Europeans prefer AMD CPUs according to EHA

porina

Independent survey shows AMD has increased in popularity by 50% over the last two years. The most recent survey by the European Hardware Association (EHA) included a full set of responses to a broad range of questions from more than 10,000 respondents. They expressed a distinct preference when asked about the next desktop processor that they would buy, with over 60% choosing AMD.

EHA-2H2019-CPU-GPU-survey-graph-002.thumb.png.6171c087841b2bfd64e2b2f8e9559681.png

Source: https://www.eha.digital/research/amd-tops-60-in-european-cpu-preference-study/?sf224707198=1

Via: https://twitter.com/AMD_UK/status/1199689438621769728

Like any survey, we have to be a little careful about how the results were obtained, and how it translates to the wider world. They say they had 10000 responses, but it doesn't say who made up these responses beyond the chart top saying "European tech enthusiasts". Is that us, on forums like this? Did anyone here fill in their survey? I hadn't even heard of them up to now...

Still, with that caution to one side, to the question what will your next CPU be, AMD has grown in choice from around 40% in 2017 to 60% now, the 50% increase mentioned in the quote. 

It is also interesting they also factored in what GPU will it be paired with. Those choosing Intel CPUs overwhelmingly prefer to pair with nvidia. Those choosing an AMD CPU, it is closer to 1/3 choosing AMD GPU over nvidia. Based on typical posting in this forum at least, I would have expected the proportions to look much different than they obtained.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

That makes sense when you consider the data that mindfactory.de provided that they were selling two AMD processors for each Intel one and that at some point the R5 3600 was outselling entire Intel's lineup.

Let's wait for Intel's response, it should be good and it definitely will be good from a consumer standpoint ;)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

13 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

That makes sense when you consider the data that mindfactory.de provided that they were selling two AMD processors for each Intel one and that at some point the R5 3600 was outselling entire Intel's lineup.

Let's wait for Intel's response, it should be good and it definitely will be good from a consumer standpoint ;)

ah yes, competition in the market. the consumer always wins!

i do hope intel manages to cath up tough. right now it's pretty much total AMD domination in almost all markets, except maybe server. tough the EPYC linup is looking pretty threatening aswell..

1 minute ago, RollinLower said:

it's pretty much total AMD domination in almost all markets, except maybe server. tough the EPYC linup is looking pretty threatening aswell..

AMD has a very good grip on a lot of server segments. With maybe the exception of AVX512. 

5 minutes ago, RollinLower said:

i do hope intel manages to cath up tough. right now it's pretty much total AMD domination in almost all markets, except maybe server. tough the EPYC linup is looking pretty threatening aswell..

From what I know from official representatives, companies like DELL/EMC start pushing EPYC-based servers to more and more customers and partners, they're organizing more and more events and training courses to help adopt EPYC servers and convince customers that they're a very good option.
They didn't put that much of an effort when 1st gen EPYC launched, I'm glad they came around with the launch of Rome chips.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

25 minutes ago, porina said:

Source: https://www.eha.digital/research/amd-tops-60-in-european-cpu-preference-study/?sf224707198=1

Via: https://twitter.com/AMD_UK/status/1199689438621769728

Like any survey, we have to be a little careful about how the results were obtained, and how it translates to the wider world. They say they had 10000 responses, but it doesn't say who made up these responses beyond the chart top saying "European tech enthusiasts". Is that us, on forums like this? Did anyone here fill in their survey? I hadn't even heard of them up to now...

Still, with that caution to one side, to the question what will your next CPU be, AMD has grown in choice from around 40% in 2017 to 60% now, the 50% increase mentioned in the quote. 

It is also interesting they also factored in what GPU will it be paired with. Those choosing Intel CPUs overwhelmingly prefer to pair with nvidia. Those choosing an AMD CPU, it is closer to 1/3 choosing AMD GPU over nvidia. Based on typical posting in this forum at least, I would have expected the proportions to look much different than they obtained.

ofc, they are cheaper here than intel parts. you can get a 2600x at 130 bucks here in the netherlands. any overclockable good intel 6 core part is at/above 220 bucks. 

or how about 8 core parts. 2700x 170 bucks closest intel 8 part overclockable cpu? 363 bucks. 

amd clearly wins when talking about cpu. Gpu however.. different story. here you can better save a bit more and get a 2070 super than get a 5700xt that is good and at around 500 bucks. Just not worth it. 

PC: 
MSI B450 gaming pro carbon ac              (motherboard)      |    (Gpu)             ASRock Radeon RX 6950 XT Phantom Gaming D 16G

ryzen 7 5800X3D                                          (cpu)                |    (Monitor)        2560x1440 144hz (lg 32gk650f)
Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240 A-RGB           (cpu cooler)         |     (Psu)             seasonic focus plus gold 850w
Cooler Master MasterBox MB511 RGB    (PCcase)              |    (Memory)       Kingston Fury Beast 32GB (16x2) DDR4 @ 3.600MHz

Corsair K95 RGB Platinum                       (keyboard)            |    (mouse)         Razer Viper Ultimate

Yeah not too surprising really. They've strengthened their brand and prices are great. It's also true that people tend to pair Intel and Nvidia or just full AMD more. Build a solid amount of PCs also pre builds tend to be like such too. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

21 minutes ago, hollyh88 said:

ofc, they are cheaper here than intel parts. you can get a 2600x at 130 bucks here in the netherlands

You can get a mainbord and 16GB ram also for very cheap.

3 hours ago, RollinLower said:

Honestly I think the laptop market is where intel has the strongest hold.

At least in the UK, you'd have to be mad to prefer Intel over AMD if you want value for money.

A quick jump over to my preferred PC parts supplier and their front page:

ggg.jpg.29ccd5a2ab85fdbfb502980cce351c44.jpg

The 9700K is pretty much £35 more expensive for 8 threads less and no cooler.

SPECIFICATIONS:

CPU Type: Intel Core i7
CPU Model: 9700K
Socket: 1151
Architecture: Coffee Lake Refresh
Manufacturing Process: 14 nm
No. of Cores: 8 Core
No. of Threads: 8
Core Ratio: 36 x
Clock Speed: 3.6 GHz
Turbo Speed: 4.9 GHz

vs

CPU Type: AMD Ryzen™ 7

CPU Model: 3700X

Socket: AM4

Architecture: Zen 2

Manufacturing Process: 7 nm

No. of Cores: 8 Core

No. of Threads: 16

Clock Speed: 3.6 GHz

Turbo Speed: 4.4 GHz

I'll save some cash and stick with Team Red thank you very much!

DAEDALUS (2018 Refit) - Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 - 1600 @ 3.7Ghz // Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED Turbo Black Edition // Motherboard: Asus RoG Strix B350-F Gaming // Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1060 Windforce 6GB GDDR5 // Memory: 2 x 8GB DDR4 Corsair LPX Vengeance 3000Mhz // Storage: WD Green - 250GB M.2 SATA SSD (Boot Drive and Programs), SanDisk Ultra II 120GB (GTA V), WD Elements 1TB External Drive (Steam Library) // Power Supply: Cooler Master Silent Pro 700W // Case: BeQuiet Silentbase 600 with SilentWings Mk.2 Internal Fans // Peripherals: VicTop Mechanical Gaming Keyboard & VicTsing 7200 DPI Wired Gaming Mouse

PROMETHEUS (2018 Refit) - Processor: Intel Core i5-3470 @ 3.2Ghz // Cooler: Cooler Master 212 EVO // Motherboard: Foxconn 2ABF // Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 5450 (For Diagnostic Testing Only) // Memory: 2 x 4GB DDR3 Mushkin Memory // Storage: 10TB of Various Storage Drives // Power Supply: Corsair 600W // Case: Bitfenix Nova Midi Tower - Black

SpeedTest Results - Having Trouble Finding a Decent PSU? - Check the PSU Tier List!

50 minutes ago, Ezzy-525 said:

I'll save some cash and stick with Team Red thank you very much!

Why pay more for the 3700X? You can make the 3700 the same thing just by adjusting power targets.

4 hours ago, RollinLower said:

4 hours ago, Morgan MLGman said:

with we so close to the next big thing having amd dominate for a few years would probably end up being better long term, btw pretty sure x86 patent will expire pretty soon so we might see some new players try to enter the market

10 hours ago, leadeater said:

Why pay more for the 3700X? You can make the 3700 the same thing just by adjusting power targets.

And by the same logic I could push a 3700X to a 3800X as well, which would make its performance a lot closer to the 9700K

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

18 minutes ago, williamcll said:

And by the same logic I could push a 3700X to a 3800X as well, which would make its performance a lot closer to the 9700K

the difference between non X and X is usually an obtainable (but not guaranteed)  OC,  The difference between the 700 and the 800 is much less obtainable as the 800 can usually be pushed further again.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

10 hours ago, leadeater said:

What mythical chip is this?

5 minutes ago, mr moose said:

the difference between non X and X is usually an obtainable (but not guaranteed)  OC,  The difference between the 700 and the 800 is much less obtainable as the 800 can usually be pushed further again.

Maybe previous generations, I don't think that's true with this one (as Gamers Nexus would lead me to believe).

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Considering the taxes,I'm not really shocked.

18 minutes ago, dizmo said:

What mythical chip is this?

Argh bitten by the Ryzen Pro SKU only problem. At least I can give credit to AMD for actually reducing the pointless SKUs though.

17 hours ago, porina said:

Based on typical posting in this forum at least, I would have expected the proportions to look much different than they obtained.

Most posts here recognize the bang for the buck approach of amd and respect it. Yes their highend CPU's are finally competitive with intel even beating them in some cases. Unfortunately this is not (yet) the case for their "high end" GPU's . 

The rx 5700 xt was a good competitor to the rtx2070, but now we have the rtx2070 super. And that's not even the real high end of nvidia (rtx2080, rtx2080 super, rtx2080ti,...).

The rx5700xt is more then enough for 1080p gaming, but 4k and 3440x1440 is a bit to much to chew for it.

I would love to swap my rtx2070 for some amd card if it actually could improve performance on 3440x1440.

On 11/28/2019 at 1:52 PM, LeSheen said:

Most posts here recognize the bang for the buck approach of amd and respect it. Yes their highend CPU's are finally competitive with intel even beating them in some cases. Unfortunately this is not (yet) the case for their "high end" GPU's . 

The rx 5700 xt was a good competitor to the rtx2070, but now we have the rtx2070 super. And that's not even the real high end of nvidia (rtx2080, rtx2080 super, rtx2080ti,...).

The rx5700xt is more then enough for 1080p gaming, but 4k and 3440x1440 is a bit to much to chew for it.

I would love to swap my rtx2070 for some amd card if it actually could improve performance on 3440x1440.

It seems like now AMD is making money on CPUs and they want to keep most of their limited 7nm supply for CPUs. GPUs aren't as lucrative for them. I too wanted them to start making high end RDNA GPUs in 2019 but it seems like the announcement has got pushed to January 2020 CES. They have been increasing their R&D budget too as they are profitable now. 

Hopefully as 7nm ramps up next year to higher volumes we can get back to the days when they offered an entire line up from low end to high end on the same base architecture. Their gaming offerings are too fragmented now between Polaris, Vega, Navi. Same with the naming schemes, they need to unify everything and send a clear message to buyers- this is what we offer, something for every price range. It's a mess right now.

On 11/28/2019 at 9:22 AM, LeSheen said:

Why are you comparing the 5700 XT to the 2070 and 2070 Super though? It's cheaper than the 2060 Super. Which it is also faster than.

26 minutes ago, Sakkura said:

Why are you comparing the 5700 XT to the 2070 and 2070 Super though? It's cheaper than the 2060 Super. Which it is also faster than.

- It not that much slower, but still 100 euros cheaper

- Like i mentioned I have a rtx2070. Would be dumb to switch to something less powerfull. -> 5700xt best amd has to offer at the moment.

- I was talking about high end, not fair performance comparison. That's the best they have to offer.

On 11/27/2019 at 9:10 AM, RollinLower said:

Intel is currently "caught up". While I certainly think that AMD is the better buy for 95% of use cases, it's not like AMD totally leapfrogged Intel in every way. Their scaling tech is ridiculously smart and helps future proof them, but Intel is still a long way from being "behind". 

We'll see how big the jump is with Zen 3. If AMD can manage anything close to a Zen2 level IPC bump (or start pushing clocks up a few hundred Mhz), then they'll be a point where they will be pretty unequivocally ahead of Intel. The real question us whether or not Intel gets 7nm out on time. If they do, then they'll get a double node shrink in addition to all the architectural work that they did for Cannonlake and its derivatives but weren't able to implement due to the lack of 10nm.

While I'm not convinced Intel can meet their deadline (2021 for mass production, I believe), if they manage it then I'd be more worried about AMD maintaining their momentum than I am about Intel staying competitive. As much as AMD is a feel good comeback story, it's important to stay objective about just how many resources Intel has to rely on. Intel has gotten fucked, partly due to their own hubris and largely due to manufacturing issues that they couldn't have predicted, but if they get back on track they'll be able to punch back absurdly hard.

The AMD comeback has been as much a story of Intel's failure as it has AMD's own successes. 

• 1 month later...
On 11/29/2019 at 6:15 PM, Waffles13 said:

Intel is currently "caught up". While I certainly think that AMD is the better buy for 95% of use cases, it's not like AMD totally leapfrogged Intel in every way. Their scaling tech is ridiculously smart and helps future proof them, but Intel is still a long way from being "behind". 

We'll see how big the jump is with Zen 3. If AMD can manage anything close to a Zen2 level IPC bump (or start pushing clocks up a few hundred Mhz), then they'll be a point where they will be pretty unequivocally ahead of Intel. The real question us whether or not Intel gets 7nm out on time. If they do, then they'll get a double node shrink in addition to all the architectural work that they did for Cannonlake and its derivatives but weren't able to implement due to the lack of 10nm.

While I'm not convinced Intel can meet their deadline (2021 for mass production, I believe), if they manage it then I'd be more worried about AMD maintaining their momentum than I am about Intel staying competitive. As much as AMD is a feel good comeback story, it's important to stay objective about just how many resources Intel has to rely on. Intel has gotten fucked, partly due to their own hubris and largely due to manufacturing issues that they couldn't have predicted, but if they get back on track they'll be able to punch back absurdly hard.

The AMD comeback has been as much a story of Intel's failure as it has AMD's own successes. 

Intel failure has to do with using its own foundary and the amount of capital needed for foundary upgrades and research to new processes.

AMD gave up its own foundary long ago, and switched to TSMC. Intel doesnt have the R&D to compete with TSMC on foundaries its budget way suprasses intel.

Intel is competing against TSMC and not just AMD. TSMC has a narrower focus in its business.

intel cant outspend AMD and expect to win this race just because they have more resources. AMD made smart partnerships that allowed it to dethrone intel and personally cant see that changing because TSMC is moving faster than intel at the moment

Also relevant:

Capture12314.PNG.1dcd5834e38e56a2addbd529c06ff34d.png

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case