of my former employers, but it's definitely the way I would want to run a company. The sheer respect you command when you treat people like normal human beings is far more powerful than cracking a whip and expecting results.

Sadly, I don't see this being the case in other parts of the world, where the job market is overly competitive and saturated with enough people to fill any roles. 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

8 hours ago, floofer said:

I’d be pissed off if all my staff could come up with is a Razer Blade. 

hes probably the one who told his employees to make the razer blade as much like apple's macbook as possible without getting sued LUL

Not only they copied theMacbook, they also copied Jobs

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

Personally i've never been a fan of Razer products anyway.

I bought a mouse and it had problems from day 1, it was expensive and tempermental.

Generally they just sell overpriced gimicks as far as I am aware.

They're just a marketting company.

This is literally every company ever

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

5 minutes ago, Yoinkerman said:

This is literally every company ever

This. Not sure why we feel the need to constantly report these things. What are we trying to achieve? Bring light to what we already know or bring a specific man down for doing what millions of other are doing as well?

All these articles smell of clickbait journalism and sour ex employees trying to get back at their bosses.

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - Nvidia RTX 3090 FE - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 32GB DDR4 3200MHz - Samsung 980 Pro 250GB NVMe m.2 PCIE 4.0 - 970 Evo 1TB NVMe m.2 - T5 500GB External SSD - Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming (Wi-Fi 6) - Corsair H150i Pro RGB 360mm - 3 x 120mm Corsair AF120 Quiet Edition - 3 x 120mm Corsair ML120 - Corsair RM850X - Corsair Carbide 275R - Asus ROG PG279Q IPS 1440p 165hz G-Sync - Logitech G513 Linear - Logitech G502 Lightsync Wireless - Steelseries Arctic 7 Wireless

Most successful CEOs have this issue. Normal people do not make it to the top of multi million dollar companies without significant psychological changes.  

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

"Other people do it so that makes it totally okay and we should never call it out or report on it. Don't think about anything, just consume like a mindless sheep". That's what I get out the "defenses" of this.

6 hours ago, Derangel said:

Don't think about anything, just consume like a mindless sheep

I don't know about you, but i don't buy products based on the actions of the CEO.

Should it be called out?

Sure

Should we be surprised?

No

Does it change anything?

Not really.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒