Every other phone is dead to me

CPotter

Nice, but I'd only consider getting a folding phone once they have folding glass as well. Which might make it to the Fold 2...fingers crossed.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Nothing says $2000 super premium phone like accidentally scratching the screen with your fingernail

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Just now, dizmo said:

Nice, but I'd only consider getting a folding phone once they have folding glass as well. Which might make it to the Fold 2...fingers crossed.

history always repeats itself

kids my age are wearing 80's and 90's clothes again, we're getting flip phones again

aorus pro z390

noctua nh-d15s chromax w black cover

evga 3070 ultra

samsung 128gb, adata swordfish 1tb, wd blue 1tb

seasonic 620w dogballs psu

20 minutes ago, mxk said:

history always repeats itself

kids my age are wearing 80's and 90's clothes again, we're getting flip phones again

You know what they say...if you don't learn from history, you're doomed to repeat it...

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

Spoiler

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Just checked this out. Looks pretty cool. Price is insane tho.

Until folding phones can be as durable as not folding phones, and support cases like not folding phones, I see basically 0 reasons why not to just buy an iPad Mini 2 to go along with your phone of choice. Cheaper by a fair margin, even with a 512GB iPhone 11 Pro Max as your main piece. The ONLY downside is that the Mini 2 is not getting iPadOS though did see support through the end of iOS 12 and I suspect will not be out of app support for quite some time seeing how most apps even now only require iOS 10.

One thing linus did NOT mention is that the galaxy fold is wide open to dust ingress at the hinge, which WILL mess up the mechanism and likely the screen as well. See jerryrigeverything.

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは

the screen when closed is terrible though. i will only get a foldable phone if the screen when closed is just as good as a regular phone because thats probably what i will mainly be using it as and only open it to watch videos or something

My first car was an old Volvo 240 that I bought for less then $100, was used for over 3 years. Here is Sweden the fold costs a whopping $2 400 so yea my first car was WAY cheaper then that.

18 minutes ago, Kroon said:

My first car was an old Volvo 240 that I bought for less then $100, was used for over 3 years. Here is Sweden the fold costs a whopping $2 400 so yea my first car was WAY cheaper then that.

Suddenly a 2080Ti doesn't look so expensive anymore.

1 hour ago, CPotter said:

haven't you seen a flip phone this is old stuff - every dad

There actually indeed foldable/bendable forms of glass else that Thunderbolt 2 Fiber Optic cable that you just replaced would not be a thing. Also Corning had the Mythbusters do a video on that subject 5 years back. 

Edited by Wh0_Am_1
fordable vs foldable

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

We're quite a bit away yet from folding glass, but I'm inclined to wait for the Surface Neo. The idea of a pocketable folding tablet with phone functionality makes sense for a lot of scenarios including navigation, email, video calls, web browsing and photos. I do agree that a rugged case for these is sorely missing, but designing one that can accommodate a folding hinge will be tricky and definitely not cheap. And no, you're not going to get ANY kind of IP rating on a device with a hinge on it. As for scratching the plastic, Samsung has fold users covered with a $149 screen replacement option.

I tried finding one for sale a few weeks back, except Samsung has totally screwed up the relaunch as well. The simple fact that Samsung doesn't even offer it for sale on their own website SCREAMS the lack of confidence the company has behind their flagship product. They either simply cannot make enough of these, are limiting the number of people who can get them, or are still using paying customers as quality control testers.

There's a reason they man a dedicated support line just for this product, and it's not to make customers feel "premium". My gut feeling says anybody who buys this IS forking over $2000 to be a quality control tester for Samsung.

3 hours ago, dizmo said:

Or a mix. Perhaps get the materials almost perfectly merged (I'm thinking more a strong plastic with folding center blend, or glass with plastic center).

37 minutes ago, Luscious said:

We're quite a bit away yet from folding glass, but I'm inclined to wait for the Surface Neo. The idea of a pocketable folding tablet with phone functionality makes sense for a lot of scenarios including navigation, email, video calls, web browsing and photos. I do agree that a rugged case for these is sorely missing, but designing one that can accommodate a folding hinge will be tricky and definitely not cheap. And no, you're not going to get ANY kind of IP rating on a device with a hinge on it. As for scratching the plastic, Samsung has fold users covered with a $149 screen replacement option.

I tried finding one for sale a few weeks back, except Samsung has totally screwed up the relaunch as well. The simple fact that Samsung doesn't even offer it for sale on their own website SCREAMS the lack of confidence the company has behind their flagship product. They either simply cannot make enough of these, are limiting the number of people who can get them, or are still using paying customers as quality control testers.

There's a reason they man a dedicated support line just for this product, and it's not to make customers feel "premium". My gut feeling says anybody who buys this IS forking over $2000 to be a quality control tester for Samsung.

We're really not that far away, maybe a few months. Very short time in terms of a product release.

The Surface Neo looks cool though! Something I'd definitely consider depending on how big it ends up being in it's final form. It doesn't exactly look like it'd be easy to pocket. I wouldn't be so sure about that lack of an IP rating due to a hinge, either, it just takes engineering...people used to say the same thing about a phone with ports at all.

1 minute ago, TechyBen said:

Or a mix. Perhaps get the materials almost perfectly merged (I'm thinking more a strong plastic with folding center blend, or glass with plastic center).

Yeah, IIRC the folding glass that's almost market ready is a glass/polymer mix. Apparently it's thinner than a human hair. Hopefully the next version of the phone is thinner.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

I have been waiting for this phone for over half a decade, apparently since 2013. A tablet that can be folded into a phone, so you have a large display when you use it, but a footprint small enough to fit inside a pocket when you carry it. Remember when Samsung showed off the Youm phone things? That was apparently at CES 2013, nearly 7 years ago.

Spoiler

Now I just need to wait for this stuff to (hopefully) come down in price to a level I can justify. $2000 is absolutely not unreasonable, imo, and well within what I would be willing to pay, if I had the money. Even with its flaws.

:)

Phone displays are big enough already, they don't need to fold out to a tablet sized device. I'd rather see manufactures use bendable display technology to minimize the size of the phone when it's not in use and likely in your pocket. Linus trying to make any case using the Fold (while open) one handed was laughable when he's complained about the Note being too big in the past for his hands.  

6 hours ago, SenKa said:

I see basically 0 reasons why not to just buy an iPad Mini 2 to go along with your phone of choice

Apple has the iPad Mini 5 with an A12 Bionic (still faster than basically every Android device on the market) for only $399 (student price $379). You could still get a tricked out iPhone 11 Pro Max and a 64GB iPad Mini for less than the cost of the Galaxy Fold. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

I think Linus finally lost it. How anyone could seriously use (and like) a device that costs $2000 and can be scratched by your finger is beyond me. That's all in addition to all the problems mentioned in this video. 

If you're gifted a luxury car, you're going to like it a lot. But if you have to pay for that car, you are going to have a hell of a time justifying the purchase. Especially when you can get two separate devices that do their respective jobs better.....for less than the price of the Galaxy Fold. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)