Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CPotter

Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

I would love to see a video breaking down different sports technologies used in today's stat tracking obsessed culture.

I recently got back into golfing and the TrackMan Golf system is a seriously impressive piece of tech that I would love to see broken down and explored.  Maybe even a facility tour like you've done in the past as well.  This is just one example as well, I'm sure nearly every sport has some neat tech for not only training purposes, but also broadcasting and stat tracking.

Specifically related to the TrackMan Golf system some questions I would love to watch answers for are:

• What tech is used inside (beyond just that it uses Doppler Radar)
  • If the device is meant to sit behind the player, how is it able to track the club face angles
  • How is it able to identify what is a club, what is a ball, and track them separately
  • How accurate is the Doppler Radar data, is there room for improvement, if so what other tech are they looking into for improving that accuracy
  • Where/how did they start development (in relation to the above question, why did they go with doppler instead of LiDAR or some entirely different tech)

https://www.raptorcs.com/content/base/products.html

Well, why not? Build your own POWER9 system.

RYZEN 5 1500X | 8GB DDR4 | RX 570 4GB | OPTANE SSD 8 58GB | 240GB SSD | CORSAIR 88R

Spoiler

OK, i'm not even gonna build this, but is this a good workstation?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD Athlon X4 860K 3.7GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($72.99 @ Amazon) 
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($168.99 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-F2A88XM-D3H Micro ATX FM2+ Motherboard  ($62.99 @ NCIX US) 
Memory: Samsung 32GB (1 x 32GB) DDR3-1866 Memory  ($256.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Storage: Hitachi Ultrastar He8 8TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($479.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 960 2GB SuperSC ACX 2.0+ Video Card  ($179.99 @ NCIX US) 
Case: Lian-Li PC-V2130WX ATX Full Tower Case  ($499.99 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: EVGA 430W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply  ($23.98 @ Newegg) 
Total: $1745.91
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-02-09 12:48 EST-0500

-me 3y ago

There is a new ( or no so new ) Asus TUF gaming laptos fx505dy and fx 705 with ADM 3RD GEN RYZEN and RX560X /GTX 1660TI  ... at least is an option from all intel setups

Completely new to the world of PC’s. I’m looking to build a Streaming PC for my partner and LTT was the first place I thought of. I thought a good video idea would be for a series of builds based around people having zero experience but wanting specific outcomes. In my case I want to build a PC for her to stream PS4 content from. I’m currently on a budget but in a few months will be able to afford better gear. In this scenario I think a good video would be highlighting the most crucial components that I should start with and then run through options for the others. I don’t know if it would be accurate but I was assuming the critical points to start would be CPU, Mother board and power supply. I would personally also get the most appropriate case from the beginning and upgrade the rest of the parts from there. As I’m a total newb it would also be helpful if there was an amazon list that also included required tools and anything else I might need. Cheers in advance, hope this was the right forum

Posted (edited)

I’ve been running airvpn on a windows 10 PC in my closet for a couple years now. Sharing the VPN TAP adapter “internet” with my ASUS cellspot router and I can’t tell you how happy I am with this setup! I’ve used several other VPN companies and some work and some don’t but AirVPN does work great!! The only device that ever sees my ISP is that computer in the closet running windows 10. I don’t ever have to wait for the VPN to connect or disconnect on all other router connected devices and if I want to change the server I can either remote into that computer or just walk into the closet and change the server in moments; and I only have to re-share the tap adapter if I restart the computer! Wondering if you want to do a Vid on how to do this on windows, Linux – etc. hopefully on a tablet, mini PC around 100 bucks not including the cost of software and OS’s, or monitors. But I’m sure you like me would like to use Gigabit 2 NATs this way almost everyone can get into a much higher security environment and it will work for the foreseeable future… I think this by its self is a very good way to seriously get people into securing their lives! And if some are worried about latency for their games you can also find a way to around that too… also the reason for not using the router should be self-evident. the processor in the router is too slow to handle high speeds - I think my ASUS is only about 3-4 megabits and it's too difficult to change servers! So, if you have any questions about how I set this up let me know… I think it will work with tunnel bear.

Edited by dudemanngroup

Hey team, i would love to see a video on explaining ram.. Specially clock speeds and timmings but for beginners.

i have 2x8gb ddr4 dimms and i just upgraded to add another 2x16gb...  no clue on how to dial in my clocks and timmings..  would love the advice in an easy simple way :)

Ryzen 5 -2600

MSI B350 Tomahawk

EVGA 1080ti Hybrid

2x8gb Ram

256 PCIE m.2

On 3/29/2019 at 11:15 AM, BSCASR said:

Hi everyone. This is just a suggestion for a vid combining items that are possibly still in your inventory.

After watching your youtube videos showing both a mineral oil pc and another liquid cooled pc using an aquarium chiller I couldn't help ask if you ever try combining the two? It would probably take a full night to bring the temperature down on all the mineral oil. This could prevent shorting of the components if the temperature is set below ambient due to condensation. Another option to add would be to add insulation around the aquarium to prevent heat gain from the ambient air and isolate the mineral oil pc as well.

Thanks for reading.

Have a good one.

if you cool mineral oil too much, it gets too thick and will inevitably start to isolate rather than dissipate heat

16 hours ago, jerkwagon said:

Hey team, i would love to see a video on explaining ram.. Specially clock speeds and timmings but for beginners.

i have 2x8gb ddr4 dimms and i just upgraded to add another 2x16gb...  no clue on how to dial in my clocks and timmings..  would love the advice in an easy simple way :)

Fast As Possible has two videos (that I know of) on the subject:

~Remember to quote posts to continue support on your thread~

CPU:  Intel  i7-4790k | RAM: 4x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws Z | Cooling: XSPC/EK/Bitspower loop | MOBO: MSI Z97-G45 | PSU: Seasonic Prime 750 Titanium  

SSD: 250GB Crucial MX200 (OS) | 1TB Crucial MX500 | Case: Phanteks Evolv X | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 (with EK Block) | HDD: 1x Seagate Barracuda 2TB

I've been waiting for it quite sometimes but i think it doesn't concern the majorities as it seemed so, so here goes:

(1) Some people, like myself are lacking the budget in pc building so as for right now I got a 1000$ budget for my new mid-range setup but here's the catch, there are far too many + confusing type(?) of gpu out there of the same release(?), for instant: GTX 1660 comes from many different brands and every of these brands provide different extra features (OC, WINDFORCE, ETC).

So my suggestion is, could you guys make a "tier ranks" of gpu of the same release, if that makes any sense, so that people like me which 1000$ is all we got and could not afford to experience the "oh damn i could've get a better part w the same price", specifically regarding the different type of gpu of the same type. Also for us to make the most efficient purchase of the gpu selected (price x features).

I'm well aware that these gpu only differ just a bit here and there but i can't stress this enough, the 1000$ setup is gonna be the source of income in the future so to chance it by getting any kind of gpu of the same release is quite overwhelming for me.

(2) A video about best mid-range setup for hardcore users (12-18hrs of usage <gaming+streaming/editing>) because most of the videos I've watched focused on how the cooling system cover up the OC activities but only at the time being, im curious if it's 12-18hrs of usage whats the difference it would make.

It has been nearly a year since the last Viewer's Choice.

With the release of AMD Zen+ 2000-series CPU (it was not covered last time), Nvidia 20-series RTX & 16-series GTX cards and Intel 9th Gen CPU refreshes, it's a great time to see the purchasing trend of PC components to gauge the the adoption of RTX and answer the age-old question like "Intel vs AMD".

"Mankind’s greatest mistake will be its inability to control the technology it has created."

Video I would like to see is can a single mCable work with multiple output devices?   I have an HDMI 6x2 Matrix switcher and if you were to install and mCable on the output will it still work?  Will it improve inputs from all devices?  Currently I run through mine my PC, Cable Tv, PS3, PS4, and my Blu-ray Smart DVD player. 

Wonder if Linus would do a video testing just how good these cables are in a Matrix Switcher setting.

On the WAN show 5/17, Linus expressed his dissatifsaction with the entire smartwatch market, and that he is making a video about his smartwatch which is useless that he is wearing for a month. I have bought three smart watches and felt much the same way, UNTIL I got to number 3. I tried the apple watch 1, casio pro trek, then..  Garmin Descent.

Linus should, or have someone who does sports try, the garmin descent or fenix 5. They are very similar, except descent is scuba diving depths certified. I purchased the descent since it was a new model in 2018, and while I do not sync it to my phone, I get around 10-14 day battery life wearing it daily, which is constantly recording heartrate (from the watch itself), steps, as well as monitors how often I am standing or sitting. It is excellent in that it pairs very easily with other fitness devices such as ant+ or bluetooth.

its actually amazing, and it looks absolutely killer

2 hours ago, yourbiggestfanStan said:

On the WAN show 5/17, Linus expressed his dissatifsaction with the entire smartwatch market, and that he is making a video about his smartwatch which is useless that he is wearing for a month. I have bought three smart watches and felt much the same way, UNTIL I got to number 3. I tried the apple watch 1, casio pro trek, then..  Garmin Descent.

Linus should, or have someone who does sports try, the garmin descent or fenix 5. They are very similar, except descent is scuba diving depths certified. I purchased the descent since it was a new model in 2018, and while I do not sync it to my phone, I get around 10-14 day battery life wearing it daily, which is constantly recording heartrate (from the watch itself), steps, as well as monitors how often I am standing or sitting. It is excellent in that it pairs very easily with other fitness devices such as ant+ or bluetooth.

its actually amazing, and it looks absolutely killer

holy schnoz... That's a $1000 watch!

Ok say I just Bought a 2080TI and an I9 9900K now except for the fact that I have to have an MB that will support the 9900k and a Power Supply to power everything can I cheap out on everything else? like get the cheapest things on Amazon or Newegg and get a killer setup or is there a point where the performance will drop with the cheaper components?

On 5/16/2019 at 4:05 PM, NunoLava1998 said:

https://www.raptorcs.com/content/base/products.html

Well, why not? Build your own POWER9 system.

Maybe AMD could be willing to send over some Vega 20 cards to actually test the PCIe 4?

That could be interesting... though to actually see the effect you'd probably be running some sort of AI training code.

Hmm, a cats-per-second battle between Wendell and Linus? I'd watch that.

After losing about a week's worth of sleep to scrapyard wars (and other late night tech tip videos), I'd like next season to be building a whole computer, that is, including monitor, mouse, keyboard and speakers.

That and I've been wondering recently, just how old of tech can you get second hand and still be able to play new games well? Like, basic 30fps low settings but playable? Is it even playable at that point? Can a gtx660 even DO 4k?

hello there . ive come up with a crazy yet possibly interesting idea regarding liquid cooling. ive followed/ viewed all your vids regarding this subject and enjoyed them all especially the whole room system (which if you guys had more time could of turned out excellent). now here is my idea. how about a PC cooling loop where all the extraneous equipment ie. reservoirs,pumps, fans and rads were placed in a separate case/enclosure ala' cooling tower style.  i think it would allow easier control of in case temps as the heat producing elements of the cooling system would be remote mounted and it would allow for either more components in the main case or a smaller main case.  this could also allow for some more crazy case designs from builders. also this may make a great challenge build between LTT employees. 

what do you think?

Make a video about the company Lian Li.  Who they are, and why their PC cases are the most impractical looking, artistic, and overpriced.

Intel Core i5 6600K @ 3.50GHz -- Gigabyte Z170XP-SLI-CF -- Team Group 16 GB DDR4 2400 (16-16-16-39) -- Gigabyte GTX 1070 -- NZXT S340 -- Windows 10 64-Bit

11 hours ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

They have kinda run out of good ideas for it i think. They have done the good ones a few bad ones too now

just check the suggestions forums, LLT can't seriously be that far up their own ass.

How about Intel HEDT plus NVIDIA SLI for under $1000 no older than 5 years?

Boom, there you go, perfect idea. Make it happen.

@LinusTech @CPotter

Sorry about my spelling sometimes. My $1200 laptop has a $2 keyboard.

How about fresh look at backpacks for mobile tech warriors of 2019?

Been since 2015 since we last saw ones. Nowadays they have plenty of new protection features, charging ports etc :)

New playstation 5 would potentially be great video for modding/hacking purposes: convert it into PC running linux or windows.  Cheap gaming rig.

CPU: 8 core/16 threads at 3.2Ghz with a Zen2 architecture.

• GPU: Navi-based with AMD next-gen features at 12.6 to 14.2 teraflops.
  • Memory: 24GB total with 20GB GDDR6 at 880GB/S and 4GB DDR4 for the operating system.
  • 2 TB SSD.