Ad Buster Buster - Chrome to limit ad blocking to Enterprise users only

rcmaehl

Firefox is looking real good right now, might move.

Also side note: Samsung Internet Browser (mobile) has built in adblock plugins avaliable for download

Serious question guys, why did most of you switch from firefox to chrome in the first place?

I've personally never understood the chrome hype. Been using Firefox since forever and I've always been happy with it

GAMING PC CPU: AMD 3800X Motherboard: Asus STRIX X570-E GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 3080 GAMING OC RAM: 16GB G.Skill 3600MHz/CL14  PSU: Corsair RM850x Case: NZXT MESHIFY 2 XL DARK TG Cooling: EK Velocity + D5 pump + 360mm rad + 280mm rad Monitor: AOC 27" QHD 144Hz Keyboard: Corsair K70 Mouse: Razer DeathAdder Elite Audio: Bose QC35 II
WHAT MY GF INHERITED CPU: Intel i7-6700K (4.7GHz @ 1.39v) Motherboard: Asus Z170 Pro GPU: Asus GTX 1070 8GB RAM: 32GB Kingston HyperX Fury Hard Drive: WD Black NVMe SSD 512GB Power Supply: XFX PRO 550W  Cooling: Corsair H115i Case: NZXT H700 White

1 minute ago, CiBi said:

Serious question guys, why did most of you switch from firefox to chrome in the first place?

I've personally never understood the chrome hype. Been using Firefox since forever and I've always been happy with it

I switched for three reasons:

1. Terrible buggy YouTube performance (Things like the video would play with a blank screen but audio would be fine)

2. Overall buggy performance in FF

3. FF erased my entire bookmarks bar, etc, during an update - all the automated bookmark backups were corrupt going back over a year - and when I posted on the FF forum, they were basically like "Yep sorry you're own fault" instead of trying to actually help me recover the bookmarks.

I don't want to use Chrome - I prefer the FF interface. But I inevitably get pissed off by something or another when I try to switch back to FF.

I used to use FF exclusively for years - but I found it become more buggy over time.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Brave browser is my default now on personal devices the built in native ad blocker is quite good and can be switched off if I need to.

32 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

I switched for three reasons:

1. Terrible buggy YouTube performance (Things like the video would play with a blank screen but audio would be fine)

2. Overall buggy performance in FF

3. FF erased my entire bookmarks bar, etc, during an update - all the automated bookmark backups were corrupt going back over a year - and when I posted on the FF forum, they were basically like "Yep sorry you're own fault" instead of trying to actually help me recover the bookmarks.

I don't want to use Chrome - I prefer the FF interface. But I inevitably get pissed off by something or another when I try to switch back to FF.

I used to use FF exclusively for years - but I found it become more buggy over time.

I understand why you switched now, still doesn't explain why almost everyone else here did so as well.

I personally never experienced persistant or unacceptable bugs with FF.

GAMING PC CPU: AMD 3800X Motherboard: Asus STRIX X570-E GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 3080 GAMING OC RAM: 16GB G.Skill 3600MHz/CL14  PSU: Corsair RM850x Case: NZXT MESHIFY 2 XL DARK TG Cooling: EK Velocity + D5 pump + 360mm rad + 280mm rad Monitor: AOC 27" QHD 144Hz Keyboard: Corsair K70 Mouse: Razer DeathAdder Elite Audio: Bose QC35 II
WHAT MY GF INHERITED CPU: Intel i7-6700K (4.7GHz @ 1.39v) Motherboard: Asus Z170 Pro GPU: Asus GTX 1070 8GB RAM: 32GB Kingston HyperX Fury Hard Drive: WD Black NVMe SSD 512GB Power Supply: XFX PRO 550W  Cooling: Corsair H115i Case: NZXT H700 White

38 minutes ago, CiBi said:

I understand why you switched now, still doesn't explain why almost everyone else here did so as well.

I personally never experienced persistant or unacceptable bugs with FF.

I don't think it's so much that most people switched, but rather, most people simply started with Chrome to begin with.

Additionally, those that use the G-Suite will have a somewhat more integrated experience - so that could be useful to them.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

8 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

I don't think it's so much that most people switched, but rather, most people simply started with Chrome to begin with.

Additionally, those that use the G-Suite will have a somewhat more integrated experience - so that could be useful to them.

Lol I still remember Google Chrome being released and people trying it because it was the new browser and for some reason I thought Firefox existed for way longer before Chrome.

Just looked it up and they released FF in 2004 and Chrome in 2008 so I assume I moved away from IE before 2008 but after 2004. I think you could be correct that for a lot of people Chrome was already an option when they first moved away from a built-in browser.

On 5/30/2019 at 3:40 AM, duncannah said:

Vivaldi and Opera are bloated, Brave is buggy, Firefox is slow..... etc etc. There's always some compromise unfortunately

opera seems pretty slick to me. I mean, what software isnt bloated in todays world? I'm using firefox now, and speed is not an issue for me.

On 5/30/2019 at 8:34 AM, Mr. horse said:

I know what I am about to say will not be well accepted here.

But there are ads on websites for a reason. Its how most web site make money. Blocking adds is not all to far form steeling a service. If the add does not load they get nothing.

I do not like adds myself as they can be rather annoying but blocking them is not really the right thing to do ether. 

It was one thing when adds where a 640x80 banner, or a 150x150 square. But now they are whole screen blockers, auto play hidden videos, etc. I honestly wish the internet was like it used to be back in the late 90's. simple, and just a big library of information, a couple message boards, and IRC. (and ICQ)

21 minutes ago, Mr. horse said:

I strongly agree.

Give this search engine a try

https://wiby.me

It only searches for older sites from the 90s and early 00s and newer sites that sill look rather old. It kind of sucks but it gets the job done

I found this rather cool weather webpage with it.

http://wttr.in

HA thats great. I will be book marking this lol

13 hours ago, LAwLz said:

I mean, it's not like we already have several major websites not functioning properly outside of Chrome.

Heck, Spectrum (my ISP, formerly TWC) constantly tells me that my Opera browser - which uses the same Blink rendering engine as Chrome - is not supported and I should use one of their recommended browsers.  So, what do they recommend?  Chrome, Firefox, Safari and Internet Explorer!  They recommend IE over Opera, which uses the exact same engine as Chrome.  They don't even recommend Edge, which has replaced IE in Windows.

Only reason I use them is because of the great offer they gave me.

There was literally no good justifcation to use chrome even before this mess. Yet this thread is a perfect example of how some people will look for any excuse to continue using it for incomprehensible "reasons" that can only be concluded by those with the ability to utilize logic that they simply can't stop hoping on the trend bandwagon.

This is what happens when you contribute to a company like google holding the majority of market share. Now they will abuse the position they hold because it's far more profitable to not have their ad network and data harvesting business models being restricted upon.

What does windows 10 and ET have in common?

They are both constantly trying to phone home.

• 1 month later...

Chrome will start disabling popular ad-blocker plugins when it starts blocking chrome.webRequest in changes done by Google’s Manifest V3.

ublock orgin and many others will stop working as they rely on this API to intercept and block requests for ADS.

The release is set to come out very shortly sometime this month. Users should be prepared to use an alternate browser or give up the ad blocker plugins that are in installed.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kateoflahertyuk/2019/08/01/warning-issued-over-google-chrome-ad-blocking-plans/

https://www.xda-developers.com/google-chrome-manifest-v3-ad-blocker-extension-api/

https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/forum/#!msg/chromium-extensions/qFNF3KqNd2E/uZlWrml1BQAJ

3 minutes ago, tech.guru said:

give up the ad blocker plugins that are in installed.

Until they are updated to work with the new Chrome...

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

Or just.. not update..

Tho if this happens I'm def switching to Firefox

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

Ever since rumor of this nonsense started spreading last year I switched to FF and really haven't looked back. Chrome does absolutely nothing better than FF in my case.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

26 minutes ago, imreloadin said:

Reveal hidden contents

JK...who the fuck uses Chrome anymore? Firefox FTW!

Anybody who needs to run more than 1 browser profile at a time since Firefox nuked addons like ProfileSwitcher with the killing of the old addon API around FF 55-60.

Chrome on the other hand? "Add New Profile", log in to the profile account, make a shortcut for it on the desktop or taskbar - bada bing, bada boom - you can now separate your YT browsing habits from your Facebook habits, or contrast and compare prices of items on places like AliExpress between being logged in and logged out by loading the page in 2 separate profiles. Also; using VPN extensions like Windscribe in each profile to make all your browsing come out from various points in the world is nice.

Firefox on the other hand? you gotta fuck around with shortcut commands from a desktop shortcut (since pinning to the taskbar doesn't keep those commands) each time you want to open a separate profile whilst waiting for an addon like Profile Switcher to show up once again.

FireFox has gotten quite good, especially at blocking with the default stuff like UBlock, Privacy Badger, and their own built in anti-tracking stuff and containers (similar to the mentioned profiles).

Google's whole reason for chrome was to have it report stuff back on you to them.

Edit: adding in link to containers add on (mine is built in, must've been part of the experiment) for @Technous285

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/containers

2 hours ago, Technous285 said:

Anybody who needs to run more than 1 browser profile at a time since Firefox nuked addons like ProfileSwitcher with the killing of the old addon API around FF 55-60.

Chrome on the other hand? "Add New Profile", log in to the profile account, make a shortcut for it on the desktop or taskbar - bada bing, bada boom - you can now separate your YT browsing habits from your Facebook habits, or contrast and compare prices of items on places like AliExpress between being logged in and logged out by loading the page in 2 separate profiles. Also; using VPN extensions like Windscribe in each profile to make all your browsing come out from various points in the world is nice.

Firefox on the other hand? you gotta fuck around with shortcut commands from a desktop shortcut (since pinning to the taskbar doesn't keep those commands) each time you want to open a separate profile whilst waiting for an addon like Profile Switcher to show up once again.

This seems like a very limited use case...

Damn, I hope Ublock Origin gets updated for the new Chrome then. I use Firefox for everything else, but for some reason Twitch livestreams/VODs are unwatchable for me on FF; I need to use Chrome.

4 hours ago, Technous285 said:

Firefox does that using Containers. Not part of browser yet, but is their own official addon. Also, I've never seen anyone use profiles in any browser. Hell, most people I've heard about only use one Windows profile.

Firefox

Opera

Vivaldi (Opera cousin)

49 minutes ago, Cora_Lie said:

Firefox

Opera

Vivaldi (Opera cousin)

Opera since Version 15 is a Chrome-Clone, powered by Chromium (seriously, just install one specific Opera extension to allow access to the Chrome extension store, and you got all those extra options in extensions for Opera). Version 12 was the last desktop version of the pre-Chromium era, and 13 or 14 was the version for mobile devices like the Nintendo DS.

I haven't messed with Vivaldi in ages, so not sure if that's become a Chrome-Clone itself by moving to Chromium too, but I wouldn't be surprised at this point.