Every other phone is dead to me

CPotter
30 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

How anyone could seriously use (and like) a device that costs $2000 and can be scratched by your finger is beyond me.

Just you wait until he whines and rants when it stops working because dirt got inside. 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

Come on everybody is really only talking about the phone? Come on 95% of you won't even get a chance to demo the thing on a store…

Why ain't no one saying anything about the Halloween surprise? I think that was awesome and the most interesting part on this video :P 

Display formats are so annoying. I miss that short moment in time when everything was 16:9, displays and content. Literally edge to edge everything. And now we have these stupid bars frigging everywhere and it's so infuriating. I don't give a shit about your "cinema" format, am I holding a cinema hall in my hands or a phone?

As for Galaxy Fold, I can see how big screen can be useful for some. But the price tag and brittle nature of the soft inner display is why I couldn't ever had it even if I had the money to buy it. I mean I could even now even at what they sell it, but I just don't see point in doing that when iPhone XR serves all my needs perfectly. But that's just me, others may have different needs or requirements.

I see myself getting a folder eventually but price + robustness puts me off this time.

If you want a phone that sparks conversation then go for the tiny Palm.I tried for almost a year to see how usable it was (surprisingly usable but you need to charge twice a day), in that time random strangers would actually stop me in the street with questions like 'is that a .. phone?!' Even more attention than when I had a first gen Note or Cat S60 (thermal imaging did pull the crowds but I'd have to show it to them first).

After that little experiment I'm completely sold on the Zenphone 6 with flip up camera. HUGE battery, decent screen, no notch, fairly low price and slofies before it was cool. *runs from the apple lawyers*

10 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

Apple has the iPad Mini 5 with an A12 Bionic (still faster than basically every Android device on the market) for only $399 (student price $379). You could still get a tricked out iPhone 11 Pro Max and a 64GB iPad Mini for less than the cost of the Galaxy Fold. 

I thought the mini's were more for some reason... So yeah, 512GB 11 Pro Max + 64GB iPad Mini :D

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは

not really as much about the video and more about the device, tbh idk why anyone would want to buy this phone. It has way to much failure points. The hinges, fingernails, dirt. It won't last a long time. I guess if you're one of those super super early adopters, but to me, it looks like one of those fads, like the bended phone (LG Flex). It's a waste of money imo. Just saying

Does the GalaxyFold have Dex as well? I currently use Note 10+ since I use Dex as my daily work pc. If it does how does the dex perform compared to the Note 10+. These are the real questions. 

12 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

I think Linus finally lost it. How anyone could seriously use (and like) a device that costs $2000 and can be scratched by your finger is beyond me. That's all in addition to all the problems mentioned in this video. 

If you're gifted a luxury car, you're going to like it a lot. But if you have to pay for that car, you are going to have a hell of a time justifying the purchase. Especially when you can get two separate devices that do their respective jobs better.....for less than the price of the Galaxy Fold. 

But an Apple device at the same cost with same delicacy??? (Ahem, their laptop keyboards!!!)

?

42 minutes ago, TechyBen said:

But an Apple device at the same cost with same delicacy??? (Ahem, their laptop keyboards!!!)

?

We're not talking about laptops though. We are talking about mobile devices. And no, we priced lower than the Galaxy Fold.

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

20 hours ago, spartaman64 said:

the screen when closed is terrible though. i will only get a foldable phone if the screen when closed is just as good as a regular phone because thats probably what i will mainly be using it as and only open it to watch videos or something

Yup, please get that Huawei Mate X out already...

13 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

two separate devices that do their respective jobs better

2 devices always has the problem of you not having the appropriate one at hand at the right time, that's what this is about, and is going to be worth the compromise to some.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

8 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

that's what this is about, and is going to be worth the compromise to some.

A very small amount. The consumer would have to completely change their expectations of a mobile device from one that's durable and can last more than 3 years to one that is fragile and needs to be replaced/serviced constantly. 

It's just not going to happen. It's not economical or logical for folding phones to replace traditional handsets. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

A lot of enthusiasts don't keep a phone more than 1-2 years anyway.

The price is high but apart from that it's not a big step.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

7 hours ago, SenKa said:

I thought the mini's were more for some reason... So yeah, 512GB 11 Pro Max + 64GB iPad Mini :D

To be honest i don't think i can ever use a notchless monster as a daily driver, just so many compromises and then their is IOS which feels like a dictatorship. Also fold took more engineering guts than a repackaged phone with a upgraded SOC, can't really tell the difference between my iphone 10 and 11 side by side without looking at the back( 11 pro has a bigger bezel and thicker). Ipad mini felt really awkward to me, too small for a tablet and too large to

carry around in your pocket.

Linus loved this review, you captured my reaction to how cool this tech is. This is what made me want to become an engineer, just companies pushing designs and making something useful. 2k seems really fair for what your getting, gonna order mine when stores have them in stock.

2 hours ago, nerdslayer1 said:

To be honest i don't think i can ever use a notchless monster as a daily driver, just so many compromises and then their is IOS which feels like a dictatorship. Also fold took more engineering guts than a repackaged phone with a upgraded SOC, can't really tell the difference between my iphone 10 and 11 side by side without looking at the back( 11 pro has a bigger bezel and thicker). Ipad mini felt really awkward to me, too small for a tablet and too large to

carry around in your pocket.

Linus loved this review, you captured my reaction to how cool this tech is. This is what made me want to become an engineer, just companies pushing designs and making something useful. 2k seems really fair for what your getting, gonna order mine when stores have them in stock.

I mean, from a tech standpoint it is fairly impressive. But that doesn't change that it is $2k and still has utterly inexcusable design flaws, such as the hinge allowing dirt in to the device (and thus destroying the device over time).

Also, the 11 Pro bezels are not thicker than the X, at all.

The usefullness of an iPad Mini, as with all tablets, very situational. I use a Mini 2 daily, and will not get rid of it until it dies or until I can get the money for an iPad Pro. But for some it really is just kind of redundant because of its screen size. With that said you can get the iPad (no suffix) for a very cheap price as well, and it is a larger screen device. I don't remember the price, but it's quite similar to the iPad Mini IIRC.

I also totally disagree with your opinion on iOS, but as an opinion is nothing but there isn't much worth arguing as it is subjective.

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

Spoiler

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 

2 hours ago, SenKa said:

Also, the 11 Pro bezels are not thicker than the X, at all.

I meant the XS, my bad. 

iPhone XS
W x H = 2.79" x 5.65"
Bezel thickness = 0.167"

iPhone 11 Pro
W x H = 2.81" x 5.67"
Bezel thickness = 0.177"

2 hours ago, SenKa said:

inexcusable design flaws,

Strong wording but its not bad as it seems to people, they decreased the gap in the 2nd reversion. 

2 hours ago, SenKa said:

doesn't change that it is $2k

From a RND and the uniqueness of the device perspective, i disagree, price matches the product. 

I can get the money for an iPad Pro

Not really comparable, Ipad pro folds but more in tacoma bridge or Space shuttle challenger way. I seen kitkats that were better built than the pro, its really cool how anyone can build a device without any structural support. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUBsxCcJeUc

11 hours ago, nerdslayer1 said:

Strong wording but its not bad as it seems to people, they decreased the gap in the 2nd reversion. 

The gap still allows disturbingly easy dust ingress. Even if you're smart and don't take it to the beach, dust exists in day to day life. If dust gets in it will slowly destroy the device, and I suspect this will happen quickly. And since you linked jerryrigeverything, I think you know I'm right here.

11 hours ago, nerdslayer1 said:

From a RND and the uniqueness of the device perspective, i disagree, price matches the product. 

For a gen 1 product of a formfactor that doesn't yet really exist? Sure, it's not unreasonable. But 2k is more than a lot of people pay for their vehicles, and that's just absurd. I suspect the high price will keep a LOT of potential buyers away.

Really what kills it for ME most, ignoring the OS its running, is the plastic internal screen. Because it is soft plastic, you can't use it as the worlds best pocketable drawing tablet. Corning is supposedly working on flexible glass, and until that comes I will consider folding phones DOA because you can do nothing with that massive external display other than look at it and touch it gently.

Useful threads: 

Spoiler

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Spoiler

On 10/29/2019 at 5:31 PM, DrMacintosh said:

We're not talking about laptops though. We are talking about mobile devices. And no, we priced lower than the Galaxy Fold.

Ahem. First off the top of my head. The iPhones also have had delicacy in the past!

6 minutes ago, TechyBen said:

Ahem. First off the top of my head. The iPhones also have had delicacy in the past!

Sure, everyone phone made of glass has the same risks as an iPhone. 

But the Fold isn’t made of glass, it’s made of plastic and has no IP rating. It’s infinitely less durable than any other flagship device on the market. 

On 10/29/2019 at 5:35 PM, Kilrah said:

Yup, please get that Huawei Mate X out already...

That thing is going to be a disaster, at least on the fold the fragile display is protected when its not in use. The mate x wont be so lucky since its always exposed, that thing will look awful within a month if it even lasts that long

3 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Sure, everyone phone made of glass has the same risks as an iPhone. 

But the Fold isn’t made of glass, it’s made of plastic and has no IP rating. It’s infinitely less durable than any other flagship device on the market. 

TouchIC board cracks.

None of the iPhones were "new" technology, and Apple cannot even get the scissor keys working. A flexible display vs a polished tech in a phone (I won't argue, the iPhone 1 onwards are polished devices, but not "new") is no comparison.

Samsung and others are WAY too early to market with this tech. But it is what it is. No one complains Nike Trainers don't have steel toecaps. A folding phone, will be for now, very delicate.

9 minutes ago, TechyBen said:

TouchIC board cracks.

From physical bends, which do not occur under normal use. 

9 minutes ago, TechyBen said:

None of the iPhones were "new" technology, and Apple cannot even get the scissor keys working.

Well first off Apple doesn’t even use the scissor switch anymore, they made their own. Secondly being first has never really been Apples thing. Though they were the first to put 64-Bit chips in a phone and were the first to mainstream biometrics. Everyone follows the leader in the tech industry. 

11 minutes ago, TechyBen said:

A folding phone, will be for now, very delicate.

And that’s why they won’t succeed. If they are fragile and costly, people won’t buy them because their investment won’t hold. If people don’t buy them they don’t get better. I personally don’t care what people waste their money on, it’s theirs to waste. 

On 10/29/2019 at 3:51 AM, DrMacintosh said:

I think Linus finally lost it. How anyone could seriously use (and like) a device that costs $2000 and can be scratched by your finger is beyond me. That's all in addition to all the problems mentioned in this video. 

If you're gifted a luxury car, you're going to like it a lot. But if you have to pay for that car, you are going to have a hell of a time justifying the purchase. Especially when you can get two separate devices that do their respective jobs better.....for less than the price of the Galaxy Fold. 

Don't get me wrong, I do agree in that the seperate devices would do their respective jobs better, but you cant exactly fit an ipad in your pocket now can you?

Desktop: Slick

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600    Motherboard: Asus Prime X470-Pro    RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200mhz CL16   GPU: GTX 1080 8GB 

Storage: Samsung PM981 256GB (970 EVO)    PSU: Corsair TX650M   Case: Lian-Li PCO11 Dynamic - White  Fans: Deepcool RF120mm RGB

Peripherals: HP Omen X 35 Ultrawide (3440x1440, 100hz, G-Sync), Logitech g903, mdr-1000x, umc22 + AKG D5, Drevo Blademaster 87K RGB (Gateron Browns)

Laptop: Surface Laptop 2 Platinum - i5 8250u, 8gb ram, 256gb nvme, 13 inch pixelsense touch display

Phone: Huawei Mate 20 pro 128gb Black + iphone 6s 32gb gold

7 minutes ago, Zeddex said:

but you cant exactly fit an ipad in your pocket now can you?

The Fold is a pretty thick device and by volume isn’t more compact than a traditional phone. You cannot cheat the laws of physics. All the Fold has done is trade width for depth when folded. It still wouldn’t fit in skinny jeans or women’s pants very well at all. 

23 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

From physical bends, which do not occur under normal use.

[Not so]

Well first off Apple doesn’t even use the scissor switch anymore, they made their own.

[Irrelevant to the discussion about the existence of events, not if they are past or present]

Secondly being first has never really been Apples thing. Though they were the first to put 64-Bit chips in a phone and were the first to mainstream biometrics. Everyone follows the leader in the tech industry. 

And that’s why they won’t succeed. If they are fragile and costly, people won’t buy them because their investment won’t hold. If people don’t buy them they don’t get better. I personally don’t care what people waste their money on, it’s theirs to waste. 

[Most iPhones and iPads are fragile and costly, prices came down]

The reality distortion field is too strong captain. We canna do it. We don't have the power.