Ad Buster Buster - Chrome to limit ad blocking to Enterprise users only

rcmaehl

Source:

9-5 Google

Summary:

Google has moved ahead with Manifest V3, which will now limit as blocking to Enterprise users only

Quotes/Excepts:

January, Google announced a proposed change to Chrome’s extensions system, Manifest V3, that would stop current ad blockers from working efficiently. In a response to the overwhelming negative feedback, Google is standing firm on Chrome’s ad blocking changes, sharing that current ad blocking capabilities will be restricted to enterprise users. Manifest V3 comprises a major change to Chrome’s extensions..., including a revamp to the permissions system and a fundamental change to the way ad blockers operate. Modern ad blockers use Chrome’s webRequest API to block ads before they’re even downloaded. With the Manifest V3 proposal, Google deprecates the webRequest API’s ability to block a particular request before it’s loaded. Google has responded to some of the various issues. The most notable aspect of their response, however, is a single sentence buried in the text, clarifying their changes to ad blocking and privacy blocking extensions.Chrome is deprecating the blocking capabilities of the webRequest API in Manifest V3,.Google is essentially saying that Chrome will still have the capability to block unwanted content, but this will be restricted to only paid, enterprise users of Chrome. This is likely to allow enterprise customers to develop in-house Chrome extensions, not for ad blocking usage. Google hasn’t budged on their changes to content blockers, meaning that ad blockers will need to switch to a less effective, rules-based system.Chrome currently imposes a limit of 30,000 rules, while popular ad blocking rules lists like EasyList use upwards of 75,000 rules. Google claims that they’re looking to increase this number, depending on performance tests, but couldn’t commit to anything specific. The lead developer of uBlock Origin pointing out that allowing ad blockers goes completely against Google’s business model. Google’s primary business is incompatible with unimpeded content blocking. Now that Google Chrome product has achieve high market share, the content blocking concerns as stated in its 10K filing are being tackled. Google themselves have even admitted as such in a recent...filing by Alphabet... in which ad blocking extensions are labeled as a “risk factor” to Google’s revenues.Technologies have been developed to make customizable ads more difficult or to block the display of ads altogether and some providers of online services have integrated technologies that could potentially impair the core functionality of third-party digital advertising. With that in mind, the change makes a great deal of sense, when you think of Chrome as a way for Google to better deliver ads to your devices. By allowing in-depth ad blockers to continue to function, they’re allowing for a direct, negative impact on their largest revenue stream. Chrome’s enterprise users get an exception because they’re a separate revenue stream.

My thoughts:

This is a bit sad to hear, especially now that with the creation of Chrome based Edge, Google owns the mass majority of web browsers. Will this change finally cause the end of Google's majority ownership?

Edited by rcmaehl
Clean up formatting

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

they forgot one key detail. chromium is open-source. if consumers want a browser with chromium's rendering engine but no restrictions on ad blockers it will be developed. 

also don't forget that firefox is a thing. safari is a thing for macOS users. there are open-source browsers that are kinda their own thing, like Waterfox, Pale moon, Midori etc. 

She/Her

Just now, Mr. horse said:

Why not put add blockikg out side of browser? Say some sort of forewall app that blocks the add domains and stuff?

Pihole. Might be time for me to make one

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

3 minutes ago, rcmaehl said:

Pihole. Might be time for me to make one

Pihole doesn't work against ads that are delivered as part of systems that also deliver legitimate content, for example Cloudfront. They use randomized strings in the URL and also deliver regular content using the same method.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

13 minutes ago, Mr. horse said:

Why not put add blockikg out side of browser? Say some sort of forewall app that blocks the add domains and stuff?

It's an extra layer of pain to set up, so fewer people will use it. Also it will be more difficult to customise rules in case you need to whitelist a site, or add new blocks. Before adblockers even existed, people used the hosts file to point ad serving domains to a non-existant IP address so they never load.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

9 minutes ago, 2FA said:

Pihole doesn't work against ads that are delivered as part of systems that also deliver legitimate content, for example Cloudfront. They use randomized strings in the URL and also deliver regular content using the same method.

Very true. I use Pihole in combination with browser extensions for total ad blocking.

*laughs in Safari* 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

Good thing I'm not using Chrome anymore I guess. Rumor of that last year? made me switch to Firefox and honestly FF is notably faster than Chrome (especially for YouTube playback) so it really was for the better lmao

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Google adservices pulls more revenue than chome development, who'd have thunk it.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

50 minutes ago, rcmaehl said:

This is a bit sad to hear, especially now that with the creation of Chrome based Edge, Google owns the mass majority of web browsers. Will this change finally cause the end of Google's majority ownership?

Well, it will certainly send it to the IE corner in my case. I mean, Chrome already barely has the performance to run websites with content blocking; without it would be a nightmare even if you don't mind ads per se.

The RAM has been SAVED!!!!!!!!

I'm gonna go find my own tech support...

with BLACKJACK and HOOKERS!

(Welcome to LTT Forums)

While most normal users don’t use adblocker (unless they had some techie friend install one), this will likely drive many techie users back to Firefox. 

Chromium should retain the ability to block ads effectively though, since it’s open source. And if the official chromium branch follows Google, you can bet there’ll be a fork immediately. 

If Google wants to go down this route, they need to take the ad problem seriously and work on fixing bad ads.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

4 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

While most normal users don’t use adblocker (unless they had some techie friend install one), this will likely drive many techie users back to Firefox. 

Honestly if chrome turns to shit ill actually give this new edge a try.

1 minute ago, TrigrH said:

Honestly if chrome turns to shit ill actually give this new edge a try.

I won’t. Edge is borderline adware now. Literally every feature update it seems to try and become default again. And it bugs you to change it back to default. 

The rendering engine of Edge isn’t the problem. It’s the interface. Making the back end chromium WILL make extensions easier, but the interface is still subpar in my experience. 

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

1 hour ago, firelighter487 said:

they forgot one key detail. chromium is open-source. if consumers want a browser with chromium's rendering engine but no restrictions on ad blockers it will be developed. 

also don't forget that firefox is a thing. safari is a thing for macOS users. there are open-source browsers that are kinda their own thing, like Waterfox, Pale moon, Midori etc. 

I don't use Chrome myself either. Firefox on my Windows machine, and Chromium-based Samsung Browser on my Android (because it's performance is fastest on my particular device). Want to move to Firefox on Android for the longest time, but performance is pretty abysmal in comparison.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

18 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Chromium should retain the ability to block ads effectively though, since it’s open source. And if the official chromium branch follows Google, you can bet there’ll be a fork immediately. 

Brave is on their own fork. I imagine Edge will be too (if not already) since MS want more control over it, any half decent browser is just going to jump off the official branch that advertise their built in ad-blocking. so this will only really affect chrome, which i refuse to use anyway

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

Good thing I switched to Firefox in time. I knew there was a power play coming - that's what we get when everyone uses the same product from a megacorp. Firefox has its issues though, not least of which the browser itself is huge and resource hungry - I hope a new competitor rises soon, or at least someone repackages the Firefox engine into a more wieldy solution.

9 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Want to move to Firefox on Android for the longest time, but performance is pretty abysmal in comparison.

I've been using Firefox on my phone for a while, I'd say it's fast enough - if you haven't tried it recently I recommend taking another look.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

6 minutes ago, Arika S said:

Brave is on their own fork. I imagine Edge will be too (if not already) since MS want more control over it, any half decent browser is just going to jump off the official branch that advertise their built in ad-blocking. so this will only really affect chrome, which i refuse to use anyway

Oh Edge will fork immediately, if it hasn’t already. They will for sure want to integrate Microsoft technologies and services into it. 

1 hour ago, firelighter487 said:

Unfortunately, no.

I hate to sound like a broken record, but DRM is always there to ruin your day.

7 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Oh Edge will fork immediately, if it hasn’t already. They will for sure want to integrate Microsoft technologies and services into it. 

I don't see MS as being particularly anti ad or pro user freedom.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

That's great, I didn't need any less of a reason to hop on the Chrome train, but thanks Google, I guess.

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S | MB: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite | RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws V 32GB 3600MHz | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra | Case: Fractal Design Define R6 Blackout | SSD1: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | SSD2: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB | HDD1: Seagate Barracuda 2TB | HDD2: Seagate Barracuda 4TB | Monitors: Dell S2716DG + Asus MX259H  | Keyboard: Ducky Shine 5 (Cherry MX Brown) | PSU: Corsair RMx 850W

4 minutes ago, Sauron said:

I don't see MS as being particularly anti ad

anti-ad no, Edge (both the current non-chromium one and the dev beta) does have the ability to allow for adblockers to be added to it.

wish addblocking worked on the start menu.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

28 minutes ago, Arika S said:

anti-ad no, Edge (both the current non-chromium one and the dev beta) does have the ability to allow for adblockers to be added to it.

Yes, but I wouldn't count on them not to follow suit on this one.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

1 minute ago, Sauron said:

Yes, but I wouldn't count on them not to follow suit on this one.

guess it depends who the money goes to, when ads show on, let's say firefox without an ad-block, does any of the revenue from that ad go to Mozilla?

i would much more expect MS to bake ads directly into Edge to replace ad-blocked ones than just outright stop supporting adblockers

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒